Dracula Untold: Reign of Blood

JDW

I should probably clarify my original assessment:

My unhappiness does not lie within this being selected for a house or a lack a scares or horror material for this house.

My unhappiness lies solely with the movie trailer (the only thing I have to go on at the moment) not because it is action or not scary enough, but because it appears to be whitewashing a historically psychotic mass murder.

Should I be able to separate "fictional" Tepes from historical Tepes? Yes. But... They appear to be marketing this as historical Tepes, and I really doubt they will give us the man who killed catholic clergy because the clergy had the "audacity" to state he wouldn't be canonized.

Vlad Tepes (the true historical figure) was a psychotic human monster. I'm having difficulty separating that from the ideal proposed in the trailer.

• Like 1

I am really hopeful for a lot of Gothic and Dracula: Legacy of Blood elements in this house but the trailer really doesn't give me that vibe, not that HHN can't twist it enough and make it like those houses but I just don't get that vibe. Obviously we will see when it gets here but the trailer highlights to me a lot of large plains, cliffs, a cave and the city none of which remind me of Gothic and D:LOB. Like I said I am hopeful and think if it recreates those houses in a sense then I think we have a great house potentially in our hands. Also I too wonder how they will incorporate the hordes of bats that look like the movie signature and come crashing down on armies and etc.

High hopes and such for house .... still not much for the movie itself lol.

I'm assuming Dracula' s castle, the cave scene, some kind of scene dealing with baba yagga, something to do with the bats finale, something to do with impaling... and 7 more. I have not (nor has anyone really) heard anything more setwise or storywise.

I know that the scenery will be great and as for the scareactors that's for me to decide not now but on the days that I'll be going. Hopefully I'll be there on the days when all of the casts are at their best and most frightening. I will say though that the only thing I'll have LOW expectations on is the "flying bats" scene, if they even have. Yes, I hope they'll have scareactors in the room dressed as bats with a projection of Vlad's flying bats playing on the walls, which is similar to the forest scene in the Evil Dead house last year, along with some bats hanging on the roof like the Vaseline-covered vines and cables in past houses. But To be honest with you guys I'm comparing this possible scene to the "Pause room" in Resident Evil, where we thought it would something more (SAs in "pause" position) but it was just 2 static character props. Now don't get me wrong, I expect good things of this house, but it's just that one scene i won't expect.

PS. Was there ever a post/thread that had the criteria on judging HOTY? I could swear I remember seeing it before. This talk of HOTY makes me want to review it again. If there was can someone send me a link to the thread or post? You don't have to PM it to me you could just post it here as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is my least anticipated house this year....

That tends to be the case with most people; however, I still think this house could be pretty cool! I haven't seen the movie, not even any trailers for it, but if the HHN crew decided that an unreleased movie could make a good house, then I bet it'll be a pretty good house.

Yeah, i had a feeling its going to be a lot like Gothic in style. I actually loved that house and it was a close second to Dead End for me. But I'm really excited for this house even if I know nothing about the movie settings. Can't beat a Dracula house, especially if it is supposed to be historically accurate. I'm all down for a little history lesson. Also kind of concerned about it being more of an action than a horror movie but I have faith that Universal will make it work. Have faith people :P

That would make sense since it's the origin story. From the trailer I would wager that most of the house would be in the cave if I'm not mistaken.

I'm fairly certain it will just start in the cave, move to the village, then in to the war/battle aspects in front of the castle and end with Dracula's "final form" in the castle itself. In fact, looking at the soundstage photo, I would suspect the organ-esque/stained-glass wall in the top right is the final room (blackout curtains and sunlight are a big give away).

• Like 1

I'd say this house is closer in tone to a cross between Dracula/Frankenstein from 2009 and The Forsaken from 2011.

I'd agree... but throw in a little wolfman instead of Forsaken. I just wish I knew what the heck was supposed to be going on. I thought Babba Yagga's scene was the best. Very disturbing. Otherwise I must have missed every scare and I missed the bat effect. (was a white wall)

• 2 weeks later...