Halloween Horror Nights (Hollywood) 2013 Wishful Thinking

Additional Scarezone possibilities:

- Avila's suggestion (Front of Tram) Which is totally possible !

- In front of Animal Actors show (Strangers & Ghostface after the tram closed) So we know that area is also do-able. (Oops barely saw that Avila also suggested this area. Lol My bad! But yeah there's a lot of space there and it has been done in the past.)

- Area in front of the Terminator show (Where the sliders used to be - miss the sliders =( Lol )

Are there any more areas I'm not thinking of at the moment?

Edited by shark23

I was wondering during my visit why they didn't make the area outside the tram a scarezone... It seemed like the perfect place. Unfortunately, I don't see the area in front of Terminator being used as a scarezone if they do in fact replace Terminator with Despicable Me... I don't think Universal would want the front of their newest family attraction decked out with dead bodies lol

I don't think Universal would want the front of their newest family attraction decked out with dead bodies lol

I don't see why a scarezone would need to be bloody, gruesome or include dead bodies... they could do it as simplistic as fog, lighting and scareactors. No need for set design of any kind.

Orlando had scareactors near Despicable Me this year... It worked out fine, so it can easily be done without disrupting the daytime guests at the park.

• Like 1

That was made more as a joke... And HHNH did a nothing but fog, lighting, actor scarezone this year... just ask the others how that turned out lol. And, this is just based on my impressions this year, it seems as though Universal leaves the majority of the area surrounding the rides, aside from the mazes in extended cues, untouched... The only Halloween theming in the park was only located in the three decorated scare zones, all away from an ride entrances.

One thing I have noticed about HHNH after finally going, and seeing how the HHNH fans are, is that a handful of actors in a dark road doesn't really cut it as a scarezone over here... At least that's just been my impression.

Edited by Stitch_101

It doesn't cut it here either it's just when you think about universal studios hollywood is a really really really tiny park and unfortunately that shows especially in our scarezones their isn't much they could really do if like if they could at least add more fog

It doesn't cut it here either it's just when you think about universal studios hollywood is a really really really tiny theme park and unfortunately that shows especially in our scarezones their isn't much they could do really, id like if they could at the very least add more fog to the park to give a better vibe of a haunt setting throughout the park

If there is a single good thing I remember from the one time I went to Knotts scary farm back in 10' was their ghost town scare zone I litterly was intimidated to walk into that dense fog you litterly could only see about 3 feet ahead of you

Fog, spider-web, pumpkins, moss -- a few things missing from HHN.

The tone I get from HHN is that it's trying to be really scary and adult oriented.

While Knotts is more about Halloween itself, and fun.

While I dig the scary and adult oriented-ness, the Halloween elements could be upped a bit instead of shrugging them off as "for kids" or "cartoony."

• Like 3

HHNH did a nothing but fog, lighting, actor scarezone this year... just ask the others how that turned out lol.

If you're referring to the Silent Hill... that doesn't count. You need a larger cast of scareactors & they need to be amazing. Pick a theme for said scareactors, then let them loose within the area. It will work wonders..

Fog, spider-web, pumpkins, moss -- a few things missing from HHN.

While I dig the scary and adult oriented-ness, the Halloween elements could be upped a bit instead of shrugging them off as "for kids" or "cartoony."

^one of the many complaints about Orlando for years. The event has lacked the "halloween" aspect of HHN. Ever since 2008, we've had a multitude of jack-o-lanterns in the trees. They were originally located within Central Park... but in 2011, they relocated them to the Kidzone area (which is where two of the house queue line entrances are located). While they're now not along the main pathway, its a nice thing to see when heading into two of the houses.

I was wondering during my visit why they didn't make the area outside the tram a scarezone... It seemed like the perfect place. Unfortunately, I don't see the area in front of Terminator being used as a scarezone if they do in fact replace Terminator with Despicable Me... I don't think Universal would want the front of their newest family attraction decked out with dead bodies lol

techincally there will be buch of corpses and stuff since two SZ are directly in front of it lol.

If you're referring to the Silent Hill... that doesn't count. You need a larger cast of scareactors & they need to be amazing. Pick a theme for said scareactors, then let them loose within the area. It will work wonders..

its always that way, no scenic except for one year its always just fog and lighting from Reapers to Pigz btw did anyone else notice they cut down on some of the fog? I kinda miss walking threw the huge ass clouds.

good news on the freddy and jason front (Hopefully Leatherface too now that hes a 3 years)

Murdy: @gregdiazjr We've done it 3 times in 7 years so not extreemly high on my list

btw did anyone else notice they cut down on some of the fog? I kinda miss walking threw the huge ass clouds.

The fog did seem rather thin in all areas of the park the night I was there. It was also a little on he breezy side, so that could been a factor. As far Freddy and Jason are concerned, I think they need to stayed retired for a little while longer.

I do have a question about the lower lot Scarezone... You guys think it would ever be possible to utilize the platforms as you head down to the lower lot? I know for safety reason it's not the greatest idea, but if they did it in a way the simply added to the story of the Scarezone without there being any actual scares on the platforms. I was thinking, if they do repeat The Walking Dead and move it to the lower lot, use the lower lot as a "The Walking Dead" Scarezone. Something like "The Walking Dead: Quarintine Zone" would be an interesting idea. Have the lower lot infested with walkers, an the platforms leading down dressed as like military barricade and decontamination centers set up to stop the walkers from spreading to the rest of the park. Again, not sure how well this would work or if it could at all, but I think it could be kinda cool.

Edited by Stitch_101

The fog did seem rather thin in all areas of the park the night I was there. It was also a little on he breezy side, so that could been a factor. As far Freddy and Jason are concerned, I think they need to stayed retired for a little while longer.

