New House Locations

Chef

I'd kinda like to see them use both parks, but make them separately ticketed slightly smaller events. Say, 6 or 7 houses in each park and two different competing themes. Maybe battling icons and different headliner shows at each. Perhaps each park would present the same houses, but with completely different themes. It's kinda like what Stephen King did about a decade ago when he released Desperation on the same day that he released The Regulators written under his pseudonym. Same characters but two parallel universes - completely different story/setting/theme. It would certainly address the issue of crowds. It would also be a pretty big capital expenditure by Uni, but the extra ticketing would help offset that.

I've tossed this idea around yearly since 2004. Maybe this is the year for something like that...

I'd kinda like to see them use both parks, but make them separately ticketed slightly smaller events. Say, 6 or 7 houses in each park and two different competing themes. Maybe battling icons and different headliner shows at each. Perhaps each park would present the same houses, but with completely different themes. It's kinda like what Stephen King did about a decade ago when he released Desperation on the same day that he released The Regulators written under his pseudonym. Same characters but two parallel universes - completely different story/setting/theme. It would certainly address the issue of crowds. It would also be a pretty big capital expenditure by Uni, but the extra ticketing would help offset that.

I've tossed this idea around yearly since 2004. Maybe this is the year for something like that...

having 14 houses will never happen. i think the most we'll ever see is 10, but not for a few years. that is a great idea and would be interesting to see how it would work out, but they'd never do 2 seperate events at the same time.

I know this thread is about house locations, but I think they could turn this new walkway into a wicked creepy scare zone. With walls on either side & an enclosed walkway, it could make for a cool theme & atmosphere.

kinda like canyon? i thought about that too when i saw that picture, but you have to remember that amity is still in a bad location for anything with 3 house exits and a show to its left and another house to its right.

having 14 houses will never happen. i think the most we'll ever see is 10, but not for a few years. that is a great idea and would be interesting to see how it would work out, but they'd never do 2 seperate events at the same time.

I'd think that after Universal's (and Disney's) recent announcements, the word "never" would not be used so freely...

In the past few months, we've heard about Avatar, the closing of a beloved ride, and a major HP addition on both coasts. I don't think any of us saw those coming so soon (or Avatar Disney coming at all). Separate, similar events have worked fine for Disney. Uni is betting people will buy a separate ticket for more Harry Potter. I don't think it takes a hardcore HHN fan to want to do a night at each park. HHN does steal a whole lot of daytime visitors from Disney parks - lots of people buy HHN as an add-on. Universal already tries to squeeze 2 days of parks out of people with HHN wedged in between - that is a very common ticket option. I see it as a perfect opportunity for them to sell 3 days with an HHN night at each park. Two different but parallel events lets Universal gauge people's interest of HHN at IOA and gives USO another year to deal with the sudden loss of HHN house locations.

While I think it's far more likely that a 2-park event would be along the lines of HHN 14, I still think this idea has legs.

While I did really enjoy HHN at IOA, and would love to see it back there again at somepoint, I dont see it happening this year.

IOA still gets a big draw from Potter, and even Spiderman ( update should be done by then too). That park will be busy without HHN in it. Studios on the other hand with Amity all torn up, and only Simpsons as a new draw makes sence to try and fill with HHNers. I think you have to try and put bodies where they are less likely to be without the HHN event.

Honestly, I cant see HHN moving back to IOA untill after Potter Phase 2, a new E ticket type attraction is built at Studios, or they create such a compelling story that needs the different landscapes IOA provides.

I am also excited and worried at the same time thinking about how they will run the event in the future if the parks are connected via the Hogwarts Express /Potterverse Phase 2.

I've been hearing interesting rumors about Bush going kid friendly next year (despite what the fan boys said it was a complete bust of a year.)

There is a rumor floating around about a kid friendly event at IOA and the usual at USF. I don't know how much water these rumors hold if any... But I don't think it is completely out of the question. I think the biggest concern is budget/manpower. Many employees who work the rides in turn work HHN. That takes from staffing. Now they do hire seasonal employees but that is taxing on the budget... So the immediate answer is don't open as man rides during the event. Its a tricky balance to achieve a two park event with a single admission price. But dual tickets bring in more revenue thus allowing more actors to be hired. Not likely in my book but more logical to me than two full parks open for one event.

Regardless I can see HHN at USF alone and working around the problems thus making less crowd draw (from rides), less scarezones, while keeping the same amount of houses by utilizing new areas. Heck at this point its anybody's game. We could see new tents, a new back lot scarezone by the tents, that new parade structure could be turned into a house (or bring back the "indoor scarezone" we saw but once), dual houses in the parade building, etc. The possibilities are endless for keeping it at USF. I think it will come down to cost factors and what works for the highest profit.

I do like the duality on this year. 2 parks, twice the fear, a dual icon... sounds cool on paper at least.

