HHN XXI Wishful Thinking

Okay, I'm biting just for Fearman. :lol: He wanted brainstorming, so here.

What I would like to see (my wishful thinking) is a logical continuation of the Fear/deity story-line. By that, I want what always happens when a deity appears to happen in 2011: a religion/cult that worships Adaru. They are attempting to bring Adaru back to from the ether, and they believe that they must invoke as much fear as possible to entice him back. It allows a zone similar to the Caretaker's Port of Evil from 2002, with torture devices, and the integration of a "Sacrifice" similar to Terra Cruentes. The signature house would be an abandonned, derelict church that has been taken over by the Cult of Fear which, because of the effectiveness of the Cult's actions, actually opens a portal to Adaru's dimension (call it "Unholy").

The "nice" thing with utilizing this story is that Legendary Truth already seems to be flirting with it. The promotion of Gabriel, and the generally "suspicious" nature of LT with the initial unleashing of Fear would make it very easy for LT to be the point of origin for this cult.

It gives us everything we need. A continuation of Fear, a signature location for Fear, the ability to continue HHN Canon, LT, and a point of controversy for the "negative" publicity.

I like that idea.

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a cool idea! Reminds me of a ROF mixed with the HHN12 "followers"

but perhaps bringing him back this early would be invoking the Jack curse...

Maybe the followers have to invoke a new set of deities in order to bring him back from... uh... Actually where did he go? did he go back to the lantern? Is he lurking in the shadows of the backlot? Did he get a seasonal job as one of those people who tries to sell you discount park tickets? (no one would notice because everyone avoids eye contact with those people)

Maybe a reimaged Death... as a woman (kind like the I posted about in the other thread)

i think the Grim reaper is played. but, as death comes in many different forms in life... why not a woman?

I would definitely like to see Fear reimaged. I think he looked like a larve.. unfinished... or perhaps in the middle of a transformation. Maybe have the roots take over... or at the very least make his head look less phallic at certain angles 0.O

Edited by JWFearman

Okay, I'm biting just for Fearman. :lol: He wanted brainstorming, so here.

What I would like to see (my wishful thinking) is a logical continuation of the Fear/deity story-line. By that, I want what always happens when a deity appears to happen in 2011: a religion/cult that worships Adaru. They are attempting to bring Adaru back to from the ether, and they believe that they must invoke as much fear as possible to entice him back. It allows a zone similar to the Caretaker's Port of Evil from 2002, with torture devices, and the integration of a "Sacrifice" similar to Terra Cruentes. The signature house would be an abandonned, derelict church that has been taken over by the Cult of Fear which, because of the effectiveness of the Cult's actions, actually opens a portal to Adaru's dimension (call it "Unholy").

The "nice" thing with utilizing this story is that Legendary Truth already seems to be flirting with it. The promotion of Gabriel, and the generally "suspicious" nature of LT with the initial unleashing of Fear would make it very easy for LT to be the point of origin for this cult.

It gives us everything we need. A continuation of Fear, a signature location for Fear, the ability to continue HHN Canon, LT, and a point of controversy for the "negative" publicity.

Oh my god, you nailed it. Universal A&D, hire this man. If they were to execute something similar to this they would've made up for HHNXX's shortcomings completely in my book. Imagine the pre-reveal site, filled to the brim with the Cult of Fear's findings. Legendary Truth integration is just waiting to happen. It would give FEAR a purpose, with the Cult speculating what he will do now that he's here. Their conclusion & goal of course is to generate as much fear as possible to give him power.

The idea of the Cult reminds me of a cross between the cults of Cthulu & the Unitology cult from Dead Space. And if they were able to pull off that abandoned "Church of FEAR"? Absolutely mindblowing.

In the midst of last year's rumors and speculation regarding a pervasive "Fear" entity, I got my hopes up that the Icon would have some tie-in to the Cthulhu mythology. Alas, it wasn't meant to be last year. That said, some of this year's "Cult/Church of Fear" speculation bears resemblance to the groups who supposedly worship the slumbering Cthulhu.

We've had events that incorporated imagery from Edgar Allen Poe and rumors of events featuring Stephen King's creations. There are whispers of Richard Matheson (what with all of the I Am Legend and Hell House talk of late), as well. Well, if they're finding inspiration from famous works of horror fiction, why not delve into HP Lovecraft's work? If I'm not mistaken, this year will bring the release of Guillermo del Toro's "At the Mountains of Madness" film, so there's a direct movie tie-in.

