Ops Discussion/Grievances

Dick

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something worse than "not having roofs" is an employee with a staff shirt and flashlight informing you to "keep walking" or "pick up the pace." That is far more damaging to the illusion or your suspension of disbelief than a roof is.

100% agreed! Although I understand they are necessary, they have completely destroyed house ambiance for me in the past.

The worst in recent memory was in Dead Silence. I was walking through and enjoying all of the crazy detail they put into the Doll room when I got "flashed" by a team members flashlight and told to "keep moving, keep moving". It's not like I was stopped, I was just enjoying the details and moving at a slightly slower pace than the conga in front of me.

If Uni is going to take the time to build such an awesome room, at least let the guests enjoy it without being harassed to "jog" through the house.

Back to Forsaken, my most anticipated scene is the "facade" half-way through the house. From what I hear, it is incredible and I can't wait to see it with my own eyes.

Something worse than "not having roofs" is an employee with a staff shirt and flashlight informing you to "keep walking" or "pick up the pace." That is far more damaging to the illusion or your suspension of disbelief than a roof is.

Now there's a real issue.

Most of the ops are fine. They sit there look really pissed off and tell you to move along. While it's illusion breaking I've learn to live with it over the years. Some ops are on the biggest power trips. They tell me to move along when the conga line is at a stand still. Should I push everyone over so I can move along. Or when you have a house to yourself, no conga line present, they yell, "MOVE, KEEP MOVING!" I told an op in Legendary Truth to get off her high horse.

Edited by Karras

Oh Lord...A to the men on that! R

oofs, not a big deal at all...having employees yelling at the top of their lungs to "keep walking" and "pick up the pace"...THAT is a big deal, as it totally ruins any illusion the house is providing.

I remember going through Hallowed Past with absolutely no one in front of us, nor anyone behind us and having an employee tell us to "keep walking". Seriously? There's no one else within shouting or spitting distance and we have to "keep walking"? To me, that house was meant to be stood in and gawked at.

Anywho...regardless of your take on the whole "roof" conspiracy...when it comes down to it, there are far many more elements that can completely ruin the ambiance of a house besides lack of overhead structure.

Now "pick up the pace" and stop lingering in this thread...

Not to prolong the "roof" debate (I think at this point it's beating a dead horse, some are bothered by it some can go either way) I will say that the ops are without a doubt the biggest potential detractor of a house. Good god, can they please get some actual training? It absolutely ruins the experience for them to wave around their flashlights and shriek to keep moving. It's awful. I know where to go. Only step in and assist guests when they appear lost (read: NOT MOVING SLOWLY, LOST) or are causing some sort of trouble.

In Catacombs for the final night last year, weren't all the ops wearing creepy hoods? I wish they could try that for all the ops this year. Would help at least a little.

You think it's bad in Orlando? Visit the "Terror Tram" here in Hollywood!!! Wow. The loudest, rudest crew members I've ever seen. They make the Orlando Ops people seem like well-mannered Disney people :lol:

Oh, we're so on a tangent. So back on subject: Yay Forsaken!!! ;)

Oh Lord...A to the men on that! R

oofs, not a big deal at all...having employees yelling at the top of their lungs to "keep walking" and "pick up the pace"...THAT is a big deal, as it totally ruins any illusion the house is providing.

I remember going through Hallowed Past with absolutely no one in front of us, nor anyone behind us and having an employee tell us to "keep walking". Seriously? There's no one else within shouting or spitting distance and we have to "keep walking"? To me, that house was meant to be stood in and gawked at.

Anywho...regardless of your take on the whole "roof" conspiracy...when it comes down to it, there are far many more elements that can completely ruin the ambiance of a house besides lack of overhead structure.