I do have a question about the lower lot Scarezone... You guys think it would ever be possible to utilize the platforms as you head down to the lower lot? I know for safety reason it's not the greatest idea, but if they did it in a way the simply added to the story of the Scarezone without there being any actual scares on the platforms. I was thinking, if they do repeat The Walking Dead and move it to the lower lot, use the lower lot as a "The Walking Dead" Scarezone. Something like "The Walking Dead: Quarintine Zone" would be an interesting idea. Have the lower lot infested with walkers, an the platforms leading down dressed as like military barricade and decontamination centers set up to stop the walkers from spreading to the rest of the park. Again, not sure how well this would work or if it could at all, but I think it could be kinda cool.

I can see New york street becomeing Woodsburry with The govenor or even Merel replacing the ringmaster. but thats just me.

Would you guys be happy with the return of Halloween? I asked John if he'd do it and he said he does want to but we'll have to wait and see :o

I hope he does it :D

I wouldnt mind as long as it didnt interfere with Walking Dead.

I've got a wild idea here. This may be a solution to the horrible crowds the event has been facing this year. Some here are suggesting to add a seventh house to help balance and check the crowds on here; the only problem is that doing so would stretch the budget a bit too thin throughout the event causing more black walls to be consistent throughout the houses and too many recycled props to be scattered around (Not that recycled props are bad, but too much of it can be).

So what's the solution? I suggest a seventh house that has minimal set design and focuses mainly on low-lighting effects or ultra-violet visuals. It can be something along the lines of the In-Between or the Creature's Monsterquarium. I know we're tired of 3D houses and I am as well, but to do that would be a good "budget transition" to ease the event into having seven houses and the Terror Tram. That way, the budget will probably grow enough to have a very detailed and solid seventh house for 2014. What do you think of this suggestion?

I don't think the budget is really a problem I mean it could be but the only maze that had a detail problem this year was TCM in my opinion (and it was still a damn good maze) and I think the only reason that was because it was a last minute replacement maze

So what's the solution? I suggest a seventh house that has minimal set design and focuses mainly on low-lighting effects or ultra-violet visuals. It can be something along the lines of the In-Between or the Creature's Monsterquarium. I know we're tired of 3D houses and I am as well, but to do that would be a good "budget transition" to ease the event into having seven houses and the Terror Tram. That way, the budget will probably grow enough to have a very detailed and solid seventh house for 2014. What do you think of this suggestion?

That's a good idea. Or...... if the Terror Tram doesn't get a new route next year- no terror tram (at least for a few years so it doesn't continue to be stale) and then focus on having 7 quality mazes with minimal amount of bare walls and also having larger casts in mazes & scarezones. The amount of people in the tram this year is enough to have a whole cast for a 7th maze, added scare actors to the other mazes and larger casts in scare zone.

I know the Terror Tram is something special that Orlando doesn't have but it's been the same way too long. Your guys thoughts on removing it and spreading those scare actors throughout the rest of the attractions?

Removal of tram, addition of one more maze and possibly one more show. Wonder if that would balance the tram removal or not? :huh:

I don't want to see the tram themed to the Walking Dead again next year, and can't see it being as liked as much as it was this year if it's not themed to a very popular IP like The Walking Dead.

I don't think the budget is really a problem I mean it could be but the only maze that had a detail problem this year was TCM in my opinion (and it was still a damn good maze) and I think the only reason that was because it was a last minute replacement maze

My problem is seeing how there's so many black walls in the outdoor scenes. Do you remember F13 or Halloween having all of those black walls in the outdoor scenes? Walking Dead, TCM, Silent Hill....heck ALL of the mazes had a problem with black walls. It would've been great to hide it with a LOT of scenery or something. Maybe have some sort of mirror trick that's covered by the trees so that it looks larger than it actually is.

I like that quarantine idea on the platforms. Kinda scarezones, without the scaring. Murdy claims it's a hazard to scare on the platforms, but if it's NON-SCARING, I don't see why it's not possible other than interfering directly with day time guests, but they don't have to be bloody or scary or the like. It could just simply be a tent, and then throw some hazmat guys in there later in the night. Maybe a stretcher with a zombie on it or something, I don't know.

And I'm against getting rid of the Tram. I think that's one of the main reasons HHN has become so successful so far. I think people get jazzed up thinking about being out on the backlot, which is cool in itself, and it being horror themed makes it all the more cooler.

And I'm against getting rid of the Tram. I think that's one of the main reasons HHN has become so successful so far. I think people get jazzed up thinking about being out on the backlot, which is cool in itself, and it being horror themed makes it all the more cooler.

But that's not even advertised on commercials or anything so it's not like the general public flocks to HHN because they're expecting to walk on the backlot. Lol

This far into their run, HHN will continue to be successful tram or not, and will sell out basically every night. I doubt they will remove it, but it would save A LOT of money that could be put towards making the mazes better. The cost for tram drivers, the tram guide, and gas every night can be distributed to the other attractions.

This is something at the top of my list in terms of wishful thinking. >< Lol

Edited by shark23

They can't get rid of the tram it's a staple to the event, it would be like getting rid of Bill and Ted it just can't happen

They can certainly improve it though, the thing I hated about it was the fact that it's a complete cluster fuck the entire tram through

What if they tried making multiple paths on it :D? Or making it lengthier???

Well... I can imagine HHN without Bill and Ted. It wouldn't be the best thing in the world, but I can honestly imagine it. And considering B&T wasn't present for 2006, it's actually quite possible.

As for TT, multiple routes, more mini mazes, new routes, longer area, etc., all seem plausible to me.