For those of you with longer HHN tenure than myself, have there ever been any instances of Lovecraftian horrors at the event? I might ask, "Done? Which horror?"

In the midst of last year's rumors and speculation regarding a pervasive "Fear" entity, I got my hopes up that the Icon would have some tie-in to the Cthulhu mythology. Alas, it wasn't meant to be last year. That said, some of this year's "Cult/Church of Fear" speculation bears resemblance to the groups who supposedly worship the slumbering Cthulhu.

We've had events that incorporated imagery from Edgar Allen Poe and rumors of events featuring Stephen King's creations. There are whispers of Richard Matheson (what with all of the I Am Legend and Hell House talk of late), as well. Well, if they're finding inspiration from famous works of horror fiction, why not delve into HP Lovecraft's work? If I'm not mistaken, this year will bring the release of Guillermo del Toro's "At the Mountains of Madness" film, so there's a direct movie tie-in.

For those of you with longer HHN tenure than myself, have there ever been any instances of Lovecraftian horrors at the event? I might ask, "Done? Which horror?"

I think there have been nods to it. Say creatures for example. But nothing directly Cthulhu. Of course, having said that, I cannot remember another.

The Edgar Allen Poe and Stephen King thing came from a survey we had a few years back. Asking about various different ideas we would like to see at HHN. Another was Romero's Night of the Living Dead... But that was... 08? IDK I think they just like to test the waters sometimes.

(Like the survey about having a new LOTR/Santa/Vampire/Scooby-Doo theme park behind the Lowe's theater)

Edited by JWFearman

I think there have been nods to it. Say creatures for example. But nothing directly Cthulhu. Of course, having said that, I cannot remember another.

Cthulhu? You mean the giant creature the Cartman summoned to kill Justin Bieber in South Park? lol

I would love to see some sort of 3D maze that revolves around a mardi gras theme. Instead of using the typical black-light maze like Jack's Clown-O-Vision in 2007, it would use the LED strobes like House of 1000 Corpses in the Hollywood event.

The Edgar Allen Poe and Stephen King thing came from a survey we had a few years back. Asking about various different ideas we would like to see at HHN. Another was Romero's Night of the Living Dead... But that was... 08? IDK I think they just like to test the waters sometimes.

(Like the survey about having a new LOTR/Santa/Vampire/Scooby-Doo theme park behind the Lowe's theater)

I've already said it but will repeat: I absolutely love the idea of a literature based HHN. They've actually had a few literary themes lately and I think they were mostly successful. HHN 18 was especially steeped in classic lit and the two most popular houses in HHN 19 were taken more from the novels than the films (Frankenstein and Dracula) so maybe a year with Poe or Lovecraft (or Blackwood or Bierce!) is due. Poe was so visual in his writing that I think he would be more adaptable for an entire event. He used color and texture more effectively than most horror/dark fantasy writers do even today!

Or, perhaps a library comes to life, spilling it's monsters into the real world, giving us houses from each of our favorites. It could be one of those 'arcs' that were discussed by A&D a few years ago. They could do it chronologically; pre-20th Century would include; Poe, Blackwood, Bierce, Hugo, Baudelaire, Stevenson and Wells - no Shelly or Stoker as they've been done, but other authors who are equally (or moreso) responsible for horror as we know it. HHN 22 could be early 20th Century and give us Lovecraft, Howard, Bradbury, Orwell, Huxley, Matheson, Levin, Bloch, maybe even Kafka. HHN 23 would be mid-20th century and up; King, Rice, Barker, Blatty, Collins, Simmons, Koontz, Brite, and perhaps some graphic novelists like Moore and Gaiman. I think, once, there was a discussion of a librarian as the icon, which I also think is a grand idea. For the three years of the arc, the librarian becomes more and more powerful and and the end of the arc the 'library' is destroyed.

Oh, yeah, still wishing. I'm sure it will have nothing to do with any of this. Sigh.

Mae

Please don't misread the "Church of Fear" as speculation. It's what I would like to see. Nothing more. There have been no hints (to my knowledge) that would imply that a Cult is where A&D is going this year.

Had a dream last night I was at HHN. I went into a house that was very similar to The Hallow'd Past this year. But all the rooms were huge, each was about the size of a gymnasium. There was a movies room, animal room, Scary Tales room, and Icon room. The rooms were very open, similar to a scarezone in the streets. Also the actors could touch you and actually threw people around, it was quite entertaining to see in my mind. Anyways I was just wondering if there had been scarezones indoors and if they were as big as I saw mine. Something like that would be quite interesting to experience I believe.

I heard somewhere that Stephen King won't license out his works for theme parks.

