The "Official" Annual Discussion On The Fate Of HHN

Ande

hunnylvr beat me to it. HHN is a main stay and isnt going anywhere. Halloween is too huge now a days. I think its right behind Xmas for money spent. They'll always make money on it, just depends how MUCH money they want to make. how much effort they want to put into it. The profits will be there.

• Like 2

I know you all that live in Florida have been going forever and the event probably means something a little different to you all as you've probably seen the event at its worst and at its best.

Me, being from a few states away the quality of the event never really affected me because I had no frame of reference, living in Virginia for most of my life, I had two Halloween events to choose from being Howl-O-Scream in Busch Gardens Williamsburg which up until like 3 years ago was basically how JDW just described HHN's first few years. Then I had Halloween Haunt at Kings Dominion in Richmond which was basically just blood splattered on all the walls lol not really I actually liked it but there was so much blood and gore compared to HOS that it kinda threw me off...

Then in 2007 my brother showed me the website for Jack's Carnival of Carnage the games seemed fun and event looked awesome... we didnt get to go but it looked amazing, still no frame of reference because at the time Michael Roddy didnt really let his event on Youtube or anywhere else for that matter. Then 2008 came and the website updates were like nothing I had ever seen in my entire life... The houses ALL interested me the Scarezones sounded out of this world and I had no idea a Halloween event could look this cool in the weeks and months leading up to the event and more than anything I wanted to come face to face with Bloody Mary. Then I looked at the full reveal and saw that there was NOTHING from the year before which was Revolutionary to me as the 2 events in Virginia would add one or two things but be mostly the same event year in and year out... unfortunately we had money trouble that year and missed out again!

Finally 2009 came and I made my parents promise we could experience the event this year, we had to give up the event at Kings Dominion that year as it was the only way we could afford to go. (HOS was free with season passes to BG which we had) So we watched every update and with every death in the Universal Palace Theatre I got a little more excited and the. Julian appeared with the full reveal and we got to tour the UPT on the website and everything just seemed perfect... My dad being a huge fan of the classic monsters got what he wanted not to mention he was a huge Chucky fan and me and my brother got to see if it was everything we had imagined for the past two years and let me tell you, every house was better than anything we had ever done before and even though the lines to get in were basically quadruple what we were used to it didnt effect us.. Getting to see the UPT from the commercial and being greeted by The Usher on the screen and in person just made me fall in love with the idea of seeing these characters in person...

So I guess we all see HHN as something different but I see it as giving an ENTIRE experience that nothing else ever even came close to, and yes the IPs of 2009 were all great I mean SAW is my favorite movie franchise and the house was fantastic to say the least... but I just feel at this point, other places are starting to get HHN quality houses and yes imitators have attempted stories and icons but that alone is what put Orlando on my radar and if I was doing this all over again and they just showed IPs IDK if I ever will have found out the amazing event that is one of my only passions throughout the year...

• Like 2

I'm not saying anything will happen in the near future. What I'm saying is that HHN is no longer necessary to Orlando. Orlando could cancel HHN now and still grow in the black. It wasn't like that five years ago.

Bringing up Singapore is logical, except for the simple fact that HHN is designed, operated and approved by the individual parks. That's why Hollywood went five years without any Halloween event while Orlando's was growing. Hollywood didn't feel they needed it whereas Orlando did, and that's with Knott's down the road. The shared IPs in the US are a result of synergy and corporate strategies, not necessarily individual theme park operations. It's important to note that Singapore didn't have separate ticket events prior to HHN. It's also necessary to realize that Halloween is just now becoming a really popular holiday in East Asia. It's different markets and different needs.

Whose to say that it's a certainty HHN will be there in ten years? Twenty? Another recession could hit. Strategies could change. Gory, adult-oriented theme park events could suddenly fall out of favor and massively family oriented events could suddenly be huge. It doesn't look like Hollywood is getting Bill and Ted this year. Change to suit the market. It happens.

And I'll say this... when it comes to cost/returns, I wouldn't be surprised if something that's "Not-So-Scary" has a better percentage because it doesn't require a massive cost in design, production and hiring for something that will only last a month.

• Like 1

And before Fright Nights there were 0 zip, ninguna.

Actually there were a lot of Mom and Pop haunts. Universal effectively killed local haunts... which does sadden me. And of course you had Terror On church Street which was really cool... before it moved anyway.

• Like 1

I'm not saying anything will happen in the near future. What I'm saying is that HHN is no longer necessary to Orlando. Orlando could cancel HHN now and still grow in the black. It wasn't like that five years ago.

Bringing up Singapore is logical, except for the simple fact that HHN is designed, operated and approved by the individual parks. That's why Hollywood went five years without any Halloween event while Orlando's was growing. Hollywood didn't feel they needed it whereas Orlando did, and that's with Knott's down the road. The shared IPs in the US are a result of synergy and corporate strategies, not necessarily individual theme park operations. It's important to note that Singapore didn't have separate ticket events prior to HHN. It's also necessary to realize that Halloween is just now becoming a really popular holiday in East Asia. It's different markets and different needs.

