Halloween Horror Nights 2013 Planning and Tips

Hey guys! First I wanna say thanks for all the information you guys have posted so far. Here's the run down. I will be doing the unthinkable...5 parks, 4 haunt events, 6 days! I basically plan on doing Howl-o-scream in Tampa, Knott's scary farms, Halloween horror nights Hollywood and Halloween horror nights Orlando on back to back respectively in that order from oct 10th- oct 15th. Here's were you guys come in...

Finding a hotel in Orlando is simple since they are sprawled across the entrance to universal Orlando. I have had a tough time finding something close to universal Hollywood. And since I am a walker (but im not dead hahaha) It would be nice to find a location close to the park as possible. Also, even though with a trip like this it seems im a Saudi millionaire but unfortunately I am not so money is an object...with that said, money wise, is the VIP experience worth it? I only have one night to do everything and reading what all it involves with the investigation it may hinder me from enjoying the park since its my first time on the west coast period (south Carolina here) and a difference of 100 dollars is pretty big to me just for dinner and 2 beers.

Any help, suggestions are greatly appreciated!

walking...bus. Im taking a shuttle from LAX to a knott's area hotel (the closet one I have found Is rodeway inn near main gate). Spend the day and night at knott's. The next day, oct 12th, take a shuttle bus or something to the universal area and the next day a shuttle back to LAX. I don't know the public transportation in the area. The reason I would like a hotel as close as possible is incase I have to walk back at 3 in the morning it wont be that long of a walk.

Hey guys! First I wanna say thanks for all the information you guys have posted so far. Here's the run down. I will be doing the unthinkable...5 parks, 4 haunt events, 6 days! I basically plan on doing Howl-o-scream in Tampa, Knott's scary farms, Halloween horror nights Hollywood and Halloween horror nights Orlando on back to back respectively in that order from oct 10th- oct 15th. Here's were you guys come in... Finding a hotel in Orlando is simple since they are sprawled across the entrance to universal Orlando. I have had a tough time finding something close to universal Hollywood. And since I am a walker (but im not dead hahaha) It would be nice to find a location close to the park as possible. Also, even though with a trip like this it seems im a Saudi millionaire but unfortunately I am not so money is an object...with that said, money wise, is the VIP experience worth it? I only have one night to do everything and reading what all it involves with the investigation it may hinder me from enjoying the park since its my first time on the west coast period (south Carolina here) and a difference of 100 dollars is pretty big to me just for dinner and 2 beers. Any help, suggestions are greatly appreciated!
For a hotel near Universal, there is a Hilton pretty close but might be expensive. As for VIP I highly recommend it there's: Unlimited Front of Line, Dinner Buffet, free beverages, Exclusive Seating for B&T, and a Tour based on Insidious for VIPs only.

I'm doing Evil Dead, Transformers, and then the tram. Should take a total of 15-20 mins and it still should be moderately empty down there.

My guess is the GP will spread out like this right at the opening:

40 percent - Terror Tram

20 percent - El Cucuy

10 percent - UMR

30 percent - Lower Lot (15 Evil Dead, Insidious) (15 Backlot Tram, Transformers).

Edited by DTH316
  • Like 1

Not always. Doesn't stop people from lining up for it either way though haha.

Also people line up for the first Bill and Ted. I also forgot about Simpsons, which instantly gets a 20 min line at opening somehow so I guess people are rushing to it. Very small percent going to Mummy and JP... I think I'll redo the list to be more accurate.

I would say since Evil Dead exits into the Tranformer's queue go into Evil Dead first then into Tranformers then head to DOA..

so this is a ruff draft of my plan and I will tweek it as the event goes on depending on how everything goes

1. Head to the lower lot go to Insidious first

2. Jurassic Park

3. Evil Dead

4. Transformers The Ride

5. Backlot Ride To Walking Dead

6. Black Sabbath

7. Quick bite in Dead on Arrival (No pun intended)

8. back to Lower depending on time and wait The Mummy (willing to let this go if we have to)

9/10 Terror Tram or El Cucuy (which one is first is again based on wait and times)

11, UMR

12. The Last showing of Bill and Ted and A little shoping while we wait.

Stand Around in the Scarezones - 3%
Shop - 4%
Eat - 5%
Bathroom Break - 2%
Aimlessly Running in Fear While Their Friends Try to Keep Track of Them - 1%
Wander and Look Like a Tourist (Look at the Map and Point and Take Pictures) - 2%
Wait Around for Their Friends to Arrive - 2%
Wait for UMR to Open - 6%
Wait for First Showing of Bill & Ted - 8%
Terror Tram - 20%
El Cucuy - 14%
The Simpsons - 7%
Evil Dead - 4%
Insidious - 4%
JP in the Dark - 1%
The Mummy - 1%
Transformers - 8%
Backlot First - 8%
Basically, only 26% of the park is heading for the lower lot/backlot first. Also take in consideration that those who have done something else first (like El Cucuy or Terror Tram) will do other things along the way towards the lower lot and/or the backlot.
Wow, doing this makes me realize just how empty that backlot will be for the first hour, much like the lower lot. People are doing so many other things that are either 1) the wrong strategy/no strategy or 2) have no concept of strategy 3) don't know the park/wandering/being silly.
I think as long as we hit the lower lot and backlots early in the night, like the first 2 hours, we'll all be fine.

Based off the past few years, where literally every time except maybe once I went straight for lower lot, there is basically NOBODY downstairs for the first 30 minutes - hour.

Because of this, I assume even LESS will be in the backlot. Therefore, I'm tackling lower lot mazes (and Transformers) first, THEN backlot.

I assume I'll be beating most of the traffic and have a very little wait.

