Halloween Horror Nights (Hollywood) 2013 Wishful Thinking

Yeah, from what I've read, they are planning it as a low budget found footage film in vain of the PA movies... And it seems that the found footage films are on the decline in terms of audience popularity... If the film gets an October release date though, using it as a maze could work for promoting the film... Similar the The Thing prequel that, from what I remember, didn't do to hot at the box office either.

Yea, sadly. I heard the thing prequel was pretty good.I find it strange that it's going to be a found footage movie since the first paranormal activity had a ouija board in it. You'd think they'd go in a different direction with the filming style.

Opppps... Correction, the article said it was unlikely to be a found footage film, but that it would follow Insidious and Sinister as being low budget (under $5 million) but high concept. That's a big difference from the film Universal was planning when it originally had the rights, with McG set to direct and a budget at around $100 million.

I don't think Ouija will be done by 2013. All those Hasbro movies are taking forever to come out.

It is something to ponder though.

As for Carrie, I'm still surprised a Stephen King property got through to a theme park and it was freakin' Knotts who did it.

I don't think Ouija will be done by 2013. All those Hasbro movies are taking forever to come out.

It is something to ponder though.

As for Carrie, I'm still surprised a Stephen King property got through to a theme park and it was freakin' Knotts who did it.

haha I was too, probably had something to do with the studio.

Apparently, there's a new movie coming out in 2013 called I, Frankenstien. Here's the plot from Wikipedia.

"Frankenstein's monster, named Adam and having taken the surname of his creator, becomes involved in a war between two immortal clans in an ancient city"

It's a lions gate property and is coming out around September. What do you guys think?

I personally wish Universal had been able to make the big budget version of Ouija....

however, I'm hoping for their newly revised lower-budget version actually being good... (if it ever gets made)

At HHN Orlando last year, we had a 3D house known as "The In-Between"... it was basically an in-direct loosely-based house on their upcoming Ouija movie. (its pretty obvious where the inspiration came from). The concept was that two college students came across this ancient boardgame and it opened a portal to "The In-Between"... demons, pentagrams, etc.. Needless to say, for a low-budget house, it was pretty damn amazing. even for being 3D. Also some decent scares as well.

• Like 1

Is Sony doing Carrie too? If so, I wonder if they asked John to do something Carrie related too...

not realy much to Carrie but at the ends she has psychic powers in fact it not too much of a horror movie besides that like what DTH said Stephen King has been realuy openly against his property being used in theme parks/haunted attractions its wierd that a little scene slipped into Knotts last year.

not realy much to Carrie but at the ends she has psychic powers in fact it not too much of a horror movie besides that like what DTH said Stephen King has been realuy openly against his property being used in theme parks/haunted attractions its wierd that a little scene slipped into Knotts last year.

Maybe he trusts knotts more since it has more history? I dunno

One thing I've really been wanting to see since probably 2009 is the classics!! You know Dracula, Frankenstein, a actual Wolf Man maze and so on! I think a year of the Universal classic monsters would be soo amazing but of course with GP they think its "to old" or boring! :P I did tell Mr. Murdy about this and he said he would like to do that one year before he's gone

Ripped From the Silver Screen year at HHNO had a Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolfman maze... They were all pretty good from what I remember of them. I personally, however, would like to see them do a MAJOR overhaul of HoH instead, and give the classics a home they can truly be proud of.

• Like 1

Yup, an HOH overhaul with more classics in it, different tone and a more through theme (as much as I love the Chucky and Psycho rooms, they don't really fit). I think we should get that next year, instead of UMR2, which will actually make me upset - _ -

Ripped From the Silver Screen year at HHNO had a Dracula, Frankenstein and Wolfman maze... They were all pretty good from what I remember of them.

All 3 houses were awful that year.

Wolfman was nothing more than a walk through the trailer since the film hadn't been released yet. The house had a few good scenes, but ironically, they were all the outdoor scenes. wood, cave-like trench, finale.. the rest of the house was awful. However, the Wolfman costumes looked great. Wolfman should never have been a house, it should have been a scarezone instead.

Dracula was so beyond epic suckage. It had nothing to do with Dracula in any way. It tried to capitalize on the original Vlad the Impaler in certain aspects and less on the Universal Classic we all know & love. On top of this, the house was 90% female. It was vampire brides & vampiric hags, complete with god awful masks. Dracula himself was pretty much non-existant in the house minus like 2-3 scenes. IT. WAS. BAD. The facade looked decent, but I think Dracula's frozen fortress from Van Helsing looked better.

