NightlifeMike's HHN XX (2010) Review

Karras

Halloween Horror Nights XX Twenty Years of Fear – Opening Night Review

Houses

Legendary Truth: The Wyandot Estate

With Halloween Horror Nights being called “The Nations Premiere Halloween Event”, this is the house that best represents that slogan. Pretty much every room I was impressed. There’s one particular room that literally scared the shit out of me. Scareactors in this house are 50/50. Some needed to amp it up while others knew exactly how to execute their scene. The two weakest things about this house are staffing and length.

Scare Level B+

Atmosphere A+

The Orfanage: Ashes to Ashes

We were the first guests to enter this house and this was also our last house of the night. Both runs the scares were non-existent. I was into the story and there’s one room that was very eerie. Overall failed to deliver.

Scare Level D-

Atmosphere C

Zombiegeddon

Do not do this house in the day time. My only run through this house was when the park first opened and I could literally see everything. Scareactors would lunge at us but we could see them coming from a mile away. However the concept and detail of this house is awesome. I was highly entertained throughout.

Scare Level C

Atmosphere B+

Horror Nights: A Hallow’d Past

Basically Hallow’d Past is an eyegasim for Horror Nights fans. There is so much to look at it requires multiple runs to catch it all. Some points of this house are too well lit. All the scares went to the family in front of us but the scareactors I did see looked lively. Can’t wait for another run through.

Scare Level B-

Atmosphere A-

Hades: The Gates of Ruin

This house has so much potential. Fantastic sets, music and costumes. Fresh concept. But the scares were few and far between. I don’t know if this house isn’t staffed well or if were in between scares but it was vacant. To be far, I did get my scare of the night by Medusa. But I think it’s just because I was caught off guard by how little of scareactors I saw. I’m dying for another run.

Scare Level C

Atmosphere A

Catacombs: Black Death Rising *House of the Night*

Easily the best house of the night. A tent house? Who knew? Both times through the scareactors were on point. Even if you saw the scareactor scare someone else they would still come after you. Atmosphere, story and costumes are top notch.

Scare Level A+

Atmosphere A+

Havoc: Dogs of War

It’s been said before but I’ll say it again. This house feels very repetitive. Most of the rooms and halls feel similar. Plus it feels like the exact same layout of Dead Exposure and The Spawning. Scareactors were giving it their all but this wont be a house I will think back on in a few years.

Scare Level C

Atmosphere C-

Psychoscareapy: Echoes of Shadybrook

It goes without saying I’m a Pyschoscareapy fan. I’ve had some of my best Horror Nights moments walking through the halls of Shadybrook. Obviously I’m bias. The story alone made me a happy camper. Instead of the Asylum having a ‘lively bat shit crazy vibe’ it felt very cold and dark. The scareactors were solid but could have hidden a little better. Once they find their flow I’m sure this house will be fantastic.

Scare Level B-

Atmosphere A-

Scarezones

20 Years of Year

I’m a big fan of claustrophobic zones. Which is something I miss over at Islands. Classic detailed zone filled with actors.

Esqueleto Muerte

Trippy. Fun. The actors were targeting people well but they just need to hide. Try a little scaring and not staring

The Coven

Cool concept. Solid actors.

Saws n’ Steam *Scarezone of the Night*

Short but classic. Scareactors are fantastic and in your face. Steampunk vide is always cool and the mini show is a nice touch.

Fear Revealed

Pure photo-op zone. But definitely cool. I really hope this isn’t the only place we are going to see Fear. Throw him in a house or something.

Zombie Gras

Weakest zone. Lots of zombies but no bite.

Shows

Bill and Ted’s Excellent Halloween Adventure

Garbage. See once then avoid at all costs. Or don’t see it at all and hit up a few houses.

Pros +

+ Great scarezones.

+ Tons of fog throughout the entire event. Did Universal buy a fog company?

+ Houses have great stories/concepts…

Cons –

- Bill & Ted

- Houses are understaffed and have very weak endings. Who hid all the strobes?

- This is the 20th Anniversary of Horror Nights? Overall story/theme feels like a mishmash.

