Halloween Horror Nights 2013 Planning and Tips

i think theres no way around that one the Theme Park is built around Business buildings so no free parking without a permit

thats why i bought my premium annual pass free parking before 6 :)

Eh. I'm too young for that. :D Haven't even been driving for a year yet. Lol. BARELY turned 18 (3 days ago). Don't even have a pass for Universal. Or a job.

But I guarantee if I get a job, I'll be getting me a pass. Btw, thanks for answering.

Edited by Kurseddragon

Since you're a veteran at this Asylum, could you tell me - Where do I go once we're at the park to get our VIPs? Thanks!! :)

I hate to say "it all dependz° on" but...

Last year was much improved over 2011. There was a separate VIP line to the far left of all the other pre-entrance security lines. All check-in processes occurred before entering the gates (just beyond the VIP queue). This is where security conducted their search, you received your pass/lanyard, age/lounge bracelet, tour time, maps, etc. Once you found the initial VIP line, everything else was easy. By contrast, in 2011 you waited in the FOL security line, then had to search for the VIP check-in just before the entrance gates. Hope this helped.

°see that, I HHN-ized the word "depends"

Edited by AsylumSB
  • Like 2

What do people think of my new schedule? I'm going on a Friday this year instead of Thursday. Not sure how long lines get on a Fri. since this'll be my first year doing it since 2010. The first schedule is if I take early entrance for Transformers, the second is if I don't. Do people think there will be early entrance for Transformers this year? If not, what early entrance WILL they have?

Early Entrance for Transformers 7:00pm

Scarecrowz Scarezone

Transformers The Ride: 7:05pm – 7:10pm

Backlot Tram

Walking Dead: Dead on Arrival Scarezone

Walking Dead: No Safe Haven Maze: 7:15pm – 7:25pm

Black Sabbath: 13 3D Maze: 7:25pm – 7:40pm

Lower Lot Tram

Insidious: Into The Further: 7:45pm – 8:05pm

Evil Dead: Book of the Dead: 8:10pm – 8:35pm

Walking Dead Terror Tram: 8:45pm – 9:30pm

Cirque du Klownz Scarezone

El Cucuy: The Boogeyman Maze: 9:35pm – 10:40pm

Curse of Chucky Scarezone

Bill and Ted 11pm – 12:00am ?

The Purge: Survive the Night Scarezone

Universal Monsters Remix (HoH) 12:05am– 12:20am

Jurassic Park in the Dark, The Mummy and / or repeat mazes?

Chainsaw Chaseout 1:30am

Opening Scaremonies 7:00pm

The Purge: Survive the Night Scarezone

Scarecrowz Scarezone

Evil Dead: Book of the Dead Maze: 7:05pm – 7:10pm

Transformers The Ride: 7:10pm – 7:25pm

Backlot Tram

Walking Dead: Dead on Arrival Scarezone

Walking Dead: No Safe Haven Maze: 7:30pm – 7:45pm

Black Sabbath: 13 3D Maze: 7:45pm – 8:00pm

Lower Lot Tram

Insidious: Into The Further: 8:05pm – 8:35pm

Walking Dead Terror Tram: 8:45pm – 9:40pm

Cirque du Klownz Scarezone

El Cucuy: The Boogeyman Maze: 9:45pm – 10:45pm

Curse of Chucky Scarezone

Bill and Ted 11:00pm – 12:00am ?

Universal Monsters Remix (HoH) 12:05am– 12:20am

Jurassic Park in the Dark, The Mummy or repeat a maze?

Chainsaw Chaseout 1:30am

Its a fairly realistic game plan but I think the 9:30 - 10:30 timeframe will have El Cucuy still jam packed since ppl arrive as late as 9 - 10. So plan to wait an extra half hour to an hour. That's the same time I'm doing it too, and with everything done in 2 and a half hours, waiting 2 hrs for one maze won't be so bad.

Its a fairly realistic game plan but I think the 9:30 - 10:30 timeframe will have El Cucuy still jam packed since ppl arrive as late as 9 - 10. So plan to wait an extra half hour to an hour. That's the same time I'm doing it too, and with everything done in 2 and a half hours, waiting 2 hrs for one maze won't be so bad.

My schedule with VIP 10/11

VIP Insidious tour (645-900).

VIP Lounge (905-920).

El Cucuy (920-925).

UMR 2.0 (930-940).

Simpsons Ride (if my party wants to do it 945-1000).

Starway (1000-1010).

Evil Dead (1010-1015).

Transformers (1015-1025).

Insidious (1030-1035).

JP (1040-1050).

Mummy (1050-1055).

Backlot tram (1100-1105).

Walking Dead No Safe Haven (1110-1115).

Black Sabbath (1115-1125).

Repeat mazes in backlot twice (1125-1155).

Return to backlot (1155-1200).

Repeat mazes in lower lot maybe a ride of transformers (1200-1240).

Go to upper lot on starway (1240-1250).

Go to El Cucuy twice (1255-110).

Run to UMR again if its good :) (110-120).

Go to final Bill and Ted (130ish).

