Halloween Horror Nights 24 Speculation

tumblr_m0hjyiHrLU1qdvraco1_500.gif

I actually think they did really well with The Thing reboot. The maze was awesome!

What an awful movie.... the CGI was pretty horrible. I don't know what Uni was thinking. (The house was better than the movie was actually, I only have fond memories of the house)

Doomsday was literally a waste of space. And the movie wasn't even a horror movie, They might as well do Mad Max as a house next time ( same thing but better IP) that Was the worst ip we've had.

As for Dracula, I don't mind the house and it might be good. But what I don't like is how they gave Halloween a tent. I know Poe was great and tent houses are not necessarily bad but It's just not the same, and I'm still not too thrilled about it specially if Dracula is on a stage.

mystiquephreeq...

I assume when you say, "first Dracula based movie done in several years", you mean done by Universal? If not, that statement would be incorrect.

Dracula 3d (2013), Dracula Reborn (2012), Terror of Dracula (2012), Saint Dracula 3d (2012) and although not a movie... 1 season of NBC's Dracula which is now cancelled, just to name a few without even digging.

Like a few others mentioned, the idea that a movie of this scale (which has been in the making for 7 or so years) doesn't even have a viewable trailer 4 months before it's theatrical release is a little concerning to me under these circumstances.

I'd like to know what the people think of a house being used as mainly a marketing trailer for new movies instead of catering to what the fans would prefer to see. Is this going to be a new recipe for HHN? A situation where every year we get TWD and a house based on a movie that they want to advertise...

I'm not a huge fan of From Dusk Till Dawn. I watched it once or twice when it came out and thought it was fairly decent. I know there are plenty of fans who love that movie though. So, regardless if it is a vampire movie, I can easily understand why they'd possibly use it for a house. It's been years since I've watched it, so I'd probably watch it again to prepare me for what they'd have in store for me. To me, that is one of the best parts of the HHN experience. Is From Dusk Till Dawn still on the table?

Edited by ThNdIzNiR
  • Like 1

It's not a "new" methodology. They did it with Wolfman. They did it with The Thing. And nothing has been announced yet. In fact, part of me expects the trailer to released with the house announcement.

Edited by Legacy
  • Like 4

I don't see a Dracula Untold maze as a bad thing. I can understand that it seems based on marketing, but whether it is or not, it could turn out to be really fun. Maybe the movie will turn out to be a flop, but that doesn't mean that the maze will flop as well. I don't think I've ever walked through a maze and said "Wow. That really sucked!" I don't feel like this film looks like it fits the vampire genre (looking at the poster), but that's because it's apparently an origin story which will have creatures other than vampires, and if a movie is filled with all kinds of different horrific creatures, It's maze worthy to me. The Wolfman movie was a flop, but the maze may have been one of my top 10 favorites. We should be speculating the maze, not the movie itself.

Edited by JackTheREAPER
  • Like 1

I really hope that we didnt lose an original concept for From Dusk til Dawn... Not hating on the movie in fact I quite enjoy the movie. But if we were to lose an original house for and IP I really do wish it would be KKFOS, it would seem it would be easier for them to create that house and the property has always been one of my favorite movies, I believe FDTD could potentially end up being an entertaining maze but in my opinion I wouldn't care for it as much.

mystiquephreeq...

I assume when you say, "first Dracula based movie done in several years", you mean done by Universal? If not, that statement would be incorrect.

Like a few others mentioned, the idea that a movie of this scale (which has been in the making for 7 or so years) doesn't even have a viewable trailer 4 months before it's theatrical release is a little concerning to me under these circumstances.

Correct! I mean by Universal. Which has a very important history with the character. Dracula helped build the studios. Rebooting his story with an origin tale is a big deal for them.

I can't say anything about trailers. I haven't been to see a movie since the last Harry Potter was released and am completely out of the loop regarding release dates. Unfortunately, small children make movie going a rare opportunity, especially when you prefer horror films. Also, if a trailer doesn't appear on Nick, Sprout, Disney, or PBS, I will most likely never see it.

Something I'm more familiar with.

It's definitely not new methodology. They just usually promoted DVD releases.

The Mummy and The Mummy Returns in 99 and 2001, respectively.

Dead Silence in 2007. The movie flopped but they still promoted the DVD release. (Definitely not something the fans were asking for.)

Doomsday in 2008. Again the movie flopped but they promoted it. (Apparently something the fans didn't want and I'm in the small minority who enjoyed the house. I suppose fancy peacock helped.)

As Jeff points out, Wolfman and The Thing were mostly marketing opportunities.

It's unsurprising and a good business move. Just as I can grudgingly admit that TWD is a good marketing move, I can admit Dracula Untold is a good business decision.

The big names pull in the crowds. AvP, Halloween, and TWD. The originals cater to the fans. How can I begrudge Universal a chance at making wise business decisions regarding their actual films?

I, personally, look forward to an adaption that looks more toward the historical character. I find Vlad fascinating. Also, a house based upon a historical figure will be fascinating. It's rare that a historical mass murder and despot can be explored inside a mainstream haunted event.

I'm going by supposition regarding this particular origin story, but I truly hope the ydeal with the real man behind Stoker's inspiration.

*points to HHN 15*

coughDemonCantinacough

EDIT: that's what I get for writing a novel for a reply. ghostdude beat me to it!

And regarding ratings, when one wonders why an IP isn't used, one should consider whether those who own the rights to the IP are willing to accept Universal's PG13 rating scale for the houses.

