Pet Peeves about Horror Nights  

124 members have voted

1. 1. What is your biggest Pet Peeve about Halloween Horror Nights?

• People who scream at every little thing even when there not scared or no-ones around
    • People who bring there underage kids along ( younger then the age limit specified by universal)
    • Long lines
    • Lack of scares from the scare-actors
    • Mazes aren't dark enough
    • Mazes aren't long enough
    • All of the above

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

-guests who try to scare other guests or even worse, the scareactors. there is a reason you are not getting paid to do that job.

-guests who point out the scareactors to other guests. it completely ruins the experience.

-guests who constantly are pushing on you to move forward. yes, i understand we are in a conga line. yes, i understand you are scared. that is no excuse to push on someone that you don't have any relation to. if i'm waiting an hour to experience a house, i'm not going to run through it.

Edited by val

--screaming girls who are just screaming to hear themselves.

--people who are right up against me walking through a house. Last year I just stopped and let the idiots go by. They asked me if I was scared and I said no I'm tired of you riding on my back.

--anything light up in a house

--people who take kids little kids.

--drunks who talk crap in the houses, or wherever, to the scareactors.

--idiots in general

--screaming girls who are just screaming to hear themselves.

I believe this has something to do with their mating/courtship rituals.

--people who are right up against me walking through a house. Last year I just stopped and let the idiots go by. They asked me if I was scared and I said no I'm tired of you riding on my back.

You bring up a very good point, I often find young ladies in line behind me attempting to climb me as if I were a jungle gym!

Probably the only time I enjoyed others scaring one another outside of a house was when we were in the lines divided by the green chainlink fences. As they waited in line for the house, they would scare the people on the other side who had just come out and were still freaked out and paranoid. It was fun to watch while we waited. I fell for it quite a few times.

I don't mind the glow swords and light-up stuff too much, I think it adds to the horror/party atmosphere. What gets on my nerves is when an employee tells them to turn the lights off when they enter a house, and they turn them back on 5 seconds later.

I hate seeing little kids there. It makes me so sad. I have two little boys and wouldn't dream of taking them there.

One time there was a little baby in a stroller and a chainsaw guy came and cranked it up right next to the stroller. Poor baby. Imagine being woken up like that.

I get that the chainsaw guy might have been trying to teach the parents a lesson (do not bring your baby), but it's the poor baby that suffers

and it's not his fault his parents are dumb. =o(

Pet peeves as a guest:

The smoking in the lines...blech.

Yeah This one has to be The worst, When people jump in line I'm like, whatever, and rude people, just Ignore them, But smoking, there is nothing you can do about it, I tried to cover my face with my hands or shirt but still smell it, and I get very dizzy from the smell, so when I go into the house is very uncomfortable, because I feel dizzy and I get really sick from the smell,

I seriously think this is the worst of all

You bring up a very good point, I often find young ladies in line behind me attempting to climb me as if I were a jungle gym!

Omg Dr. Jimmy this made me Laugh so Much!

but yeah is a problem, In 2007 I went with a friend, and behind her was this couple, they look like they were 30-35 , then the whole time we were in the Freddy house they kept poking her in the back and pushing her, she kinda got hurt, I was like, a grown 30 year old man hitting a 19 year old girl in the back wtf?

Usually when there are drunk people or annoying people behind me screaming and stuff, sometimes I just have to let them pass, most of the time they think I'm too scared but I don't say anything.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually get annoyed with the group of people I'm with. I tend to move quickly because I only have so many hours to get everything I want done, so I move with purpose. Then I look back and everyone else in my group is lagging behind because they apparently think they have all the time in the world.

This.

I only go once each year, and tend to plan the night out carefully in order to get to each house. Of course, it's a bit difficult getting my girlfriends to get a move on and actually convince them to go into said houses.

But out of the options def parents bringing their small children to the event. Parent of the year candidates, truly!

ok, i have plenty of things which grind my gears @ HHN.

To start, the moronic parents who bring their small children into the park thinking, it's some sort of like a "slightly scary halloween party", but the reality is that this is beyond the fear which is seen in many Disney movies, this is universal meaning that it is bound to be a bit between PG-13 and R. and if you're not careful about bringing them and using common discretion, don't be surprised if you have to spend your savings on therapy bills after your kids end up traumatized due to the blood and gore in HHN.

