Halloween Horror Nights (Hollywood) 2013 Speculation/Predictions

Dancing gifs aside...

A property isn't the same thing as a concept. The same way that even though there's more than one dark ride at USH, the theme makes a huge difference. If all HHN had to offer was more mazes with the exact same concept as House of Horrors, (a montage of Universal Monsters) I don't think anyone here would be interested. That's the reason people try to figure out the IPs that Murdy is using, the IPs make a difference.

Also, you would need to find a way to somehow outshine the standing JP attraction, which would be pretty hard.

I understand what you mean, however, there's something to be said for expanding upon a concept, no matter if it's better than the original. You hope that it is, but transporting people into the rooms of the visitor center by foot, already adds a sense of inescapability that the "ride" does not offer. You're protected by the boat when you're on the ride, but when you're on foot, you're essentially on your own and thrown directly into the action. If everything is done properly, you could have yourself a very interactive and innovative house that people will be talking about for years. Plus, with the fan base of all things Jurassic Park, the 3D film and next year's JP launch, you'd attract a TON of fans.

• Like 1

Or, you could take all of those innovative concepts and apply them to a better IP that would match HHN's style. Since it's a mostly live event, an idea that would require mostly puppets or holograms (ugh) would be pretty weak.

I understand what you mean, however, there's something to be said for expanding upon a concept, no matter if it's better than the original.

No, there's not anything to be said for "Let's do this, but not as good, and charge people extra for it."

Did you go last year? Attracting fans isn't a problem right now. Especially fans of something that isn't a horror movie.

Please, stick to ideas that aren't ridiculous and already entirely dismissed by Murdy. Go to the Orlando board if you think there's still hope over there.

Or at least in wishful thinking.

Edited by ferox

Or, you could take all of those innovative concepts and apply them to a better IP that would match HHN's style. Since it's a mostly live event, an idea that would require mostly puppets or holograms (ugh) would be pretty weak.

No, there's not anything to be said for "Let's do this, but not as good, and charge people extra for it."

Did you go last year? Attracting fans isn't a problem right now. Especially fans of something that isn't a horror movie.

Please, stick to ideas that aren't ridiculous and already entirely dismissed by Murdy. Go to the Orlando board if you think there's still hope over there.

It's not that ridiculous if it's already been brought up. I also recall Orlando stating that Transformers WILL NOT come to Orlando and several months later, it's coming. Just because something has been dismissed, doesn't mean the idea can't be resurrected. Jurassic Park is mostly Sci-Fi, but it can also be classified as a horror film. I personally find your complete dismissal of an idea by someone in a "speculation" thread to be a little demeaning and unnecessary.

It's not that ridiculous if it's already been brought up. I also recall Orlando stating that Transformers WILL NOT come to Orlando and several months later, it's coming. Just because something has been dismissed, doesn't mean the idea can't be resurrected. Jurassic Park is mostly Sci-Fi, but it can also be classified as a horror film. I personally find your complete dismissal of an idea by someone in a "speculation" thread to be a little demeaning and unnecessary.
On the forum titled "dream mazes that will never happen" Jurassic Park is mentioned a couple times. And Didn't Murdy dismiss Alice Cooper many times in 2011 only to get an upcoming 3rd maze from him this year?
  • Like 1

Murdy used red herrings for Cooper (saying he hasn't met Alice, identifying it as a rumor) but never that he wasn't interested. With all of his history of red herrings, he's never said that he's "not interested" in a maze he ended up doing.

Murdy has said that about JP. Just recently he said that it's "not something I'm terribly interested in doing" and that the concept of doing a JP maze is "silly." His own words. Murdy himself thinks it's silly, so I'll agree.

Murdy used red herrings for Cooper (saying he hasn't met Alice, identifying it as a rumor) but never that he wasn't interested. With all of his history of red herrings, he's never said that he's "not interested" in a maze he ended up doing.

Murdy has said that about JP. Just recently he said that it's "not something I'm terribly interested in doing" and that the concept of doing a JP maze is "silly." His own words. Murdy himself thinks it's silly, so I'll agree.

Alright, so the idea of doing it is dead for Hollywood. Not taking advantage of this type of QUALITY IP, however, will be one of many reasons why Universal Hollywood's Horror Nights won't even hold a candle to Orlando's.

What about the Purge it could make a nice scarezone or Terror Tram attraction.
scare zone would be great. But Can't tell yet if it even belongs at HHN, only judging it on the trailer. Even if it's a good movie it shouldn't be the theme for the terror tram. It just shouldn't.

Alright, so the idea of doing it is dead for Hollywood. Not taking advantage of this type of QUALITY IP, however, will be one of many reasons why Universal Hollywood's Horror Nights won't even hold a candle to Orlando's.

Yes, because if there's one thing Orlando is known for, it's their love of IP mazes. IPs that already exist as permanent attractions in the park. That aren't horror movies by any reasonable definition. Each year, Orlando HHN fans scream out for Jurassic Park to return, because everyone has such fond memories of that year. That's the difference between Hollywood and Orlando. Personally, I cannot wait to see what Orlando does with the horror classic JP this year.