Edited by UniversalStudiosGeek
  • Like 1

Thanks. Do you think it may be better to do Bill and Ted and Monsters Remix first to give El Cucuy a chance for the line to get shorter? How long do you think the line will be at 11pm?

Idk if it's just me, but I don't enjoy planning out times. I find it doesn't help.

Especially when I get that real rush of freedom in a huge, horror event, when I realize I have a bunch of extra time and that I can go wherever I want, stress-free.

My friend and I literally did all but like 1 or 2 mazes by 9 last year, including riding all the rides. We finished everything by 12 and had 2 hours to repeat anything we wanted and take our time or whatever.

This year's planning seems like a challenge to me. I think I'll do this: (Regardless of Transformer's early access or not)

• Straight to Lower Lot
  • Evil Dead
  • (Check out Transformers time and decide then)
  • Insidious
  • (Check out Mummy and Jurassic Park time and decide then)
  • Back Lot tram
  • Walking Dead
  • Black Sabbath
  • (Check out Lower Lot mazes times and decide then; thinking 10 minute wait max, repeat)
  • Upper lot
  • Probably eat
  • -Depending on times- El Cucuy/Terror tram
  • (Check out Simpsons Ride time and decide then)
  • Bill and Ted
  • UMR
  • See what time it is and times on mazes
  • (Repeat depending on time and decide then)

Times help me see if I'm on track. With a big group who don't understand time management is key to getting everything done and are more focused on hanging out instead of getting maze to maze, i can just pull out the times and say "we need to be here by this time if we want to get all the mazes done."

Just made the plunge and bought our VIPs for Saturday, Sept. 28th! Grand total for two tix: $399.98 (Ow!! Ow! ow! ow! ow, ow, ow! owieeeee!... Lol)

Anyway, to the helpful tips & tricks part. On the confirmation screen this was written at the bottom:

Terror Tram line closes at 10:30pm on Thursday and Sunday nights.

If you purchased a ticket for a Thursday or Sunday night (10/6, 10/13, 10/17, 10/20, 10/24, 10/27, 10/31), please be aware the line for the Terror Tram closes at 10:30pm. Please plan your night accordingly so you don't miss the Terror Tram experience.

Just made the plunge and bought our VIPs for Saturday, Sept. 28th! Grand total for two tix: $399.98 (Ow!! Ow! ow! ow! ow, ow, ow! owieeeee!... Lol)

Anyway, to the helpful tips & tricks part. On the confirmation screen this was written at the bottom:

Terror Tram line closes at 10:30pm on Thursday and Sunday nights.

If you purchased a ticket for a Thursday or Sunday night (10/6, 10/13, 10/17, 10/20, 10/24, 10/27, 10/31), please be aware the line for the Terror Tram closes at 10:30pm. Please plan your night accordingly so you don't miss the Terror Tram experience.

I am a sucker for early reviews so I look forward to your event/VIP post!

• Like 1

All the tips from Universal's website:

Terror Tips

**Courtesy of Universal’s Website **

• Beat the crowds and the traffic by arriving early. We recommend you arrive at Universal Studios Hollywood before 5:00pm if possible. The event gates usually open half an hour early, and the majority of guests are waiting at the gate to get in. This gets very crowded, so plan on arriving early. Also, there will be a lot of traffic, especially on Saturday nights.
  • Due to the popularity of last year’s event, we highly recommend you purchase your tickets ahead of time. This event WILL sell out and if it does, tickets will not be available at the front gate on the night of the event.
  • Once inside the Park, we recommend you make your way directly to the Terror Tram.
  • Plan ahead with the HHN Park Map – Coming Soon!
  • Want to avoid all the long lines? Purchase a Front of Line Pass which enables you to cut right to the front of the line for all rides, shows and attractions.
  • Get here early for a bite to eat on CityWalk. Almost all quick service and select restaurants are offering specials.Offer expires 11/2/13, valid only on Halloween Horror Nights between 3:00pm to 7:00pm. Cannot be combined with any other offers or discounts.
    • Hollywood Pizza 1 slice of any pizza and a 22 oz. fountain drink for $4.95.
    • Popcornoplis Buy any large cone of any flavor, receive one large cone of Nearly Naked FREE!* *Offer valid ONLY at the Poprcornopolis CityWalk. Between 3pm-11pm with ticket.
    • Jody Maroni’s 10% off any combo
    • Hard Rock Café 20% off to HHN ticket holders. Discount applies to food and non-alcoholic beverage; retail and alcohol are excluded from discount
    • Jamba Juice 20% off (any smoothies or juices) any HHN guest
    • Buca di Beppo 10% off any Purchase. No minimum purchase required. Not valid with any other offers, discounts or promotional meal deals. No cash value or return. Excludes banquet and group menus, tax, alcohol, gratuity, merchandise and purchase of gift cards. Valid only for Dine In or Buca To Go.
    • Jillian’s Get Happy Hour prices at Jillian’s with the presentation of a Hollywood Horror Night ticket! Jillian’s Happy Hour is $3.99 for well drinks and selected appetizers from our new menu.