Now "pick up the pace" and stop lingering in this thread...

oh god that made me so Fsbmc3.gifING mad

okay i was in catacombs really early, i was one of the first ones there, there was no one in front of me or behind me, I have to say i was really happy to do one of my favorite houses all alone,

i go in, no problem, then those annoying people with the flashlights kept flashing them and tell me to catch up, but there was no one in front of me to catch up with, Did they wanted me to Run out of the house? where there imaginary people in front of me? was I daydreaming? seriously, every single one of them flash my face and told me to go faster, when i had no one in front, at the end when i came out, i saw a small group ahead of me, I guess that's who they wanted me to catch up with but, they were not near me at all, they were way far, there was no way i could catch up Unless I ran up to them,,,

needless to say, worst going through a house ever,

same thing happened to me in Hallow'd past tried to go on the house by myself, kept being told to keep moving, there was a group two rooms ahead of me, I could see them but they were not right in front of me

I guess as long as the people with the flashlights are there, and there is no people in front of you, you might as well forget about enjoying the house and just Run through it...don't want to be mean at all but, god they can be annoying

now to be fair, i know they have a job to do and i know that they are told to keep the guests moving along so that no one stands around not doing anything, but, these people are not robots, can't they see that sometimes there are no people near you? are they blind? sometimes i wonder if is on purpose

I still hate the fact that i could not do catacombs or Hallow'd by myself, because i was blinded and told to KEEP MOVING KEEP MOVING the whole time......

Edited by black mask

Not to prolong the "roof" debate (I think at this point it's beating a dead horse, some are bothered by it some can go either way) I will say that the ops are without a doubt the biggest potential detractor of a house. Good god, can they please get some actual training? It absolutely ruins the experience for them to wave around their flashlights and shriek to keep moving. It's awful. I know where to go. Only step in and assist guests when they appear lost (read: NOT MOVING SLOWLY, LOST) or are causing some sort of trouble.

In Catacombs for the final night last year, weren't all the ops wearing creepy hoods? I wish they could try that for all the ops this year. Would help at least a little.

I just want to interject that the Ops personnel in houses DO recieve training and, in fact, they are doing exactly what they are trained to do.

They're purpose is to make sure people through the houses as QUICKLY and as safely as possible. They're doing their job, and they get more harassment than scareactors do.

I just want to interject that the Ops personnel in houses DO recieve training and, in fact, they are doing exactly what they are trained to do.

They're purpose is to make sure people through the houses as QUICKLY and as safely as possible. They're doing their job, and they get more harassment than scareactors do.

this. I have no problems with the ops because I know they are there for safety reasons. so im not complaining

I worked in Ops in 2008 at Dead Exposure, and I can say nothing pissed me off more than other spotters who stand in their position waving people through with a flashlight.. like REALLY? The basis of a haunted attraction is to be dark and scary, and without the dark, you don't have scary lol. Personally, the only time I turned on my flashlight was to shine light on the floor for a wheelchair, or to blind some idiot troll who got up in my face ;)

BTW, this is my first post on the board :) Been visiting this site religiously for years, but never joined til now.

I don't think any of us are downgrading the reason why there are ops personnel in the houses. Obviously it is for safety reasons. But as many of us have stated, if there is absolutely no one in front of you or behind you in a house...what's the reasoning for telling you to "keep walking" or "pick up the pace"? There were numerous houses in 2010, namely Hallow'd Past, where there were times when there was absolutely no line to get in, let alone anyone in the house at all...yet there were ops people telling you to hurry up and catch up with the group in front of you, when there was no "group" in front of you.

So that we don't clutter up house and zone discussion with OPS talk, here is a place to do so.

I like that there are Ops in the houses, but I do have a problem when their flashlights take my scares. I have been in rooms that they have shown the flashlights and given my spot away....that is when I think OPS aren't doing their job.

I think the flashlights should only be used if there is a guest having trouble seeing where they are going, i.e. in a wheelchair, bad vision, etc. or major issue that needs to be dealt with. Not only do they ruin your scares, but they take away from the ambiance of the house for the guests as well.

I worked in Ops in 2008 at Dead Exposure, and I can say nothing pissed me off more than other spotters who stand in their position waving people through with a flashlight.. like REALLY? The basis of a haunted attraction is to be dark and scary, and without the dark, you don't have scary lol. Personally, the only time I turned on my flashlight was to shine light on the floor for a wheelchair, or to blind some idiot troll who got up in my face ;)

BTW, this is my first post on the board :) Been visiting this site religiously for years, but never joined til now.

SEE...now THAT is how flashlights should be used in a house!!! For situations that involve wheelchairs, yes, please by all means use that flashlight! But don't swing the damn thing to wave people through the house...there's just no point in that. Like you said, it completely takes away the dark factor, which ruins the entire concept of a haunted attraction!

