HHN XXI Wishful Thinking

• Replies 805
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone that says anything of a sequel to HAVOC is a friend of mine but I still prefer to see it in the streets before a sequel house :)

Maybe the streets of New York? ;)

Actually, in that case it would probably be better suited as a scarezone. Then again, Zombiegeddon was tied in with Zombie Gras so maybe they could have a Havoc-in-NY maze in Nazzarman's, then have the scarezone in the street. Just a thought.

I'm prob in the minority but I wouldn't mind seeing an outdoor house or a house with outdoor elements.

I'd really love to see an outdoors/outdoors elements houses. But I think A&D would have to control the weather environments due being outside would affect the scareactors and guests. I guess they could put a tarp or some sort of cover very high above the guests.

I think it would be neat it the Parade Building or either of the Sprung Tents had an outdoor scene either before or after the house.

What do y'all think?

I thought he was talking about outdoor scenes with the house, being in a set that replicates outdoors.

I think outdoor scenes outdoors are called scarezones. just saying.

Anyway the castle vampr I mentioned was the 2004 house with the graveyard scene upon entering.

Actually we have had houses with outdoor elements, Jungle of Doom in 2003 was almost entirely outdoors and most recently Vampyr: Bloodbath in 2007 was partially outdoors. Neither were considered to be particularly good houses and indeed they became somewhat dreary during torrential rainfalls.

Edited by Dr. Jimmy

Actually we have had houses with outdoor elements, Jungle of Doom in 2003 was almost entirely outdoors and most recently Vampyr: Bloodbath in 2007 was partially outdoors. Neither were considered to be particularly good houses and indeed they became somewhat dreary during torrential rainfalls.

I have to agree I haven't liked too many "outdoor" houses (although I recall liking boneyard). Mainly the amount of bleed in from light, sound, and other natural elements seem to break the realisim and Florida's tempermental weather makes it a hit or miss.

Edited by JWFearman

I can remember at least a dozen different houses that had outdoor themes (1-2 from each year that I've been, easy), or at least memorable outdoor scenes, and were completely enclosed. Reflections of Fear had one in nearly every house that year. Interstellar Terror would be the one without; tho ,if you wanted to get technical, the scene with the actor being sucked out into space could count. Now, as far as one whole and enclosed house being set 'outside', I don't think that has ever been done. Perhaps F13 or The Orfanage, mostly because the sets were greatly exposed to the outside, could sort of count as outside.

I like very much the idea of the really cold house. The soundstage houses are notoriously cold to begin with; add some dry ice and and some scary 30 Days of Night type vamps and I am totally there.

Mae

ps

Dungeon of Terror

Hell's Kitchen

Dark Torment

Nightmare Creatures

Screamhouse Revisited

Ghost Town

Castle Vampyr

All Night Die-In: Take 2

Psychoscarepy: Home for the Holidays

Dead Silence

Nightmare on Elm Street

Body Collectors: Collections of the Past

Scary Tales: Once Upon a Nightmare

The Hallow

Creatures!

Dead Exposure

The Wolfman

Dracula: Legacy in Blood

Frankenstein: Creation of the Damned

Horror Nights: Hallow'd Past

Zombiegeddon

Houses with true outdoor elements would be much better if the stuff in that scene (makeup, props, effects, etc.) wouldn't be affected by rain and high winds. As I've discovered several times, inclement weather can make some parts of the event MUCH better (like "taking shelter" at Camp Crystal Lake from the rain) when it doesn't force them to close up shop. I think Vampyr in 2007 would have been pretty damn intense if it was in the middle of a hurricane and everything still ran!

Yeah, the Cold house, I mentioned it in the Vault like around 2009 I think, I wish they did it because like Mr.Timeout said more psychological scares could be really good, specially because when is cold your at the edge

I think, An ALONE type house, with aliens, and in the Snow/cold

and you have to go by yourself,

that would really scare me, or even if is not aliens but a house in the snow in the style of ALONE, that would be pretty freaky

I know Universal has been impressing upon us that this will be a farewell year for many icons and traditions, and I really do hope that they stick to their guns on it. I'm all for starting fresh and wouldn't mind if Jack, the Caretaker, the Usher, the Storyteller, and the Director were put into storage for a good while. Even under-utilized icons like Mary, Eddie, Cindy, Darkness, Terra Queen, etc. should probably ake a break for now. Again, love'em all, but seeing new characters will be more exciting.

