Halloween Horror Nights 24 Discussion

JDW

And here, something that's important to keep in mind in regards to this idea is that the first 10 years of the event, HHN had either 0 or only 1 zone. That puts a major limit on what "zones" to pick for the first two weeks. I did up a list of the 24 years and which zones would be best used either because of the simplicity of the costumes or importance of that zone. You'll be amazed at how many repeat costumes there are (and more importantly, how many costumes they're basically using this year).

’91 – No zones: Random costumes

’92 – No zones: Random costumes

’93 – No zones: Random costumes

’94 – Horrorwood: Movie monsters

’95 – Horrorwood: Movie monsters

’96 – Midway of the Bizarre: Clowns

’97 – Midway of the Bizarre: Clowns

’98 – Midway of the Bizarre: Clowns

’99 – Midway of the Bizarre: Clowns

’00 – Clown Attack (Jack’s zone): Clowns

’01 – Midway of the Bizarre: Clowns

’02 – Port of Evil (Caretakers zones): Cloaks

’03 – Toxic City or Immortal Island: Chemical suits or Orcs/Beasts

’04 – Field of Screams: Rednecks

’05 – Terra Guard Run (Terra Queen/Storyteller): Cloaks

’06 – Blood Masquerade or Deadtopolis: Vampires or Street clothes

’07 – Midway of the Bizarre: Clowns

’08 – Body Collectors: Streets of Blood: Black jackets

’09 – Horrorwood Die-In: Movie monsters

’10 – Years of Fear: Random costumes

’11 – Acid Assault or Canyon of Dark Souls: Street clothes or Cloaks

’12 – Horror Unearthed: Random costumes

’13 – TWD: Street clothes

’14 – Purge: Street clothes

Random costumes – 5 Nights

Movie Monsters – 3 Nights

Clowns – 7 Nights

Cloaks – 3 Nights

Street clothes – 4 Nights

Black jackets – 1 Night

Redneck – 1 Night

• Like 1

My thoughts were this. A "best of" year would be great, but it's been done before in '10, '06, and even a house in '04. So what if we did "best of....twisted". Like say all the memories of HHNs past have been....festering...in an alternate reality, a dimension of Hell, where Fear resides. There they've aged and melded together, becoming something even more horrific.

Edited by kelise

Here's what they should do next year.

I'm not sure how many nights total it will be (I'm not sure how many nights it is total this year), but I know it's around 25. Since it's the 25th year, the lead scarezone (and the main banner on the arch) should literally be from each previous year. The sets can be fairly generic, but it's different costumes/masks/make-up every night.

THAT'S how you market an anniversary. For the Icon years (likely Hell Week anyway), feature the Icons in the zone. The final night, it's a mix of everything. If we have 26 nights, preview a future zone.

"More houses than ever!"

"New scares every night!"

Although this would so cool and amazing, I don't think it would go well with the GP... I mean just going through school everyone asks what was your favorite house/zone and imagine having the confusion of a different one every night. Not only that, but personally I would feel ripped if they did something I wanted to see on a night that I could not make it. I just feel that this would cause a major problem.

Now I know this is a very very VERY slim chance of ever happening, and I could be wrong but I think someone has said this idea before, have IOA and Uni be two separate events and have Uni be all Icons and original houses while IOA be filled with IP houses and zones. The problem with this is most people will only go to the IP/IOA event and the more diehard fans to the Uni/Original night. Plus this will mean double the amount of workers and double the amount of money to run the houses and rides. Plus again this would confuse so many people with "which one should I buy?" and "what if I bought the IOA ticket but want to also go to Uni on the same night?" I mean it can be done, looking back to sweet 16 (which I heard sucked). Also then diehard fans would have to go two nights because lets be real here, who wouldn't go to both parks to see how they run?

• Like 1

Someone always gets upset every year over something. Get used to the iP's because they're going nowherer buddy.

then at least do houses based on timeless classics and not movies that just came out.

look how well American werewolf and Halloween did, old movies, movies that have a lot of fans, and they bring in the crowds.

