Dollhouse of the Damned

JDW

I love this house, it is the creepiest/most psychologically disturbing of the bunch this year . . . but where's the story? at least la llorona had some story to it outside before you went in. people don't know anything about this house before going in. is it a haunted house? does it have to do with witchcraft? what???

I know I'm kind of being a little negative toward the originals this year, but that's because I find myself having to explain and defend them to everyone I've gone with this year. I really like all 3 of the houses, but they suffer a bit from unrecognizability when compared to the IPs.

I love this house, it is the creepiest/most psychologically disturbing of the bunch this year . . . but where's the story? at least la llorona had some story to it outside before you went in. people don't know anything about this house before going in. is it a haunted house? does it have to do with witchcraft? what???

I know I'm kind of being a little negative toward the originals this year, but that's because I find myself having to explain and defend them to everyone I've gone with this year. I really like all 3 of the houses, but they suffer a bit from unrecognizability when compared to the IPs.

La Llorona isn't really an original concept though... So saying that it has a better story only makes sense considering that is a folk tale that has been around for generations and generations. The only thing that really sticks out to me as confusing story wise is the fact that we enter a freezer section... I always get confused in that part.

• Like 2

Why does it need a story? same thing as the website, the general public won't care either way. I'm not saying houses having a story is not cool, I'm saying that this house works perfectly without it and most people wouldn't care if they did create a story for the house.

Im willing to bet that most people don't know what's going on in Giggles and Gore except the fact that clowns are killing people

• Like 1

Why does it need a story? same thing as the website, the general public won't care either way.

Absolutely wrong. I've heard many people wonder what some of the houses were "about", be surprised that the website is bare, etc. Putting in the extra effort to make something cohesive, thematic, understandable, etc is genuine attention to detail that DOES make a guest appreciate it more. The General Public isn't stupid - they, like us, go because it's fun and it's not too expensive. But, having PRIDE in the houses that they make above what they do now, in other words how they used to, is what helped set the event apart. It made me WANT to purchase souvenirs. That's lost money.

I'd bet the bias aside if the "story' wasn't told to us most of us will admit it wasn't very clear.

Edited by criticalanalysis
  • Like 2

The story is on the first page of this thread, but for those who are too lazy to look back :P here you go:

The whole house is an old-time morgue that has been redecorated by a little girl (who is unnamed but ironically looks like Cindy). The little girl has turned this morgue into a disturbing, morbid and twisted dollhouse, where she tortures the poor unfortunate souls in the "dollhouse."

That's why there is a freezer section (makes sense for a morgue to have one) and why you see a little girl torturing a man in either the third or fourth room, "transforming" him into a doll.

The creators tried to make this house truly disturbing, successfully I might add, by forcing one to associate creepy dollhouses with something " truly sinister," hence the term they used for the theme: forced integration.

Correct the story if I'm wrong, please.

We know the story because we follow it. But it takes so very little effort. a 30 second story over the music. We all had to wait anyway.

People do care. I heard it is various houses. People asking what was going on and that they didn't understand. Without context you can be bewildered by what you are seeing. Sometimes that may work toward upping the scarefactor... but mostly not.

Ahhh that could very well be it then. Those two times would be the same cast. When I saw him pop up, it was the times I went through at like 7:45 and 11 which would be the opposite cast. Hm...

I know this is a little OT, but out of curiosity, how often does each cast stay in the house? How many times are they switched out?

• 3 weeks later...

I was looking at the pictures on Inside the Magic and I just noticed there was a Chucky doll in this house. Maybe I'm just dumb and missed it but it's out of the way so yeah.

15140260378_d34b9cbd42_z.jpg

Anyone else see this during a walk through? I haven't.

I only saw it because I knew where to look for it after going on the UTH tour. For those who do not know, it is on the right on the ground among the debris in the 'Make you pretty' freezer scene. Also of note, the blocks spell 'JUST DIE'.

Edited by Cooger and Dark

I was looking at the pictures on Inside the Magic and I just noticed there was a Chucky doll in this house. Maybe I'm just dumb and missed it but it's out of the way so yeah.

15140260378_d34b9cbd42_z.jpg

Anyone else see this during a walk through? I haven't.

To expand upon this, A&D often reuses props (the statue of a lady that pops up almost every year, the cerberus in Roanoke, the crows, etc.) and the chance to reuse the beloved Chucky in a house where it would actually fit (see my Roanoke example above) was too good to pass up. Most of them A&D just like and they put them in the houses because they know that the diehard fans are keeping an eye out for some of the concealed props.

I know they reuse props. I just never noticed and maybe thinking its a clue for next year since they have the Chucky Vinyls on sale. Just a thought. I could be over thinking it and they just threw it in for shits and giggles. xD

I am not saying Chucky will not show up next year (him and the Cryptkeeper were two of the better parts of the 20 scarezone) but I would not get my hopes up too high. After all, there was a Jack vinyl last year and look at Giggles and Gore...

I am not saying Chucky will not show up next year (him and the Cryptkeeper were two of the better parts of the 20 scarezone) but I would not get my hopes up too high. After all, there was a Jack vinyl last year and look at Giggles and Gore...

There are some nods to Jack in Giggles lol. Nods being the key word. I keep my hopes to myself because my hopes tend to be nothing but that. I would like to think for the 25th year they would give us diehards something. An icon, a house, a scarezone, something to shut us up for another 5 years xD

• 2 weeks later...