The Walking Dead: Dead Inside

mr.luck

This house was very middle of the road for me. The first half was fantastic. In fact I felt a little anxiety in the dressing room (?) hallway. The house itself was awesome. Great design and everything. But the second half seem underwhelming. There just wasn't enough zombies to give you that feeling of horror. I know it cost money to pay people to do that but it could have easily used another 20 people in there. But still it was a great house. the make-up was really cool!

Whomever is in that boo-hole right after the doors to the right gets someone in my group every time we walk through (mucho props). You and the rooftop actors (close to Merle's hand) have the best hiding spots in the house (although Sheriff isn't too shabby either).

I always point out Merle's hand to anyone new that is walking through the house and the actor hiding back there always get em :-)

For the actors that are forced to be in "open" locations, I kind of wish that a different kind of scare would be provided by you (and mainly having to do with your scene). Zombies are (supposedly) only concerned about eating you, so I wish there was a sense of relentless pursuit from the "open-air" actors (since we can see them anyways), with the only thing stopping them from eating you is a "barrier" in their scene (like a fence, table, etc).

This would give this house a great mix of startle scares (ie the hospital exit, rooftop, sheriff, etc) and foreboding scares that you can see from a mile away but have to walk through regardless. Currently, the open-air actors just kind of stand around and look at you (a potential meal) as you walk by, or the more energetic ones lunge at you, and then reset, as in a standard house.

Standard zombie behavior should not involve lunging and resetting, it would involve the relentless pursuit of human flesh with only their surroundings limiting them (which bucks the philosophy of most SA practice in most houses). I think by leaving the lunging/startle scares to the hidden actors, and having the "open-air" actors reaching, scraping at whatever hinderance is in front of them and/or constantly trying to get after the human passers-by, the flow and overall feel of the house would be significantly improved.

The open-air actors would probably be even more exhausted than they already are if they had to reach, and come at guests non-stop for 45 minutes at a time haha.

• Like 1

clearly i am the only person left not to have a good run in this house yet, i've been through it now 7 times and every single time i feel like i wasted my time and absolutely HATE the house....i get 0 scares (all be i i am usually with a 2-3 other guys and 2 of us are over 6'3") its been far to bright for any boo scares because you can see them coming and than the ones i don't see and i look at i just get a quick glance and they look the other way and just stand there. also i believe the scenery is just kinda bleh, i don't feel like i'm in the show except for the department store, also it seems to be a lot of dead area but that also might just be poor timing (which that excuse is getting old since its been 7 times of "poor timing") i love the show and started watching it just bc of this house this year but this house is the worst so far

ill be going through it again tonight so if a scareactor is in here and sees me im 6'4" in a tight red shirt and jeans and i have a small goatee please please please make this house enjoyable as others have stated it is

• Like 1

Whomever is in that boo-hole right after the doors to the right gets someone in my group every time we walk through (mucho props). You and the rooftop actors (close to Merle's hand) have the best hiding spots in the house (although Sheriff isn't too shabby either).

I always point out Merle's hand to anyone new that is walking through the house and the actor hiding back there always get em :-)

For the actors that are forced to be in "open" locations, I kind of wish that a different kind of scare would be provided by you (and mainly having to do with your scene). Zombies are (supposedly) only concerned about eating you, so I wish there was a sense of relentless pursuit from the "open-air" actors (since we can see them anyways), with the only thing stopping them from eating you is a "barrier" in their scene (like a fence, table, etc).

This would give this house a great mix of startle scares (ie the hospital exit, rooftop, sheriff, etc) and foreboding scares that you can see from a mile away but have to walk through regardless. Currently, the open-air actors just kind of stand around and look at you (a potential meal) as you walk by, or the more energetic ones lunge at you, and then reset, as in a standard house.

Standard zombie behavior should not involve lunging and resetting, it would involve the relentless pursuit of human flesh with only their surroundings limiting them (which bucks the philosophy of most SA practice in most houses). I think by leaving the lunging/startle scares to the hidden actors, and having the "open-air" actors reaching, scraping at whatever hinderance is in front of them and/or constantly trying to get after the human passers-by, the flow and overall feel of the house would be significantly improved.

The open-air actors would probably be even more exhausted than they already are if they had to reach, and come at guests non-stop for 45 minutes at a time haha.

you make a really good point, I think people expected zombies reaching at you most of all. I don't even think people hate this house for the lack of scares but because everyone was probably expecting the walkers to be very hungry for your flesh. some of the complains I have heard is this, when the actors have to go back to their place but they are in open areas like the Barn and the RV.

Did you read my review of this house over on the Hollywood site? We have the exact same feeling here.

Walkers don't "reset" - they come at you until they get you. In the Hospital room, when I saw the gurney as a barrier, I thought "they understood this!". Thereafter, it was just like any ordinary house - jump, scare, reset.

