El Cucuy: The Boogeyman [Reveiw]

Grindhousehero13

I had a whole review written and it got eaten. Bummer. Anyway, this was my first maze of the night and I'm happy to report that it's awesome. The facade is unassuming and unimpressive, but that's okay. The birthday massacre scene is gorgeous and gorey and wonderful, as is the trophy room Murdy mentioned on Twitter. There are a couple of scenes that aren't covered by the tent, so it's better to go through when the sun is completely down. Otherwise, the effects are a little ruined. A big point of confusion is the line. The entrance is next to the Purge/fire towers, but it's rather small and I saw a lot of people get lost looking for it. Overall: 7/10

I think there might be a chance that John will replace it with the cool puppet thing.

There are no changes to the maze in terms of the ending -- the final scare, the hole in the wall, is manned by a scareactor with a trigger.

Do you know why it was removed?

Do you know why it was removed?

To be honest, I never even realized it was supposed to be animatronic. We don't have anyone cast to operate it. It's possible the concept art is just confusing, because that technically is the scare (Cucuy popping out of the den).

This maze neeeeeeeeds a good final scare. I mean cmooooon. Its almost like they did it backwards with LL. Cucuy would be the one id imagine turning into a giant demon from hell chomping on kids, not the other way around. It'd be repetitive, but that was a giant creature, and I would understand cost saving in that sense. They should totally put it on the side of a building for a scarezone :-P

There's a part in this post that looks like I said LL Cucuy. New rap naaaaame! Lmao

I agree. Especially tree rape Mia. No resemblance to a human being at all.

Also when I tweeted him about that and why we didn't even get a real actress in the cellar , he said it wasn't possible due to the concrete floor. Wasn't Orlando's maze in a soundstage location where they shouldn't have been able to do that but still did? Lol

well to defend Murdy a bit this is what it seemed like to me from the Videos (so those of you who were there correct me if im wrong) the gliding Mia kinda looked like she was'nt fuctioning properly since she more poped out than glided it kinda looked like she got stuck going back in for a minute on one of sharp's videos.

that being said though Vomting Mia should of been an actor I mean we have had vomiting characters before and they have always been actors

Welp, this has gone off topic. But to make matters worse, if the animatronics aren't even functioning properly, then don't make a maze primarily out of them?

Honestly, how hard would it be to remove the animatronic from the vomit scene, put someone real in there, and make them do the same thing. There's really no scenery in it, so you wouldn't lose anything... except money.

Back on topic. I liked El Cucuy. Just saying.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

that being said though Vomting Mia should of been an actor I mean we have had vomiting characters before and they have always been actors

But if they replaced vomiting Mia with a person, how would they "vomit" on the guests?! I think it's a pretty neat effect.

Back to topic, TBH, El Cucuy would be SO much better if it had more scareactors. The house is great, but there was just a lack of scareactors in my opinion :/

A hose connected to the side of an actor's mouth. It isn't hard at all. They do it in movies for every throw up scene (unless the actor is weird and decides to actually throw up or just spit up). And its not like hoses get hot, so long exposure shouldn't be a problem either. Also remember, its only for 30 mins at a time, then switch.

But yeah, sorry, OT, Cucuy's main faults are its lack of an ending and scarce actors AND boo-holes. Half of it seems like it was designed to be a Knotts maze by just placing actors in areas and letting them scare. Which isn't a bad thing, but at least populate the maze if that's the case.