A brutal review about HHN 25, that I happen to agree with in retrospect.

I admittedly didn't read the entire review because it was very clear after the scarezone reviews where it was headed. That being said, I could see why someone considers the event a shell of its former self, but I find myself enjoying the event year after year; like a lot of things in life, it is what you make it.

• Like 3

This review is garbage, not because I diasgree with some of the points she makes, it's because what she complaines about is either stupid to think it can't be like that(a hostile environment at the front with security), or it's something she made up(scarezone employees pointing a flashlight in her face screaming move). This has upset me so much I'm gonna write a big rant about some of the things she said, but I figured I would just mention this first. Just let it be known that according to her, if you liked last years event, you are either biased, bought, or a complete fucking idiot who doesn't know any better

• Like 3

9 hours ago, meltdown28 said:

Man, I hope I never become as sad and jaded at anything.

It must be real hard for her to get up in the morning and enjoy life.

Yep.

I agree with the review to some extent. But Life is what you make of it. You can go to the event and be Debbie Downer and complain about how great it used to be. Or you can just accept it for what it is now and enjoy it. I choose the latter.

Also who am I to say its crap. Some people might really enjoy the HHN of today. I don't want to take that from them by raining on their parade.

Edited by JunoSynth
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, JunoSynth said:

Yep.

I agree with the review to some extent. But Life is what you make of it. You can go to the event and be Debbie Downer and complain about how great it used to be. Or you can just accept it for what it is now and enjoy it. I choose the latter.

Also who am I to say its crap. Some people might really enjoy the HHN of today. I don't want to take that from them by raining on their parade.

Ive been following the event for years before I have actually been able to attend, (I live in St. Louis, and it hasn't been the easiest to get down there. Ive been to 2012 & 2014, and im coming down for this years) so I probably shouldn't talk, but I just don't see the point of complaining about the event if you don't enjoy it anymore.

If you dont like the event, its as easy as not wasting your money and time, and just dont go. I mean, maybe she feels the need to cause shes a blogger and blah blah blah, but holy hell. She more or less had nothing good to say about the whole event. 

I just can't comprehend how anything bums anyone out that much.

30 minutes ago, bmoz628 said:

Eh she just seems like a complaining person. The event is still way better than 98% of the haunted events out there. Even if there are certain aspects of it that could be improved each year. 

Probably. I've never been to FL local haunts but come on. They are really going to be better than the experience at HHN? I don't know about that. Although I'm curious to see/know just how good her suggestion of "Netherworld" is. Or "The Darkness". I hear those are pretty good.

Edited by JunoSynth

11 hours ago, JunoSynth said:

Probably. I've never been to FL local haunts but come on. They are really going to be better than the experience at HHN? I don't know about that. Although I'm curious to see/know just how good her suggestion of "Netherworld" is. Or "The Darkness". I hear those are pretty good.

Netherworld is absolutely phenomenal. It is the best haunted attraction I've ever been through. It makes HHN's sets look amateur.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, criticalanalysis said:

Netherworld is absolutely phenomenal. It is the best haunted attraction I've ever been through. It makes HHN's sets look amateur.

Does Netherworld ever change sets though, or is it more or less is what it is year in and year out?

Even with Uni's money, could be the difference.

7 hours ago, criticalanalysis said:

If you hate horror nights so much, then why do you waste your time coming here and posting, and why do you waste all of our time we spend scrolling past your useless negativity that is not useful to anyone?

On 8/10/2016 at 5:36 PM, meltdown28 said:

Does Netherworld ever change sets though, or is it more or less is what it is year in and year out?

Even with Uni's money, could be the difference.

I've gone twice in 6 years so the sets changed for me :) As for how much yearly I don't know.

If you hate horror nights so much, then why do you waste your time coming here and posting, and why do you waste all of our time we spend scrolling past your useless negativity that is not useful to anyone?

I hate HHN? news to me.

Edited by criticalanalysis

7 hours ago, Jediwhit82 said:

I don't think critical ever had any 'useless negativity.' I may not always agree with what his opinions are, but he tends to have some constructive criticism about the event. You can like HHN, and still not be happy with some of the choices they make. He simply points them out and gives his opinions about it, just like people who favor the decisions. That's kind of the point of the forum, right? To have a dialogue about HHN? 