Second thing are smokers. Not only does it annoy others, but on a blustery day, a puff of smoke can sour everyone else's experience.

The final thing is anything that lights up. Not only does it blind others including scareactors (especially during the day when it leads for a house to be pitch black), but it kills the surprise element. that's why i never bring anything that lights up (including my mouse ears which i often wear for mardi gras)

A pet peeve of mine is when people disrespect the scare actors and talk crap to them. Its so immature. And people bringing kids under the recomended age is annoying. As it is the 12 year olds are annoying enough lol. Oh! And one more pet peeve when someone gets scared in a maze and just stands there screaming, holding up the line.

PREACH! I cannot stand the disrespectful guests and I just flat-out pity the poor children dragged to HHN by their parents/guardians. These children will be afraid of frivolous things like the dark or the "monster in their closet." All fears created by their imagination. Now take them to HHN and it's basically a child's worst nightmare! Major kudos if the child can handle it, but I'm going to automatically assume they're going to take the "monsters chasing their mommy" as actual monsters.

Last year was just.. wow. I remember I saw a mother with her child and this poor girl was so scared and just going ape-shit and screaming her poor little head off. "I wanna go home, mommy!" she screamed at the top of her lungs. "Okay baby, we'll go home!" Her mother was saying this right as they were walking towards the Saw maze.

sleepysmh.gif

As for disrespectful guests, I swear, I would wholly appreciate if HHN had standards for who gets in. Unfortunately, this would be very hard to uphold and enforce. Anyways, some guests are so disrespectful, they will disrespect each other. I was once waiting around and this stupid little 12 year old ragamuffin comes up and tries to scare me by thrusting his head towards me. I quickly backed my head away and just gave him a rude look like:

glarecc.gif

(Pardon the gif overload)

This little Ed Hardy wearing pickney looks back at me laughing and heads back with his friends like he's the shit. *Le sigh*

At least the scareactors are getting paid to scare. You're trying to scare guests to look cool to your idiot friends meanwhile your balls haven't even dropped yet and Justin Bieber sounds more mature than you.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed this, but it drove me nuts last year to see them so picky when you got in about the no masks or horrory makeup rule but the minute you're inside, for 20 bucks you could get your face painted to look like any monster you please in Amity. And it seemed every muscled up drunk guy there with his girlfriend had to have their faces painted so they could pretend they were scareactors and chase down girls. Seriously?

I did have a good experience with the drunks too last year. Some drunk as a skunk lady and her friends in front of us in line for the mummy. She turned to us and started going "I'm like...uh...a kitty. A kitty cat...MEEEOOWW!" and proceeded to turn to us clawing the air and meowing like a cat in heat every few seconds. When we didn't respond, her drunk friend cursed at us and threw her bottle of water at us and all the people in line behind us getting us soaked in the process. At least I hope it was water.

I agree with much of what has already been said. I do have two additional pet peeves that I haven't seen yet -

Countering scares. Basically, a scareactor scares a person, and that person attempts to "counter" it by some phrase (often "You can't touch me!" or "Hello there!", etc.) I understand some people get scared and it becomes a reflex to deal with the fear, but honestly screaming was made for that purpose. If you are genuinely scared by someone I have no qualms whatsoever if you scream your lungs out - but breaking the immersion of The Spawning by yelling "Your costumes are fake, you're not real!" is not cool for me or anyone else in the maze. I often take guests to accompany me on my HHN trips and often I find them guilty of this - after I pick up on it I explain the issue and they typically quit it. I wish others had the same decency.

Now, the above peeve is a guest issue and one that Universal is not capable of dealing with. This one, however, is very in their control...

