Why do you attend HHN?

91 members have voted

1. 1. Why do you go to HHN?

• Atmosphere/Have Fun
    • Getting Scared

I attend for the atmosphere, have fun, and drink. <g> Also to hang out with people/friends that we only see one month out of the year.

I never was the get scared type, although I do get one here and there IF there scareactor is really good.

Why do I go to Halloween Horror Nights??? Hmm I just guess I'm a seriously messed up individual. Demented beyond the hope for rescue. For me its (among many other things) the adrenaline rush I can get for a whole month. The sights, the sounds, and the smells Halloween Horror Nights brings just gets me hyped up unlike anything else. Roller coasters and other rides are awesome to get your quick fix but this is completely different for some weird reason.

The main thing that made everything even bigger then anything else could be was the other fans I was able to hang with. Meet new people while enjoying something that you absolutely love and wanna be part of all year round. One day I'll scare the shit out ya'll myself. muahahahaaa.

Edited by Nocturas

• 3 weeks later...

I also go mainy for the atmosphere, I'm not as critical as some about the overall scare factor, although I do get some pretty good scares here and there. What really drew me to HHN was just how immersive the whole thing is.

From the details, clues, and occasional games on the website, to the sights, sounds, and smells around the park, there is so much to the event that it's I enjoy getting wrapped up and lost in the world of each year's theme. It's more than just going to this show, and that show, then this house and being scared, and that house and not being scared. From late Sept to early November, Universal takes on a whole new life, something so radically different from how it is during the daytime, and summer months, that from the first time I stepped through those gates in '06 and was hit by the mist and Midnight Syndicate tunes, I was blown away.

Edited by HHNFan1981

• 10 months later...

I'm really not sure how to vote in this poll. For me getting a good scare is part of the "atmosphere and fun" so it is really isn't an either or choice. For that matter, as strange as this may sound I've often gotten better scares from the atmosphere than the scareactors! By that I mean that when really nailed by a scareactor it is usually a quick sudden "BOO!" type scare that passes right away. But the atmospheric scares I'm referring to are the sort of ones that chill you in the moment, but then creep up on you sometimes much later when you are alone at night and give you nightmares.

Edited by Dr. Jimmy

Because I've been going for so long, I rarely get scared anymore. I know exactly what to expect and exactly how everything is going to be. The first couple of years I went were terrifying. But it was only because I didn't know what to expect or what they were capable of. Now I treat HHN like a social gathering. I go to hang out with friends and meet new people. The houses/rides/shows/scarezones are just something to do while I socialize.

I don't really get scared, so I go there to have fun, spend time with my friends that I have not seen since last year's HHN, and drink.

I attend for the atmosphere, have fun, and drink. <g> Also to hang out with people/friends that we only see one month out of the year.

I never was the get scared type, although I do get one here and there IF there scareactor is really good.

That about sums it for me as well! :D

Back in 03' My wife & I decided to spend our anniversary (Oct.) by

going to Universal, I had never even heard of HHN, When we got there and seen the

advertising about some kind of halloween event we said what the hell, will check it out.

WOW!!!!! Have'nt miss a year since,already have a week at RPR reserved(Oct 1st-8TH).

I love the atmosphere, the errieness of walking around,meeting all the friends that we see only once a year, and we pick up right where we left off ;) Oh and Finnagans , the stay & scream...stay and drink!

It is for us a one of a kind event.

sorry for going ot.

Back in 03' My wife & I decided to spend our anniversary (Oct.) by

going to Universal, I had never even heard of HHN, When we got there and seen the

advertising about some kind of halloween event we said what the hell, will check it out.

WOW!!!!! Have'nt miss a year since,already have a week at RPR reserved(Oct 1st-8TH).

I love the atmosphere, the errieness of walking around,meeting all the friends that we see only once a year, and we pick up right where we left off ;) Oh and Finnagans , the stay & scream...stay and drink!

It is for us a one of a kind event.

sorry for going ot.

