HHN 27 Speculation

hhnfan95

2 hours ago, hunnylvr said:

We have a room called The Asylum, and we promote the fact that we can alter the "scare" level from 1-10 based on what the customer wants.  We've got some good effects in that room, not to mention an extremely immersive set design (we had one of our friends from Universal A&D help us with the set, so I'm not joking or bragging).  We also have one called The Ringmaster which isn't scary like the Asylum, but it's creepy.  If you go to our website and watch the videos, you'll see.  Haunt fans love our rooms.  It would be great to have our Nightmares family come and play.

We were at the same conference and same tour.  It's possible we talked to each other and didn't even know it.

Owner to owner - if you want to play our room when you're in town, please private message me

THANK YOU Alice!  You really should play The Ringmaster at least.. you could handle it.. maybe. :)

I did that one, actually! And my boyfriend swore up and down it wasn't scary...yeah, that didn't work out too well. But I don't blame y'all for it. Not to spoil it for everyone, but be aware if you do go, HHN lovers will like it ;)

• Like 1

Was there something that sparked Hollywood to make it a dry event? Are they normally a dry park?

I imagine Orlando has probably had some issues with people who cannot handle their alcohol but they've managed to keep it under control to my knowledge.  I think the 3 hour lines really sober ya up.

2 hours ago, PeoriaBJJ said:

Im ashamed to say this... but Ive never been to either of those haunts.... and Im SO CLOSE!!!! Dont be hate meeeeeee!!!!

Seriously?  I can't even... OMG.  Dude.. 

2 hours ago, elhev said:

I've been thinking of something cool to surprise my boyfriend with for his birthday, while we are in Orlando in August.   He would love this!  I will def be booking :)

I just messaged my partners at D2E and told them we will put the Nightmares promo code on the site early.  I know how all of you HHN fans  are- book early and all that.  I will let you know when the promo code is up and what it is.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, elhev said:

Was there something that sparked Hollywood to make it a dry event? Are they normally a dry park?

I imagine Orlando has probably had some issues with people who cannot handle their alcohol but they've managed to keep it under control to my knowledge.  I think the 3 hour lines really sober ya up.

Universal Hollywood is NOT a dry park during the day.

You would think that because Orlando HHN had alcohol, Hollywood HHN would follow suit, right?  

My theory is that Hollywood had to take cues from competing attractions.  Within a 40 mile radius you have Six Flags Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knotts).  Magic Mountain did haunts, and they were dry because the place attracted gang bangers and had a real problem with fights breaking out - so much so that they were nicknamed "Six Stabs Tragic Mountain".  Knotts was still family owned and were dry and yet wildly successful with their haunt which sold out every night.

Since then Magic Mountain is still dry.  Knotts is NOT dry, but they have a wrist band, limit to one or two drinks, and sell alcohol in one specific area.

HHN is also still dry during HHN, but alcohol is sold in Citywalk and, frankly, quite a few people come "pre-moistened" for the event...  I imagine it's also very easy to sneak alcohol in a plastic container.  

So Hollywood sells alcohol during the day but is dry for HHN.  I think they are very risk averse, considering the crowds it attracts.  

What is truly funny is that HHN Hollywood still sells Jello shots at every stand and even has Blood Bag girls.  But they are just selling Jello.  And people buy it.

Edited by zombieman
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, hunnylvr said:

Seriously?  I can't even... OMG.  Dude.. 

I just messaged my partners at D2E and told them we will put the Nightmares promo code on the site early.  I know how all of you HHN fans  are- book early and all that.  I will let you know when the promo code is up and what it is.  

Let me know through PM, or have Sean PM me when this happens, and we'll get something posted and help promote it.

• Like 3

I've been to both events - Hollywood and Orlando.  I believe I've done Hollywood 3 times.  I prefer Orlando by a mile.  Maybe because it feels more immersive to me since I don't have to go up and down giant lit escalators to get from one section of the park to the other, and also because Orlando does original stuff.  Oh, and I like the guys at Orlando A&D very much.  If Hollywood was the only HHN event, I'd probably go, but not every year and certainly not multiple weekends.  I am an Orlando fan til I die, I guess.

2 minutes ago, mz_ said:

Let me know through PM, or have Sean PM me when this happens, and we'll get something posted and help promote it.