Final Thought

While I am disappointed with this year I'm definitly stoked to go back. I’ve heard after tonight there’s been an improvement with the houses.

Edited by NightlifeMike

I heard that they may be adding stuff to some of the houses, yeah. Effects and Lighting, nothing you'd notice too much. Just today they added water dripping in the Stygian Witch cave in Hades. A lot of folks seem annoyed by that though. It would be more better to have a bit of fog in there in my opinion.

I heard that they may be adding stuff to some of the houses, yeah. Effects and Lighting, nothing you'd notice too much. Just today they added water dripping in the Stygian Witch cave in Hades. A lot of folks seem annoyed by that though. It would be more better to have a bit of fog in there in my opinion.

I noticed the water tonight, but I wasn't sure if I had just somehow missed it Friday night. I was not annoying by it, though. As a matter of fact, it gave one of the actors a great opening as I tried to dry off my face.

Just sticking up for Zombiegeddon....it is my house and all...

I dont think thats a fair review. Disaster and Jaws houses you CANNOT go through during the day unless you want to just see detail on the sets. You go through the soundstages and tents first because their lighting is the same throughout the event. Ours and Jaws is at the mercy of Mother Nature. So no wonder you saw the scareactors from a mile away. I'll give my spot just as many scares in the day as I do at night, cuz no body looks my way until I make my move.

As for the lighting...nothing can be done about that. So please tell me you have or you are going through again...but this time after dark.

Like I said...just sticking up for my house

Havoc: Dogs of War

It’s been said before but I’ll say it again. This house feels very repetitive. Most of the rooms and halls feel similar. Plus it feels like the exact same layout of Dead Exposure and The Spawning. Scareactors were giving it their all but this wont be a house I will think back on in a few years.

Scare Level C

Atmosphere C-

;)

We in Fear Revealed try our damndest to scare people, but it isn't always easy because of our sets, and even the people who have no freaking clue who we are want pictures. And you know what, if you don't know who I am, I will NOT take a picture with you. I've been getting decent scares, and I've found my knife really freaks people out because it's real.

I dont think thats a fair review. Disaster and Jaws houses you CANNOT go through during the day unless you want to just see detail on the sets. You go through the soundstages and tents first because their lighting is the same throughout the event. Ours and Jaws is at the mercy of Mother Nature. So no wonder you saw the scareactors from a mile away. I'll give my spot just as many scares in the day as I do at night, cuz no body looks my way until I make my move.

As for the lighting...nothing can be done about that. So please tell me you have or you are going through again...but this time after dark.

I understand sticking up for your house, but the tent houses do not have the same lighting throughout the event. Mother Nature affects our houses as much as it does yours.

But I agree, do the soundstage houses if it's daylight outside.

To the reviewer, I'm happy you enjoyed my house enough for it to be your top house of the night. :)

I understand sticking up for your house, but the tent houses do not have the same lighting throughout the event. Mother Nature affects our houses as much as it does yours.

But I agree, do the soundstage houses if it's daylight outside.

To the reviewer, I'm happy you enjoyed my house enough for it to be your top house of the night. :)

I had no idea the tents were affected by the light too. I stand corrected. Honestly I can't say I'd been through a tent house during day light and never worked a tent before. Parade building I have and I know that 1st and last room are affected too.

Now I cant wait to see your house. I do have a handful of cast from last year (including my room partner) all in cast A. I'll be coming through on the 2nd

this is so true i learned that 1 year so i always leave it for the night

Edited by dante

I think you need to read the review a little bit closer. But I will say there have been houses in the Disaster Queue before (Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Run: HT...) that I did venture into during the day and it was still pretty dark in there. Zombiegeddon is the most lit up I've seen the venue. I really enjoyed your house and the scares are there but I'm not blaming it on you or any scareactor. I just know for future runs to hit it at night.

;)

Umm yeah... right back at ya.

Edited by NightlifeMike

:lol:

I take it you didn't catch the new words that had been bolded in what I quoted.

