HHN 2013: El Cucuy: The Boogyman

Grindhousehero13

yeah got that eccentric Doc Brown mind lol

Let me start over from scratch haha

well it's like the Thing had that sense of Hopelessness on the same level that John Carpenter pulled off with the original like seing the suicide scene and just everbody being assimulated gave you that feeling of dred.

Hostel had the whole "Wow that f*cked up" vibe you know the PILE of dead mutilated bodies and people getting tortured ect. espeacialy how in that maze we were not the victums we were the clients. So gave of the sense of "Why did I agree to this! this isnt right"

La Llorona although the drowned kids part was kinda morbid it did'nt reflect the whole maze, you walked into this villiage that is basicly cursed and you see people mourning children.

they basicly were disturbing in the fact that you get the vibe of "This is'nt right" and a feeling of dred.

if that makes sense lol

but yeah Im digging how more and more dark this maze ends up as it goes on cant wait for the BTS for this one

Theme Park Insider posted a sneak peak at the house (Minor spoilers):

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201309/3657/

The maze is going to have a narrative. Here's what the article says:

Your path through the maze follows the journey of a young boy and starts with him and his uncle attending a luchador horror film. Yes, a luchador horror film is a part of a genre of Mexican films that pits a famous Mexican wrestler against an evil being. The genre was most popular during the sixties and seventies and has to be experienced to be believed. If you're a horror fan, I highly recommend searching out one of these films.

This story will be narrated to guests in line outside the maze by actor Danny Trejo. Murdy said he envisioned Trejo's unique voice while writing the narration for the maze and Trejo was willing to come on board. Trejo's voice will also be heard as the narrator (and the voice of El Cucuy) inside of the maze.

Guests will enter the movie theater where something horrible has happened; namely, everyone in the theater is dead and El Cucuy, a shapeshifter, is on the prowl. You journey through the theater to the boy's home and eventually in to the layer of El Cucuy.

What I really like about this is that so many of these locations/scenes don't get seen in haunts often. Using them in a haunt seems so...wrong. It's like the maze crossed a boundary by being there. It's transgressive in a very real sense.

Goosebumps. Serious goosebumps here.

C'mon! Don't tempt me with spoilers! We're less than a week from the event!

So it turns out that I was wrong. There will be a facade for the theater as it is going up right now (I'm relieved to see this). I am loving how it fits seemlessly with the surroundings which makes up for the loss of the Shrek queue. The reason why I loved the Shrek queue houses was because the walls made the facade look more exclusive and hid the "show area" of the house (i.e. the tent/house walls). The surrounding building and the natural fitting of the facade more than makes up for that.

Again, I've only seen the two pictures that were posted of the house, but if this is better than La Llorona, I will be most happy. :)

• Like 1

Better than La Llorona would make this one of the best HHN mazes of all time. Only TCM: BIB and Halloween top that. I'm sure it'll be good, maybe even maze of the year, but I'm not placing the expectation that high

Then again, it may be time. Every two years, another major classic comes along. 07 - TCM: BIB. 09 - Halloween. 11 - La Llorona. 13 - ???

*crosses fingers* Please be Evil Dead, please be Evil Dead!

I just thought of something.

La Llorona is a sympathetic monster. Doomed to forever walk the Earth in her sorrows, always desperately searching for her children. Despite her horrible crimes, she is to be forever tormented.

By contrast, this version of El Cucuy is, as Dr. Loomis would say, purely and simply evil. He collects mementos to remember his crimes by. He the emotional pain his crimes cause. Murdy even describes some elements of his crimes as a fetish. Where La Llorona is motivated by her despair and confusion, El Cucuy is motivated by sadistic glee.

• Like 1