Edited by mystiquephreeq
  • Like 2

C'mon... The Walking Dead is the best horror show on television (probably ever). It is also currently the only zombie related show on tv that I'm aware of. I've seen enough vampires on tv, in books, and basically everywhere else to not want to see them used as an ip at HHN too. There is a bunch of zombie stuff around too, but I don't feel like it is jammed down my throat as much as vampires have been the past couple decades. Last year what they did at HHN in regards to TWD was a mistake, but honestly, I wouldn't care if they did 1 house a year for each season forever as long as it was good.

While I can agree that TWD is a HUGE current property that will help to bring in lots of general public, but best horror show possibly ever? HAHAHAHA

The Walking Dead hasn't been anywhere close to the best since Season 1. As for the ever part of that? Let me point you to a little thing called THE TWILIGHT ZONE. That show did horror better than TWD ever could.

Hell, Showtime's Penny Dreadful is a new horror show that's already better than Walking Dead in a lot of aspects. I'd love to see that show join AHS at the event next year.

If the Twilight Zone is the best ever, why isn't it on anymore? Why doesn't it have roughly 15-16 million people watching it? I bet when they do those marathons occasionally late at night, they must blow the ratings out of the water.

The shows aren't the same anyways. One is a compilation of relatively short horror stories, which anyone could do, while the other is an ongoing series which is significantly harder to keep people watching each week.

If the Twilight Zone is the best ever, why isn't it on anymore? Why doesn't it have roughly 15-16 million people watching it? I bet when they do those marathons occasionally late at night, they must blow the ratings out of the water.

The shows aren't the same anyways. One is a compilation of relatively short horror stories, which anyone could do, while the other is an ongoing series which is significantly harder to keep people watching each week.

Popularity doesn't attest to quality. If it did Justin Bieber would be one of the best singers ever.

The WD TV show is a disgrace to the franchise and doesn't hold a candle to the game or comic. Remember season 2 where they looked for the girl for 6 episodes?

Edited by UniversalStudiosGeek

If anyone can do short collections of horror stories on TV, then how come the original Twilight Zone is the only one to do it well?

As UniversalStudiosGeek said...something getting a lot of viewers and attention doesn't mean it's good.

The series has spawned multiple television series (including the original run), a fairly successful film, books, theme park attractions, and various other media. I wouldn't sell the series short

So has The Walking Dead.

Well... No crap is doesn't hold a candle to the comic. There are limitations that won't allow the show to be as good as it could be because it is on regular tv. There's no point debating this here. The fact that you are making a comparison between the popularity of The Walking Dead with that of Justin Bieber shows where your head is at.

If the show wasn't good, it would lose viewership, not gain.

For the amount of work and cash needed to pull it off for today's audience, it probably wouldn't be a worthwhile investment for any studio to make a series like The Twilight Zone. If I had to guess, that is most likely the reason why there hasn't been anything similar.

There was Tales from the Crypt a while back, or was that not up to your horror standards either?

Edited by ThNdIzNiR
  • Like 1

No one said TWD was bad...at least I didn't. Obviously TWD is more popular. I'm just curious because It seems like you're suggesting that The Twilight Zone has made little of a significant impact, although it has been completely milked and spanned successfully into multiple media outlets since it's premiere in 1959.

Edited by Ridesandstuff

I wasn't comparing TWD to Justin Bieber (How could I compare a zombie tv show to a pop singer???). I was using a parallel to show your logic is flawed.

What's better? Zombie soap opera or groundbreaking anthology horror series?

Anyways, someone posted 7 pics as a clue for each maze. One of them has a native american. What could that mean.. Voodoo house? Poltergeist?

Edited by UniversalStudiosGeek

I'm not saying that The Twilight Zone didn't have an impact. What I was pointing out is that it's time has passed (at least for now). More people are interested in knowing what is going to happen on The Walking Dead season 5. And I hate to break it to you, but The Walking Dead is also a groundbreaking series. The Twilight Zone also wasn't totally horror based either.

Which Native American picture?

Edited by ThNdIzNiR

I should also mention that the Twilight zone is so popular that it basically spawned another series called "the outer limits" which itself was resurrected in the same way Twilight zone was.

Also, whether a show is good or not guarantee it runs forever. Stories have an ending, sometimes shows get canceled due to the fact that they take too much money to produce, sometimes people drop dead, people quit. I wouldn't say TWD is immune to this either, since they can't even keep down a show runner.

Since when did our spec thread become about the finer points of art and cinematic theory?

• Like 1

As long as the show is making all the parties involved enough money, the show will go on. In order for it to make money, it needs fans. Clearly it has an abundance of that since Universal was willing to bring back the series for a 3rd straight year. More groundbreaking for ya!

The Walking Dead is also already in the works of having a spinoff as well.

But enough about The Walking Dead... we already know we're getting that 1.

So, are we getting 4 or 5 ips?

Edited by ThNdIzNiR

so far we don't know anything about the dracula movie do we? are there a lot of vampires? is Dracula the only one? is he even a vampire in the movie?
I see some people talk about other monsters that might be used for the house, so the movie will have other creatures? For all we know this house might end up having all kinds of crazy creatures in it

I'm just going off what the scource said, don't shoot the messenger. (Especially when I said "If that's the case" on that situation.)

That's my theory too. Earlier Legacy said he was hearing "crazy whispers" so calling you crazy means, based on his current information, you are right in saying that we are getting a FDTD house.

• Like 1