The color scheme with this board's skin does make it hard to discern when something is bold sometimes, but I totally laughed when I went back and read what you mentioned.

I definitely agree with you, though, Mike. I cannot wait to go back next weekend. Should be awesome to see what the scareactors have in store for round two!

• 2 weeks later...

The night of Sunday October 3rd at Horror Nights was exactly what I needed. When I left opening night I felt cheated and disappointed. The event really didn’t feel like the definitive 20th Anniversary to Horror Nights. I guess I just hyped it up so much over the years that nothing would have pleased my expectations. My second night a prepared myself going in to take the event as it is. I'm happy I got to meet some fellow HNN members throughout the night. Two of them I didn't catch a name but I got to meet Mark (_mz) who is offically the person I see most walking around the event and Jake (Jakemeister).

Houses

Horror Nights: The Hallow’d Past – 3 Runs

Not to sound redundant but multiple runs through this house is required for any HHN geek. My first run through this weekend was fantastic. I still didn’t catch all the props but the scareactors devoured my group. In EVERY room we got targeted multiple times. Jack, Eddie and the Caretaker paid extra attention to me in the finale. My second run of the night I got to take in more of the warehouse and started prepping myself to say goodbye to these Icons/moments from the past. My two problems with this house are length (should be longer) and missed opportunities with classic Horror Nights moments.

BEST SCENE: Finale

4 out of 5

The Orfanage: Ashes to Ashes – 3 Runs

It’s sad. Cool concept but the house is riddled with dead spots and sleeping scareactors. I’ll walk through rooms and not see anyone. Or I’ll walk through and see actors literally standing there looking at me. PLEASE do something. Anything! I try to get into the mood of the house but I find myself bored. There are a few decent moments but not enough fill this vacant house.

BEST SCENE: Floating girl

1 out of 5

Hades: The Gates of Ruin – 3 Runs

Excellent! I’m so happy this house turned out to be something special. First night this house was vacant. I figured this was either due to staffing or scareactors getting a feel for their bad ass costumes. Thanks to the A&D gods this house was alive Sunday night. It almost felt like I was walking through a completely different house. Lighting, music, scares and sound were all blended perfectly. A contender for house of the year.

BEST SCENE: Medusas Lair

5 out of 5

Zombiegeddon – 2 Runs

Highly entertaining house. Some of the best scareactors of the event can be found right here. No two Zombies are the same and the actors bring it. The first half of this house is pure exposition. Which sadly is a good portion of the house. I understand the fact that these Zombies are locked up and being used for training. By the time the second act kicks in and the Zombies break out it’s too late. House over. I just wish the breakout would happen sooner. Still a great house.

BEST SCENE: Finale (final 2 rooms)

3 out of 5

Legendary Truth: The Wyandot Estate – 4 Runs

My first run of this on Sunday was the best this house has been. I only wish I knew what cast I got. Every scareactor knew exactly what they needed to do. Very intense and in your face. My group got to see every scene take place. Two main issues with this house are inconsistency and features the weakest ending of the whole event. Won’t win house of the year but still memorable.

BEST SCENE: Bedroom

4 out of 5

Catacombs: Black Death Rising *House of the Year (so far)* - 4 Runs

Classic Horror Nights house from start to finish. Both casts are filled with pros and will change on a dime to scare you if need be. They make their costumes even more chilling then they already are. The set design and story are consistently in the forefront. I don't think a Horror Nights house has ever made me go home and do research. Do not miss.

BEST SCENE: Strobe/Tarp hall

5 out of 5

PsychoScareapy: Echoes of Shadybrook – 3 Runs

This house starts strong. The façade and first few rooms are haunting. As the house comes to the end it treads too much on what Scareapy has established without bringing anything new to the table or leaving a lasting impression. The story/concept is awesome but it leaves a lot to be desired. The scareactors definitely need to turn it up a bit. If that happens this house would easily get a 4. It’s no Maximum Madness but it gets the job done.