Actually, I just confirmed the promo code is already on our site.  Any of our forum members can enter promo code Nightmares when booking and it's $5 off any game you book.  

I'd love to know who plays and what you think!

Thanks Mark!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, hunnylvr said:

I've been to both events - Hollywood and Orlando.  I believe I've done Hollywood 3 times.  I prefer Orlando by a mile.  Maybe because it feels more immersive to me since I don't have to go up and down giant lit escalators to get from one section of the park to the other, and also because Orlando does original stuff.  Oh, and I like the guys at Orlando A&D very much.  If Hollywood was the only HHN event, I'd probably go, but not every year and certainly not multiple weekends.  I am an Orlando fan til I die, I guess.

Actually, I just confirmed the promo code is already on our site.  Any of our forum members can enter promo code Nightmares when booking and it's $5 off any game you book.  

I'd love to know who plays and what you think!

Thanks Mark!

Awesome! I am going to check it out next month. Which of the three rooms would you recommend most?

1 hour ago, zombieman said:

Universal Hollywood is NOT a dry park during the day.

You would think that because Orlando HHN had alcohol, Hollywood HHN would follow suit, right?  

My theory is that Hollywood had to take cues from competing attractions.  Within a 40 mile radius you have Magic Mountain, Disneyland, and Knotts).  

Magic Mountain did haunts, and they were dry because the place attracted gang bangers and they had a real problem with fights breaking out.  They were nicknamed "Six Stabs Tragic Mountain".  Knotts was still family owned and were dry and yet wildly successful with their haunt which sold out every night.

Since then Magic Mountain is still dry.  Knotts is NOT dry, but they have a wrist band and limit to one or two drinks.

HHN is also still dry during HHN, but alcohol is sold in Citywalk and, frankly, quite a few people come "pre-moistened" for the event...  I imagine it's also very easy to sneak alcohol in a plastic container.  

So Hollywood sells alcohol during the day but is dry for HHN.  I think they are very risk averse, considering the crowds it attracts.  

What is truly funny is that HHN Hollywood still sells Jello shots at every stand and even has Blood Bag girls.  But they are just selling Jello.  And people buy it.

Lmao the Jello thing is pretty hilarious.  Still not sure why they just don't limit alcohol sales in Hollywood, or maybe just sell beer and wine.  Orlando is pretty strict, I don't know if you can even get shots besides the Jello ones but I doubt those have much alcohol in em.  Last year we ordered drinks and paid for them showed our IDs and before the drinks were made my boyfriend went to the bathroom and they would only give me my drink they wouldn't let me walk away with both of ours.  

1 minute ago, elhev said:

Lmao the Jello thing is pretty hilarious.  Still not sure why they just don't limit alcohol sales in Hollywood, or maybe just sell beer and wine.  Orlando is pretty strict, I don't know if you can even get shots besides the Jello ones but I doubt those have much alcohol in em.  Last year we ordered drinks and paid for them showed our IDs and before the drinks were made my boyfriend went to the bathroom and they would only give me my drink they wouldn't let me walk away with both of ours.  

I remember one year some underage kids timidly approached a blood bag girl and were stunned that they were able to score shots.  That in itself was funny, but it got funnier when one kid took a swig from the bag, winced, and commented to his friend what STRONG STUFF it was.  I'm sure they thought they were wasted half an hour later.

• Like 4

Time for a Hollywood goer to jump in on this lol. The alcohol sales only stopped quite recently, however they were not sold to everybody. Alcohol only used to be sold to the VIP's and they were limited to 2 drinks a night. With the VIP experience being taken away, the alcohol was taken away too. I think the Hollywood crowd is much different than the Orlando crowd too, our crowd seems full of a bunch of morons who would be drunk in the park and hit the actors, so from what I've seen it's just trying to ensure the safety of our actors

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HorrorNightsFan13 said:

Time for a Hollywood goer to jump in on this lol. The alcohol sales only stopped quite recently, however they were not sold to everybody. Alcohol only used to be sold to the VIP's and they were limited to 2 drinks a night. With the VIP experience being taken away, the alcohol was taken away too. I think the Hollywood crowd is much different than the Orlando crowd too, our crowd seems full of a bunch of morons who would be drunk in the park and hit the actors, so from what I've seen it's just trying to ensure the safety of our actors

Wow that is awful.   Sad how a few morons can ruin it for everyone else.  I am sure we have our share of morons as well.  I haven't heard of anyone hitting the scare actors though but I have heard about female actor's being groped, which is just infuriating.  I heard that a few years ago though hopefully they've done something to prevent that from happening. 