Frankenstein had potential... it was given a steampunk conversion.. the downside is, the house was poorly executed. Bride of Frankenstein looked like complete shit.. she resembled a mummy (which is not what people expect to see). Between the 3 houses, this one was definitely the better house... BUT that isn't saying much.

They had the potential to give Phantom of the Opera his own house... or at least half a house shared with the event icon. But instead they failed to do this which was such a huge missed opportunity to pay tribute to the Classic Monster that paved the way for the rest. While the facade featured Phantom on the marquee, there were only 2 scenes devoted to him... the rest of the house was The THING, Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness, & The Strangers (none of which had anything to do with that year's icon).

If Murdy was given the chance to do a classic monster year, I don't think he'd disappoint. Of course you would also need to possibly have access to a soundstage for at least 2 of the houses.

Yup, an HOH overhaul with more classics in it, different tone and a more through theme (as much as I love the Chucky and Psycho rooms, they don't really fit). I think we should get that next year, instead of UMR2, which will actually make me upset - _ -

While House of Horrors was thrown together within 2-3 weeks here as a last minute replacement for HHN... the house only featured the classic monsters- Phantom, Dracula/Brides of Dracula, Frankenstein, Mummy, Wolfman, Creature from the Black Lagoon, & Bride of Frankenstein.

It was exactly what you'd expect... the main monsters and nothing more. It was a fanboys dream... more or less.

I'd love this. You dont need dubstep to pull in the GP (even though i liked the idea). I was really mad when i found out there was no Gill Man in UMR. Hopefully theyll do this, they could even throw in some of Universal's lesser known monsters.

I agree... As much as I love Chucky and Psycho, it really detracts from the rest of the design elements of HoH because the massive jump from gothic decor to more modern decor. And let's not mention the possibility of UMR2... I might cry lmao!

All 3 houses were awful that year.

Wolfman was nothing more than a walk through the trailer since the film hadn't been released yet. The house had a few good scenes, but ironically, they were all the outdoor scenes. wood, cave-like trench, finale.. the rest of the house was awful. However, the Wolfman costumes looked great. Wolfman should never have been a house, it should have been a scarezone instead.

Dracula was so beyond epic suckage. It had nothing to do with Dracula in any way. It tried to capitalize on the original Vlad the Impaler in certain aspects and less on the Universal Classic we all know & love. On top of this, the house was 90% female. It was vampire brides & vampiric hags, complete with god awful masks. Dracula himself was pretty much non-existant in the house minus like 2-3 scenes. IT. WAS. BAD. The facade looked decent, but I think Dracula's frozen fortress from Van Helsing looked better.

Frankenstein had potential... it was given a steampunk conversion.. the downside is, the house was poorly executed. Bride of Frankenstein looked like complete shit.. she resembled a mummy (which is not what people expect to see). Between the 3 houses, this one was definitely the better house... BUT that isn't saying much.

I'm surprised you felt that way. For me, that year, the only two real let downs were Chucky and Saw... Chucky was one of my more anticipated mazes that year, and I was thoroughly disappointed. While some of what I remember about Dracula, Frankenstein and The Wolfman is a little hazey, reading back the review I had wrote for HHNVaul it seemed I was pretty impressed with them lol.

Edited by Stitch_101

Yea.. 2009 should've been my "dream year"... but it let me down.

Chucky... was decent, but it fell a little flat here/there. This is also due to certain aspects of the house itself. I'd personally like to see Chucky get another shot at a house.

SAW... this is one house you will have to give a major break on. This house would've been amazing had it not been for the shittastic conditions the scareactors had to deal with. Because this was the JAWS queue, there was zero A/C. On top of this, the costumes were hot... which caused the scareactors to be constantly sweating by barely moving. Quite a few scareactors would be throwing up after each set, some even passed out. Then you have the victims who had to wear a "trap", these were somewhat on the heavy side.. especially when they had to be on set for 45mins. This house had to go through a lot, had they not had to deal with the lack of A/C... it would've been a completely different experience.

I really loved Chucky and i dont remember a single damn thing from the SSs, but i do remember loving Wolfman lol.

I always wondered why they couldnt close down HoH around mid-late July and just change it into a new house and have that for the following year. It doesnt sound that improbable.

On spec of house ideas, i dont see why they would use PA. the only ghost in the movie is never shown and theres not much to really work with, i dont think.

If we have to share IPs again, i wouldnt mind Insidious. I always thought that movie was perfect for a house. You could start with the first house, then transition to the second one and end with the Further. With the main Darth Maul-looking demon and the other monsters, it could be pretty damn awesome.

