El Cucuy: The Boogeyman [Reveiw]

Grindhousehero13

What's the point of it being a live actor if she's gunna sit there with a tube running along her face not scaring anyone? They do it in movies because you're only filming from one angle, a house is a live experience where a tube tapped to someone's face isn't very practical and would most likely be very obvious.

The point is she turns her head and then wets the audience. Also seen in the Orlando version, it gives them the opportunity to get up and scare. That's almost like saying, "what's the point of the girl being thrown up on being a real person if she's just laying there?"

It being a very horrible dummy is way more noticeable then a tube on someones face. And considering this is the same place where the maze across the way has fake dummies sitting at a seance table in the very second scene, the tube would be a blessing.

The point is she turns her head and then wets the audience. Also seen in the Orlando version, it gives them the opportunity to get up and scare. That's almost like saying, "what's the point of the girl being thrown up on being a real person if she's just laying there?"

It being a very horrible dummy is way more noticeable then a tube on someones face. And considering this is the same place where the maze across the way has fake dummies sitting at a seance table in the very second scene, the tube would be a blessing.

I can't really agree with this. Would I rather have a live actor? Yes. But I'd rather them not have them wearing a tube attached to their face running around which would be very problematic. The kinks in the hose throuought the night causing the effect not to work, the hose leaving a trail wherever she goes which would be a safty hazard. I just can't wrap my head around it.

well if you remember, in the maze they're kinda in a slot in a wall. So if she stayed in the boo-hole area, the hose would never go out onto the walk way. There are hoses that can stay stiff enough to not be wrapped up, kinked, or wander also, so that would solve multiple problems right there. If not a stiffer tube, then a plastic covering that aligned the ground and kept the tube from withering (not keeping it down completely so it can't move at all) could work also

Personally I don't think she needs to get up. Also, if I had to choose, id rather have the victim be the dummy. In my head, I see the scene as she's throwing up, hits a trigger scare and turns her head onto the audience while slightly kneeling up. Utilizing the water gag with the strobes would be a neat effect, I think. And then she goes back to throwing up on the victim and repeat.

The puking Mia is the one that bothers me the least. The ones I think look even worse and can EASILY be a real person is the one in the begginng after the tree rape scene that's just standing there in the forest (that appears with a strobe) and the "gliding" Mia in the basement. Oh and the cellar one. Lol

Picky, very picky haha. I loved this maze and didn't have a problem with the dummies. A scareactor under the cellar door would of been nice but overall I didn't feel like the dummies ruined the whole maze.

Also the "gliding" Mia, if that was a live actor couldn't it possibly be a safety issue? I mean if the scareactor glides and loses his/her balance and goes face first into the little wooden bridge rail, that would be a mess.

Edited by TeenagerFromMars

SPOILERS YALL.

Alright, you all know that giant black hallway that had nothing in it? They have two ushers in there directing traffic with those orange cone things. Except one of those ushers will from time to time move the orange glowing thing to show that he's El Cucuy. So you go from being aware that somebody is there but it's just an usher to having El Cucuy dressed as a maze usher a few inches from your face. It also fits the theme of El Cucuy assuming the form of people you trust, even people that you as a maze patron are trusting.

Yeah, trees would have been nice.

In a close quarters maze situation that scare works better since El Cucuy's face is the only thing lit up in the entire room and he's right there. You go from not knowing El Cucuy is there to only being able to see El Cucuy in one second.

SPOILERS YALL.

Alright, you all know that giant black hallway that had nothing in it? They have two ushers in there directing traffic with those orange cone things. Except one of those ushers will from time to time move the orange glowing thing to show that he's El Cucuy. So you go from being aware that somebody is there but it's just an usher to having El Cucuy dressed as a maze usher a few inches from your face. It also fits the theme of El Cucuy assuming the form of people you trust, even people that you as a maze patron are trusting.

Sounds cool! Atleast they did something with that area!

• 2 weeks later...

I think my experience was marred by the two Tea Party idiots in front of us that kept complaining about how much they hated the maze and there shouldn't be a Mexican maze in 'Merica. The people running the maze also let a woman with that group bring her cup of coffee into the maze and I was more afraid of her spilling it on me than anything else in the maze.

The Danny Trejo narration was great, but I think the maze was confusing to my group. None of us really knew the legend and the 4 signs they placed in the queue didn't explain much.

• Like 1

This maze has gone through a lot of improvements since opening day (And I went as a guest on Opening day and enjoyed it then. It's even better now).

If you haven't gone in a while or haven't at all. I suggest getting that shit done. :D

(In my personal opinion, it's surpassed Insidious [and every other maze this year, for that matter] in scare-factor).