Thoughts on new street experience

Universal has said that this year they will be taking a different direction with the scare zones,

"And we’ve got a completely reinvented street experience… They will find you and invade your personal space like never before. There will be no boundaries. The rules of the past will no longer apply. Roaming legions of menacing beasts, vampires, prisoners, warriors and more will inhabit every corner of the park. There is no escape."

For myself I kind of have mixed feelings about this, while I think the concept of no where to escape is great, what I loved about the scare zones of the past is that areas seemed like mini houses. The way they were themed and the atmosphere is what drew you into them. I am hoping that there will still be themed areas throughout the park, but from the sound of it, it does not seem like there will be.

What are your thoughts on this new concept?

Guest HHNPicMan

Universal has said that this year they will be taking a different direction with the scare zones,

"And we’ve got a completely reinvented street experience… They will find you and invade your personal space like never before. There will be no boundaries. The rules of the past will no longer apply. Roaming legions of menacing beasts, vampires, prisoners, warriors and more will inhabit every corner of the park. There is no escape."

For myself I kind of have mixed feelings about this, while I think the concept of no where to escape is great, what I loved about the scare zones of the past is that areas seemed like mini houses. The way they were themed and the atmosphere is what drew you into them. I am hoping that there will still be themed areas throughout the park, but from the sound of it, it does not seem like there will be.

What are your thoughts on this new concept?

Well, I can tell you that certain streets will still have some themeing. For example, Central Park right now is being extensively themed. I walk across the park everyday on my way to work and there is plenty of actual props lining certain streets.

I dont think we will see huge props like the school buss and such, but I think we will see themeing along the curbsides and trees and such. And, of course, we will see a massive amount of lighting being put up. Which, we have already seen alot of that being done.

As far as the raomaing status, I think what will actually happen is each set, the scareactors as a group will be assigned a certain location. I dont think they will roam at their own free will. Instead I think from the viewpoint as a guest, you will see the scareactors poping up in various locations throughout the night. For example, you come in the park at 6 and a group is on Hollywood Blvd. Then later that evening at 8, those same scareactors are in Central Park. So on and so forth.

Personally, I think it sounds like an awesome idea. From what I've seen in construction pics it looks like there will be loosely/ vaguely themed areas around the park....so yes, we will get theming but I'm not sure the areas will be named. I LOVE the idea of no rules and upping the intensity. MAKE ME RUN UNIVERSAL, I'M READY!!!!

They've done this literally before, what they're doing is taking the zones off the map, but having them in their normal locations. For safety reasons they can't have actors running all over the parks and up and down on sidewalks and what not. Here is a way to break down how they're doing scarezones this year, think of 2008 how they had hordes and how they had hard scarezones, now image they're not on the map. That simple.

• Like 1

I am open to see the scarezones, I will obviously give it a chance, and this could be great,

but this roaming thing could be awful, first of all, not putting the zones in the map or changing them from place to place is going to be a mess, even for fans here, how would you know where they are next? like, if you want to see a specific scarezone, how would you find it?

I mean, I could see people freaking out about it

STREET EXPERIENCES

As you make your way through the dark and sinister streets—beware. Someone is watching your every move. The Legions of Horror have ripped and clawed their way out of the ground from an ancient buried cemetery long kept secret. They’ll move silently throughout the night, never staying in one place too long. Don’t bother trying to avoid them. They WILL get you.

THE INIQUITUS

Rooted in evil these are the patrons of death, and were the first to rise from the cemetery. They’ve summoned the Dark Legions to join them in a night of carnage as they feast upon the living.

THE LEGIONS OF HORROR

legions_vampires.png

DARK LEGIONS: VAMPIRES

Summoned by The Iniquitus, the creatures of the night are here to quench their undying thirst. They lurk in the shadows, listening for fresh blood pulsing inside your living veins.

legions_beasts.png

DARK LEGIONS: BEASTS

The Iniquitus have commanded these grotesque predators to hunt you down. Silently they’ll stalk you…all night long, until they have you surrounded and there’s nowhere left to hide.

legions_warriors.png

DARK LEGIONS: WARRIORS

Slaughtered in a deadly battle, the Warriors have been brought back from the dead by The Iniquitus. Seeking their bloodthirsty revenge, they move under a cloak of darkness. So beware—that’s not a breeze on the back of your neck.

legions_prisoners.png

DARK LEGIONS: PRISIONERS

At a brutal women’s prison, fire scorched the inmates alive and the charred convicts were trapped between life and death—until now. The Iniquitus have released them and they’re going to kill everyone in their path. Their chainsaws are churning and they’re coming for you.

legions_traditionals.png

DARK LEGIONS: TRADITIONALS

These aren’t the fiends from your childhood books. These are the fears that creep inside your dreams. Brought forth by The Iniquitus, these ghosts and goblins have teeth—and they’re hungry.

legions_walkers.png

DARK LEGIONS: WALKERS

So it's a hybrid I guess? Roaming hordes will roam their designated areas? I still feel pretty confident there will be sets as well.