Whose to say that it's a certainty HHN will be there in ten years? Twenty? Another recession could hit. Strategies could change. Gory, adult-oriented theme park events could suddenly fall out of favor and massively family oriented events could suddenly be huge. It doesn't look like Hollywood is getting Bill and Ted this year. Change to suit the market. It happens.

And I'll say this... when it comes to cost/returns, I wouldn't be surprised if something that's "Not-So-Scary" has a better percentage because it doesn't require a massive cost in design, production and hiring for something that will only last a month.

I can't even think like that because all it does is depress me. "Live in the now!" as Garth said on Wayne's World. I'll be happy every day I get to spend at HHN, and screw the future for now.

the icon doesn't need to have a house or even an entire scarezone made for them. But I miss having an Icon a lot. And thinking about the last two years, I think they could have made one of the characters in the street an Icon. For 2012 the Iniquitous could have been the icons of the event. last year one of the walkers could have been the main Icon leading the other walkers into the park. Universal already creates characters for the streets so I don't see what the problem is with making one of them the Icon of the event. have them show up on billboards and shirts (I know I would have loved to have an Iniquitous Icon t-shirt)

I understand some people don't care at all about icons and they don't want them to waste time on creating them, but they already have to create characters for the streets anyway. Why couldn't they create a Main character that is leading the rest? Last year they could have easily made one of the walkers the leader of the horde. Even the walker crawling on the floor could have technically been the Icon if they made a stage for him at the event. (same with the deer walker)

My point is that they don't even have to try too hard with coming up with an icon, they already had characters that could have worked as icons for the past 2 years.

For me it is nice to be able to see the character I Saw on the website and on billboards at the park. (It is almost like seeing a celebrity in person) They could just make it a photo op and have a little stage for the character. that would be enough for me as far as icons go. It could be something simple that doesn't take a lot of time or budget, Just like they did with the Lady Luck at the entrance of the park.

Edited by clash

Guest kiwisoup

I agree with a lot of what you say, but I really have to disagree with you here. HHN is a cash cow and it's not going anywhere. Halloween is now the second biggest holiday after Christmas. Think about it...not only does Universal get to charge full admission for Universal and IOA but they also get to charge people again for HHN and AGAIN for Express Passes. This event has to practically double their income on days that it runs. I mean you go during the day and seasonally it's pretty dead, but you come back that same night and the crowds are crazy. If family-friendly fun is what people wanted, there would be more people there during the day. Disney and SeaWorld already have the "family-friendly" Halloween thing pegged down and Universal does something different and more adult and that's what makes the event immensely popular...they want something intense. The past few years the event just gets busier and busier and ips pull more and more people to the park. There's no arguing that the ips are what drive crowds and this is Universal we are talking about. They keep adding more dates for the event, they opened HHN in singapore and Japan. You put a lot of emphasis on business...but the fact is that ceasing HHN would just flat out be bad business. It may not be keeping Universal afloat, but it's a huge draw of income and attendance.

Edited by kiwisoup

HHN might not be going anywhere but what if it becomes more child friendly?

I feel they already are forgetting "Horror" but it seems this may be the year they remember that.

Guest kiwisoup

HHN might not be going anywhere but what if it becomes more child friendly?

If they wanted to become more kid friendly they could add a trick or treat trail during the day or something, but I really think if family-friendly halloween festivities are on a families mind, they're basically already going to Disney without a second thought. It's the intensity and adult theme, alcohol, big horror franchises, etc that make HHN a draw.

I truly think there is a sweet spot for Horror Nights and they just haven't hit it yet. IPs are here to stay, this is true, and UO is making tons of money off of them, but that doesn't mean the event needs to be cleanly cut like a cookie every year. Why no Icons? Why not have a cool icon, with a cool back story, and a killer house? Depending on the icon they could even maybe have a scarezone connected to it if they wanted. Everything doesn't have to be connected by a story line, or an underlying theme like they've attempted to do in the past. I think the fans would adore that, and it'd be one of original houses and or zones for that year. The character doesn't even have to be the face of the event, it could just be a character for that house that the fans could follow through the story leading up to the event. One might argue how Lady Luck was a failure, but to me, that character was a failure from the very beginning because the character was to far fetched to be done in a way that could be done at an event like HHN. Also, if they can't think up one cool character that could work, then I think it's time for some fresh, new minds in the creative department, because there are many people on just this forum who could think up something wicked, interesting, and doable. It's not just about what the character is, it's also about who they are, what they do, and what there back story is that makes them good characters. Bloody Mary is a character we all know, but the story they gave her was incredibly fun and interesting. HHN has definitely sold out, but that doesn't mean the event has to forget what it once was, and it also doesn't mean they can't think up new ideas either. A "Walking Dead" house can coexist with an icon house. Walking dead might bring in the crowds, but icon house can show the people that HHN is more than just a place where you can walk through your favorite TV show or movie.

Edited by Goo
  • Like 3

Why not have a cool icon, with a cool back story, and a killer house? Depending on the icon they could even maybe have a scarezone connected to it if they wanted. Everything doesn't have to be connected by a story line, or an underlying theme like they've attempted to do in the past. I think the fans would adore that, and it'd be one of original houses and or zones for that year.

