I was thinking the other day. Universal is a movie studio, and they own the rights to all these amazing characters that they've created for Horror Nights over the years. Wouldn't it be cool if they started making actual horror movies with these characters? I don't see what would really stop them. They own the characters, They have access to film writers, directors, and set designers. They certainly can't have any doubts about the market for such movies. Just look at how popular HHN is, after all.

Personally, I was thinking it'd be a great idea if they got into the habit of producing a movie to introduce each icon and timed it's release with the beginning of Horror Night. Hell, they could even sell DVDs and Blu-Rays of the movie at the event itself. I know I'd buy one. It would just be one more way to help people get into the back story of these icons.

The movies wouldn't even have to be particularly large-budget. It'd be great if they COULD use big-name directors and/or actors and use cutting edge special effects, but this isn't strictly necessary. Done right, each movie could just be a one-hour short film in much the same style as the "Masters of Horror" series.

What do you all think?

I was thinking the other day. Universal is a movie studio, and they own the rights to all these amazing characters that they've created for Horror Nights over the years. Wouldn't it be cool if they started making actual horror movies with these characters? I don't see what would really stop them. They own the characters, They have access to film writers, directors, and set designers. They certainly can't have any doubts about the market for such movies. Just look at how popular HHN is, after all.

Personally, I was thinking it'd be a great idea if they got into the habit of producing a movie to introduce each icon and timed it's release with the beginning of Horror Night. Hell, they could even sell DVDs and Blu-Rays of the movie at the event itself. I know I'd buy one. It would just be one more way to help people get into the back story of these icons.

The movies wouldn't even have to be particularly large-budget. It'd be great if they COULD use big-name directors and/or actors and use cutting edge special effects, but this isn't strictly necessary. Done right, each movie could just be a one-hour short film in much the same style as the "Masters of Horror" series.

What do you all think?

It's been discussed, with rumor of a Jack Schmit film being in the pipe for a while now. Plan and simple, outside of Florida, few people know or care about Halloween Horror Nights, unless they are horror-event junkies (not just horror-film junkies). While the stories of Jack, Albert and Polan would probably be great films if done right, there just isn't a wide enough audience for them. The popularity of the event is not truly indicative of the popularity of the characters. I hate Jack, and probably wouldn't go see his movie. I definitely wouldn't bother with a Julian film. Scream 4 didn't have the opening people expected, and that was highly anticipated. Horror films just don't attract a wide-enough audience.

While Universal as a whole has "access" to what is necessary to produce a film featuring the characters, that statement ignores the complexities of their system. Universal Pictures (the film side) is completely separate from the Theme Parks Division. The only real concern shared between the two is, "Can that movie make a good attraction?" That's it. Universal Orlando owns the rights to the icons (Hollywood has it's own division that designs their event. They had to get permission to use the Director). It isn't as broad and simple as the "Universal owns it all" statement suggest.

Then you have the issue of continuity. The icons are developed with the event itself. They don't necessarily say, "I have this great idea for an Icon, let's build the event around them;" there is, I imagine, a great deal of fluidity with the process. We saw the original concept video of HHN XX that showed that Fear as we knew him wasn't necessarily part of the event. The Storyteller (I can never remember her name) is proof of that, as she was a last minute replacement for the Terra Queen. The icon and their full, complete backstory (for both the house and marketing, again two separate entities) probably isn't "finished" until May or June. That's if there aren't any changes.

In order for them to have a DVD ready to be released at the START of the event (and assuming the character is completely finished in April), they would have have a script written (which can take YEARS to get a good script), pre-production (which doesn't happen until the script is written) including auditioning, casting, location-scouting, crew-hiring, etc., production (four weeks would be a very tight schedule), and post-production before September, when the DVDs would have to be pressed and stocked. That would give them a generous six months to do everything. That's slightly more time than film students have, and most of them already have scripts before they start doing all this work. In other words, it's not really feasible to put together a decent (let along good) film in that short of time period.

Interesting idea, but I agree with Legacy on this.

However there are two horror films that already exist with roots in HHN.

The first is Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses. In 1999 Zombie first collaborated with Universal's A&D in Hollywood to design a haunted house for the Hollywood event that year The Thrilling Chilling World of Rob Zombie.

The following year, 2000 he continued at HHN Hollywood with a house called House of 1000 Corpses. Universal liked the designs for that house so much that they suggested he make it into a feature film which they could promote with the house at the event. Although the house was very successful that year, Universal pulled out of the film project, apparently they didn't like the rough cuts that they saw.

Zombie then took the film to MGM and it was ready to be released when he appeared on an MTV Halloween special to promote the film and the house. In the televised interview he was asked why the film was being released by MGM instead of Universal. He gave a rather ill-conceived answer that Universal had objected to the film on moral grounds and MGM had no problems because "MGM has no morals".

