Halloween Horror Nights - Hollywood 2015 Speculation

I'd be more excited for Freak Show, but that's just me. Insidious isn't all bad either. I'm thinking Insidious though, just because its so early in the year, so it'd make sense for Universal to pick an in-house property. I might be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the first codename announced is usually an original or Uni property. It'd be nice if someone looked back and checked on that.

• Like 1

The hint to the theme of this maze can be found in a song title of a band initially associated with the post punk musical movement...it was a catch all name for the music that followed the punk rock explosion of the 1970s...

Hint #1 One of the key members of this group shares one of my names...I have 4...technically.

So who wants to start that codename thread?

You said it exactly synopsis of this season of "A SHOW" Murdy is talking about reality for hint two. In reality human rights killed freak shows because it is cruel to abuse people because of deformity, besides he said one of the words in the title.

Grindhousehero13 is correct. Freak shows were not "killed" by technology. They have also been "reinvented". There are still "freak shows" today, and technology can't cause their extinction. Modern freak shows have a more "cirque" style. Body modifications are usually displayed. Sword swallowers, fire breathers, blockheads, contortionists. These are things that are either chosen (body modification) or learned by the performer. My daughter is currently in circus arts. The school she goes to teaches contortion, acrobatics, and aerial dance. I don't see modern technology making these new cirque style freak shows extinct.

But....

JGmoney1996 may be on a track that we should consider. We are all looking for actual things that technology could kill, what about ideas that are not things but actions?

Human interaction? In-person conversation?

Now for a thought that isn't very pleasing to me, but a connection my brain made anyways. Murdy stated this house will be announced in June. I realized the last house that was announced in June (last year) was TWD.

You said it exactly synopsis of this season of "A SHOW" Murdy is talking about reality for hint two. In reality human rights killed freak shows because it is cruel to abuse people because of deformity, besides he said one of the words in the title.

Which is why IF it is that (Still probably Insidious), that clue would be the partial carny trick.

BTW, Murdy hinted this may be his last year to me on Twitter.

Edited by JGmoney1996

What specifically did he say? He hints that a lot, it seems, but one of his recent tweets seemed to contradict that.

Firstly, he said the amount of years he'd work there he could count on his fingers. So that's 10 at the most. And this is the 10th year. I asked if this would be it for him and he said "I guess you'll just have to wait and see". In past years he's been much more willing to say "No, this isn't my last year" or "Probably not".

Quoted from above:

"I don't see modern technology making these new cirque style freak shows extinct.
But....
Freak shows were not "killed" by technology. They have also been "reinvented". There are still "freak shows" today, and technology can't cause their extinction. Modern freak shows have a more "cirque" style. Body modifications are usually displayed. Sword swallowers, fire breathers, blockheads, contortionists. These are things that are either chosen (body modification) or learned by the performer. My daughter is currently in circus arts. The school she goes to teaches contortion, acrobatics, and aerial dance. I don't see modern technology making these new cirque style freak shows extinct."

You really can't see how technology has had a direct negative impact on the type of live freak show shown in AHS as well as all live theatre performances in general over the past several decades? The impression I got from the show and from what I've seen on tv, when a show like this rolled into town, it was a big community event that many would show up and attend. By the time your children's children have children there will more than likely be virtual reality entertainment of unreal quality (holodeck?) and people won't leave their home unless going to work or going on vacation. Just like most things, there might be 1 powerhouse show that may still do tours, but I don't think there could be any small shows. It takes more and more to entertain people as time goes on... If given the choice of holodeck in the comfort of your home after work or paying for tickets and traveling to see Freaks, I think it would be a fairly one sided decision.

Whether or not the clue applies to AHS is another story, I can't say because I haven't done any homework yet.

Edited by ThNdIzNiR

"well my initial number was...10. So after this year wraps up I'll make some decisions." - Murdy on how many years he wants to do this job.

Looks like my guess on that was right a while back. I'm surprised he came right out and said it. If this is his last year, let's go out with a BANG Murdy! :)

Hmm... Not sure if it's a good or bad thing that John said he considered The Evil Within. Did he say he has everything locked in yet or are things still happening?

Edit: By good or bad, I mean good, he considered it, maybe he liked it, or bad, he considered it and disliked it.

Edited by deliciousoatmeal

FVJ seems unlikely because of the the NLC rights situation. They can't be in the same maze.

The Exorcist may be a small possibility if Murdy has fought horrificly for the rights to it knowing it's (possibly) his last year.