Last time they tried this, (Lady Luck) everyone HATED it. Everyone loves to whine that they "don't listen to the fans", but they do. The last icon didn't get a great reaction, so I think they took that into account and shifted focus to making sure they have a strong lineup of houses to bring to the event.

Edited by Coast
  • Like 1

Last time they tried this, (Lady Luck) everyone HATED it. Everyone loves to whine that they "don't listen to the fans", but they do. The last icon didn't get a great reaction, so I think they took that into account and shifted focus to making sure they have a strong lineup of houses to bring to the event.

That's only because they didn't put very much thought into it, Lady Luck only bombed because of bad marketing! (sole opinion of poster) lol

I guess im in the minority when it comes to Lady Luck. I enjoyed the backstory, I enjoyed the whole event, also I think every time me and my group heard "HAHAHA TRY YOUR LUCK" I jumped up and down like a Giddy School Girl. I didnt get to see Fear but I still believe LL was a much more well rounded idea and just wish she had a house...

• Like 1

Guest kiwisoup

Out of the past few year, 21 Was my favorite and if Lady Luck bombed, it obviously didn't affect how much I enjoyed that year. People don't seem to understand that these things we are focusing so much on are total fanservice...they get get people hyped for the event and give people something to do while they are waiting for it to start, but once you actually get to the event they have little to no effect. Hardcore fans are loud and they whine a lot, but the fact is that 99% of the people attending HHN don't even pay attention to this stuff and I can understand why there are probably higher-ups who are rejecting a lot of stuff that they probably try to do with backstory. The general population talks about what ip houses they have that year, not the theme/icon/backstory. I'm not saying I'm against it. I've enjoyed it a lot in the past...but it's not a deal breaker for me, it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the event, and I'd rather have time and budget used elsewhere. I'd rather live in the present and enjoy what is still the best Halloween event around, instead of focusing on what each year doesn't have or how good I remember past years being.

This whole "fate" of HHN thing is just so over dramatic to me. Earlier this year HHNCrypt threatened to stop coverage of HHN because their "heart wasn't in it" anymore or some crap...but of course they continued to show someone up. And now we have an official "annual" thread about where HHN is going like everyone is ready to jump ship or something? Really?

Edited by kiwisoup

Why no Icons? Why not have a cool icon, with a cool back story, and a killer house? .

Short answer? Because the #1 show on television is going to generate a lot more interest in the general public than a character created specifically for the event.

When we lack a strong IP, we'll probably see a return to icons to drum up interest.

Short answer? Because the #1 show on television is going to generate a lot more interest in the general public than a character created specifically for the event.

When we lack a strong IP, we'll probably see a return to icons to drum up interest.

I appreciate the way you put this, sometimes people make it out to be something else entirely but you just state facts and remain pleasant...

• Like 1

My boyfriend and I are probably only going to go a few nights if that. (We usually get frequent fear passes). We will be trying Howl O Scream for the first time this year in hopes of getting some good old fashioned Halloween scares. We've honestly been greatly disappointed in the turn toward a Hollywood-type HHN that Orlando has taken of the past few years. We enjoy more of the originality, the unknown factor. Seeing a lack of creativity takes away from the event for us, and its jut frankly not as fun as it used to be, for us personally. Really hoping this is just a weird time for HHN and we get to see more creativity in the future.

Guest kiwisoup

My boyfriend and I are probably only going to go a few nights if that. (We usually get frequent fear passes). We will be trying Howl O Scream for the first time this year in hopes of getting some good old fashioned Halloween scares. We've honestly been greatly disappointed in the turn toward a Hollywood-type HHN that Orlando has taken of the past few years. We enjoy more of the originality, the unknown factor. Seeing a lack of creativity takes away from the event for us, and its jut frankly not as fun as it used to be, for us personally. Really hoping this is just a weird time for HHN and we get to see more creativity in the future.

I would like to do Howl-o-Scream at some point in the near future, but I just don't see myself every wanting to go every year. They have 7 houses including the house that costs extra to do in a small group, but every year they have two new houses and the other 5 are carry-overs from the last year(s). Maybe as an every-other year thing...but if I wanted originality over IPs, there are literally hundreds of haunt attractions that each offer something unique. It's only Universal that has the big name IPs on their side and it just seems really backwards when people act like more ips=selling out. Universal's current slogan is "Experience the Movies". Why would HHN be any different?

A few years ago I would have been offended at Orlando's HHN being compared to Hollywood, but honestly I don't really think Hollywood is that bad anymore and in some ways their event is more intense than Orlando's. They both have their strong points and shortcomings, but I come to Orlando every year for a reason and it wins awards for best Halloween event every year for a reason. I mean their Alice Cooper, La Llorona, and Silent Hill houses were arguably better and they've gotten some ips that have made me jealous like Insidious last year. Also, their originals La Llorona and El Cucuy showed that they can do a good original too. The only thing I don't like and am glad Orlando only tried once here is the music themed houses...wow....those would get annoying after a while.

Edited by kiwisoup