I think it was someone here or in the Vault that mention this, but, i am not sure, really sucks though, he has enough material for the entire event, houses and scarezones and everything,

But some of his stories, which would be the most recognizable, really wouldn't work as a walk-through, scareactor-filled, haunted house. Cujo? Christine? Tommyknockers? Even the Stand. King novels thrive on either A) Suspense, which is extremely difficult to do effectively; or B) Compelling, unique characters. Would a Christine scarezone just people be screaming, "Look out for the car," in the middle of walk-way that revs every thirty seconds? Would a Cujo house have people dressed like rabid dogs? The Stand scarezone would have people in plain-clothes yelling at each other.

Stephen King, marketing-wise, would be a coup, but I don't think the event itself would be very good. Because of how iconic King movies are, the houses would be too focused on set-pieces ("Look, it's Jack Nicholson axing through the door") than really allowing scareactors to scare.

A Poe event, on the otherhand, would be amazing and would allow A&D to be creative with design and characters because there aren't defined visuals and expectations.

I think, as a rule, other IP take away from A&D creative talents. sure a movie house is good here and there... But they have a far greater ability to be creative with their own work than having todo things just so. Now, myths and public domain characters... or just concepts work well because they can tweak how they want.

But some of his stories, which would be the most recognizable, really wouldn't work as a walk-through, scareactor-filled, haunted house. Cujo? Christine? Tommyknockers? Even the Stand. King novels thrive on either A) Suspense, which is extremely difficult to do effectively; or B) Compelling, unique characters. Would a Christine scarezone just people be screaming, "Look out for the car," in the middle of walk-way that revs every thirty seconds? Would a Cujo house have people dressed like rabid dogs? The Stand scarezone would have people in plain-clothes yelling at each other.

Stephen King, marketing-wise, would be a coup, but I don't think the event itself would be very good. Because of how iconic King movies are, the houses would be too focused on set-pieces ("Look, it's Jack Nicholson axing through the door") than really allowing scareactors to scare.

A Poe event, on the otherhand, would be amazing and would allow A&D to be creative with design and characters because there aren't defined visuals and expectations.

mmm, I think you are right, But at the same time, reading your post made me think, An entire house might not be good, but a House in the style of Silver screams based on his works could work

you could have a Pet Sematary room, or two rooms, a salem's lot room, a Cujo room, a Carrie room maybe? a shinning room, A children of the corn room, maybe a sleepwalkers room?

I mean, like this thread says, wishful thinking here, nothing more, we will never see any of this but, it would be cool

OK just thought of it... for the comical relief house.... SLIMERS REVENGE! UO already owns the rights to Ghost Busters and i think that house cold be amazing. they cound hve amazing ghost animatronics for like the library scene... different lazers flyin around... slimer could be on like a screen to where he could fly down a hall or somethin. the cue could be like all 4 GB's tied up talkin trash... just think it would be cool... somethin id like to see

OK just thought of it... for the comical relief house.... SLIMERS REVENGE! UO already owns the rights to Ghost Busters and i think that house cold be amazing. they cound hve amazing ghost animatronics for like the library scene... different lazers flyin around... slimer could be on like a screen to where he could fly down a hall or somethin. the cue could be like all 4 GB's tied up talkin trash... just think it would be cool... somethin id like to see

if they ever made GB 3 (which might never happen) I could totally see Uni doing a scarezone of a house to promote it, and, I would be happy about that

Oh, I think Tommyknockers would work quite well. Salem's Lot, The Shining, Desperation & The Regulators, even Rose Madder all have some ideas that would be super in a haunted maze. Cell, Dreamcatcher, and, the Dome one - City Under the Dome or Under the Dome? - all have themes that HHN has already dealt with, in fact. Draping them in King's stories would be realtively simple and a thrill for any King fan.

I would rather Poe, personally, as that's where I found my love for the macabre (as have countless others!). Plus, I love period haunts, but you can probably blame too many Roger Corman movies on that preference. ;)

Mae

Rose Red... a Made for TV movie about a possesed haunted house... (seems to be based off the real life winchester house) sounds like an easy haunted house to me ;)

But IT, the Shinning... all the ones Mae mentioned... there are plenty that would work... but if he wont allow them to be used then its a moot point.

2002-01-25-inside-rose-red.jpg

Edited by JWFearman

I think it was someone here or in the Vault that mention this, but, i am not sure, really sucks though, he has enough material for the entire event, houses and scarezones and everything,

Might have been here or on Rumors. All I know is that it was very recent; within this month.