• Like 1

Well that would be the assumption, but before there would be 4 mazes on the upper lot. Now its been reversed. So its kinda hard to say.

Maybe groups will flock downstairs or maybe they'll wander around upstairs first. I'm hoping things stay the same, because 4 mazes done in an hour would be phenomenal timing.

Personally I like to pace myself throughout the night and keep things spread out, but then again, I'm not gonna be an idiot and purposefully wait for the lower lot lines to reach an hour.

Or hopefully, all the spreading out will spread out the lines and we can finally have some unity in wait times. If every maze had a 30 minute wait, that would be great.

Hey guys! First I wanna say thanks for all the information you guys have posted so far. Here's the run down. I will be doing the unthinkable...5 parks, 4 haunt events, 6 days! I basically plan on doing Howl-o-scream in Tampa, Knott's scary farms, Halloween horror nights Hollywood and Halloween horror nights Orlando on back to back respectively in that order from oct 10th- oct 15th. Here's were you guys come in...

Finding a hotel in Orlando is simple since they are sprawled across the entrance to universal Orlando. I have had a tough time finding something close to universal Hollywood. And since I am a walker (but im not dead hahaha) It would be nice to find a location close to the park as possible. Also, even though with a trip like this it seems im a Saudi millionaire but unfortunately I am not so money is an object...with that said, money wise, is the VIP experience worth it? I only have one night to do everything and reading what all it involves with the investigation it may hinder me from enjoying the park since its my first time on the west coast period (south Carolina here) and a difference of 100 dollars is pretty big to me just for dinner and 2 beers.

Any help, suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Wow, you're gonna be exhausted when all is done - but have some awesome memories! To answer your questions:

Regarding hotels near Universal, there's a Beverly Garland/Holiday Inn that is a 10 minute walk away. It also offers a shuttle service to the park. I used an online bidder to get our room there for $98 a night (see previous post somewhere in this thread). A lot of the hotels in the area offer shuttles to the park, even ones out by Burbank Airport, which if you could, make arrangements to fly out of rather than LAX.

Also, check out Trip Advisor http://www.tripadvisor.com/HotelsNear-g32655-d104417-Universal_Studios_Hollywood-Los_Angeles_California.html

Regarding getting out to Uni from Knott's (and back to the airport), here's a public transportation trip planner for the LA area: http://socaltransport.org/tm_pub_start.php

And lastly, regarding the VIP - we're doing VIP this year, and for us, I know it will be totally worth it, but we're not trying to do nearly as much as you with the accompanying overhead. I didn't catch if you said you were traveling alone or with a party, or which night you'll attend, but generally speaking, I think in your shoes I'd pass on the VIP and just go FOL. It'll let you enjoy all the "Best of", usually twice over, which will probably be plenty good enough to meet your needs.

Good Luck and Congrats on making such an Epic adventure!

I would say since Evil Dead exits into the Tranformer's queue go into Evil Dead first then into Tranformers then head to DOA..

so this is a ruff draft of my plan and I will tweek it as the event goes on depending on how everything goes

1. Head to the lower lot go to Insidious first

2. Jurassic Park

3. Evil Dead

4. Transformers The Ride

5. Backlot Ride To Walking Dead

6. Black Sabbath

7. Quick bite in Dead on Arrival (No pun intended)

8. back to Lower depending on time and wait The Mummy (willing to let this go if we have to)

9/10 Terror Tram or El Cucuy (which one is first is again based on wait and times)

11, UMR

12. The Last showing of Bill and Ted and A little shoping while we wait.

I'd put JP at #8 with The Mummy - when we went, the queue for this was zero, we walked right on to a boat that we shared with only 2 other people.

Wow, you're gonna be exhausted when all is done - but have some awesome memories! To answer your questions:

Regarding hotels near Universal, there's a Beverly Garland/Holiday Inn that is a 10 minute walk away. It also offers a shuttle service to the park. I used an online bidder to get our room there for $98 a night (see previous post somewhere in this thread). A lot of the hotels in the area offer shuttles to the park, even ones out by Burbank Airport, which if you could, make arrangements to fly out of rather than LAX.

Also, check out Trip Advisor http://www.tripadvisor.com/HotelsNear-g32655-d104417-Universal_Studios_Hollywood-Los_Angeles_California.html

Regarding getting out to Uni from Knott's (and back to the airport), here's a public transportation trip planner for the LA area: http://socaltransport.org/tm_pub_start.php

And lastly, regarding the VIP - we're doing VIP this year, and for us, I know it will be totally worth it, but we're not trying to do nearly as much as you with the accompanying overhead. I didn't catch if you said you were traveling alone or with a party, or which night you'll attend, but generally speaking, I think in your shoes I'd pass on the VIP and just go FOL. It'll let you enjoy all the "Best of", usually twice over, which will probably be plenty good enough to meet your needs.

Good Luck and Congrats on making such an Epic adventure!

Thank you so much for your insight. Unfortunetly, my better option (time wise) was to fly back to MCO from LAX. it had the least connections and took less time. I wish I had to know about the online bidder thing. Fortunetly, I had a 100 dollar credit from my job and I was able to use that towards the hilton right near the park so that total came to 116 after the discount (still...OUCH!). I will be traveling alone, all my friends are broke bums! I will also be attending HHN on october 12th (which happens to be a national holiday...my birthday! ;) ). I think im gonna do a "wait and see" regarding VIP. GOnna wait till some have gone to say if its really worth it.

The layout of the mazes this year should provide a decent amount of detours to keep people from running straight to No Safe Haven. Aside HOH being right there, the logical progress will be into the nearest open space. Which is of course the Universal Plaza which serves as the line for El Cucuy. After that there's a sign with THE WALKING DEAD on it that leads to the Terror Tram, near the entrance to the lower lot.