And BTW...welcome to the board! ;)

I don't think any of us are downgrading the reason why there are ops personnel in the houses. Obviously it is for safety reasons. But as many of us have stated, if there is absolutely no one in front of you or behind you in a house...what's the reasoning for telling you to "keep walking" or "pick up the pace"? There were numerous houses in 2010, namely Hallow'd Past, where there were times when there was absolutely no line to get in, let alone anyone in the house at all...yet there were ops people telling you to hurry up and catch up with the group in front of you, when there was no "group" in front of you.

Honestly, the reason is two-fold. One, is that many times they have a hard time seeing behind you or have the same blind corners that scareactors do. If they don't know how many people are in the house at a given moment (and they rarely do), they can't see if no one is behind you or if you are holding up a massive line. So, the tell people to hurry up. It's better for them to tell one person or small group to speed than have thirty people forced to slow down.

Secondly, it's a preemptive action. The Ops don't know if you are simply enjoying the scenery or looking to cause a problem, break something etc. Props and scenery get broken all the time and most of the time it's because no one is there to keep an eye on it and because guests have time to do the damage. The Ops saying something the moment they see you is there way to let you know they are there. The flashlight does the same thing. By making you (and other guests) aware of their pressence, it actually protects the scenery, props and scareactors.

Honestly, the reason is two-fold. One, is that many times they have a hard time seeing behind you or have the same blind corners that scareactors do. If they don't know how many people are in the house at a given moment (and they rarely do), they can't see if no one is behind you or if you are holding up a massive line. So, the tell people to hurry up. It's better for them to tell one person or small group to speed than have thirty people forced to slow down.

Secondly, it's a preemptive action. The Ops don't know if you are simply enjoying the scenery or looking to cause a problem, break something etc. Props and scenery get broken all the time and most of the time it's because no one is there to keep an eye on it and because guests have time to do the damage. The Ops saying something the moment they see you is there way to let you know they are there. The flashlight does the same thing. By making you (and other guests) aware of their pressence, it actually protects the scenery, props and scareactors.

That does make sense being that they have no idea how many people are in the house at one time.

However, I find it sad that because some people can't keep their hands to themselves and must try to steal and/or break props, that the rest of us have to contend with the flashlight treatment...seriously, there were a few times that I felt like I was being interrogated because of the number of flashlights being pointed in our general direction. My night vision is sketchy to begin with, and once I'm in a house it takes a few seconds for me to adjust...and just when I would be fine, I'd get the flashlight... :blink:

I could see keeping it turned on and pointed towards the floor, and maybe swinging it back and forth pointed towards the floor to keep the flow of traffic going, but to point it directly at the line, not so much.

Obviously there are good reasons for both ops staff and flashlight usage, I think that most of us were just taken back by the approach that was taken in some houses.

I remember one time I was in one of the houses and an op pointed their flashlight in my face and told me to keep moving but there was backup since a large group had stop a few rooms ahead causing a line. I responded by tell him where should I go since there is a line that is stopped or moving slowly. There really isn't much reason for the ops to distract those of us following the rules and enjoying the houses.

I remember one time I was in one of the houses and an op pointed their flashlight in my face and told me to keep moving but there was backup since a large group had stop a few rooms ahead causing a line. I responded by tell him where should I go since there is a line that is stopped or moving slowly. There really isn't much reason for the ops to distract those of us following the rules and enjoying the houses.

Like stated, it's preemptive. It's better for them to assume no one is going to follow the rules than react too late. The only difference between the two can be determined only after something happens.

To be fair, it's usually not ops' fault. I know many people that do ops every year, and they have been written up before for their supervisor catching them not moving a crowd along, even when there has been a mere 5-10 feet between the guest and the people in front of them. They do their job so they don't get in trouble, don't be too harsh on them.

Do they have to be rude about it? No. But it's what they're paid to do.

To be fair, it's usually not ops' fault. I know many people that do ops every year, and they have been written up before for their supervisor catching them not moving a crowd along, even when there has been a mere 5-10 feet between the guest and the people in front of them. They do their job so they don't get in trouble, don't be too harsh on them.