But, you say, look at Deadtropolis and Zombiegeddon! They did the lunge and reset in those houses, too. That is correct. And I loved those houses. The difference is that because they chose to rent the WD IP, they were obligated to live by the rules of how walkers "behave". And the rules state that walkers don't act like they did inside and outside of this house. The zombies in Deadtropolis and Zombiegeddon had no pre-set rules to play by. However they acted was therefore correct.

This is one of the major reasons I hate IP in houses....

You want to know how non-walkerlike the actors got? I saw a walker out in front of the house carrying around a leg slung over his shoulder like a baseball bat. He was stalking people - not shambling. His "scare" would be to take the leg and do a half-swing at you. Can someone remind me which episode had walkers using weapons? Which one had walkers growling, barking, and breathing in people's ears?

Both coasts were guilty as charged of this non-walkerlike behavior. I was at each event for multiple days, and wrote a hefty comparison in the Hollywood review section.

In an amazing turn of events, the Hollywood house was superior in terms of content. In that house we saw the tank (they really built a tank...) and bicycle girl. The Hollywood house also included survivor camps, which broke up the monotony. I thought the Orlando house was more of an easter egg hunt than anything else (bunny slippers, duffel bag, Merle's hand, etc). According to what I heard on the Arcane Insights tour, bicycle girl was ordered for Orlando, but never arrived...

I had really high hopes for WD at HHN, but in my opinion the talent (for the most part) really hurt the house, and the designers failed to place enough barriers to allow the talent behave like walkers.

I know a lot of scareactors post here, so please don't take it personally. Orlando scareactors in particular kick major butt every year. I don't know if it was training or laziness, but the WD house talent was not good (the one exception was the hospital).

• Like 3

In an amazing turn of events, the Hollywood house was superior in terms of content. In that house we saw the tank (they really built a tank...)

see, what i didn't understand about our house is why we didn't have a tank scene. we had a tank last year (if you recall Nightingale's facade, it was on top of it), why not just use it again? my only explanation is maybe it wasn't a full tank, and just the side of one, since only 1 side was visible.

i was expecting to see some walkers gnawing on the half eaten deer seen in NG as well.

• Like 1

I can definitely say the house got way better than my first run through. Kudos to you guys. Also, if anyone knows the stretcher zombie in the first room, can you tell him to calm down just a bit? He was flailing all over the place and slapped me Friday night.

You want to know how non-walkerlike the actors got? I saw a walker out in front of the house carrying around a leg slung over his shoulder like a baseball bat. He was stalking people - not shambling. His "scare" would be to take the leg and do a half-swing at you. Can someone remind me which episode had walkers using weapons? Which one had walkers growling, barking, and breathing in people's ears?

I cant take you seriously.

see, what i didn't understand about our house is why we didn't have a tank scene. we had a tank last year (if you recall Nightingale's facade, it was on top of it), why not just use it again? my only explanation is maybe it wasn't a full tank, and just the side of one, since only 1 side was visible.

i was expecting to see some walkers gnawing on the half eaten deer seen in NG as well.

They got the tank we got the RV. There.

Edited by Dr. D

What I don't understand is why they didn't try to make a type of forest room, Hollywood did it. I would have liked at least one room of the house to look like you were in the wild. Nothing too fancy or anything but I think they could have done something like that.

I still hate the end of the house. the Actors do a good job at scaring people they have scared a lot of people by poking out from their holes but it is so anticlimactic. I Hate the ending for the house. I think we deserved better. Or the house should have ended in the Barn. I don't know the lack or Tank or dead horse, the lack of a type of forest room and the sucky ending makes me mad.

What I don't understand is why they didn't try to make a type of forest room, Hollywood did it. I would have liked at least one room of the house to look like you were in the wild. Nothing too fancy or anything but I think they could have done something like that.

I still hate the end of the house. the Actors do a good job at scaring people they have scared a lot of people by poking out from their holes but it is so anticlimactic. I Hate the ending for the house. I think we deserved better. Or the house should have ended in the Barn. I don't know the lack or Tank or dead horse, the lack of a type of forest room and the sucky ending makes me mad.

They are TWO DIFFERENT houses. If it was identical to Hollywood everyone would be complaining that its too similar, if its not like Hollywood everyone complains about the lack of rooms compared to Hollywood. Hollywoods budget is bigger than ours regarding that house, so they get the advantage.

Edited by Dr. D

They are TWO DIFFERENT houses. If it was identical to Hollywood everyone would be complaining that its too similar, if its not like Hollywood everyone complains about the lack of rooms compared to Hollywood. Hollywoods budget is bigger than ours regarding that house, so they get the advantage.