Give A&D/creative the Pulitzer, Nobel Peace, and the Heisman because this backstory is beyond genius if you ask me.

The Prisoners will be a female Chainsaw Drill Team according to the press release.

Edited by Coast
  • Like 1

website updated, seems we are only going to have 6 zones?

and no clowns? unless the childhood fears has a couple of clowns, from the speculation I was expecting roaming clowns with chainsaws

unless the Iniquitus is a 7th scarezone, we are looking at 4 zones and one roaming zombies?

it is interesting how Hollywood got their Silent Hill street zone, but we didn't,

So...What happened to the traditional Halloween Zone for Kidzone?

What the heck are "Beasts" "Traditionals" and the "Inquitus"?

Weren't there supposed to be Killer Klowns somewhere too?

Am I the only one confused here?

Edited by Chef

where are the trick or treaters yes?

I have to say, the lack of logos for the zones is really badly done, I am glad we got a reveal, but what happened to making their own descriptions with the logo for the zones and everything,

this year the site leave a lot to be desired, I mean, they could have given us something a little more

• Like 1

I am completely and totally down with this concept.

The event is going to evolve folks, whether anyone likes it or not. The old traditional scarezones, yeap, we've seen those for what, the past 20 years? Moving the concept to something different like this switches things up...and in my book, change is ALWAYS a good thing.

I like the idea of having the streets being labeled as "experiences" instead of scarezones, makes it seem a bit more interactive and involved than the usual scarezone we are all used to.

• Like 6

Well that's good to know...I was looking forward to it.

I feel like from a PR standpoint they kind of made a mistake throwing a new direction for the streets to us the same year as the construction changes and the lack of an eighth house. There was already a lot of changes this year and then to throw this at us was probably a bad move this year, any other year I think we would probably embrace this change, but there was a lot of trepidation about where the event would be, and then where the houses would be, and then impacts from the Parade, etc, etc, etc. They should have stuck with Traditional scare zones this year, and then made the switch next year after we were used to seven houses.

I like the idea of having the streets being labeled as "experiences" instead of scarezones, makes it seem a bit more interactive and involved than the usual scarezone we are all used to.

I have to agree. I think there's still a lot more info to be had on this.

And as I said above, been told that the Cinespec infrastructure will play into this in some way.

Well that's good to know...I was looking forward to it.

I feel like from a PR standpoint they kind of made a mistake throwing a new direction for the streets to us the same year as the construction changes and the lack of an eighth house. There was already a lot of changes this year and then to throw this at us was probably a bad move this year, any other year I think we would probably embrace this change, but there was a lot of trepidation about where the event would be, and then where the houses would be, and then impacts from the Parade, etc, etc, etc. They should have stuck with Traditional scare zones this year, and then made the switch next year after we were used to seven houses.

As a relative newbie on the boards and following HHN across the internet...it wouldn't matter. It seems like change = bad when it comes to HHN fans.

I Disagree. The Amazing thing about HHN is that it's like having a brand new theme park to experience each fall. Change is great, new houses, new concepts, (New Age of Darkness) But there was a lot of change this year, and a lot of trepidation about behind the scenes changes as well, that to be fair the average guest knows nothing about. I just think this wasn't the year to change up the streets on us as well, especially because they have become more and more immersive over the last few years.

I don't know, obviously I can't really judge until the event begins, but those are just my thoughts right now.

• Like 1

I have to agree. I think there's still a lot more info to be had on this.

And as I said above, been told that the Cinespec infrastructure will play into this in some way. I really think it will lend a unique aspect to the concept that we haven't seen before.

As a relative newbie on the boards and following HHN across the internet...it wouldn't matter. It seems like change = bad when it comes to HHN fans.

I'm very excited to see how Cinespec plays into the street experience concept.

Do not mention the word "change" to some HHN fans, you'd think someone had just peed in their Cheerios when everything isn't the same, every single year.

Then if Uni doesn't try anything new, these same people usually complain how creative isn't "thinking out of the box" or trying anything different. I've come to determine that it's pretty much a no-win situation.

For me change at HHN = a good thing

Who wants to attend the same freaking event, year after year? It'd be like "Groundhog Day" Halloween style...

• Like 3

Do not mention the word "change" to some HHN fans, you'd think someone had just peed in their Cheerios when everything isn't the same, every single year.

Then if Uni doesn't try anything new, these same people usually complain how creative isn't "thinking out of the box" or trying anything different. I've come to determine that it's pretty much a no-win situation.

Who wants to attend the same freaking event, year after year? It'd be like "Groundhog Day" Halloween style...

I have to agree. And if we are indeed getting a more interactive street event like it seems, color me ecstatic.

Last year was my first year...and the streets didn't impress me at all. The only one I found interesting was Grown Evil, which really just had fog and the trees as theming.

So this doesn't bother me.

change is a great thing when done well,

my fear will always be repeating the awful fiasco that 2007 was regarding scarezones, I guess that's the fear about change, that it might really suck