Do they have to be rude about it? No. But it's what they're paid to do.

Working ops for any event out there can be a thankless job. I've worked Macy's and Mardi Gras, and sometimes it's very hard to do your job without ticking people off...LOL

I have only ran into maybe three or four staff members who seemed to have a God complex when it came to working inside the houses. These were the same people who insisted on blinding everyone with a flashlight too.

Their all paid to make the event safe so that as guests we can go along our way and enjoy ourselves without all hell breaking loose. I give 'em kudos, it's a thankless but vital job to say the least.

While I understand why Ops are needed, and while you could never pay me enough money to do their job, they need to use some common sense. I've learned to tune them out when there's no one else in a house in front of me and I'm admiring the details. Yeah, I'm sure some people stop and do something destructive, but puh-leeze! I'm a middle-aged woman, not some punk guy drunk on booze and testosterone. I'd think they'd have the ability to distinguish between a likely threat and someone who is simply admiring the artistry. Please forgive me if I'm wrong and am just unaware of the marauding bands of 40-something sober women who love to tear up the houses.

I loved the Ops in the robes last year, and props to the one who even petted my cat one time when I went through (remember the cat combing?).

The funniest thing is that Ops aren't there when you need it when i went on my 2nd walkthrough in Orphanage and i was stuck where the floating doll room was and didn't know where to go, i didn't see any Ops or crowd to show me a way as it was very dark and the scareactor pointed the way which kinda made me laugh and pretty annoyed of how Ops are handled and their positions. Yes there great for the drunks problem but i hardly do see that problem really happen. But yes major damage on scenery and there not in places you want them to be.

Okay and now an ops stand point..... Yes there is training, yes we have to get people in quickly, YES we have to use flashlights to ASSIST people with finding their way through the house...... But another thing to keep in mind.... ear plug requirements!!!! Unless you are seriously shouting at them there is no way for them to know if you are stalling or in need of assistance. The houses are loud and the ear plugs save their hearing BUT even then there is sometimes too much noise to understand you saying "I couldn't find my way" or "Just get out of my way!"

Even I want to stop in rooms and look around but you let 1 person stop and absorb the scenery, it can and will cause a snowball effect. How would you like to be the person who is told "sorry the line is 4 hours long and you have to walk a quarter of a mile at a slow pace because we are allowing people to take their time."

Also it was mentioned before OPS gets harassed more than the scareactors, and mostly because it's the only people they can really see. I have been felt up and groped and that was working at a well lit ride!!!

I understand that some people have power trips and take it too far. Go ahead and turn them in if it's way too out of line. A quick flash of the light (on the pathway) and a "stay with the group in front" is exactly what is trained. If the line stops completely and there is no cause in sight of the OPS TM is understandable for a yell. To flash a scareactor or scenery (unless you are about to walk into something you shouldn't) is unacceptable. To scream at you while you are moving with the line and/ or at a normal walking pace is unacceptable.

I ask you guys to please understand that OPS does the best they can. Yes there is always an A**Hole or B**tch (I can be one myself if you get in my face) but please do not blame the whole team for doing their job or because one person is being a prick.

I really don't like the people who have always wanted to be scareactors and aren't, so they think they can take it upon themselves to scare/attempt to scare the guests who walk through the houses. Those are the ones who inevitably will steal or block a scare. Those are the op's that need to do their job and stop trying to do mine.

i can see why that bothers you as an actor,

but i never really had a problem with this, doesn't really happen often either, but at least they are not being really mean,

wnat you see the most is the half dead angry as hell look,

Okay and now an ops stand point..... Yes there is training, yes we have to get people in quickly, YES we have to use flashlights to ASSIST people with finding their way through the house...... But another thing to keep in mind.... ear plug requirements!!!! Unless you are seriously shouting at them there is no way for them to know if you are stalling or in need of assistance. The houses are loud and the ear plugs save their hearing BUT even then there is sometimes too much noise to understand you saying "I couldn't find my way" or "Just get out of my way!"

Even I want to stop in rooms and look around but you let 1 person stop and absorb the scenery, it can and will cause a snowball effect. How would you like to be the person who is told "sorry the line is 4 hours long and you have to walk a quarter of a mile at a slow pace because we are allowing people to take their time."