MGM promptly dropped the project after these remarks. Thus the film was in limbo until Lionsgate finally stepped in and it was released in 2003.

The other film is a low budget horror film called Scare Zone . This film was shot in 2009 using the still standing sets of the house Body Collectors: Collections of the Past. It has played the festival circuit but has not been in any wide release. A DVD is expected to be released on July 13, 2011.

You can learn more about this film at its official site here>http://scarezonemovie.com/ and its Facebook page here>http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scare-Zone/122793803956

Edited by Dr. Jimmy

I always thought the same, yeah, I thought why dont they make movies,

but, that could backfire and kill the icons, a bad movie will ruin their reputation, a really bad movie could make the audience to stop liking them all together, I don't know, I always try to imagine movies with the Icons, specially the director and the usher, they could each have a movie that would be amazing,

The Storyteller (I can never remember her name) is proof of that, as she was a last minute replacement for the Terra Queen.

I will say that you're incorrect about this, but it's an extremely common mistake. I have heard from the mouth of TJ himself that the Storyteller was always meant to be there. She wasn't something cobbled together by marketing because the costumes/motorcycle weren't ready, nothing like that. She was always meant to represent the event.

I will say that you're incorrect about this, but it's an extremely common mistake. I have heard from the mouth of TJ himself that the Storyteller was always meant to be there. She wasn't something cobbled together by marketing because the costumes/motorcycle weren't ready, nothing like that. She was always meant to represent the event.

Fair enough. In that case, she was poorly managed. I didn't get to attend the event, but when 80% of your event is a world absent from the icon, and she is only seen in a poorly received house, that's a loss.

Albert Caine in 2002 had his face projected on a screen you had to walk through at the front of the park, was in the Port of Evil as a performer/barker, and had the house.

Polan Romanski had his Phobia show in Lost Continent, his house, and "movie props" scattered throughout the park.

The Storyteller's impact over the event doesn't seem to compare. Fear seemed to have had a bigger in-park presence.

I didn't get to hear any more from him, but it does seem that while the Terra Queen was always meant to play second fiddle in terms of marketing and iconship, she would have a bigger presence in the parks in general because she was the canonical ruler of the land of Terra Cruentes.

I'd love to see a movie (or movies) based on the icons. I understand all of Legacy's points and he is correct though. Still, it's fun to imagine. They're great characters and who wouldn't love to see them starring in their own films, like Freddy and Jason did. Remember that queue video for Scream House? It had a great story and was truly terrifying. Stretched to feature length could be a very memorable horror flick.

But to Legacy's point, the parks are completely separate from the film side of the business. Even here in Hollywood, even though the park is ATTACHED to the Lot, the park and films do NOT mix. Odd? A little. But that's the way it goes.

One quick side note: remember Van Helsing? Not a good movie (but a guilty pleasure for me) but there was a character in it that was a gravedigger and mortician. He was tall, thin, and pale. He had long stringy white hair, wore a black suit and a tall top hat. Sound like anyone familiar to you? It was so similar that it always made me go 'hmmmmmm'. Maybe Stephen Sommers is a big HHN fan?

Edited by Creeper06

A movie based on the icons would be cool. I would really like to see one with The Caretaker and Cindy. I wouldn't mind a Jack/Eddie one either. Since they put the icons away for awhile it really wouldn't matter if the movie was bad and turned people off of the individual icon. Your always going to have people who don't like a movie for some reason or another. As for nobody outside of Florida and California (even though I do and I live in Pa) knowing about the icons that could work in Universal's favor. They don't need to base the movie on the event but just the backstory of the icon. If people in the audience in say Michigan like what they saw and searched for Jack or The Caretaker online they would then find HHN. It could work in Universal's favor. If the movie is good enough then the movie will sell itself. If the movie is good enough it is going to draw people into wanting to experience HHN. I think it is an interesting idea and honestly have thought about it before myself. I for one hope it happens some day but sure won't be holding my breath.

Funny thing is i thought about this a few times also. IMO the movie would be a clone of Creep Show where its a series of tales or like krypt keeper just the stories would be all the different houses and they be like 20-40 mins each. Thats the best way i can think of that movie or they just give the icons spinoffs of actual movies but i wouldnt want to risk their popularity being destroyed by potentially making a bad flim.

There is one BIG problem that a movie featuring an Icon would present that nobody has yet addressed.

IF they went ahead with such a project you could pretty much kiss the whole 'New Era of Darkness' goodbye as I really doubt that the higher ups at Universal would allow Orlando's A&D team to put on an HHN event without tying it in to the Icon movie.