Old franchises and houses need to be concluded too. No more Psychoscareapy, Body Collectors, All Nite Die-In, Treaks, Chainsaw Drill Team, etc. Don't bring back Midway of the Bizarre, Deadtropolis, or whatever favorites fans may have.

Looking at HHNXX, there are some interesting ideas that could develop more in future years. The most obvious new franchise would most likely be the continuing story of Z-Day from Zombiegeddon and Zombie Gras. I don't immediately recall HHN having a reaccuring zombie franchise, and it seems you could imagine some good houses or zones from seeing how Z-Day has affected various parts of the country.

I'd love to see Havoc's Dogs of War take it to the streets. Give'em a scarezone!

The New Yorkshire setting from Saws 'n Steam seems like a ripe idea too. I'm not really a fan of steampunk, but making a house out of that theme could be cool.

Legendary Truth could be a neat franchise too. Not saying there will be constant haunted houses, but maybe the houses can take place in different investigations exploring bizarre phenomenon (UFOs, cryptozoology, etc.) Very X-Files like.

I don't mind houses like Die In, the i-con house 19 ripped from the silver sceen was a fun house some movies will not be enough to make a house, but have a scene out of several houes if done well are enjoyable to me. the best years have been when there is one theme like 15 were the house and streets work on each other. the first year body collectors was the best version of the body collector franchise. having a couple of movie houses is enjoyable too, and evaen better if it fits the theme like Doomsday, and one of my favorite houses Dead Silence.

Jim

I know Universal has been impressing upon us that this will be a farewell year for many icons and traditions, and I really do hope that they stick to their guns on it. I'm all for starting fresh and wouldn't mind if Jack, the Caretaker, the Usher, the Storyteller, and the Director were put into storage for a good while. Even under-utilized icons like Mary, Eddie, Cindy, Darkness, Terra Queen, etc. should probably ake a break for now. Again, love'em all, but seeing new characters will be more exciting.

Old franchises and houses need to be concluded too. No more Psychoscareapy, Body Collectors, All Nite Die-In, Treaks, Chainsaw Drill Team, etc. Don't bring back Midway of the Bizarre, Deadtropolis, or whatever favorites fans may have.

Looking at HHNXX, there are some interesting ideas that could develop more in future years. The most obvious new franchise would most likely be the continuing story of Z-Day from Zombiegeddon and Zombie Gras. I don't immediately recall HHN having a reaccuring zombie franchise, and it seems you could imagine some good houses or zones from seeing how Z-Day has affected various parts of the country.

I'd love to see Havoc's Dogs of War take it to the streets. Give'em a scarezone!

The New Yorkshire setting from Saws 'n Steam seems like a ripe idea too. I'm not really a fan of steampunk, but making a house out of that theme could be cool.

Legendary Truth could be a neat franchise too. Not saying there will be constant haunted houses, but maybe the houses can take place in different investigations exploring bizarre phenomenon (UFOs, cryptozoology, etc.) Very X-Files like.

Houses with true outdoor elements would be much better if the stuff in that scene (makeup, props, effects, etc.) wouldn't be affected by rain and high winds. As I've discovered several times, inclement weather can make some parts of the event MUCH better (like "taking shelter" at Camp Crystal Lake from the rain) when it doesn't force them to close up shop. I think Vampyr in 2007 would have been pretty damn intense if it was in the middle of a hurricane and everything still ran!

Evilution back at HHN 2002 was an outside style house and I would agree with what you say about it having certain outdoor elements for scares. I really liked this house and it would be nice to see another one like it in the future...:)

Actually a really good scarezone would suffice, not the photo opps types of late. They should have one type of show/photo opp to satisfy the

camera hounds, and get up close with the scarectors. Then unleash pure terror in the streets, remember fright yard, that was one of the best scare zones.

When you enter it , it kinda felt like a going thru maze. The props, scareactors, sound affects they all came together perfectly, you was in a city that was under

siege, loved that flame thrower. Scarezones have seem to me gone a little blan recently, or I am just getting used to them, they are good enough to scare

teenage girls ,which seems to be their primary target. I figure that the large crowds has a lot to do with can be done in the streets but it could be stepped up

a bit.