I doubt anyone cares about Dracula this year or even From Dusk, and look at how much love AVP is getting, even if the movies suck people are still going because they are fans

t

Won't happen, but if they where to do such thing, believe me that IOA would house the originals, and the studios would hold the IPs. To be a so called "diehard fan" does not mean that you only idolize the "original" content. Who writes these silly rules. After all, in the very beginning they had The People Under The Stairs (IP IP IP IP) and Universal Monsters (ip's any way you slice it) but for some reason, you're more of a fan if you like certain things then the rest of us (the majority) who enjoys every facet and ocurring changes throughout the years.Go figure.

• Like 2

then at least do houses based on timeless classics and not movies that just came out.

look how well American werewolf and Halloween did, old movies, movies that have a lot of fans, and they bring in the crowds.

I doubt anyone cares about Dracula this year or even From Dusk, and look at how much love AVP is getting, even if the movies suck people are still going because they are fans

t

Haven't they been bringing things that pull the crowds the past few years? Where have you been? It's not about age, look at cabin in the woods, evil dead, relatively new movies, how about TWD, still brings the crowds. I don't care much about dracula untold, did it once and that's enough for me, but that doesen't mean i'm gonna put my panties in a bunch over one house. BTW, From Dusk Till Dawn is one of my favorite houses, and i was not expecting much of it nether, but loved it and have it even higher then AVP in my personal list. Different people like different things. Let's get over it.

• Like 1

As much as I'd love to see all original mazes next year for a "Best of HHN". It's not going to happen. IP's will probably be the majority of houses from now on. IPs sell tickets. Now that Universal got a taste of the money it generates, no way in hell they'll go back to old school HHN. 21 was a great year. One IP with the rest original concepts, it was perfect but will probably never be done again. 5 or 6 IPs from now on at least.

As much as I'd love to see all original mazes next year for a "Best of HHN". It's not going to happen. IP's will probably be the majority of houses from now on. IPs sell tickets. Now that Universal got a taste of the money it generates, no way in hell they'll go back to old school HHN. 21 was a great year. One IP with the rest original concepts, it was perfect but will probably never be done again. 5 or 6 IPs from now on at least.

You said it, 21 was indeed a great year. It seems like it was forever ago. Too bad nothing similar will ever happen again.

• Like 1

I mean it can be done, looking back to sweet 16 (which I heard sucked).

What in the hell does 2006 have to do with having the event in both parks? Also, I liked 2006 a lot (not the best, but still good) and I've been going since '99. May I also remind everybody that HHN has NEVER sucked, it has had good years and amazing years (and maybe a couple so-so years) but it has never sucked.

Now all these impossible ideas that are getting thrown around. Logistically speaking, doing the event in two parks is a terrible idea, more people working for no reason other to be able to say the event is in both parks. Universal Studios already has enough room for all the houses they do (and they've enough room to add more if they so desire) and there is room for another scarezone. The same goes for IOA if they decide to do it there instead, they've plenty of spots for houses and we all know how perfectly they can utilize each island. Not only are people saying both parks should/could get used, but you're suggesting that they basically hold two events, one in each house, literally doubling the number of houses/scare zones/workers which is so far fetched I can't even imagine it happening.

And let me just say that I understand Uni would like to just keep cranking out IP's to keep selling tickets BUT they're going to screw themselves if they keep doing 5 or 6 a year because there aren't that many desirable IPs left. I'm not against IPs, some of my favorite houses ever are IPs in fact, I'm just saying, not every IP is good/desired (Dracula) and Uni is flying through the good ones at an unstoppable pace. Please Uni, slow down and worry about quality, not quantity.