Also it was mentioned before OPS gets harassed more than the scareactors, and mostly because it's the only people they can really see. I have been felt up and groped and that was working at a well lit ride!!!

I understand that some people have power trips and take it too far. Go ahead and turn them in if it's way too out of line. A quick flash of the light (on the pathway) and a "stay with the group in front" is exactly what is trained. If the line stops completely and there is no cause in sight of the OPS TM is understandable for a yell. To flash a scareactor or scenery (unless you are about to walk into something you shouldn't) is unacceptable. To scream at you while you are moving with the line and/ or at a normal walking pace is unacceptable.

I ask you guys to please understand that OPS does the best they can. Yes there is always an A**Hole or B**tch (I can be one myself if you get in my face) but please do not blame the whole team for doing their job or because one person is being a prick.

i totally understand you and in years past i never really complained about the OPS, i never had a reason to complain, they never really bothered me personally that bad, there were a few times but

what happened last year has no excuse, i was first in line, i was alone in catacombs like i said, no one, no one in front of me, rooms in front of me empty, and, OPS flashing and saying keep moving,

that was really, really bad on their part, is like they didn't even look, actually a few of them didn't even look at me in the face, they said move along while looking to the side like "this guy is so dumb"

so yeah, that was my beef, there was no one in front, they ruined my night i know they are told to keep lines moving but, cant they use their head?

also, to keep the line moving, does that mean i have to i have to but against the person's butt in front of me? because that's what some of the OPS are saying pretty much, sometimes im really near the person in front of me, but i am not breathing down their neck, and i get told to keep moving, im thinking, what, do i jump on their back??

Edited by black mask

I have had a few instances of "hurry up" over the years. My simple solution (and it would be great to get feedback from people who are ops) is to ignore them. Keep walking at your normal pace. All they can do is keep yelling, it's not like they can grab your arm and shove you forward. Just be cool about it: no cursing or shoving the ops. I highly doubt you'll get ejected from the park.

While I understand why Ops are needed, and while you could never pay me enough money to do their job, they need to use some common sense. I've learned to tune them out when there's no one else in a house in front of me and I'm admiring the details. Yeah, I'm sure some people stop and do something destructive, but puh-leeze! I'm a middle-aged woman, not some punk guy drunk on booze and testosterone. I'd think they'd have the ability to distinguish between a likely threat and someone who is simply admiring the artistry. Please forgive me if I'm wrong and am just unaware of the marauding bands of 40-something sober women who love to tear up the houses.

In the 15 seconds Ops/Scareactors see someone, it's kinda hard to tell drunk/sober, normal/idiot. I will say that 40-something women can cause just as many problems a 20-year-old frat boys. I've been hit by a couple, who then turned around and laughed in my face. So, while you may have never caused a problem at the event, there are countless women in the same age-group that have. It's nothing personal against you, it's just a fact of the event.

Yes there great for the drunks problem but i hardly do see that problem really happen. But yes major damage on scenery and there not in places you want them to be.

A lot of guest may never see the type of stuff Ops can see multiple times a night. You may have never see a drunk causing a problem, but nearly every veteran scareactor or Op has.

what happened last year has no excuse, i was first in line, i was alone in catacombs like i said, no one, no one in front of me, rooms in front of me empty, and, OPS flashing and saying keep moving,

that was really, really bad on their part, is like they didn't even look, actually a few of them didn't even look at me in the face, they said move along while looking to the side like "this guy is so dumb"

so yeah, that was my beef, there was no one in front, they ruined my night i know they are told to keep lines moving but, cant they use their head?

also, to keep the line moving, does that mean i have to i have to but against the person's butt in front of me? because that's what some of the OPS are saying pretty much, sometimes im really near the person in front of me, but i am not breathing down their neck, and i get told to keep moving, im thinking, what, do i jump on their back??

You keep saying there was no one in front of you, but how many people were behind you? Just like Dollfie said, it isn't about the space in front of you. It's about the person 100 people behind you.

And regarding how they said it, they will say the exact same phrase, upwards a thousand times a night. It gets quite tedious for them, and essentially becomes rote. If that is what "ruined your night," I really hope you can re-evaluate what makes a good night at HHN.