HHN 2010: Nightmare on Elm Street: Never Sleep Again

Hobbz

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowing this is the Shrek Venue gives us some idea. I'm assuming the final scare is in the final room.

The final final scare is while you're exiting that room.

And then of course, the final final final scare is that hallway out of the building where Freddy comes out of a curtain to hide away Shrek.

Oh that's right, I forgot they had it set up like that. The final final final scare always gets me.

Curiosity got the best of me and... I ended up watching the walk through (keeping HOTC and F13 a surprise until I go though!) and I have to say, being the BIGGEST doubter of this maze... I feel I had every right to doubt it. Granted, a video and being there are two completely different things but this maze was so boring and quick. I felt like there wasn't even much environmentally to look at. The new make up is not scary, in fact, it looks down right ridiculous. I can't help but scratch my head as to why they even did this maze to begin with still. I'll still go through it in person because the experience should be monumentally different (which I'm not giving Vampyre the benefit of the doubt it will) and I look forward to it still but the video was certainly lacking all the things that made me love HHN to begin with. And maybe I've been trained to think every HHN maze should have a cornucopias amount of victims and that's probably another factor to why it was so boring to watch (the part I actually dug very much was the hanging bodies... and that's in every maze). I'm hoping the atmosphere will be spine tingling to be in but right now, my stance still stands about this maze and I can't help but feel that I was right all along. :(

Edited by DTH316

Between watching the night vision-ized video of this maze versus actually being there are totally separate things. I enjoyed this maze, although I was too busy just wandering around to actually get around to going in it more.. although I think my reason for not going in a lot is a little understandable, there were always too many standstills in this maze to stand. I liked the set design, and some of the scareactors placed throughout the maze although sometimes some just kinda stood there (Kris) and didn't do anything until after being stared at for a while. The Freddys did a good job trying to work with the conditions they had before them. An average maze, the use of the scrim effect worked out pretty well...

Although what I loved the most in this maze? The statue girl. Having to hold a pose for a while takes a bit, and I applaud her for what she did.

Times Visited: 2

This was the last maze of the night, as well as for a lot of people. So we "conga-lined" it the last half of the maze. I only encountered a micro nap once and it was not scary. Idk how many micro naps are supposed to be in here. Because we conga lined thru it was very scary, def going thru again when I go back. But funny enough the Freddy's look exactly like the movie (as some posters like to call him 'burnt hamster). And the final scare is pretty cool, just didnt scare me.

This was the last maze of the night, as well as for a lot of people. So we "conga-lined" it the last half of the maze. I only encountered a micro nap once and it was not scary. Idk how many micro naps are supposed to be in here. Because we conga lined thru it was very scary, def going thru again when I go back. But funny enough the Freddy's look exactly like the movie (as some posters like to call him 'burnt hamster). And the final scare is pretty cool, just didnt scare me.

HAHA the final scare made my heart drop LOL because i wasn't suspecting that. Also i almost fell running at the very end.

HAHA the final scare made my heart drop LOL because i wasn't suspecting that. Also i almost fell running at the very end.

I think its because I saw him walking back to his spot, and I was like "Oh thats what theyre talking about!" LOL Cant wait to give this maze another shot, I really want to see these micro naps WITHOUT conga lining thru this maze.

NOES: Never Sleep Again - Rating: 4.8 out of 5

This was my first maze of the night, and WOW this maze was AMAZING ! I never found Freddy Krueger scary, but this maze changed my mind... We were the first ones in this maze and it had such detailed environments. The scare actors in this maze were perfect (Freddy masks looked great), creating some very memorable moments. The micro naps exceeded my expectations, and having no victims in this maze actually turned out quite well. We went on this maze 3 times, and geez I loved it more and more each time. It actually was scarier than the Friday the 13th maze, and Jason in my opinion is more intimidating, so that says a lot about this maze. Overall this was #2 of the night.

Oh and the final scare was okay, but the final final scare, and final final final scare definitely made up for it ;) Hahaha

Edited by force2294

From my blog:

I felt a little apprehension going into this maze because of one simple fact, I was not a fan of the newest Elm Street movie. However, I had to remind myself of one of my Haunted House rules. Just because you don't like or know a character/movie, doesn't mean it can't scare the crap out of you. So did the maze help me to forget about the movie or did the movies problems carry over here?

