Halloween Horror Nights 24 Speculation

Does any super-fan know what the latest start date for building a maze has been over the years? Or can think of any examples of last minute big changes? The ones that jump to my mind are the Story Teller being thrown in at the last second for HHN 15 (I suppose that wasn't that big of a last minute change), and HHN 11 in 2001 when they decided to tone down a lot of the gore due to September 11th.

HHN 22 had A LOT of hipcups and construction started VERY late for House of Horrors.. Hell it wasnt finished by opening night

• Like 1

I believe we figured that out when someone with connections posted a house list with all the house names blurred out as a tease. Some clever individual figured out that once he had identified what font was being used in the non-blurred out parts, he could decipher the blurred out parts out based on the tiny bits and pieces of letters that hadn't been blurred (tops and bottoms). One of the first things they deciphered was "Dracula Untold" which turned out to be a movie being released by Universal this year that seemed to match up pretty well with code names, clues, and rumors.

Interesting. I was not aware of that. Thanks for the info, 12monkeys!

Edited by JackTheREAPER

I have been accepting the possibility that the house is going to happen, but until it is officially announced, am I not allowed to hope?

In my opinion, it is a waste. Not because it couldn't possibly be good, but because with all the ips to choose from there are a 100 things I'd rather see 1st. Answer me this... what ip made it's appearance at HHN before it hit the theatres (and don't say Doom because I played the original game like 20 years ago)? I was under the impression that the idea of using an ip is to transport you into the reality of the film/game it is based off of. If we haven't seen the film, in reality it is more of an original, correct? Why use an ip slot for a movie no one has ever seen? Some of you believe that it could possibly be to market the movie. This could be the case. But if it is, it isn't very cool. Does that give them the green light to do this again next year and the year after that?

The movie itself could be good or a piece of garbage. Either way, I know I'll have fun in the house. My only points are that I'm just tired of vampire themed things and that if they use an ip, it should at least be a movie that we have the ability to see in order to enjoy the house more.

Doom was never a house. Also the doom movie was loosely based on "Doom 3" and "Doom 3: Resurrection of evil." Both released in 2005. Not the original game series made by ID software in 1993 (Doom one). I suppose you could say the novelization of the original games were also an inspiration.

Also wasn't hhn 21's "the thing" a house before the movie was released? Essentially functioning like an interactive teaser?

Edited by Dr. John Overwatch

Doom was never a house. Also the doom movie was loosely based on "Doom 3" and "Doom 3: Resurrection of evil." Both released in 2005. Not the original game series made by ID software in 1993 (Doom one).

Also wasn't hhn 21's "the thing" a house before the movie was released? Essentially functioning like an interactive teaser?

I thought he mentioned Doom for some reason. He didn't... brain malfunction I guess.

The Thing was rebooted. It already had a following before the movie was released.

I thought he mentioned Doom for some reason. He didn't... brain malfunction I guess.

The Thing was rebooted. It already had a following before the movie was released.

I mentioned doom back when we were discussing CC clues. I hope they do make it a house someday, though. I heard they had greenlit a reboot of the doom movie franchise but that was about a year or two ago.

I know the thing was rebooted but... I honestly don't know if the average person even knows that. I went with some people that year and told them it was a prequel but they didn't believe me until they were screaming out of the exit.

Other than that, though. I don't know of any movie they've done that wasn't something that already existed.

Although, this is Dracula. It too is based off of preexisting content.

I have been accepting the possibility that the house is going to happen, but until it is officially announced, am I not allowed to hope?

In my opinion, it is a waste. Not because it couldn't possibly be good, but because with all the ips to choose from there are a 100 things I'd rather see 1st. Answer me this... what ip made it's appearance at HHN before it hit the theatres? I was under the impression that the idea of using an ip is to transport you into the reality of the film/game it is based off of. If we haven't seen the film, in reality it is more of an original, correct? Why use an ip slot for a movie no one has ever seen? Some of you believe that it could possibly be to market the movie. This could be the case. But if it is, it isn't very cool. Does that give them the green light to do this again next year and the year after that?

The movie itself could be good or a piece of garbage. Either way, I know I'll have fun in the house. My only points are that I'm just tired of vampire themed things and that if they use an ip, it should at least be a movie that we have the ability to see in order to enjoy the house more.

Here's my theory. HHN does a good job at utilizing IP's and converting movies into mazes, putting you INTO the film itself. However, HHN doesn't have the rights to just use an IP that isn't theirs whenever they want. There is a long process that goes into using IP's and they can't just say "Ok let's start building this maze". They have to confront the makers of the movie and then work with them to make sure they are keeping the image of the property. Sometimes, Universal gets rejected. They have tried to get Stephen King's works involved into the event, but have gotten turned down. So in reality, it's easier for Universal to use their own properties. Therefore, they can easily do a Dracula Untold maze, like it or not. I honestly don't see that it has much potential as a maze. There hasn't even been a trailer yet. However, it's up to Universal.