I understand about their budget being bigger and I understand about the houses being a little different. I even understand that we don't get a Tank.

but our ending still really sucks. it is just a bad way to end the house. the house ends at the Barn. after that is just nonsense.

and a room with trees and grass would have been really nice. they could have given us that at the end even. making it look like a camp or something. that would have been a really nice touch. Plus the actors could have had a place to walk around and everything.

It makes me wonder if they even thought about it

Edited by Mr. Black

remember when everybody was upset because they thought Alice Cooper was going to be like Hollywoods last year? And now they basically want a USH clone for The Walking Dead.

Sheesh. These people, let me tell ya.

• Like 2

remember when everybody was upset because they thought Alice Cooper was going to be like Hollywoods last year? And now they basically want a USH clone for The Walking Dead.

Sheesh. These people, let me tell ya.

I wanted a AC house like they got in Hollywood... :mellow:

is not so much that we wanted a clone, we just wanted a good house, and Hollywood this year has that. -_- we should have gotten something as good if not better since they always deliver here. but not this time, as far as the layout and the rooms go.

Edited by Mr. Black
  • Like 1

I mentioned this in Scareactor Appreciation earlier, but need to do so here as well. Big kudos to the last Walker in the barn, where there had usually been the "well zombie" lurking in the past. This was a really big guy who somehow still managed to find someplace in his area to hide so as to seem completely invisible until WHAM! he was in your face. I have no idea how he pulled this off but the effect was brilliant!

Also I saw or rather heard the little female Zombie in the last scare before the "gauntlet" totally nail the rather smug "my girlfriend's scared but I'm not" guy behind me. I had to laugh out loud as he kept going "goddamn, son of a bitch!" over and over again. He was so distracted at having been got so well, that he was totally unprepared for another Zombie outside in the scarezone who snuck up and got him again as he exited the house, much to the amused laughter of the Security guys!

Last night, incredibly, I got to do a solo run through this house. It really increased my appreciation of this house when I didn't have to share the scares, and the resets were all ready for me. My favorite room is still the opening through the hospital - the walkers and the doors. Love my doors. But all of the rooms were so much fun in which to interact, take my time and look around more.

That's never gonna happen again, hell week/night commences. Thank you to all the shufflin' participants, I really enjoyed my time with you! :)

Since Uni had to use masks for this house (and street), how awesome would it have been if they would have used these masks (or something similar):

http://www.compositeeffects.com/silprod.php?prodcode=SMCST01&refer=masks

The ease of a mask, combined with the expressiveness of a makeup. Silicon masks are badass!

I'm pretty sure the current masks they have now are silicon pours, but if they would have just included the neck and made is a "full overhead" (I guess thats what they call it with a neck piece), the effect would have been improved greatly in my opinion.

Since Uni had to use masks for this house (and street), how awesome would it have been if they would have used these masks (or something similar):

http://www.composite...T01&refer=masks

The ease of a mask, combined with the expressiveness of a makeup. Silicon masks are badass!

I'm pretty sure the current masks they have now are silicon pours, but if they would have just included the neck and made is a "full overhead" (I guess thats what they call it with a neck piece), the effect would have been improved greatly in my opinion.

Its a nice mask but, the price range is overly insane.

• Like 1

I completely agree about the price, but since Uni is a movie studio, with more than capable makeup artists (2 of which were on SyFy's Face Off this year), they could have easily created these kind of masks themselves (or ones that are even better).

The reason they didn't will forever remain a mystery. The masks they went with make the zombies look more like Leeatherface from TCM than Walkers from TWD (mainly since the neckline is completely exposed and unfinished...

I completely agree about the price, but since Uni is a movie studio, with more than capable makeup artists (2 of which were on SyFy's Face Off this year), they could have easily created these kind of masks themselves (or ones that are even better).

The reason they didn't will forever remain a mystery. The masks they went with make the zombies look more like Leeatherface from TCM than Walkers from TWD (mainly since the neckline is completely exposed and unfinished...

Universal Orlando is not a movie studio. It's an attraction. Hollywood is the only working movie studio universal has. And regardless even if they'd made the masks that's STILL a lot of money on materials. AMC is the one that told universal what to do.

Universal (Hollywood and Orlando) are both movie/production studios, as movies/commercials/television shows/music videos have been shot in both.

As much as I would love to think that Universal Orlando keeps and maintains soundstages JUST for Horror Nights every year, that is sadly not the case. Those facilities are used for production purposes year round, and Universal Orlando does indeed have an incredibly talented make-up team that could have easily created a full overhead, soft and expressive mask for the Walking Dead, but chose not to. Hell, 4-5 unique molds spread across all the actors would have looked phenomenal (with slightly differing paint jobs).

Whether or not AMC indeed forced Uni to use the current masks is unknown, unless you work for AMC or Universal and just aren't telling us ;-)