Brian Brushwood: Menace and Malice Speculation

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, Everyone should boycott the show, so he gets kicked out and UO puts together one of those awesome shows that they used to have every year, I don't think it would hurt to have another even themed show, i enjoyed them actually, like the 2008 jack show, where they did this fun gory stuff.

Yeah it is your opinion, its a wrong and impossible one, but an opinion I guess I have to respect. The thing about Brushwood is you and I mean you corpselicker are just one person. The majority of the "hate" of the brushwood show comes from the "hardcore fans" of HHN. Well guess what, most of the online forum board "Hardcore fans" are only a handful compared to the ones that aren't and go to the even just to have fun and could care less about certain themes, the production behind the show, etc. You know the stuff we discuss on the forums and also care about. The same goes for the other things people whine about. There are going to be things that do not please everyone. You can't please everyone it is quite impossible to do so. I say just wait sit and wait until the show actually starts then whine about it, because all of the hate of houses, scarezones, events, etc are all based off of speculation.

Yeah it is your opinion, its a wrong and impossible one, but an opinion I guess I have to respect. The thing about Brushwood is you and I mean you corpselicker are just one person. The majority of the "hate" of the brushwood show comes from the "hardcore fans" of HHN. Well guess what, most of the online forum board "Hardcore fans" are only a handful compared to the ones that aren't and go to the even just to have fun and could care less about certain themes, the production behind the show, etc. You know the stuff we discuss on the forums and also care about. The same goes for the other things people whine about. There are going to be things that do not please everyone. You can't please everyone it is quite impossible to do so. I say just wait sit and wait until the show actually starts then whine about it, because all of the hate of houses, scarezones, events, etc are all based off of speculation.

See, now I'd consider myself to be a 'hardcore HHN fan', and yet I really like Brian's stuff. Both times I have seen his show I have been entertained, which is all he (and the entire event) sets out to do. It sounds like the hate stems from something that happened behind-the-scenes in 2008, something I havn't heard of and, if everyone's this vocal about his participation in the event, I don't WANT to hear about it.

I saw him 2 years in a row (can't remember the years...maybe 07 and 08?) and the first year I thought he was "mehhhhh". Nothing special. Second year he did the SAME EXACT ACT and that really annoyed me. The first time I found the cellphone trick mildly amusing. The second time, as soon as he started it, me and my group walked out. Had said I definitely wouldn't waste my time with it this year.

Started watching the Webcast replay and was ready to scoop my own eyes out with a melon baller. Then I fast forwarded a ways ahead to see what happened and I have to admit, I'm mildly intrigued. I think one one of the 3 nights I'm going, I'll see if I can get my friends (4 of the 5 of which saw the two other shows with me and hated it too) to go and give it a shot. Get seats by an isle so we can easily leave halfway through should it be another boring replay of his previous acts, but I think I'm going to give him a chance.

I felt the same way as the guy above me but the more and more I hear and see I think I will give his show or shows a shot on one of my nights. If he is really having 2 different shows maybe it is to make up for the same show 2 years in a row. I guess I will try to see both if he really does 2 but will be ready to walk out if it sucks.

To anyone who has seen his show in the past:

Do you remember him doing meet and greets after his shows? For some reason I remember hearing about him doing a book signing or something. I'm a nerd for this but it would be cool to meet him and say hi since I'm a fan of his podcast on TWiT and his show on revision3

Yes. Absolutely will be doing meets and greets after every single show. Feel free to chat as long as you like, and make sure to let me know you're in the audience by throwing me a twitter "@reply". (I'm @shwood)

Can't wait to see you there!

-Brian

Edited by Brian Brushwood

From what I understand, during the wait till midnight for the website update, Brian was doing his online show "NSFW" and at the end he revealed he is doing two different shows. Don't know what he has planned but I can't wait to see what he does.

We were able to touch on it here, but the plan is to have two completely different back-to-back experiences. From the moment you walk in the door and start watching the pre-show, to the moment you leave, I want every second of each show to be different. My hope is that some people will come in, watch the first show, and enjoy it enough that they walk out, grab a drink, and get right back in line to experience a completely different second show.

... I don't think it would hurt to have another even themed show, i enjoyed them actually, like the 2008 jack show, where they did this fun gory stuff.