Trick 'r Treat is something I think may end up happening despite the sequel getting bumped. Legendary and Universal are one now. They can promote Krampus like how they promoted Lords of Salem with a little sign at the end of HoTC in 2011. High awareness isn't quite as big of an issue since AWiL, a low-awareness property, has become the fan-favorite. Hellraiser could even be a possibility.

• Like 1

You really can't see how technology has had a direct negative impact on the type of live freak show shown in AHS as well as all live theatre performances in general over the past several decades? The impression I got from the show and from what I've seen on tv, when a show like this rolled into town, it was a big community event that many would show up and attend. By the time your children's children have children there will more than likely be virtual reality entertainment of unreal quality (holodeck?) and people won't leave their home unless going to work or going on vacation. Just like most things, there might be 1 powerhouse show that may still do tours, but I don't think there could be any small shows. It takes more and more to entertain people as time goes on... If given the choice of holodeck in the comfort of your home after work or paying for tickets and traveling to see Freaks, I think it would be a fairly one sided decision.

Whether or not the clue applies to AHS is another story, I can't say because I haven't done any homework yet.

As Grindhouse has pointed out, the reality is that freak shows were not lost due to technology. They were lost due to the human rights movement. (In their initial form)

Do I believe at home entertainment will eventually destroy live entertainment? That's harder to say, and depends on societal reactions and dynamics. Broadway and live theater aren't dead and haven't been destroyed by modern technology. Money is still donated to the arts. People still go to plays and live shows. They are a different form of entertainment that holograms couldn't completely recreate. The radio didn't kill live concerts. Neither did video or MP3s. Being able to "participate" in a group setting differentiates a virtual experience from a live experience. There is this continued theme in many futuristic stories of how humans will give into technology and become solitary creatures that do not interact with other humans in person.

It is possible Murdy is hinting at this possibility, but I feel the social needs of humans (emotional/psychological) prohibit this type of future.

It is why I suggested human interaction as a potential to what Murdy is suggesting for the theme of the maze, but I do not honestly believe it is a definitive potential.

• Like 1

Let's just agree that real live events may/may not have away because of technology. What is definitive is that A: The plot of AHS 4 is TV killing the Freakshow (or so I've heard) and B: Letters are being killed by email. As for the human interaction thing, I'm not seeing a way that ties into a maze, but it's a good point. My money is on Insidious still.

Edited by deliciousoatmeal

As Grindhouse has pointed out, the reality is that freak shows were not lost due to technology. They were lost due to the human rights movement. (In their initial form)

Broadway and live theater aren't dead and haven't been destroyed by modern technology. Money is still donated to the arts. People still go to plays and live shows. They are a different form of entertainment that holograms couldn't completely recreate.

The live shows aren't dead yet... thankfully. But think of it this way. Some time ago, a live show was one of the only forms of entertainment that really existed. The population was significantly smaller and I bet most of the people who had the means to check these shows out most likely did. Today, we have many more people. Of all those people, how much time is spent either watching tv/movies, playing video games, surfing the web, or messing around with their ipod or iphone? All the hours eaten up by technology is in essence killing the live shows. Imagine (and this is a big one) if instead of using all these electrical devices, everyone went out to a show every night. Just writing it seems so fictional I feel funny even doing it.

What is scary is when I see movie advertisements for live operas. Who watches an opera on tv and enjoys it?

But anyways, I still need to do my homework regarding the clues. Sorry if you think I'm ranting. The whole underlying theme of what technology has done to people kinda pushes my buttons sometimes. I think they could probably make a house about people looking down at their phone dying in various fashions.

Firstly, he said the amount of years he'd work there he could count on his fingers. So that's 10 at the most. And this is the 10th year. I asked if this would be it for him and he said "I guess you'll just have to wait and see". In past years he's been much more willing to say "No, this isn't my last year" or "Probably not".

that is what I was thinking.

"You wanted ghostface here he is! now here is a maze full of F'en zombies!!!!!!" "Scream 4 Ur Life: One and you're done!"

The Romantics Talking in Your Sleep has come to mind as a possibility for the Post-Punk song title, but may not fit hint #2. (I've read to "full names" for Mr. Murdy. One had Michael and the other had Robert. One I read here and the other was on Twitter. The rest of the names were the same. It it's Michael, then this fits all of the hints.

Then the OMG!! moment. Something that modern technology is killing, that may go extinct one day.

While looking for possible titles, I come across The B-52s song Legal Tender. Legal tender is coins or banknotes. Cash. Technology is indeed "killing" cash. Any other songs that may reference cash in their title? It could just be money that's in the title.

(As a previous teller, I find myself rather upset that I didn't consider this possibility before).