Edited by 4thdegree

What in the hell does 2006 have to do with having the event in both parks? Also, I liked 2006 a lot and I've been going since '99. Logistically speaking, doing the event in two parks is a terrible idea, more people working for no reason other to be able to say the event is in both parks. Universal Studios already has enough room for all the houses they do (and they've enough room to add more if they so desire) and there is room for another scarezone. The same goes for IOA if they decide to do it there instead, they've plenty of spots for houses and we all know how perfectly they can utilize each island. And let me just say that I understand Uni would like to just keep cranking out IP's to keep selling tickets BUT they're going to screw themselves if they keep doing 5 or 6 a year because there aren't that many desirable IPs left.

whoops that was my bad, for some reason got sweet 16 and 2004 when they did both parks mixed up (i'm so embarrassed :blush:). Yeah I would've loved sweet 16 looking back at it, but the year it had both parks open 2004 NOT 2006 I heard was horrible and had a lot of dead space.

whoops that was my bad, for some reason got sweet 16 and 2004 when they did both parks mixed up (i'm so embarrassed :blush:). Yeah I would've loved sweet 16 looking back at it, but the year it had both parks open 2004 NOT 2006 I heard was horrible and had a lot of dead space.

Hahaha, you're fine, I was soooo confused, 2004 was arguably the best year ever. I will forever remember Field of Screams because it was okay but that was the most excited I have ever been for a scarezone, just the idea of a zone connecting the parks and it being a cornfield which could potentially be the greatest scare zone ever. And walking through Ghost Town is one of my most distinct hhn memories ever Edited by 4thdegree
  • Like 1

And HHN 21 was the year I threw up my hands and went, "Done."

Further proof of how important the initial frame of reference is for the event.

I enjoyed 21 more than 19 or 20. I guess it's just a matter of opinion.

I enjoyed 21 more than 19 or 20. I guess it's just a matter of opinion.

I thought the houses and zones were good but Lady Luck was embarrassing, she looked awful, it kinda messed up everything else for me, all I can think of from 2011 is her god awful mask

• Like 1

2004 was an amazing year. It's my bar-none favorite. I distinctly remember every zone and house. And the amount of dead space they had was no worse than, cough, Central Park around the lagoon to Beetlejuice.

PLUS- It had one of the best Bill and Teds ever. (Dr. Evil and Mr. Burns kidnap George W. Bush and John Kerry so they can be president and Vice President.)

Edited by Legacy
  • Like 2

I just thought the surprise about lady luck was that it was a dude in drag.

lady-luck.jpg

Great houses NEvermore, The In Between, Winter's night, Nightingales: Blood Prey, H.R. Bloodengutz presents Holidays of Horror, Saws n Steam: Into the Machine, The Forsaken, The Thing... all top notch houses.

I agree though they are burning through the good heavy hitting IPS. I honestly believe Friday the 13th, NOES, TCM, Halloween, and TWD will be their IP lineup next year... and honestly wouldn't complain. I mean I don't care for Friday or Halloween all that much... I'm resigned to the belief TWD will never go away. whatever I still have a good time and each year I dial back the excitement a little more so anything above "meh" is good to me at this point. I did watch a special on the best haunts in the country on the travel channel the other day (HHN wasn't in the list) and made me yearn for something a little different but otherwise HHN is a well-rounded event that may have become overtly commercial and saturated but, I think, is still worth the 40.00 to go.

• Like 1

I'd be totally cool with them doing a 70's/80's classics year with maybe a couple originals and/or newer IPs

HHN 25

A strange kid, who is kind of an outcast in his hometown, is a major horror movie buff who has been bullied by the "popular kids his entire life. It's now his senior year of high school and he is ready to begin a new chapter in his life. He recently found out that all those kids who've treated him like a freak are gonna go to an old campground on Halloween weekend to party and watch their favorite scary movies/shows on a projector that one of their parents own. His obsession with horror movies has lead him to realize there's only one logical option, he plans to kill each of the kids who have wronged him over the years as they are all gathered to watch the movies.

Houses -

NOES

TCM

Sinister

Psycho

Exorcist

Ho1000C

Original (Spiders, basically an unofficial Arachnophobia house)

Original (Icon house set in the woods)

AHS (super house)

• Like 1