Halloween Horror Nights 24 Discussion

JDW

Wow, you seem to have..... analyzed this critically! I believe that OC brings in some fans that IP's still would not, and while it is true that IP's bring more in, I don't think it would normally cause a huge dip (10-15%) in attendance, to add in to what you were saying. Good work, critical analysis!

The puns are strong in this one xD

• Like 1

I've had time to think about this sentence. You're not correct.

http://stateofworkingamerica.org/great-recession/

The recession started December 2007 (after HHN '07), had its large economic impact mid '08 (driving down attendance for HHN '08), and then ended June '09 (before HHN '09). That's what caused it - NOT the original content.

You're likely spot on. I fully realize the myriad of external factors that can impact the event. But you have to look at how Universal management will view it. During a recession, a publicly-traded business has to react. The problem is that they have very few things they can actually control. In the case of Universal with HHN, they can control the type of houses that are presented. It's unfortunate that an Original-heavy year that was sandwiched two IP-heavy years hit a recession, because it gives a negative implication. It's a great example of the causation/correlation debate, but that's not a debate businesses cannot financially afford to get involved in. Financially, they see a marked improvement between "IP Years" and "Original Years." That's what they can control, so that's how they respond.

It gets even murkier when you think about what the IPs are now doing for the event. It's been a long time since they extended hours during a run, and never for as many nights as they've done this year. The media blitz for the event on both parks is now noticeably bigger (IGN never covered HHN before TWD). The synergy between all arms of Com/BC/Universal is at an all-time high (and is dangerously efficient). The recent success of the event will "prove" the theory, and will lead to the continued practice.

The recession may have impacted it, but that's not Universal management will see.

• Like 2

Doesn't obtaining IP's cost a lot of money and time? My thoughts on this is that if they do more original concepts they would save money that way. Does this make sense to anyone else? I lost my train of thought xD

Depends on the IP. But if the attendance increases because of them, then it's worth it. Also, it saves a lot of man-hours because a majority of the necessary research is done. A&D has to build, massage and adapt; steps are necessary in all houses they build. The sell of the vision is easier though.

Also, it frees up A&D because Legal does a good portion of the work. A&D just builds a pitch.

• Like 1

That makes sense. I never thought about the legal team doing the work on getting the IP. But the cost is staggering I would imagine to obtain.

Again, it depends. And it's all contextual. The six-figures TWD likely cost is a small amount to Universal comparatively to the rest of the event, and is impossible for most other haunts.

• Like 1

I've had time to think about this sentence. You're not correct.

http://stateofworkingamerica.org/great-recession/

The recession started December 2007 (after HHN '07), had its large economic impact mid '08 (driving down attendance for HHN '08), and then ended June '09 (before HHN '09). That's what caused it - NOT the original content.

well you can even see it this year, the big 3 ip houses get 1 hour lines really fast. The originals stay at 20 minutes until like 7:30 or later. and then when the IP houses are at 1 hour and a half, the originals are at 45 minutes.

If you see it like that, it would be pretty obvious to them at Universal to see how the more IPs you get into the park the more people will want to see it.

seems like the original houses are the ones everyone does AFTER they were done with the big IP ones.

Edited by clash

You're likely spot on. I fully realize the myriad of external factors that can impact the event. But you have to look at how Universal management will view it. During a recession, a publicly-traded business has to react. The problem is that they have very few things they can actually control. In the case of Universal with HHN, they can control the type of houses that are presented. It's unfortunate that an Original-heavy year that was sandwiched two IP-heavy years hit a recession, because it gives a negative implication. It's a great example of the causation/correlation debate, but that's not a debate businesses cannot financially afford to get involved in. Financially, they see a marked improvement between "IP Years" and "Original Years." That's what they can control, so that's how they respond.

It gets even murkier when you think about what the IPs are now doing for the event. It's been a long time since they extended hours during a run, and never for as many nights as they've done this year. The media blitz for the event on both parks is now noticeably bigger (IGN never covered HHN before TWD). The synergy between all arms of Com/BC/Universal is at an all-time high (and is dangerously efficient). The recent success of the event will "prove" the theory, and will lead to the continued practice.

The recession may have impacted it, but that's not Universal management will see.