As for actual speculation, The Purge's concept would work pretty well for a Terror Tram. It depends on how much of the movie focuses on the outside world or if it's just focused on the home invasion aspect. Having a TT that in theory would be "this is what was happening outside of the house" could fall flat. But I could see Murdy wanting to really kick up Terror Tram this year and going for something really recognizable or conceptual.

Murdy has said that he likes The Purge, but he likes a lot of movies he said wouldn't work for HHN. Like Devil's Rejects.

Edited by ferox

A purge TT could be pretty neat Murdy could change the story a little like saying that Universal has agreed to let crime occur on the Universal Backlot for Halloween Horror Nights. That would be freaken awesome and scary.

• Like 5

A purge TT could be pretty neat Murdy could change the story a little like saying that Universal has agreed to let crime occur on the Universal Backlot for Halloween Horror Nights. That would be freaken awesome and scary.

That's a good backstory plus I pm you mr.HNN.

Yes, because if there's one thing Orlando is known for, it's their love of IP mazes. IPs that already exist as permanent attractions in the park. That aren't horror movies by any reasonable definition. Each year, Orlando HHN fans scream out for Jurassic Park to return, because everyone has such fond memories of that year. That's the difference between Hollywood and Orlando.

Eh. A majority of the fans "screaming" for a return to Islands do so because they've never experienced the event in Islands. It's not specifically because of JP. While the JP house was fine, and had some cool visuals, its concept was stronger than its execution. The scarezone was similar, but lacked because the best scares were Bushmen. The Raptors were confined to the treeline and the Hybrids' masks were too big to allow a good freedom of movement.

The house "worked," but wasn't great. Screamhouse and Maximum Carnage were better received. It's nowhere close to my top ten.

• Like 1

Just because something looks like a quality IP, doesn't mean it can translate well into something for HHN. As Legacy pointed out, when Orlando had JP Extinction and Project Evilution, both were better concepts then they were executed. Good visuals, but not ideal for scares due to the restrictions of the costumes and masks. If Orlando couldn't make this great even with the best possible location for it, I don't see Hollywood doing any better, especially with Murdy not being interested and thinking it would be silly.

• Like 2

The Purge Terror Tram... I could be on board with that. Hopefully no idiots take it seriously and try to harm the scareactors or other guests.

StraightEdge, we told you a billion times! Watch the original first! The old one is gonna look so phony to you now, and you did yourself an injustice because you missed all the references and straight soundbytes from the original, which would've given ya goosebumps. Oh well.

If they did an all out Evil Dead maze with the original trilogy AND the remake, that'd be most excellent. Or even just the original, maybe part 2, and the remake. I'm a bit apprehensive about the inclusion of AOD since its tone is completely different from the other ones. Maybe have a vortex and an ending in ancient times, but throwing it randomly in there would hurt the maze, I think, but the first 2 and remake can blend pretty well.... that's what i predict they'll do... (actually not really, but I'm trying to stay on topic lmao)

• Like 1

Ugh. Yeah. I could see that going really ugly really quickly. Terror Tram seems like the environment most inviting for stupid macho BS so I could see Murdy not wanting to put the scareactors/security though any more trouble than they already expect.

I actually kinda agree about how dangerous TT could be. Last year in front of me and my party there was a group of people smoking weed behind the Bates Motel. Once we passed that area that one walker with the screwdriver in his eye popped out on them and one of them punched him so they were all taken by security.

• Like 1

For the Purge, while the film does have a intriguing concept, it looks to focus on the home invasion angle. If that's firmly the case, I only see this working as a segment for the Terror Tram and nothing else. Most home invasion films wouldn't work as a full blown maze, and if one were to be put in a scare zone, it would have to be in a mix of things. I feel that trying to have them as it's own scare zone would be rather bland.

The reason why I say this is because of how the Strangers were handled in both Hollywood and Orlando.

Hollywood - Randomly placed in HoH and in the park.

Orlando - In 2009's event they had one room in Silver Screams and were amongst a mix of characters in the Horrorwood Die-In scare zone.

I actually kinda agree about how dangerous TT could be. Last year in front of me and my party there was a group of people smoking weed behind the Bates Motel. Once we passed that area that one walker with the screwdriver in his eye popped out on them and one of them punched him so they were all taken by security.

OH COME ON PEOPLE. You smoke weed and you still are too tense to not punch people that pop out at you? Jeez. Some people ruin everything.

OH COME ON PEOPLE. You smoke weed and you still are too tense to not punch people that pop out at you? Jeez. Some people ruin everything.

Where is Officer McGruff when you need him! "If you know a user just part of a time, tell him to quit, take a bite out of crime. Cause users are losers and losers are users. Don't do drugs, don't do drugs!" Hardy Har Har.