Personally, I love the idea of having an HHN icon movie. And while yes, Legacy has a point when he says there is very little fanbase outside of the horror community, I think it's still a stellar idea. Think about it: a DVD collection with a series of short films, each pertaining to a different icon. They wouldnt have to be big budget or anything; we dont need super incredible graphics or big name actors to make it great. Although I would insist on using the same actors for the icons that they used in commercials/media and such. It just wouldnt be the same if we had some unknown Jack the Clown roaming around.

And as for the sale of the DVD, it could start off small. Maybe they'd only sell them during the event? Maybe it could be some sort of limited edition box set sort of thing? And every year they make a new small film about the new icon. (Or maybe pertaining to one of the more well known houses or scarezones.) Maybe they'll start selling them on the internet and the demand for them will be high, seeing as they would only sell a limited number in the parks everynight......I guess what I'm trying to say is that its not a terrible idea. But, sadly, it would only really interest the fanatics like us :/ I'll be honest though; if they ever DID do something like this, and did it right, I think it would spark a big interest not only in the event, but in doing your own research on the icon. Maybe it's just a silly fantasy but still, I wouldnt mind a bit, owning all the DVD backstories <3

Edited by Lambier

Think about it: a DVD collection with a series of short films, each pertaining to a different icon. They wouldnt have to be big budget or anything; we dont need super incredible graphics or big name actors to make it great.

They did do a series of short films for the icons back in '06 for Sweet 16. I think they were a part of marketing (correct me if i'm wrong.).

Yes, HHN 16 had full versions of those clips that have been seen; the Caretaker chased a woman around Screamhouse, Jack escaped in the Psychoscarepy house, the Storyteller narrated a story of a guy losing his hand in the garbage disposal in the Scream living room in All-Nite Die In, and the Director gave a monologue while sitting in a black and white movie theater. All of it was presented by a Projectionist who had gone insane from watching the footage.

Bits of the footage was used for the Sweet 16 lagoon show.

The first is Rob Zombie's House of 1000 Corpses. In 1999 Zombie first collaborated with Universal's A&D in Hollywood to design a haunted house for the Hollywood event that year The Thrilling Chilling World of Rob Zombie.

The following year, 2000 he continued at HHN Hollywood with a house called House of 1000 Corpses. Universal liked the designs for that house so much that they suggested he make it into a feature film which they could promote with the house at the event. Although the house was very successful that year, Universal pulled out of the film project, apparently they didn't like the rough cuts that they saw.

The 2000 house was intended to be called House of 1000 Corpses. It was in the Uni press releases leading up to the event; however, when they decided to not release the movie, they had to change the name of the house at the last minute. It ended up being called Rob Zombie's American Nightmare. I posted my old park maps from the 1st and 2nd rebirth of HHN Hollywood on this site.

http://www.horrornightnightmares.com/forums/index.php/forum/74-hhn-hollywood-i-iv-1997-2000/

Also, I believe the HOTC house did not lead to the movie. It was the other way around. HOTC production wrapped early in 2000, and Universal subsequently asked him to be involved in the house design. There's little chance a movie could have been written, scheduled, and shot in 2000, following house design. At least this is the way I heard it from Rob's manager at the Halloween II special screening. It was at that screening that I found out that Rob was in negotiations with Uni to do another house in Hollywood.

Edited by zombieman

What do you all think?

DUDE! Like... That what I was thinking of! Like Jack the Clown in his own Horror Movie. Not to mention The Caretaker, The Director, The Story Teller, Eddie (the guy with the chainsaw...), and FEAR!...

I mailed a letter to Universal a while back this year, and asked them 'bout it. Haven't got a reply back from the, yet.

DUDE! Like... That what I was thinking of! Like Jack the Clown in his own Horror Movie. Not to mention The Caretaker, The Director, The Story Teller, Eddie (the guy with the chainsaw...), and FEAR!...

I mailed a letter to Universal a while back this year, and asked them 'bout it. Haven't got a reply back from the, yet.

Depending on which department it was sent to, you won't.

Depending on which department it was sent to, you won't.

I agree even if you did give it to the right department, i wouldn't doubt that they have gotten TONS of it before and have scrapped them even though they do love the fan mail. I like the exclusive feel to the icons that are seen only at the parks and at the same time there was a post here that talked about making the icons movies that be shown around the country and it would spark the peoples curiosity(given they loved the movie and want to dig into their bios of these chars)and find they are found only at HHN then ya it would bring in more people IF the movies are a hit which most people these days can shrug off horror films and let them turn into cheap dvds unrated next to the adult films shelf. Legacy made a better explanation earlier and this sort of junk im just typing this for the people who havent read the other page yet :P.

That's probably because Elsa doesn't REALLY have a backstory. We know a few tidbits about her, but compared to the others, she's alot more flat. However, that could definitely work to an advantage too. Because she doesn't have a full backstory, IF they decided to make a movie, they would be able to do alot of whatever they wanted with her. It would be more room to play where as with somebody like Jack, things are more set in stone.