Edited by JackTheREAPER

Here's my theory. HHN does a good job at utilizing IP's and converting movies into mazes, putting you INTO the film itself. However, HHN doesn't have the rights to just use an IP that isn't theirs whenever they want. There is a long process that goes into using IP's and they can't just say "Ok let's start building this maze". They have to confront the makers of the movie and then work with them to make sure they are keeping the image of the property. Sometimes, Universal gets rejected. They have tried to get Stephen King's works involved into the event, but have gotten turned down. So in reality, it's easier for Universal to use their own properties. Therefore, they can easily do a Dracula Untold maze, like it or not. I honestly don't see that it has much potential as a maze. There hasn't even been a trailer yet. However, it's up to Universal.

Actually, "The Thing" was originally a film in 1982, but then in 2011, they remade it. So technically, The Thing was around before HHN even existed.:

I know that. The thing is literally one of my favorite horror movies and probably the only one that gave me any sense of dread in my entire life.

Ugh...

Anyways, we'll probably get a trailer around the time the event starts or a little bit before and they'll probably play up it's appearance much like they did for The thing prequel.

Probably with a screen that plays and loops the trailer or something as you go through the line.

In my opinion, it is a waste. Not because it couldn't possibly be good, but because with all the ips to choose from there are a 100 things I'd rather see 1st. Answer me this... what ip made it's appearance at HHN before it hit the theatres? I was under the impression that the idea of using an ip is to transport you into the reality of the film/game it is based off of. If we haven't seen the film, in reality it is more of an original, correct? Why use an ip slot for a movie no one has ever seen? Some of you believe that it could possibly be to market the movie. This could be the case. But if it is, it isn't very cool. Does that give them the green light to do this again next year and the year after that?

Wolfman a couple years ago had flop of a movie written all over it (http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=wolfman.htm and the $62M domestic box office on a $150M budget proved that to be true) yet it was a great house. I personally thought it was going to be terrible...but it was great! The production value was through the roof (or, well, on the roof) and the scares and facade were great. I really enjoyed the house.

Am I on fandango ordering my ticket for Dracula? Not at all...but I'm intrigued by the movie telling it from a different perspective. And knowing there's going to be a castle gives me high hopes for another epic facade to the house.

Also, to answer one of your questions...I believe Wolfman made it's appearance before the movie came out. And The Thing (remake). Not 100% sure on those, but I know I did the houses before I saw the movies and loved them both.

• Like 2

whoa whoa whoa. You'r tired of VAMPIRE themed things? You should be tired of ZOMBIE themed things, considering we have been seeing The Walking Dead 3 years in a row. XD

Wolfman a couple years ago had flop of a movie written all over it (http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=wolfman.htm and the $62M domestic box office on a $150M budget proved that to be true) yet it was a great house. I personally thought it was going to be terrible...but it was great! The production value was through the roof (or, well, on the roof) and the scares and facade were great. I really enjoyed the house.

Am I on fandango ordering my ticket for Dracula? Not at all...but I'm intrigued by the movie telling it from a different perspective. And knowing there's going to be a castle gives me high hopes for another epic facade to the house.

Also, to answer one of your questions...I believe Wolfman made it's appearance before the movie came out. And The Thing (remake). Not 100% sure on those, but I know I did the houses before I saw the movies and loved them both.

The Wolfman shifted dates twice in 2009. It was originally supposed to be released in February of 2009, then changed to November of 2009. It was finally released in February of 2010.

Dracula isn't exactly original. Neither was The Thing (hell, it was a remake of a remake!). So I used them as examples due to the similarity to Dracula to make a point.

Obviously Dracula isn't original. But supposedly, the story is going to be told in an original way. We won't know this original story until after most of HHN.

Most of us saw The Thing and who doesn't know the jist of the story of The Wolfman...

What NEW film/game was premiered (as a house) at HHN before it's release?

Assuming the rumor is true, we are going to be walking through a recreated set of a movie that has yet to be released. Thus, although it is an ip, it will be an original to us.

Once again, I am not saying I won't enjoy the house. I know I will. What I am saying is that wouldn't it make more sense for them to use an ip that the general public would be more excited to see? I could be wrong, but I think the ips are what really draw in the masses these days. An ip no one has seen won't draw as many people as many of the other titles people would like to see. That is why it is a waste to me.

One of my wife's favorite houses was The Thing.