Well in 2000 they had what was called a "haunted attraction" in Kongfontation.

It was called Nightmare Creatures II (which in itself is odd because I don't remember Nightmare Creatures I and can't find any record of it).

Anyway, it was originally supposed to have both a tram ride and a walk through on the floor of Kong. However the tram never happened. What we got was a weird hybrid. It wasn't a house as it had no rooms or divisions. It was a huge wide path like a street but it was in a building. So I label it an indoor scarezone :).

Incidentally if you would like to read a review of HHN X here is one I found whilst looking for the review. Many things I had forgot.

Didn't Uni file for some new permit to supposdly build a new storage building out back by the parade building and other tents to replace the jaws que. Of corse I read that off screamscape so I know if should be taken with a grain of salt.

Didn't Uni file for some new permit to supposdly build a new storage building out back by the parade building and other tents to replace the jaws que. Of corse I read that off screamscape so I know if should be taken with a grain of salt.

Yes in fact the new "parade structure" is supposedly complete. I haven't got a chance to see it but it is basically A covered area.

It was called Nightmare Creatures II (which in itself is odd because I don't remember Nightmare Creatures I and can't find any record of it).

Nightmare Creatures II was actually a video game-based scarezone. It was based on the video game that came out back then and also had a scarezone at HHN Hollywood the same year before it went on hiatus.

Nightmare Creatures II was actually a video game-based scarezone. It was based on the video game that came out back then and also had a scarezone at HHN Hollywood the same year before it went on hiatus.

I guess that makes since... sort of. But it really didn't remind me of anything like the video game :) None of the creatures were recognizable from the game... Of course that would explain the name :P. All around a neat... yet odd experience. Not real scary but at the same time very cool to walk up Kong.

Anyway, it was originally supposed to have both a tram ride and a walk through on the floor of Kong. However the tram never happened. What we got was a weird hybrid. It wasn't a house as it had no rooms or divisions. It was a huge wide path like a street but it was in a building. So I label it an indoor scarezone :).

Incidentally if you would like to read a review of HHN X here is one I found whilst looking for the review. Many things I had forgot.

Ahhhhhh!!!! I wonderd if that was what you were referring to. 2000 was my first year and I remember being blown away by getting to walk through Kong. It was awesome! And so full of fog you couldn't see more than a couple feet in front of you. I was disappointed that they never did it again.

Thanks for the link to the review! I'm reading it now but the first line about the ticket costing $20 is depressing... :blink:

Incidentally, I believe I heard that "Nightmare Creatures II" was the name of a video game.

Sorry... guess I should have read the rest of the replies first. Thanks Freak!

Edited by Creeper06

It seems that Universal is going to have to work on a much better crowd control system this year. Especially now that the JAWS ride is closed. I remember last year that the lines for some of the houses and shows (near Kidzone and Amity) were way to close to each other and they all entered and exited near each other. This led to some quite confused guests. Lets hope that Universal and A&D will think of something that works better for the crowds. This may even cut line wait times for some of the houses.

Edited by The Raven

380448_10150521584108566_194340658565_8891426_1028036913_n.jpgPhoto courtesy of Theme Park Review's FacebookI know this thread is about house locations, but I think they could turn this new walkway into a wicked creepy scare zone. With walls on either side & an enclosed walkway, it could make for a cool theme & atmosphere.

I would love for it to be a scarezone, especially boxed in and dark if they didn't keep it as lit, but with the exits for the tent and parade building houses, MIB, Simpsons, and Bill and Ted in that area, it could get super congested and I'm not sure the almost clausterphobic scarezone would be worth it for the crowds unfortunately.

I'd kinda like to see them use both parks, but make them separately ticketed slightly smaller events. Say, 6 or 7 houses in each park and two different competing themes. Maybe battling icons and different headliner shows at each. Perhaps each park would present the same houses, but with completely different themes. It's kinda like what Stephen King did about a decade ago when he released Desperation on the same day that he released The Regulators written under his pseudonym. Same characters but two parallel universes - completely different story/setting/theme. It would certainly address the issue of crowds. It would also be a pretty big capital expenditure by Uni, but the extra ticketing would help offset that.I've tossed this idea around yearly since 2004. Maybe this is the year for something like that...

I really can't see Universal making two separately ticketed events if they were both HHN, but maybe if one was kid friendly and you kept HHN at the other it would happen. I've been hearing murmurs of the family event being at IOA for years now. But for this year, I'd love to see a dual park HHN and it would be an opportunity for marketing to do some predictable moves with it being 22 and all that I know most of us can imagine them wanting to take advantage of.

I've been hearing interesting rumors about Bush going kid friendly next year (despite what the fan boys said it was a complete bust of a year.)

