HHN 2012: Welcome to Silent Hill

DTH316

Woo! my first post!

I can't put into words how excited and happy I am that Silent Hill is becoming a maze! It was easily my dream maze and I never thought there would be a chance that it would even be considered.

Anyway, as far as the music goes, I hope they use less of the "musical" ost and utilize the more ambient and atmospheric cuts from the soundtrack. for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw2XXwshCF8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzqWOlNcv5Q

etc. :)

I notice it, but I don't think it distracts anything.

I'd probably find it more annoying to do constant back to back left and rights than to do one u-turn.

The thing that bugs me about the u-turn in the lower lot is that, while it does allow the house to be a bit longer, it only allows the rooms to be small. By having the house layout go as one straight shot to the back of the location, possibly with the addition of going into the building, then the house can be equally as long by allowing large rooms.

Welcome to HNN thanat0s! :)

The thing that bugs me about the u-turn in the lower lot is that, while it does allow the house to be a bit longer, it only allows the rooms to be small. By having the house layout go as one straight shot to the back of the location, possibly with the addition of going into the building, then the house can be equally as long by allowing large rooms.

Welcome to HNN thanat0s! :)

Idk, there were a few rooms in Hostel that were a decent size.

Also, too big rooms are a little plain.

Specifically in Alice Cooper, there were a few times where it was just a wall on one side, a few details on the other and about 3 scares throughout the whole room and the walking layout was strange and didn't even cut through the scareactors. It went around them.

The U-Turn really never bothered me because i think would i rather have a U-Turn maze or no maze at all! Anyway the Silent Hill Maze wont be U-Turn and it will be a bit longer. About the room size IDK how big they are going to be.

I had a dream one or two nights ago that I was going through the Silent Hill house. The maze was completely dark and gave a flashlight out to every fifth person to make it stay true to the video game. It would be so cool if they could do this, but I know it won't happen. lol

I had a dream one or two nights ago that I was going through the Silent Hill house. The maze was completely dark and gave a flashlight out to every fifth person to make it stay true to the video game. It would be so cool if they could do this, but I know it won't happen. lol

With its "ash" or fog like environment. the flashlights would make a cool spotlight type of effect. The scareactors, however, may have issues after the their retinas were burnt out by 1,000 flashlight pops!! :wacko:

Or more likely, issues when they get smacked in the face.

Haven't seen a thread about this topic, but would love to hear all the horror stories (pun intended) scareactors have gone through with with frightening folks. I look forward Fog World and the Amusement Park scene for the Silent Hill maze. Some of the regular game scenes appear to be similar to what we encountered in Saw or Hostel; industrial of dilapidated warehouse settings.

John said he was using that track for the entrance, so youll get your wish.

As a huge fan of the games and movie, I am completely satisfied with the soundtrack selections he has revealed thus far. I am going to be so giddy and get chills walking up to the facade and hearing that theme play.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just watched the movie. I'm late, I know. I have heard the games are far and away better than the film, but I could see how very awesome a maze based just on the movie could be. There are some awesome places and amazing creatures. I personally can say I will be running to the lower lot at some point to check this one out! Besides the Church, the hospital, and the school, what do they have in the games that would work? Are there any good videos online I could check out?

I have a sneaking suspicion this maze isn't going to be as foggy as I'd like. :-(

So not sure if anyone here is a fan of Bone Yard Effects Inc. on FB. They are the company that makes the prostectics for the scareactors. They posted a pic of the 2012 shop crew, and one of them is wearing a very familiar head!

http://www.facebook....&type=1

Robbie the rabbit!?

So I just watched the movie. I'm late, I know. I have heard the games are far and away better than the film, but I could see how very awesome a maze based just on the movie could be. There are some awesome places and amazing creatures. I personally can say I will be running to the lower lot at some point to check this one out! Besides the Church, the hospital, and the school, what do they have in the games that would work? Are there any good videos online I could check out?

I have a sneaking suspicion this maze isn't going to be as foggy as I'd like. :-(

Silent Hill has a TON of environments to work with. Besides what you mentioned they have a variety of abandoned buildings such as shops, bars, and homes, hotels/motels, mines, alleyways and empty streets, alternate reality locations usually referred to in game as "nowhere", and graveyards/crypts just to name a few off the top of my head. I'd say the hardest part about creating a maze from a video game medium is trying to narrow so many locations down. They have a lot to work with.

When I first heard about this maze during the summer, I knew I had to make the trip to California to try a HHN. During college, we used to play SH2 with all the lights off and the sound turned way up. There was some nights we had trouble falling asleep...

My one worry for this maze will be how they will tell the story? It sounds like from reading this thread that they might just take a bunch of different scenes from the different games and movies and put them all together? While from a visual element that would be cool, it all has to tie together somehow to make you feel like you are in the experiences.

Having never been to an event like this before, how does narration play a part in previous mazes, if it does at all?

That's actually a really good point you bring up. I've been thinking about it the last couple of days but haven't been vocal about it yet.

But my assumption is, yes, this will just be a bunch of random scenes from and inspired by the Silent Hill series.

The narrative of a story is actually very important. Whether it's imperative to your enjoyment of the maze is up to you though.

Personally, I like mazes with a story and think "greatest hits" mazes kinda bothersome.

F13 (07/08), NOES (07/08) and Saw (09/10) were all "greatest hits" mazes with little to no storyline.

Saw's storyline kinda worked because it had a little creative licence by making all the traps in Jigsaw's warehouse.

However, I think the Saw maze was pretty damn good. F13 and NOES were fairly flat and not as immersible as they could've been.

Story is one of the central things to pull you in and make you suspend belief while in a maze.

For example, last year's La Llorona had a great story with a great atmosphere to boot.

Pretty much, the vast majority of the mazes at HHN have had storylines but it doesn't necessarily make or break a maze, however, I think it HELPS considerably if it does.

So my prediction of Silent Hill being the best maze this year might not work out since story doesn't seem to be the focus but as long as the environments are creepy enough and the scares are wild and unpredictable, it should be fine. Hopefully there's SOME element of story.