1 hour ago, HorrorNightsFan13 said:

I totally forgot about the alcohol for VIP experience.  

I'm a non drinker. I saw people laying in the bushes covered in their own puke in Orlando last year. People talking shit and cutting in line a lot too. I'm the minority, but I'd love to go to a dry event. Murdy seems like a great guy with a true passion, but from the tents, park layout, and lack of original content... LA's HHN looks pretty meh to me. Was also randomly curious about the Mummy ride in LA compared to Orlando. Shit. Looked. Terrible. 

Me brain decided to finally start connecting dots. 

While the Iniquitus still stand as a potential for the icon answer, I've found/remembered a far more likely group. 

The Soul Harvesters from HHN 16 Harvest of the Souls. 

They would fit perfectly into a Dust Bowl/Scarecrow house thus giving us an icon house. 

Its a great way to bring some elements of Crowe's story to fruition without using a known unused character. 

All the Reaper clues fit. As well as the desire for souls. Reaping is harvesting. Reapers are harvesters. Scythes can be used to reap corn. The Reaper carries a scythe. I can even think of a potential familial name, although it's not very imaginative, Grimm. 

Here's one of the harvesters:

Halloween Horror Nights XVI

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Brandon_Voorhees said:

I'm a non drinker. I saw people laying in the bushes covered in their own puke in Orlando last year. People talking shit and cutting in line a lot too. I'm the minority, but I'd love to go to a dry event.

Sheesh, that can't have been pleasant to come across.
Personally, while I drink occasionally (Almost never more than one alcoholic beverage an evening, if that, and only when I'm already turned in for the night and not about to go anywhere), I never drink at HHN, largely because I'm not much of a night owl and I have an hour's drive back to my apartment, so I don't need anything in my system that might possibly make me less awake or alert for my drive home.
A dry event wouldn't bother me one bit.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mystiquephreeq said:

While the Iniquitus still stand as a potential for the icon answer, I've found/remembered a far more likely group. 

They would fit perfectly into a Dust Bowl/Scarecrow house thus giving us an icon house. 

Its a great way to bring some elements of Crowe's story to fruition without using a known unused character. 

All the Reaper clues fit. As well as the desire for souls. Reaping is harvesting. Reapers are harvesters. Scythes can be used to reap corn. The Reaper carries a scythe. I can even think of a potential familial name, although it's not very imaginative, Grimm. 

Oh man, is this what they re-worked to have in Evil's Roots in 25? Because I know someone who would flip if their character got to be an icon. 

15 hours ago, N i c k said:

Awesome! I am going to check it out next month. Which of the three rooms would you recommend most?

I truly love them all (I know, I sound like a parent), but my personal favorite is The Asylum.  We've had more screams running through our place from that room, so, of course, it holds a special place in my heart.  LOL!  Seriously, we were there a couple weekends ago, and a whole girls' softball team showed up to play.  They crammed 13 teenage girls into that room (a number NOT recommended, but they wanted to do it), and the screams were deafening  It was hilarious.  Also, that room was our first to open, and we put a LOT into it - full immersion - all the way down to the smells (my idea).  As a haunt fan, I'd recommend that first.  Watch the videos on our website - I think you'll enjoy.  www.dare2escape.com

15 hours ago, elhev said:

Wow that is awful.   Sad how a few morons can ruin it for everyone else.  I am sure we have our share of morons as well.  I haven't heard of anyone hitting the scare actors though but I have heard about female actor's being groped, which is just infuriating.  I heard that a few years ago though hopefully they've done something to prevent that from happening. 