There is a rumor floating around about a kid friendly event at IOA and the usual at USF. I don't know how much water these rumors hold if any... But I don't think it is completely out of the question. I think the biggest concern is budget/manpower. Many employees who work the rides in turn work HHN. That takes from staffing. Now they do hire seasonal employees but that is taxing on the budget... So the immediate answer is don't open as man rides during the event. Its a tricky balance to achieve a two park event with a single admission price. But dual tickets bring in more revenue thus allowing more actors to be hired. Not likely in my book but more logical to me than two full parks open for one event.

Regardless I can see HHN at USF alone and working around the problems thus making less crowd draw (from rides), less scarezones, while keeping the same amount of houses by utilizing new areas. Heck at this point its anybody's game. We could see new tents, a new back lot scarezone by the tents, that new parade structure could be turned into a house (or bring back the "indoor scarezone" we saw but once), dual houses in the parade building, etc. The possibilities are endless for keeping it at USF. I think it will come down to cost factors and what works for the highest profit.

I do like the duality on this year. 2 parks, twice the fear, a dual icon... sounds cool on paper at least.

the game was called Nightmare creatures 2, it was the sequel to the first game but for some reason the second game was more famous than the first, a lot of my friends never even heard of nightmare creatures 1 when we were playing nightmare creatures 2, but I had no idea they based the attraction on the game, that sounds so cool

See, reading about this and about the past of HHN makes me really sad and feel crappy, They did so many amazing and creative things in the past but they will never repeat them, I mean,

Yeah I understand the need to do new things and never repeat themselves, but, there were so many things we missed, many cool things from the past that the newer fans will never be able to see or experience, that makes me really sad actually, I guess is the way of progress and there is not much we can do but I wish they recreated some of the stuff, I don't wish I had a time machine, but I wish they would at least bring back a house from time to time, I don't know, just makes me feel so crappy about not being able to be there...

There is a rumor floating around about a kid friendly event at IOA and the usual at USF. I don't know how much water these rumors hold if any... But I don't think it is completely out of the question. I think the biggest concern is budget/manpower.

i meant 2 separate events for HHN at the same time. I've heard the family friendly rumor for IOA and it makes sense.

having less rides open and less SZ's=more draw to the houses(which causes longer lines) and more dead space. if they get rid of the rides, they should then up the house count to 10 to even out the lines.

i meant 2 separate events for HHN at the same time. I've heard the family friendly rumor for IOA and it makes sense.

having less rides open and less SZ's=more draw to the houses(which causes longer lines) and more dead space. if they get rid of the rides, they should then up the house count to 10 to even out the lines.

Also consider if they due do that family friendly event at IOA that would mean Universal spending more money on the event this year therefore possibly increasing ticket prices...

Also consider if they due do that family friendly event at IOA that would mean Universal spending more money on the event this year therefore possibly increasing ticket prices...

not necessarily. to get into that family event, you'd have to buy a ticket. having a family event in IOA shouldn't effect HHN in UO at all really.

the game was called Nightmare creatures 2, it was the sequel to the first game but for some reason the second game was more famous than the first, a lot of my friends never even heard of nightmare creatures 1 when we were playing nightmare creatures 2, but I had no idea they based the attraction on the game, that sounds so cool

I remember the game I actually preferred the first one.

I remember the game I actually preferred the first one.

Same here, but both games are fun. When "Nightmare Creatures II" first came out, I remember seeing an advertisement in its Official Walkthrough Book that the game was utilized as an attraction at HHN.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhhhhh!!!! I wonderd if that was what you were referring to. 2000 was my first year and I remember being blown away by getting to walk through Kong. It was awesome! And so full of fog you couldn't see more than a couple feet in front of you. I was disappointed that they never did it again.

I'm pretty sure they did it in '01 as well - well, sort of did it. They had the foam in Kong and called it "Ooze Zone" or some such. It was originally supposed to be red or red lit foam (blood and gore), and they changed it to green and "ooze" due to 9/11. But I do remember that there was at least a certain section (maybe beginning and end?) that had some scareactors. And, I think the Lon Chaney Phantom statue was in there, too.

It really was awesome to get to walk in those sets by Kong, and even with the wide "streets", I still found it fun and scary.

• 1 month later...

Got another new question....Does anyone know where they are storing the new Universal Superstar Parade? If they are storing them in the current parade building that could mean losing another house location (Unless they get rid of the old floats and just store them in the back.) Or are we actually getting the long-rumored second parade building? Anyone have any info on that?

One thing that bothers me is the immense amount of construction going on in Universal. Lines tend to go behind the scenes and those who are creating a new Universal experience probably wouldnt want anybody to see anything. Im just pointing out another damper in the houses. I doubt they'll put it at Islands but then again I could be wrong. Tickets would be outrageous for Islands and the intense details to fill in the houses and scare zones seems rather skew. Theres more areas to utilize in Universal rather Islands due to all of the trademarking out there that has a absolutely no HHN stipulation on them. The Zena bldg like everyone is saying is being used by employees so that area is off limits. My guess, more sprung tents.