I LOVED the Jack show. two of my friends helped write it, and I used to catch it during the one big break between shows I had. Glad you liked it too! (..."HELL YEAH, JACK!")

I saw him 2 years in a row (can't remember the years...maybe 07 and 08?) and the first year I thought he was "mehhhhh". Nothing special. Second year he did the SAME EXACT ACT and that really annoyed me. The first time I found the cellphone trick mildly amusing. The second time, as soon as he started it, me and my group walked out. Had said I definitely wouldn't waste my time with it this year.

Started watching the Webcast replay and was ready to scoop my own eyes out with a melon baller. Then I fast forwarded a ways ahead to see what happened and I have to admit, I'm mildly intrigued. I think one one of the 3 nights I'm going, I'll see if I can get my friends (4 of the 5 of which saw the two other shows with me and hated it too) to go and give it a shot. Get seats by an isle so we can easily leave halfway through should it be another boring replay of his previous acts, but I think I'm going to give him a chance.

Dude, I'm stoked you're giving the show a second chance, but (forgive me here), I gotta correct you on this one: in 2007, I made a few special appearances at HHN, sharing the "freak show" stage with the super-talented Kevin James and Stevie Starr... But in 2008, 3 of the 5 routines were totally different (...we only did Mr. H and EVP again because the vast majority of people coming hadn't seen me in the previous year).

If your main priority is seeing all-new stuff, then definitely check out the "Malice" show this year. It will be 100%, absolutely different from the show in 2008. If you have a good time, come on back for "Menace", which will STILL have some brand-new routines you've never seen before.

Either way, stop by and tell me what you thought of the show afterward. You guys are the life-blood of HHN, and I always want to know what you think.

-Brian

the stream was ok I'll check his show

stop by and say "hi" afterward!

I'm actually trying to think of some cool ways to reward the hardcore forum posters out there... like maybe hiding a stash of free t-shirts and DVD's somewhere in the park, and tweeting out clues where they might be found...

...would you guys be interested in that kind of thing?

I'm actually trying to think of some cool ways to reward the hardcore forum posters out there... like maybe hiding a stash of free t-shirts and DVD's somewhere in the park, and tweeting out clues where they might be found...

I think that is actually a really cool idea and would love to participate! I haven't seen any of your shows at HHN in the past but hope to at least see Malice this year. I've been listening to podcasts such as NSFW and TWiT for a long time before I ever knew you were at HHN in the past, so I look forward to stopping by and saying hello after a show as well.

I think that is actually a really cool idea and would love to participate! I haven't seen any of your shows at HHN in the past but hope to at least see Malice this year. I've been listening to podcasts such as NSFW and TWiT for a long time before I ever knew you were at HHN in the past, so I look forward to stopping by and saying hello after a show as well.

hells. yeah.

can. not. wait.

If your main priority is seeing all-new stuff, then definitely check out the "Malice" show this year. It will be 100%, absolutely different from the show in 2008. If you have a good time, come on back for "Menace", which will STILL have some brand-new routines you've never seen before.

Either way, stop by and tell me what you thought of the show afterward. You guys are the life-blood of HHN, and I always want to know what you think.

-Brian

stop by and say "hi" afterward!

First off it's good to hear that you have new stuff going on for this year and I'm looking forward :).

I also agree with your idea of rewarding the posters here as well. Sounds quite interesting.

Anyway, see you at the event :)

Dude, I'm stoked you're giving the show a second chance, but (forgive me here), I gotta correct you on this one: in 2007, I made a few special appearances at HHN, sharing the "freak show" stage with the super-talented Kevin James and Stevie Starr... But in 2008, 3 of the 5 routines were totally different (...we only did Mr. H and EVP again because the vast majority of people coming hadn't seen me in the previous year).

-Brian

I wasn't able to see your show at Horror Nights before. So I'll be sure to definitely catch it this year.