Such a shame. The event - honestly - used to be a lot better. Sure, it's nice to see Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, etc. Without getting back into it, a lot of board members here, scareactors, and Creative members agree the first X number of years were better. I definitely see your POV which explains what management is seeing. They're also going to continue to want to do the 5/3 split for as long as possible. If I can concede, it makes some sense because they're guaranteed to bring in guests. But, I would strongly argue the event would STILL bring in the same number of guests. The event was put on the map and grew because of the first X years. I still hear conversations of people saying they're glad to experience IPs, but the original content can be far more interesting. Even thinking about Dead End, Winter's Night, Legendary Truth - a few GORGEOUS houses from recent years - let's be honest, those houses are far better in times of set design than Halloween is. But, it's nice to see Michael Myers, so that'll give it a few points. American Werewolf was a great house, probably among legendary status, for the event.

It's tough. I really hope original content gets a bit of a boost and it goes to a 4/4 split. After all, the fifth houses - Dracula, arguably, this year - were horrible. That budget is a lot better spent elsewhere. If they give management FREE reign on the 4 original houses, scarezones, and more innovative scares like they used to, I'd "settle" with the IPs.

• Like 1

Such a shame. The event - honestly - used to be a lot better. Sure, it's nice to see Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, etc. Without getting back into it, a lot of board members here, scareactors, and Creative members agree the first X number of years were better. I definitely see your POV which explains what management is seeing. They're also going to continue to want to do the 5/3 split for as long as possible. If I can concede, it makes some sense because they're guaranteed to bring in guests. But, I would strongly argue the event would STILL bring in the same number of guests. The event was put on the map and grew because of the first X years. I still hear conversations of people saying they're glad to experience IPs, but the original content can be far more interesting. Even thinking about Dead End, Winter's Night, Legendary Truth - a few GORGEOUS houses from recent years - let's be honest, those houses are far better in times of set design than Halloween is. But, it's nice to see Michael Myers, so that'll give it a few points. American Werewolf was a great house, probably among legendary status, for the event.

It's tough. I really hope original content gets a bit of a boost and it goes to a 4/4 split. After all, the fifth houses - Dracula, arguably, this year - were horrible. That budget is a lot better spent elsewhere. If they give management FREE reign on the 4 original houses, scarezones, and more innovative scares like they used to, I'd "settle" with the IPs.

I think the change happened when the team members from Hollywood came to FL to wok on the event. maybe I am wrong but I remember seeing on FB how some of them were coming over here, and I remember the event feeling different after that. having both events being done similar was not really for the best. Even some of their houses are becoming a lot better now, Look at Dracula, their house is much stronger

I think the change happened when the team members from Hollywood came to FL to wok on the event. maybe I am wrong but I remember seeing on FB how some of them were coming over here, and I remember the event feeling different after that. having both events being done similar was not really for the best. Even some of their houses are becoming a lot better now, Look at Dracula, their house is much stronger

Perhaps. I'm still curious what happened to Kenny and Michael. Anyone know why they left Orlando?

Perhaps. I'm still curious what happened to Kenny and Michael. Anyone know why they left Orlando?

Kenny was justifiably fired because of a poor decision that stemmed from an "Old Guard" mentality. J. Michael Roddy was let go for much more complicated reasons. Let's chalk that one up to "Creative Differences."

Did anyone else get the 'What people are saying about HHN 24' email?

Based upon this quote included in the email: "Halloween and The Walking Dead houses were my favorite. I cried and screamed in both lol. Loved it!!" and the fact that they have questions about TWD returning on their survey, I would guess we will get another year of TWD.

• Like 1

Crowds were very manageable last night. Least crowded I've seen it this season - at least on FFP nights. TWD was at 90 minutes at 6:30p then said 60 every other time I walked by. Roanoke and DOTD stayed around 5-10 minutes most of the night. DOTD increased slightly around 9:30p. No changes made, yet, to the end of TWD.

• Like 1

yeah crowds overall were great. got DOTD, roanoke, halloween, giggles, and dracula done in 5-10 minutes. AVP and FDTD were like 20 minutes. saw TWD say 60 and 90 some throughout the night, but when i did it said 45 but really only waited 30 mins. got all houses done, ate at simpsons, and saw B&T all done by like 10:20.

Yeah last night was kind of amazing... I ended up getting to go through 13 houses, see RHPS and B&T, and ride a few rides (although I would have picked to go through more houses instead)... I'm pretty sure a night like last night will not be happening again this year.

Yeah last night was kind of amazing... I ended up getting to go through 13 houses, see RHPS and B&T, and ride a few rides (although I would have picked to go through more houses instead)... I'm pretty sure a night like last night will not be happening again this year.

Maybe next Wednesday? xD