The sets in here were just as good as any of the previous mazes, though I was concerned that this newer one would lack some of the creative kills and scares that the previous one had. My concerns were some what lessened though when it was announced that they were going to try and incorporate the feeling of suffering from Micro-Naps, the sensation of not knowing whether you're dreaming or not. This effect was used extremely well, providing for not only some very cool visual moments, but for some excellent scares. One in particular that I loved was the Bathroom scene in which it appears Freddy is staring at you through a mirror. It's a very impressive moment because you also have two other scares going on at the same time. You have three things going at once and you're not quite sure where the "big" scare is going to come from. Which is something this maze does really well, there's always a few distractions going on to keep you off balanced.

The victims really don't seem to do much though, serving to just creep you out as they sit there and stare at you or beg for help. Most of the heavy lifting is done by Freddy himself in this maze as opposed to Jason's where it seems to be a shared effort.

While I wasn't a big fan of Freddy's make over (which is utilized in this attraction) it's really not much of a factor since when he attacks you, he usually comes in so quick and so violently that you don't have time to admire this fact.

The environments are really well done and feel like they're ripped straight from the movie. Two prime examples of this are the boiler room scene and the bedroom that's besieged by snowfall. Entering these areas really feels like you're being transported, you forget that you're in a maze that was built over a matter of weeks and feel like you're entering places that are real and have weight to them.

The only true downside to this maze is that it felt like it was building up to an amazing conclusion, but what we got really didn't seem to be a big pay off. It was cool, but definitely was not the big scare that I thought it would be. However, the final final scare usually gets you and you'll probably laugh your ass off about it.

Overall whether you loved or hated the movie, this maze will not fail to please it's audience.

Edited by Halloween Blues

My review for "Nightmare on Elm Street: Never Do This Theme Again" is pretty much identical to F13:

Was it new? For the most part.

Was it good? So-so

Did it have to involve Freddy yet again? NO

I remember tweeting John Murdy when they announced they were dragging Freddy out for the 4th freaking year in a row.

He tweeted back: #1 requested property in all the surveys we did with our gyests last year during the event.

Now, I found that pretty interesting, as I took one of the surveys. My survey asked: Which maze was was your favorite this year? (I chose My Bloody Valentine). The survey did NOT ask: Which maze would you like to see return in 2010? So, just because a maze was voted #1, does that mean it automatically returns? Hmmm...I guess F13 was #2 because they dragged Jason's sorry ass back.

There were elements of this maze that worked beautifully. I thought both scrim effects were outstanding...but couldn't they have worked for any theme? Did it need to be Freddy? As I wandered through the pre-school, and then later the school room, it really became apparent that this maze could have been easily (and effectively) re-themed as a haunted or twisted school (as Orlando did in 2005), or an orphanage (as Orlando is doing this year). Freddy was just...unnecessary.

Come on, John, you can do it. Take Freddy out to the shed and put him down. I'm sure you've got some original ideas trapped in the noggin. It shouldn't take Freddy, Jason, Jigsaw, or Chucky to get them out.

Edited by zombieman

I particularly like the air conditioned goodness of Nancy's bedroom, so very nice and chilly.

Hopefully we'll see the scrim effects in later mazes, though. I really liked how they were put together.

Still didn't like the delays in the maze though, I almost felt like the Freddys in their booholes were probably just wanting the line to move forward so they don't look stupid popping out at the same people over and over again. I'd probably think that anyway..

This maze was weak for me because the line kept clogging up inside, it actually pissed me off alot so I didnt pay too much attention to the scares.

I also experienced one of those kids who yell "thats retarded" "thats not scary!" "you suck!" etc. That completely ruined the maze for me.

So that kept me distracted from enjoying the maze, I wished i could go again, but my friends didnt want to, the line was prettty long at the time.

I can't really give it a real rating because I wasn't paying too much attention but from what I saw, its a solid

7/10, maybe it could get a better rating if I paid more attention, but yknow, those 13 year old brats ruin all the fun.

My review for "Nightmare on Elm Street: Never Do This Theme Again" is pretty much identical to F13:

Was it new? For the most part.