C'mon... The Walking Dead is the best horror show on television (probably ever). It is also currently the only zombie related show on tv that I'm aware of. I've seen enough vampires on tv, in books, and basically everywhere else to not want to see them used as an ip at HHN too. There is a bunch of zombie stuff around too, but I don't feel like it is jammed down my throat as much as vampires have been the past couple decades. Last year what they did at HHN in regards to TWD was a mistake, but honestly, I wouldn't care if they did 1 house a year for each season forever as long as it was good.

The only movie related IP I ever really loathed in all the years I have been attending HHN, since 2002 other than missing 2010, was Doomsday in 2008. TWD in 2011 was not good, but it did not earn the utter hatred I have for Doomsday.

I remember parts of that house with disdain to this very day, some guy in a mohawk dancing right near the end of the house was such a letdown. If it was funny it might have made the house less of a piece of trash, but nope... it was just that. Of course that is just my opinion.

• Like 1

C'mon... The Walking Dead is the best horror show on television (probably ever). It is also currently the only zombie related show on tv that I'm aware of. I've seen enough vampires on tv, in books, and basically everywhere else to not want to see them used as an ip at HHN too. There is a bunch of zombie stuff around too, but I don't feel like it is jammed down my throat as much as vampires have been the past couple decades. Last year what they did at HHN in regards to TWD was a mistake, but honestly, I wouldn't care if they did 1 house a year for each season forever as long as it was good.

Well, If you are referring to the Twilight series, then that's not what I'm talking about. Twilight ruined the image of Vampires. I like the classic vampire movies, not those mushy teen vampire crap films.

Edited by JackTheREAPER

The only movie related IP I ever really loathed in all the years I have been attending HHN, since 2002 other than missing 2010, was Doomsday in 2008. TWD in 2011 was not good, but it did not earn the utter hatred I have for Doomsday.

I remember parts of that house with disdain to this very day, some guy in a mohawk dancing right near the end of the house was such a letdown. If it was funny it might have made the house less of a piece of trash, but nope... it was just that. Of course that is just my opinion.

I agree lol Doomsday was absolutely terrible.

Funny... Just how bad was it? Was it worse than the movie, because if I recall correctly, it was pretty awful.

So what's the story here? Are we getting 4 ips or 5?

I think I'm the only person in the world who kinda enjoyed the movie. I loved Dog Soldiers and The Descent is one of my favorite movies ever, so I'm a sucker for Neil Marshall movies (I don't consider the turd Descent 2 to be "his"). Having said that, the best part about the house was queue video and....well, that's about it. Definitely one of the worse houses ever. Though depending on which crew you got, the one mohawk guy was a pretty cool and into the roll...but I think I only caught him once out of the 3 times I went through.

I agree lol Doomsday was absolutely terrible.

Not if you remembered to say fancy peacock.

I feel as if people mentioning the fact that Dracula Untold will most likely not be a typical vampire movie is being ignored.

The movie is an origin story. Anyone who has ever had an interest in the man behind the monster has researched Vlad Tepes, and this will be the story of how he became Dracula.

This movie is about a historical figure turned literary classic. It's not entirely unfamiliar ground.

Why would Universal choose this IP?

It's the first IP they have cocreated in the new Legendary/Universal partnership.

It is the first Dracula based movie done in several years and they are constantly mentioning that. Dracula is one of their big names. It has been since the studio began making horror films.

It's a money making advertisement for the movie. And the trailer for the movie can be a money making advertisement for the event! Come experience Dracula Untold before it's even in theaters!!!!!

Wolfman house is indeed a good example to compare this movie to. As is the Thing prequel. Both of those houses as well as this one already have known environments and mythologies.

Can anyone say right now what will see in this house? Not really, because we haven't seen the movie. But if it's done in a similar way to The Thing and Wolfman, it will be the trailer come to life. We will have seen that by the time the event rolls around.

As for too much vampires...

Well HHN hasn't had a vampire house since 2009. There was the roaming Vampires in 12, but I'd hardly call that over kill. If you are referring to popular teen romance novels. No, they don't count as vampires. Just no.

I have to ask:

If Dracula Untold is too much vampires, how do people feel with the possible From Dusk til Dawn rumor?

Edited by mystiquephreeq
  • Like 5

I believe we figured that out when someone with connections posted a house list with all the house names blurred out as a tease. Some clever individual figured out that once he had identified what font was being used in the non-blurred out parts, he could decipher the blurred out parts out based on the tiny bits and pieces of letters that hadn't been blurred (tops and bottoms). One of the first things they deciphered was "Dracula Untold" which turned out to be a movie being released by Universal this year that seemed to match up pretty well with code names, clues, and rumors.

To the board's credit...

I honestly didn't expect anyone to bother...

• Like 1

To the board's credit...

I honestly didn't expect anyone to bother...

....Obviously, or else you would have "redacted" the text by putting a black layer behind it, and then deleting the text areas on the top layer...thereby making it "unphotoshoppable". Ha ha ha.