[gonna go OT for a bit] Hey guys, really quick: I'm organizing our First Annual HNN Horror Nights Awards, which is basically the "Maze & Scarezone of the Year" threads from prior years just with more categories. It'll be about 4 or 5 parts (there's only 5 questions each for a poll), and I'll space out the creation of the threads to keep things a bit organized. So I'm asking y'all what are some categories you'd like to see? Remember, must be able to be answered in a poll question. So far, these are the ones I have:

Costumes of the Year

Repeated Theme of the Year

Underdog of the Year

Scene of the Year (Maze) [will be a thread to itself]

Scene of the Year (Terror Tram & HOH) [will be half a thread to itself]

Best Scares of the Year

Set Design of the Year

Facade of the Year

Scarezone of the Year

Maze of the Year

I wanted scareactor of the year, but considering there's SO many of them, it's not possible to pull off, and not fair to the other couple hundred when we can only list 20.

Send me a direct message with your categories, in order to keep this thread nice and tidy. Thank you! :)

Edited by DTH316
  • Like 1

I'd love this. You dont need dubstep to pull in the GP (even though i liked the idea). I was really mad when i found out there was no Gill Man in UMR. Hopefully theyll do this, they could even throw in some of Universal's lesser known monsters.

Im glad Im not the only one who felt like this WTH? No Gillman!

on the other hand I cant realy fathom why people like insidouse that much to me it was super shitastic I get people like it but I cant be the only one who will cry if this is a maze I will litteraly avoid this maze at all cost I mean I like bad movie but god this was god awful to me.......Im turning into DTH

Cabin In The Woods Needs to happen! I cannot stress this more going into either the Jp queue or Shrek venue would be pretty sweet.

This just popped into my head, but who would like to see USH try an "upcharge/extreme/interactive" maze like Knott's did this year? Orlando's been toying with the idea for YEARS now and I think it'd be a cool idea :)

I think it would be an interesting idea, but I think next year could be one of the hardest for the creative team in terms of space issues... The T2 location could be in trouble if construction is still going on during the summer for the rumored Despicable Me replacement of T2 (December 31 is said to be T2's last performance.) And then construction for the Harry Potter will no doubt cause some problems as well. I'm hoping none of this really causes too many problems for John and the design team, but realistically it could... And if any of the construction does cause maze placement issues, an up charge maze would probably be an addition I would rather not see until they have the space to work with.

can someone get me up to speed with cabin in the woods? A lot of people seem to want it next year.

Probably the most simplistic way to describe it would be Evil Dead by way of Scream... It's about a group of friends who spend a weekend at a cabin in the woods. After one of them reads from a journal, a cannibal zombie redneck family rises from the grave and starts killing them off one by one. The movie is a horror movie, but like Scream, also deconstructs the horror genre and pokes fun at the cliches that are found in the genre. There is a great scene near the end where a "company building" is all out assaulted by ever kind of horror movie villain and monster you can think of. It's outrageous and fun. You really need to see it.

Edited by Stitch_101

I think it would be an interesting idea, but I think next year could be one of the hardest for the creative team in terms of space issues... The T2 location could be in trouble if construction is still going on during the summer for the rumored Despicable Me replacement of T2 (December 31 is said to be T2's last performance.) And then construction for the Harry Potter will no doubt cause some problems as well. I'm hoping none of this really causes too many problems for John and the design team, but realistically it could... And if any of the construction does cause maze placement issues, an up charge maze would probably be an addition I would rather not see until they have the space to work with.

Probably the most simplistic way to describe it would be Evil Dead by way of Scream... It's about a group of friends who spend a weekend at a cabin in the woods. After one of them reads from a journal, a cannibal zombie redneck family rises from the grave and starts killing them off one by one. The movie is a horror movie, but like Scream, also deconstructs the horror genre and pokes fun at the cliches that are found in the genre. There is a great scene near the end where a "company building" is all out assaulted by ever kind of horror movie villain and monster you can think of. It's outrageous and fun. You really need to see it.

ill probably buy it on iTunes. It sounds interesting. I saw some of the monsters on the Cabin in the woods wiki. They look really cool.

Cabin in the woods could even work for terror team couldn't it the? the amount of monsters in it is incredible, I saw a book at Barnes and nobles that had litterly 50 pages of all different monsters from cabin in the woods!!! :o

And call me weird but I think insidious would make a great maze. to me it has HHN material written all over it!

Cabin in the woods could even work for terror team couldn't it the? the amount of monsters in it is incredible, I saw a book at Barnes and nobles that had litterly 50 pages of all different monsters from cabin in the woods!!! :o

And call me weird but I think insidious would make a great maze. to me it has HHN material written all over it!

Unless they found some ways to drastically fix the Terror Trams problems, I'd much rather they do Cabin in the Woods justice and go with a maze.