Was it good? So-so

Did it have to involve Freddy yet again? NO

I remember tweeting John Murdy when they announced they were dragging Freddy out for the 4th freaking year in a row.

He tweeted back: #1 requested property in all the surveys we did with our gyests last year during the event.

Now, I found that pretty interesting, as I took one of the surveys. My survey asked: Which maze was was your favorite this year? (I chose My Bloody Valentine). The survey did NOT ask: Which maze would you like to see return in 2010? So, just because a maze was voted #1, does that mean it automatically returns? Hmmm...I guess F13 was #2 because they dragged Jason's sorry ass back.

There were elements of this maze that worked beautifully. I thought both scrim effects were outstanding...but couldn't they have worked for any theme? Did it need to be Freddy? As I wandered through the pre-school, and then later the school room, it really became apparent that this maze could have been easily (and effectively) re-themed as a haunted or twisted school (as Orlando did in 2005), or an orphanage (as Orlando is doing this year). Freddy was just...unnecessary.

Come on, John, you can do it. Take Freddy out to the shed and put him down. I'm sure you've got some original ideas trapped in the noggin. It shouldn't take Freddy, Jason, Jigsaw, or Chucky to get them out.

I took a survey last year and it did ask about returning franchises and freddy (there were two different version I think) but I coulding say no hard enough

I particularly like the air conditioned goodness of Nancy's bedroom, so very nice and chilly.

I like the condition goodness of nancy.............................JK

moving on it sounds like this will be a promising maze (Murdy Im not saying bring this back) cant wait to go in it (See earlier satement Murdy) so it looks like this has the same problem as Halloween last year

This was the first maze of the night for us and ranked number 2 out of the 5 mazes at HHN. The micro naps were really cool to see and the freddy masks looked pretty good (better than 07 and 08's freddy masks that looked too generic). Good scares and great enviorments, I really thought i was going to be disappointed in this maze at first but glad i was proven wrong.

A Nightmare on Elm Street: Apparently We Just Can't Get Enough of Freddy

So this was another very enjoyable house this year. This was my favorite house as far as effects go. I loved the scrim effects, the transformation of the classroom at the beginning, and the cold, snowy Nancy's room. Lots of great effects and decent scares (but not as scary as F13, if you ask me). Oh, and I loved the hallway with Freddy pushing out from the walls. So awesome. The new Freddy masks were good, but I noticed that they didn't seem to be closed from behind so there were flaps back there just hanging out. Seemed to ruin the illusion quite a bit.

Overall, a solid house that made up it's lack of originality with some very cool new effects.

3.75/5

BTW- did anyone else notice that every house this year seems to have a "bodybag" room? It's a great tool but, wow, they're getting all the mileage they can out of it.

I was one of the biggest skeptics on this board of the new A Nightmare on Elm Street maze based off of the shitty remake that was released earlier this year. Well... I was wrong. This maze was great and I even did it twice. While it lacked the visual ingenuity of the previous Freddy maze, Home Sweet Hell, Never Sleep Again was a genuinely creepy maze with some simple effects utilized very well. The scareactors were great in this one, with every Freddy being aggressive and very in your face. The girls in the body bags played their roles well and even scared one of my friends who thought she was a prop. She must have been pretty amused because she stared him down the rest of the room. Also of note was the statue who was very good at staying very still. I loved the cold room and the hallway with the scareactors reaching through the walls at you. The final scare had a bit of a surprise factor, but I don't find actors on stilts to be very scary. You may notice I'm not being as critical of this one as I was the House of 1000 Corpses maze. Simply put, this was much better than it had any right being and actually got me to take remake freddy seriously, albeit for about 5 minutes. That, and comparing it to the remake is pointless to me because I really don't give a shit how accurate it was.

Overall, while not my favorite Nightmare on Elm Street maze (that title going to 2008's Home Sweet Hell), it was definitely scarier and lots of fun.

B+

Yet more trolling occurred in this maze, as both times jackasses couldn't help but press back against the walls against the actors, the second time the douchebag even punched the walls, seemingly pretty hard. He also tried to open every single door. What he would have done had he opened them I'm not sure.

Edited by 00nightcrawler