Fright Yard was the one year I missed >.<

But I've heard everyone liked it and I saw the pics. It would be good to see a sz/house hybrid where it is a scare zone but it is blocked off from the rest of the streets and you have to keep moving through like a house. that would satisfy the "outside house" camp and the "no photo-op" camp at the same time.

Fright Yard was the one year I missed >.<

But I've heard everyone liked it and I saw the pics. It would be good to see a sz/house hybrid where it is a scare zone but it is blocked off from the rest of the streets and you have to keep moving through like a house. that would satisfy the "outside house" camp and the "no photo-op" camp at the same time.

And it's a damn shame that you did miss it, it was fantastic! Of course, it had flamethrowers, chainsaws and Rob Zombie playing at high decibles, so what wouldn't I like about it?

I found that year to be chock full of amazing creativity and it was unmatched in my mind until 2008. The outside areas were heavily utilized, not just by the 'crossover' scarezones, but the Midway of the Bizarre was actually the parade. The zone would close down about a half-hour before the parade started, there would be a little pre-show, an explosion and then the lights would come up on the floats as they rolled out of the Boneyard. We were in it twice and viewed/video taped once and it was a huge spectacle. If they never have Halloween parades again, I could live with that year's being the last and best.

I do still wish for some sort of parade making a return, but I believe it is in vain. The layout of the park has changed, as has the level of attendance. Can you imagine trying to corral the crowds on recent peak nights to the sidewalks? Oy, what a mess! (And don't bring up Disney and their parades...there is a whole world of difference, from atmosphere, family attendence, and sales of alcohol to just the capacity of the streets between the two parks.)

Mae

What I "want" to see:

Elements of Shadycreek having returned in some way. Creating a military contractor as a IP for the event was genius, but only if they take advantage of the riskier ideas they could take it. The development of new, unauthorized interrogation techniques could serve as a house (a la Hostile Territory) or a training camp for extreme combat (like SERE training... only death is common). The Dogs of War don't necessarily have to be there, although it would be incredibly easy to "unleash" them in the streets. From a more creative aspect, I would love to see them return as the "roving" scare team. Give them a military transport vehicle to enter their area in, let them unload, scare for a set, then load back up and roll out.

The Plague doctors should come back, and most likely will. I stated the first time I saw the costume that they were the "new" Body Collectors, and I still stand by it (especially with the success of the house). That said, I think it's likely that A&D would go deeper into the the Catacombs if they were to do another house, which would disappoint me. I would rather see either Catacombs: 2 the Streets, where the Plague Doctors escape and infect the town of Cary, France and then begin attempting to cure themselves (I want to see a self-flangellator), or Catacombs: Quarantine, where a disease control organization comes into the Catacombs to stop the plague (which would essentially pit medieval-era plague doctors versus modern-era plague doctors). If Universal was smart, they would use that idea, and overlay it over the recent build (with some slight changes).

I would love to see the Legendary Truth franchise return in a more visually-compelling capacity (Pagoda with samurai ghost, please).

I want to see Universal go a different direction regarding their source material. An event devoted to Edgar Allen Poe could be fascinating and different. Looking at true life as a resource (as they did with the Black Plague) would allow them to venture into a darker side of the psyche which could be amazing.

From a more logistical side, it was nice to see the scarezones spreading out a bit more this year (so they weren't all on the front side of the park) but more can still be done. Put a scarezone where there are no "sidewalks" (World Expo) to freak guests who rely on the safe-zone out. There would still be a boundary that only the scareactors would know.

I would also like to see less reliance on loud AATs and more use of motion and visual cues to get scares. I didn't have trigger in my boo-hole, and so I had to use motion and character to startle and intimidate. A trigger that would have simply lit me up to draw attention would have helped scare a lot of people who had no idea I was right next to them. One scare in the Orfanage had a "fire" lighting effect that I loved. I want to see more of that.

Similarly, Catacombs had a ton of "double-hole" scares that allowed the scareactors to be creative in where they came from. I loved it as a scareactor, especially in how I was able to "follow" guest for a few steps. I know it was effective to the people who went through the house multiple times, and I want to see all the houses incorporate that build design in it's scares.

No more drop-down boo-holes in the middle of walls. They're cheap and rarely fit the theme of a house.

That's all for now.