The damn flashlight crew. I know it's their job to stand in the house and keep an eye on everyone, keeping the line moving. But last year at some point it was ridiculous how disruptive they were to the experience. Instead of standing in a dark corner out of the main line of sight, they were smack dab in the middle of rooms, their appearance alone disrupting the theme (great example is how their black shirts clashed completely with the bright colors of the Chucky finale factory). It cannot possibly be that difficult to stand in the corner of a room - A&D knows what precautions need to be taken during the operation of the event, so design low-key positions for the flashlight crew so that they don't intrude on the show! Also of great annoyance is when the flashlight crew actually gets out little lights and starts waving it around aimlessly & continuously. The flashlight should be used when there is a clear disruption and guests don't know where to go, NOT when it is pitifully obvious and you're just serving as an annoying distraction. Finally, perhaps most annoyingly, often the flashlight crew will constantly bark for people to "keep moving" or to "hurry up". We understand we're not supposed to just stop and stare, we're going to keep moving - only speak when it's necessary! I lost count of all the times I was rudely told to move faster as I was proceeding through the houses. As long as I am walking and keeping up with the group in front of me, there is no reason I should be told to "move faster".

/endrant.

I also don't appreciate it when someone behind me gets scared and tries to go through me to get away!!!! When I was walking through Friday the 13th with a group of cast-mates, these 2 HS aged guys kept getting scared and basically running into me. I kept having to walk faster so that I could get away from them. Unfortunately, I also missed parts of the house by doing this.

Same year, same night we also went through the Leatherface house and had 4 people run into us when we got to the "sheet scene". We were 2 people and we were walking down the middle of the wider section and they apparently couldn't run around us.....

On a non-HHN sidenote: I really dislike the word anyways. It is not really grammatically correct and it just sounds dumb! I was taught by a grammar-natzi English teacher and have kinda become one myself. Since I'm on this tangent, I think people should learn the difference between there, their & they're before they go into message boards and start posting!

There = A place +++ Look over there for the scaractor.

Their = Something that belongs to them +++ They really love their new Leatherface costumes.

They're = They are +++ While they're at HHN they will be waiting in long lines.

I'm done for the moment....

Edited by Tman875

I'm sure I'm not the only one who noticed this, but it drove me nuts last year to see them so picky when you got in about the no masks or horrory makeup rule but the minute you're inside, for 20 bucks you could get your face painted to look like any monster you please in Amity. And it seemed every muscled up drunk guy there with his girlfriend had to have their faces painted so they could pretend they were scareactors and chase down girls. Seriously?

yeah, I was wondering about that before,

also What happens if you paint your own face inside the park? would they make you wash it off or something?

I'v been attending since HHN17 and since that short amount of time I have racked up a large number of pet peeves. My personal two biggest would have to be screamers and clingers. Last year in the Saw house which I had been looking forward to being a fan of the films I was I was separated from my group and then grouped up with a young 14 year old girl and her family. She screamed so loud that it actually hurt my ears to the point of pain. I had to put my hands over my ears just to concentrate and thus the house was completely ruined for me. Also another peeve for me is being a 6-2 190 pound guy is that I'm a magnet for scared girls to latch on too. I was almost dragged to the ground in Scary Tales 3 by two girls. Hell im mostly tolerent, if you are genuinely scared and screaming thats ok and if you are scared or cant see and you grab my shirt im fine. But when my ears are almost bleading from the screams or almost drug to the ground it ruins the whole experience for me.

One of my biggest Pet Peeves is when guests bring in their glow in the dark/ light up necklaces, bracelets, souvenir cups, etc. If you bring it in, turn it off or cover it up so that it doesn't take away from the experience of the maze.

I voted for mazes not being dark enough, but this is the angle that I'm looking at it from. Not so much that Universal doesn't make it dark enough, but that guests find someway to detract from the experience by trying to brighten up their walk thru.

On that note, I have to add people who use their cell phones as a light source in a house...seriously? It's not as if your phone gives off enough light to see more than an inch in front of your face, in turn, these people walk at a snails pace holding up the line even more so. Turn your damn cell phone off, deal with the dark since your in a haunted house and all and WALK!

It's actually worse for them; the light from a phone screen is harsh enough in that darkness to kill their night vision if they look directly at it, so they end up with everything that their phone ISN'T lighting up looking even darker.

As I learned from my astronomy class, a flashlight with a red filter over it is a much better way to see without damaging your night vision. On that note, please do not take a red Mag-light into a house.