BEST SCENE: Hall of fists

3 out of 5

Havoc: Dogs of War – 2 Runs

This house reminds me a lot of Doomsday (2008). Not a very special concept/story but the actors are absolutely bug nuts. My group received multiple scares. Most of the scares I received were from women. Major props to you all. Not all that memorable but gets the job done for the time being.

BEST SCENE: Destroyed computer room.

2 out of 5

House Ranks

1. Catacombs: Black Death Rising

2. Hades: The Gates of Ruin

3. Horror Nights: A Hallow’d Past

4. Legendary Truth: The Wyandot Estate

5. PsychoScareapy: Echoes of Shadybrook

6. Zombiegeddon

7. Havoc: Dogs of War

8. The Orfanage: Ashes to Ashes

Scarezones

Unfortunatly the attention to detail this year goes to the scarezones. For most of you this is a good

thing. I go to Horror Nights for the houses. The scarezones (while required) are an added bonus for me. Here

they are ranked.

Scarezone Ranks

1. Saws n’ Steam

2. 20 Years of Fear

3. The Coven

4. Esqueleto Muerte

5. Fear Revealed

6. Zombie Gras

While they are ranked there isn’t a single bad scarezone this year.

Some pics from the night.

IMG_3275.jpg

IMG_3209.jpg

IMG_3208.jpg

IMG_3222.jpg

IMG_3239.jpg

IMG_3249.jpg

Edited by NightlifeMike

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going saturday but I can tell you a peeve before even being there from what I've seen and heard thus far- am I the only one who doesn't like that Fear Revealed is a giant photo-op? It wastes a great scarezone to have Jack, Caretaker, etc just posing for pictures with everyone all night and never getting to do much. I kind of feel like cameras just need to be put away for the whole event and just enjoy yourself, but if you taking your pictures steals from the experience for everyone else, it kind of ruins it, no?

• 3 weeks later...

My final thoughts on the event.

Halloween Horror Nights XX has come to a close (for me). I liked this year, didn't love it. The mishmash of ideas and quality of houses is what killed the event for me. Two to three houses would provide a good run per night and the rest were nothing special. Legendary Truth started strong but as the event went on it fell farther down my house list. It's the one house this year that I literally know every spot. Obviously the scarezone shined this year. Each zone was pretty diverse and was crawling with scareactors who were almost always on their A game. Fear is extremely lame. I would definitly have a change of heart if they would just throw him in a house. Maybe in Hades on the throne? Somewhere, it's not that hard.

House List

1. Catacombs (House of the Year)

2. Hades: The Gates of Ruin

3. Horror Nights: The Hallow'd Past

4. Pyschoscareapy: Echoes of Shadybrook

5. Legendary Truth: The Wyandot Estate

6. Zombiegeddon

7. Havoc: Dogs of War

8. The Crapanage: Ashes to Toilets

Scarezones

1. Saws N' Steam (Street of the Year)

2. 20 Years of Fear

3. The Coven

4. Esqueleto Muerte

5. Fear Revelead

6. Zombie Gras

Year Rank

1. 13

2. Reflections of Fear

3. Islands of Fear

4. Ripped from the Silver Screen

5. Sweet 16

6. Twenty Years of Fear

7. XIV

8. Carnival of Carnage

9. Tales of Terror

That is all for now. Time to take a break from all things Horror Nights. See you all in April.

For the recond. I think this year would have been much better...

^that right there my friends, would have been a kickass theme for this year.

and i have to disagree on your take on "the crapanage", i thoroughly loved this house. it had the scares, the atmosphere, the music, EVERYTHING!! i think you had the crappy cast, or went through on a shift change, and i feel sorry for you then, cuxz this house blew me away.

^that right there my friends, would have been a kickass theme for this year.

and i have to disagree on your take on "the crapanage", i thoroughly loved this house. it had the scares, the atmosphere, the music, EVERYTHING!! i think you had the crappy cast, or went through on a shift change, and i feel sorry for you then, cuxz this house blew me away.

No. I went through the house 6 times during the coarse of the event and every run was complete garbage. Scareactors weren't trying and when they did it was a pretty sad attempt. The house definitely had atmosphere but if the "actors" inside don't sell the theme the house falls apart.