2016 Audition Schedule & Tips

Hello. I'm new to the board and I am super nervous about auditioning tomorrow (July 28th). What are some of the things they have had y'all act out this year? This way I can feel more prepared and confident in going into the audition. I know you have been mentioning the one minute long thing where you pretend you are scaring someone, but what else is being asked of us this year? Thank you in advance and hopefully I can get a great leftover position since most spots have been casted by now I bet.

31 minutes ago, AlanG said:

Hello. I'm new to the board and I am super nervous about auditioning tomorrow (July 28th). What are some of the things they have had y'all act out this year? This way I can feel more prepared and confident in going into the audition. I know you have been mentioning the one minute long thing where you pretend you are scaring someone, but what else is being asked of us this year? Thank you in advance and hopefully I can get a great leftover position since most spots have been casted by now I bet.

After the group portion they have newcomers step up one by one to enact an ORIGINAL death scene, try to stand out from what other people are doing.

• Like 1

I don't know if this is true or not. I heard that people who get cast on the second week, are stationed on the street scare zones and people who are cast on the third week, are stationed in mazes. Is that how people get cast or is the casting random?

Edited by XNaut

3 hours ago, Ghostsarejerks said:

After the group portion they have newcomers step up one by one to enact an ORIGINAL death scene, try to stand out from what other people are doing.

Thanks for the reply. I'm having a creative block right now. Would you happen to know of any examples that people have used? Knowing how people have done it before will get my creative juices going I feel.

Well, talking to some of the veterans there, I heard that the judging panel enjoy funny deaths, like I know one guy pretended to give a seminar on gun safety and accidentally shot himself. I pretended to do a power lift that went horribly wrong. Maybe you could pretend to get angry at a vending machine that steals your money without giving you your treat so you shake it and it falls on you?

They do like funny deaths, also gruesome ones, basically any death where they can understand what is going on and it is wel acted. I saw quite a few during my audition this year where I had no idea what happened to them, and I saw 1 or 2 that were really good, one was funny and one was gruesome. A guy danced himself to death in a club.

Last year, for my first year audition, I mimed shooting an arrow, then did a double take as I watched the arrow magically fly around the room in a circle until it came back and shot me in the chest. I gave the judges a look of 'what the hell?!?' Then tried to pull the arrow out which was the gruesome part, once it popped out I collapsed from blood lose.

another suggestion is take your time. I saw so many people this year rush through their death and it was over in like 2 seconds. If your death is good, you can take (reasonably) as much time as you need. This is your one shot so have fun with it and show them something you're proud of!

15 hours ago, XNaut said:

I don't know if this is true or not. I heard that people who get cast on the second week, are stationed on the street scare zones and people who are cast on the third week, are stationed in mazes. Is that how people get cast or is the casting random?

It makes sense for the area's to be specifically cast first but I think that the emails go out at random. Just because you get yours first doesn't mean too much. 

I would say that funny deaths are good because they stand out. You aren't just doing what everyone else does. You are acting in a unique way that stands out in their mind. My best advice is to be different. Don't do what everyone else does because then you don't stand out. 

1 hour ago, LetsMakeBiskuts said:

They do like funny deaths, also gruesome ones, basically any death where they can understand what is going on and it is wel acted. I saw quite a few during my audition this year where I had no idea what happened to them, and I saw 1 or 2 that were really good, one was funny and one was gruesome. A guy danced himself to death in a club.

Last year, for my first year audition, I mimed shooting an arrow, then did a double take as I watched the arrow magically fly around the room in a circle until it came back and shot me in the chest. I gave the judges a look of 'what the hell?!?' Then tried to pull the arrow out which was the gruesome part, once it popped out I collapsed from blood lose.

another suggestion is take your time. I saw so many people this year rush through their death and it was over in like 2 seconds. If your death is good, you can take (reasonably) as much time as you need. This is your one shot so have fun with it and show them something you're proud of!

Totally seconding that you should take your time, most people in my group who made it had longer, more drawn out deaths while all those who didn't just pretended to be stabbed and fell over in a manner of seconds

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ghostsarejerks said:

Totally seconding that you should take your time, most people in my group who made it had longer, more drawn out deaths while all those who didn't just pretended to be stabbed and fell over in a manner of seconds

Yeah, take your time making it gruesome, don't just get stabbed and die, get stabbed and then scream, REACT! Show them the pain and try pulling the knife out of yourself or something that would make people squirm. Just an example of how you can make whatever you decide to do more convincing and gruesome. Scott and Jason like stuff like that.

Edited by LetsMakeBiskuts

10 minutes ago, KissARat said:

Same, nothing here. I hate this waiting game. 

Me too. This was me last year as well and I just kept waiting and waiting, to eventually hear back at the end of August that I didn't get cast :( Fingers crossed they let us know something soon!

• Like 1

I'm aware that the roles we are playing as are union positions and are covered by an agreement between Universal Studios and American Guild of Variety Artists (AGVA). Once when we start work, do we have to pay for an initiation fee? What happens if someone can't pay for the initiation fee?

27 minutes ago, XNaut said:

I'm aware that the roles we are playing as are union positions and are covered by an agreement between Universal Studios and American Guild of Variety Artists (AGVA). Once when we start work, do we have to pay for an initiation fee? What happens if someone can't pay for the initiation fee?

You only have to pay something like 72$ over the course of the run if you're seasonal, and it's taken from your pay checks in 3 parts.