My pet peeve: people who complain about the site updating "slowly", as if A&D is required to speed stuff up instead of, you know, working.

When a random stranger grabs onto you and doesnt let go, screaming constantly in your ear. Not enjoyable.

I also don't appreciate it when someone behind me gets scared and tries to go through me to get away!!!! When I was walking through Friday the 13th with a group of cast-mates, these 2 HS aged guys kept getting scared and basically running into me. I kept having to walk faster so that I could get away from them. Unfortunately, I also missed parts of the house by doing this.

I am so sorry, I am undoubtedly guilty of this. :lol: I was definitely at my worst at my first ever trip to HHN back in 2008. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre maze had me grabbing onto people and creating my own stampede of screams and yells! I definitely have it more in control now and do it less (2009).. but I definitely still do it. ^^;

I'm working on it!

My pet peeve: people who complain about the site updating "slowly", as if A&D is required to speed stuff up instead of, you know, working.

Amen to that!

And I have to say that this year, one of my pet peeves has become the incessant "When are we getting an update?", "We don't know anything about the event!" This is probably the first year I can recall since the inception of the actual HHN website where we have gone this late into the season without knowing much at all...and it has been wonderful! Every year up till now it seems we were well aware of every single detail of the event, leaving little to the imagination on opening night. Isn't that part of the fun of HHN, the surprise of what has been created for us? This will be my 20th year and I still enjoy the anticipation of what the event holds for us...I would much rather have bit by bit revealed, than know everything up front all at once.

With the major updated scheduled for the 26th, soon enough we will know what to expect from this year...until then, chill, relax and enjoy the anticipation of what certainly will be an amazing year.

Amen to that!

And I have to say that this year, one of my pet peeves has become the incessant "When are we getting an update?", "We don't know anything about the event!" This is probably the first year I can recall since the inception of the actual HHN website where we have gone this late into the season without knowing much at all...and it has been wonderful! Every year up till now it seems we were well aware of every single detail of the event, leaving little to the imagination on opening night. Isn't that part of the fun of HHN, the surprise of what has been created for us? This will be my 20th year and I still enjoy the anticipation of what the event holds for us...I would much rather have bit by bit revealed, than know everything up front all at once.

With the major updated scheduled for the 26th, soon enough we will know what to expect from this year...until then, chill, relax and enjoy the anticipation of what certainly will be an amazing year.

Well put!!!

An offshoot of this is the guys who pick apart every pixel of information out there convinced they can "figure it out" before it's released and then try and convince everyone they know everything about it. Sometimes things don't have a deeper meaning, they just are what they are. Give it time and you'll get your answers without riling up the masses.

• 1 month later...

This'll be my third year going in a row. My #1 pet peeve is kids there. This is not a kid friendly or kid appropriate event in any way shape or form. Bringing a child 13 or under to this event should be construed by the police officers there as child abuse. Not only does it have the potential to send kids to therapy but it's just a hassle for the rest of the guests at the event when something has to stop or can't be enjoyed because of a kid freaking out.

Last year I made the mistake of taking my girlfriend. (Well she said she had been before years ago and knew what to expect, I tried to caution her it wasn't for the faint hearted). After about two scare zones she started having a freak out because she couldn't handle people "getting in her face". So I'm there trying to get her through this so we can get to a safe area then find a way out but some scareactors would not leave her alone. I said to a couple of them "dude please stop she's seriously freaking out and I'm trying to get her out of here" but apparently that's like throwing gasoline on a fire because that made them do it MORE. Eventually a nice young lady who was working a concession helped us out and showed us a way to go around them to leave. Lesson learned, I'm not bringing her this year but it was pretty obvious she was NOT enjoying herself and I wished they'd have backed off at that point.

Finally I'd like to chime in with the back crawlers. I'm the kind of person that has the gumption to turn around to the person behind me and tell them to knock it off though which I had to do in Fractured Fairytales the first time I went. Also the MORONS that try and "get the best of" the scareactors in some way are bleeping retarded. You understand you do not actually look cool or tough because you were able to annoy or startle an actor right? Do it to a real zombie and I'll be impressed.

• 3 months later...