Like I've said before, I loved HHN25 but I also realize that HHN25 was a rather divisive event among the fans. 
I read the article posted, and that starts to lean into some really harsh territory/criticisms/opinions (as the title of this thread suggests) and some of them I think are a little unfounded. Like *as others have pointed out) her saying that if you liked the event you're either bought or don't know any better. I feel like with HHN and a lot of haunts, like NICK said- it is what you make of it. 

I will say though, this isn't the first time I've heard complaints about security... I must be just really lucky or something, because I've never had any issue with security. At the front or in the park at the event. In fact, security in the front have always been extremely nice and welcoming to me, often commenting about my shirts, belt-buckles, and apologizing profusely if they have to double scan for something <.<

• Like 1

Eh it's better to realize it's just a silly Halloween event. This is my 25th year (missed 14) and I USED to take it so very seriously. But nothing really compares to the monster event HHN is. You can say places with one or two houses, that don't change yearly, are better. But they are completely different animals. It really just depends on what you like. Not even Disney can (or will) produce a similar event. It's unique in it's range, scope, and size.

Yes HHN has changed. Of course it has. If you saw Fright Nights it was a joke compared to the money making machine it is now. I think they are doing a pretty good job of balancing IPs to creative with what they are given and allowed. It is what it is and they do what they can.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JDW said:

Eh it's better to realize it's just a silly Halloween event. This is my 25th year (missed 14) and I USED to take it so very seriously. But nothing really compares to the monster event HHN is. You can say places with one or two houses, that don't change yearly, are better. But they are completely different animals. It really just depends on what you like. Not even Disney can (or will) produce a similar event. It's unique in it's range, scope, and size.

Yes HHN has changed. Of course it has. If you saw Fright Nights it was a joke compared to the money making machine it is now. I think they are doing a pretty good job of balancing IPs to creative with what they are given and allowed. It is what it is and they do what they can.

Out of curiosity, JDW, what year(s) do you think they  nailed it and why? Sucks you missed 14, what a great year!

Edited by criticalanalysis

every year had it's plus and minus. I really loved 97,98,10,12,13,15,18,19

I dunno what makes or breaks the year honestly. I guess that I Had a good time, was able to see everything, and that the houses were well done. If you asked me 18 was my magic year. But some of the houses bombed pretty bad.

Last year was absolutely miserable for me bc of the insane crowds and the price forcing me to go just once. But the houses were really good. in 5 years I may look back more positively.

2007 was miserable for me too. But some of my favorite houses come out of that year. So it's kind of a two-fold experience. first impressions don't necessarily dictate how I will feel ultimately. 

It just boils down to good time for me now. If I'm not enjoying myself what is the bloody point?

• Like 2

Now I agree with a lot of what that review said. It's fair and honest and I don't see any complaints in it that I haven't expressed myself. (OK maybe a little hard on the actual houses)
Heck, look at mine last year:

http://www.dreadeddominions.net/jack-is-back-with-a-vengeance/

I tried to be as fair and balanced as I could... but in the end I had to express how miserable I ended up feeling.

So it really does end up with what you are looking for.

This is why I focus on the good time aspect now. Yeah it's expensive. Yeah it's insanely crowded. But, can I have a good time? Can I turn those lemons into lemonade? If I can't then I might as well end my run with HHN. I choose to bite the bullet and buy express this year. I hate it. I despise it. But my love for HHN (or what it has meant in my life anyway) makes me not want to throw the baby out with the bath water. I'll go this year and see if forking over the extra money is a good return on the investment.

7 minutes ago, JDW said:

I choose to bite the bullet and buy express this year. I hate it. I despise it. But my love for HHN (or what it has meant in my life anyway) makes me not want to throw the baby out with the bath water. I'll go this year and see if forking over the extra money is a good return on the investment.

We wouldn't even go to the event without express. I can't even imagine how rough it's been for you waiting in those lines. This is one instance where paying the extra is well worth it. Once you experience the difference, there will be no going back. I'd imagine this year will especially be worth it considering the lineup. I think the lines this year are going to be epicly bad. 

Edited by ThNdIzNiR
  • Like 2