You know what, as you can see I don't really make a lot of posts but I feel I have to this time. This guy has been bashed a LOT on these forums and even in the past in the Vault. The second he arrives on here and makes claims that he will give away free gifts, everyone stays quiet! It is really annoying! I for one have never seen Brian as I live in England and can only get across every so often for HHN. This year I will be able to check out the shows and I'm looking forward to them, I hated Rocky Horror and Bill and Ted was a bit cheesy for me, although I will give it another go. It is nice to see something different this year for those of us that haven't seen Brian. I think a lot of people on the forum's need to understand that we/you are just a handful of people out of thousands, and I believe most members of the general public who attend the event will also watch Brian's shows.

I'll reserve judgement until I see the show but try not to bash the guy too much for repeating an act, I'm sure with the kind of thing Brian does, he can't exactly reveal his full hand of ideas and tricks to the audiences by changing every show, this way he would have a very short career. He needs to be able to hold a certain amount of material back for future years to prolong his career. If you're reading Brian, good luck and I hope the shows are a success.

And guys, there is way too much negativity on these boards as it is, so please don't bash me for having an opinion. :unsure:

You know what, as you can see I don't really make a lot of posts but I feel I have to this time. This guy has been bashed a LOT on these forums and even in the past in the Vault. The second he arrives on here and makes claims that he will give away free gifts, everyone stays quiet! It is really annoying! I for one have never seen Brian as I live in England and can only get across every so often for HHN. This year I will be able to check out the shows and I'm looking forward to them, I hated Rocky Horror and Bill and Ted was a bit cheesy for me, although I will give it another go. It is nice to see something different this year for those of us that haven't seen Brian. I think a lot of people on the forum's need to understand that we/you are just a handful of people out of thousands, and I believe most members of the general public who attend the event will also watch Brian's shows.

I'll reserve judgement until I see the show but try not to bash the guy too much for repeating an act, I'm sure with the kind of thing Brian does, he can't exactly reveal his full hand of ideas and tricks to the audiences by changing every show, this way he would have a very short career. He needs to be able to hold a certain amount of material back for future years to prolong his career. If you're reading Brian, good luck and I hope the shows are a success.

And guys, there is way too much negativity on these boards as it is, so please don't bash me for having an opinion. :unsure:

yeah I see your point, and I will be seeing his act,

I just realized something, at least we're not gonna have Stevie Starr this year, he Really sucks,

still be sweet if he had rock band set up in his car. so much fun was had.

Dude, no lie: I was REALLY hoping RB3 would be out in time for this year's run. The new "pro mode" allows you to play REAL guitar in the game! unfortunately, it's not out until Nov...

...but who knows: I may bring the RB2 setup anyway.

That was a LOT of fun:

832571.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=0ZRYP5X5F6FSMBCCSE82&Expires=1283894801&Signature=qgTpl%2BBIjEc008Q3JafLIDYo6Fo%3D

Brian I think the stash idea would be awesome!!! And I loved your show in 08, I saw it at least 8 times. I'm so excited about the two shows this year i will definitely be seeing both of them!!! ;)

you know what's funny? Guys like you are EXACTLY why I suggested having 2 different shows this year. When people told me they had seen the show 3-4 times last time, I thought "what a bummer! I've got so much other show I'd love them to see!" ... so now you'll get to compare and contrast the two shows :-)

Officer Friendly there looks like he's trying not to smile. But I would like to say I respect the fact that you are on here to reassure us that you are truly going to bring us a great expierience this year. I saw your show the first year you were at HHN and I loved it. I will admit the second year I was a little dissapointed to see some of the same stuff but since I was with a group that had never seen your show before it was still fun. I have a FFPP so you can count on me being at both shows to check it out. Might even stay after to say hey. Oh and I love the idea of leaving secret stashes around the park. I will be searching for them!

I only attended two nights in 2008 and houses/scarezones were a huge priority for me - as such I didn't make it to your show (just barely made Bill & Ted). This year, however, I'll be going 4+ nights, so I'll definitely make a point to stop by and check it out - I know the rest of my party is interested as well, they love illusions. I'm not sure why people are so opposed to an illusion act - I get the whole doing the same thing over again, but that's been rectified with the new show (think that's great by the way). This type of show is a great way to contrast the all-out scares of the other attractions and the comedy of Bill&Ted... variety is the spice of life.

Also, that DVD/t-shirt idea sounds cool - keep us posted if you're able to do that, I'd love to participate!