HHN 2013: El Cucuy: The Boogyman

Grindhousehero13

I think you're right,

which is why El Cucuy is a much more Morbid character than La Llorona where La Llorona was more of a dark character and its kinda compairable to Freddy and Jason in a way, A monster born of tragedy and a monster born of sadisim.

I see shades of Leatherface with La Llorona as well. Leatherface in the original (which is the only one I will recognize) was a cornered dog who didn't really get what he was doing. Throughout the movie he was in a state of panic and confusion, kinda like La Llorona. Compared to a character like Freddy or the various clients in Hostel where they are enjoying every second of their horrible deeds. Both are effective for scares in their own way though. The "cornered dog" mentality is very unpredictable.

Jason is kind of a middle ground. He's born out of tragedy but he's also calculated and enjoys inflicting pain. I think in part 2 he's mostly acting like a cornered dog.

• Like 1

I just want to add that for some reason, I see this maze taking place in the same Mexican village that La Llorona did, but we are now in the present...

Probably because most Latin themed haunt attractions take place in an old Mexican village. Most folklore/myth mazes take place in some far away time actually. Having it take place in the present day kind of gives the maze a sense of reality...hitting "close to home" as it were.

I see shades of Leatherface with La Llorona as well. Leatherface in the original (which is the only one I will recognize) was a cornered dog who didn't really get what he was doing. Throughout the movie he was in a state of panic and confusion, kinda like La Llorona. Compared to a character like Freddy or the various clients in Hostel where they are enjoying every second of their horrible deeds. Both are effective for scares in their own way though. The "cornered dog" mentality is very unpredictable.

Jason is kind of a middle ground. He's born out of tragedy but he's also calculated and enjoys inflicting pain. I think in part 2 he's mostly acting like a cornered dog.

true, but Jason has gone through the more phases than a confused teenager, from being the corner dog in part 2 to what he becomes by Jason goes to hell.

but I agree now that you mention it, La Llorona is more comparable to Sawyer Leatherface.

I wonder though how Danny Trejo will protray El Cucuy, the completion is in the dialog.

• 1 month later...