Once Eric and I got married in '98, it has also become a sort of annual anniversary event for us as well! We always try to go on the night of our anniversary if it's an event night or a night close to it. HHN and Halloween have always played a large part in our anniversary celebration, it's a really good excuse to celebrate all October long...LOL

And you are right "Stay and Scream" = "Stay and Drink"....love it! ;)

To Be Honest i go because Halloween is my favorite time of the year! I go for Atmosphere and Fun as I have only been scared twice since I have been going to HHN! Once when I went eye to eye with Jason ( I am 6 Ft 5 Inches). And Last year in Dracula in the Coffin Room had my attention on someone in front of me when a Vampire/Dracula came from behind the other coffin. And Yes I jumped!

And Last year in Dracula in the Coffin Room had my attention on someone in front of me when a Vampire/Dracula came from behind the other coffin. And Yes I jumped!

B)

I also don't really get scared too much. I mainly go for the atmosphere and to have a good time with friends.

Edited by Black Void

I think my answer is more deep. I think I've had a mental attachment to HHN because I first went to HHN right before my parents divorce, my grandparents died, and I had to move. I went there when everything was perfect, so when I get to go back to HHN I get to pretend like everything is still perfect. (Also I had a blast the first time I went and never have a dull moment at HHN.) My escape from reality.

Sigh.

Edited by FairyCorpse

I go for the atmosphere, the shows, and to see other people get scared. I love watching people get scared, which is one of the main reasons I want to be a scareactor when I get my US citizenship (damn Canada...).

I usually get scared less than a dozen times a year, and in all but one or two incidents they were just me being startled by someone I hadn't noticed or a loud sound effect. Only the first Frankenstein in 2009 and the decapitated head hall in The Hallow in 2008 (read my post in the "HHN Scares" thread for more detail on that...). I don't enjoy it one bit, but I do congratulate the scareactors when they get me, because I'm usually so cautious that I notice them or an obvious boohole before they attack. If you do manage to scare me, it's because you were very good at your job.

I don't really go primarily to go and get scared, I've found there's only a small amount of things that do or startle me from the years of going to HHN in Hollywood and the one I've been to last year in Orlando. It's a fun little experience to go through, especially after the long 2-day trek from California that I took last year to get to it, it was worth the wait for me. Mainly, I seemed to be more interested in set and makeup design for the mazes so I guess I was more in a study sort of mode at the time to lighten up and get scared.

I dunno, I did enjoy everything though.. although I may have gone through some mazes multiple times if I was alone, price to pay for having company with me.

ramble, ramble, ramble..

for me, it's mostly to run into friends from the HHN fan community (some of which i run into other Universal events like Mardi Gras), as well as the thrill of getting plenty of scares including some 4th wall breaking scares (like the ones i had on HHN 17, 18, and 19), along with being a common target due to certain signature items (including a group of "pals" ;) ).

I voted to have fun, though there is another reason not listed here: Peronal fulfillment/ enrichment.

See, those who know me personally know that I tend to be a rather nervous, jittery person, and I've frequently had to put up with people calling me 'wuss' for one reason or another. HHN gives me the opportunity to prove to myself that I am NOT a coward, that I'm capable of being brave, of going into places that I know will scare the crap out of me, yet doing it anyway and facing my fears. That provides me with a good deal of personal satisfaction for a long time afterwards, not to mention the nice adrenaline rush nocturas describes, especially right after leaving a House. That can then inspire me to be braver in other aspects of my regular life. In that sense, going to Halloween Horror Nights helps personally enrich me.

I voted to have fun, though there is another reason not listed here: Peronal fulfillment/ enrichment.

See, those who know me personally know that I tend to be a rather nervous, jittery person, and I've frequently had to put up with people calling me 'wuss' for one reason or another. HHN gives me the opportunity to prove to myself that I am NOT a coward, that I'm capable of being brave, of going into places that I know will scare the crap out of me, yet doing it anyway and facing my fears. That provides me with a good deal of personal satisfaction for a long time afterwards, not to mention the nice adrenaline rush nocturas describes, especially right after leaving a House. That can then inspire me to be braver in other aspects of my regular life. In that sense, going to Halloween Horror Nights helps personally enrich me.

This could be a new selling point for Universal, imagine: "Halloween Horror Nights, butching up wusses since 1991"

This could be a new selling point for Universal, imagine: "Halloween Horror Nights, butching up wusses since 1991"

I wonder if we could claim attending HHN as a "personal enrichment" experience of sorts and figure out a way to make our health insurance pay for it?

• 4 weeks later...