Been going to Orlando since '04.  We definitely have our share of morons.  On the whole, considering the crowd sizes and the massive availability of alcohol seemingly every 10 feet, we do pretty well.  But there's also a reason we have TSA type airport security to get in.  Not sure if you've noticed in recent years, but if you have on long pants, they check your socks when coming in security.  That's because some moron a few years back thought it a good idea to stash pepper spray in there and spray scareactors.  Each year there's typical scareactor harassment from drunk fools along with the occasional fall down puking drunks.  And yes, quite a few scareactors have been punched.  There are usually a couple times a season a house temporarily closes due to someone puking inside.  More times than not, it's in the vortex.  And they do sell straight liquor shots at the bars.  But there's more or less a zero tolerance policy when it comes to scareactors.  If they feel violated in any way, they tell their stage manager and you'll be found and trespassed out.  Goodbye expensive ticket and no returning. 

5 years ago I was there with family and it was the first HHN my stepdaughter was at the event being 21.  I went and bought her a drink, gave it to her.  Literally within seconds an undercover officer appeared (looking like another guest), literally out of the woodwork, asking to see her I.D.  Before then, I never considered that aspect of the security.

More than a few years ago now, someone did actually die on the way home from the event in an alcohol related car accident.  So I recall.  And then HHN cut sales the next night.  Then they realized how much money they lost from that and promptly turned the spigot back on the next night.  I believe that was the only dry period.

- I always found it odd that Orlando freely sells alcohol but is super strict on pictures in the houses.  Hollywood is dry but is very amiable to allowing photography inside.  Go figure.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mystiquephreeq said:

I brought this up a couple pages ago and couldnt agree more. This was probably my fav SZ ever. It had a really great feel to it and was creep as hell. Love your idea of bringing in Crowe as an icon and relating it to all this. That character has to come to fruition eventually. Its too cool of a story not to.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mystiquephreeq said:

I truly hope you're on to something here.  THIS is Halloween to me!  I LOVE this kind of stuff!  The pumpkins, the scarecrows, and characters that are made from those things.  Evil's Roots and Grown Evil were my favorite scarezones of all time.  I know we've talked previously about how this event has to have many different types of things to cover the tastes of so many haunt fans.  However, I truly believe that it should ALWAYS have something that screams traditional Halloween like this.  It just makes my heart warm.  )

• Like 1

I guess I'm lucky. My wife and I have been doing HHN for over a decade now and Ive never had any issues with drunks. Like ever. I'll have one drink per trip (per year) and thats just to get a blinky cup! 

Just now, hunnylvr said:

I truly hope you're on to something here.  THIS is Halloween to me!  I LOVE this kind of stuff!  The pumpkins, the scarecrows, and characters that are made from those things.  Evil's Roots and Grown Evil were my favorite scarezones of all time.  I know we've talked previously about how this event has to have many different types of things to cover the tastes of so many haunt fans.  However, I truly believe that it should ALWAYS have something that screams traditional Halloween like this.  It just makes my heart warm.  )

You and I have very similar tastes and outlooks on Halloween. Agree with everything you said! #TeamPumpkins

• Like 2

As for alcohol... I realize there are people who feel comforted at a "scary" event when they can have a few drinks. For some, I guess it takes the edge off.  A few drinks is fine.  For me, however,  I am not one of those people who needs that..  I want to feel the full immersion and be fully aware of every little detail.  Don't get me wrong,  I like to have drinks every now and then, so I'm not some kind of Puritan.  However, I will never understand people who think  it's a good idea to spend that kind of money to go to an event and then pretty much not remember most of it.  It's the same thing with people who pay $150 a ticket to see a concert and pass out in the first five minutes.  If you want to drink THAT much, stay home and buy a keg and have your friends over.  Don't come to an event and puke all over everything, harass or injure scareactors (or other patrons) and just be a general dick.  I've said this over and over - if I saw someone groping or hitting any scareactor, I would lose my shit on them.  

Edited to say I'm with Peoria on this (of course I am) - I'll usually get one drink to get the cup.  LOL

One more thing - to make you all jealous.  I'm leaving tomorrow to go spend several days at The Stanley Hotel.  It's been on my bucket list FOREVER, and since my 50th birthday is this Sunday (I cannot believe I'm this damn old - but I'll still walk circles around you at HHN, heheheh), I decided it was time.  This was before they announced The Shining.  It's kismet.   What a perfect year to finally do this - stay at the haunted place that inspired the whole thing - and then see it come to life all over again at HHN.  Anybody want a room 217 keychain? (remember, in the book it's room 217 - not 237 like the movie).

• Like 2