Halloween Horror Nights Hollywood 2012 Discussion

$109 for front of the line?! Are you kidding me! Last year they were like 70! Not to mention that the 8 day pass they just offerd was only 99

Seriously, right?

I'm laughing at people who want FOL for one night. I don't care that the killer deal has a few sundays on the event. that's still saving a ton of money and enjoying the nights for a fraction of the cost. Fri/Sat are more crowded anyway.

Oh well....their loss.

$109 for front of the line?! Are you kidding me! Last year they were like 70! Not to mention that the 8 day pass they just offerd was only 99

This is no different than last year: $79-$109 based on night... It still includes admission.

...and the 8-day passes are now sold out

So far, I don't see any major price increases. In fact, the Killer Deal pass even has several more nights than last year's. Considering they sold out almost every single night, they certainly have justification to raise the prices a great deal.

Seriously, right?

I'm laughing at people who want FOL for one night. I don't care that the killer deal has a few sundays on the event. that's still saving a ton of money and enjoying the nights for a fraction of the cost. Fri/Sat are more crowded anyway.

Oh well....their loss.

But I think Front of the Line for one night is good if your only going one night. That way you can accomplish everything in 1 night and be done with it.

Also, regarding these $109 front of the line passes...isn't that Orlando's website? I don't think Hollywood has them up yet.

EDIT - Sorry, Freak. Your post went up before mine. Feel free to move this if you like. I don't have the time.

So does FOL come with admission?

Yes. All FOL include admission.

While they do not market it online, they DO sell a Front of Line pass inside the park for people who purchase GA tickets. These passes vary by night, but cost anywhere from $35 to $75. They are essentially identical to Orlando's "Express Pass".

Murdy will probably provide links a few times so you can buy these on line. If you are considering it, this is the way to go, as they always - ALWAYS - sell out, and you cannot buy them online on the day of the event.

But I think Front of the Line for one night is good if your only going one night. That way you can accomplish everything in 1 night and be done with it.

Also, regarding these $109 front of the line passes...isn't that Orlando's website? I don't think Hollywood has them up yet.

And now for my annual big-ass post regarding tickets...

FOL is great if you are going one night - I recommend it. What absolutely SUCKS is that the FOL pass is good for only ONE ENTRY PER HOUSE. A few years ago, they didn't have that limit. You could go through 25 times in a night if you like. Orlando operates the same way - one entry per house.

And the link listed is in fact for Hollywood. It hasn't been made public yet. Orlando has been selling tickets for a few weeks now. Their ticketing options are far superior to Hollywood's. For instance, they have a "Rush of Fear" pass that is good for the first 10 nights of HHN (peak and non-peak) - really great for someone like me who will be visiting for a weekend and can go 4 nights in a row.

They also offer two types of 'Frequent Fear" passes, which are the equivalent of Killer Deal passes. The higher tier version adds Friday nights.

What really sets these Orlando options apart is that you can buy each of these "HHN season passes" with an Express pass rider. That is, not only do you get in free every night of your pass, you also get an Express pass (their version of FOTL) every night you go. That is an incredible deal. So, in my case, I'm buying a "Rush of Fear with Express" for around $169. This lets me in 4 nights in a row - 2 peak and 2 non peak, with Express each night. This would cost me many hundred$ a'la carte. Just a tremendous offering.

So why doesn't Hollywood do this???

The answer is: they could, but then they would be plagued with the same thing that Orlando is plagued with.... That is, when you use your Express pass in Orlando, instead of standing in an 80 minute line, you stand in a 15 minute Express Pass line. in Hollywood, the "Gate A" line is ALWAYS a 0 minute wait. This is because Hollywood will limit sales to 1,000 FOTL passes a night (my numbers) while Orlando will sell 10,000 Express Passes on the same night (again, my numbers).

In Orlando, it gets worse. Even though they sell out of Express Passes each and every single event night, they track when the passes are used up, as they are scanned at each house. When they begin to get used up (around 11PM) they will start selling "Mini Express passes" - $20-$25 Express Passes that are good until midnight. HHN Orlando is so big you cannot circumnavigate the entire event in an hour while hitting even 2 houses. Plus, when they sell these extra passes, it clogs up the Express lines just as they are beginning to lessen.

in other words, Orlando has found a way to milk every last cent from their customers. It's a Catch-22: Unless you are in line 30 minutes before the gates open, there is no way in hell you can go through all the houses without an Express Pass, but they sell so damn many, it's not much of an "Express".

In Hollywood, it's equally difficult to see everything in an evening without a FOTL pass (lately, even on a non peak night). But they sell so few that the gate A lines are nonexistent. Which sounds great... But it means with a FOTL pass, you can see everything at HHN Hollywood in under 2 hours - easily. Which makes you feel like you wasted your money.

I think there's a happy medium somewhere. I'd like to see Hollywood sell more FOTL passes, or add a tier that gives you unlimited entries, like in the old days. I don't think people would complain about a 5 minute wait at Gate A. They actually DO have this unlimited use pass, but to get it you have to buy the VIP pass. It includes admission, all of your food for the evening, and a special Terror Tram tour. it's really a great package - but it costs $199-$229 a person. but again - it's something you will never forget. I took it last year and have an extensive write-up in the 2011 forums. I HIGHLY recommend it - if you can afford it and REALLY LOVE HHN.

Exactly. Im only going for one night since i don't live in LA. Thats what i did last year and i was able to space it out through the entire night. Hopefully i will be able to afford one this year!

^Yeah, I don't live in LA either. I'll be in LA for 1 week and I want to make damn sure I see everything I came to see even if I am done in 2 hours. That just means more time to walk around in the park, catch a repeat maze at the end of the night or go back and party :). I do wish the fotl pass was unlimited, but I have to take what I can get for the right price.

Edited by manbeast

It went $79.99, $89.99, $99.99, and $109.99 with different dates in each category. I should have taken a screen-shot. :mellow:

I guess the link doesn't work anymore because whoever is in charge of the site found out it was easily accessible and changed it.

Edited by shark23

I'm so far very excited for the Silent Hill and Toyz scarezone. They seem like they could both be very scary and good. Toyz will probably be more fun, though. Of course Klownz is always great but I hope they don't bring it back for a fourth year. Witches seems like it will be one of those foggy, boring scarezones where the scareactors just kind of walk around.

I am wondering if the Witches scarezone was originally supposed to be "The Lords of Salem" scarezone as it seems to be similar. If it isn't as boring as I think, it could have fire effects as it says they are burning people, but I think that's just to explain the charred faces.... but fire and energetic Witches could make it better than I expect...

2012 Run Down and Discussion!

Opening - A lot of variety this year, just not enough big names to get me excited but as long as the actual quality of what we're getting is good (and it has LOTS of potential to be the best year), then I'll be happy. There's some downfalls but there's also some major ups, and a few "eh's." But let's take a walkthrough of the park and see what we find, giving it some commentary.

Tickets - Offering the FFP again this year with MORE nights and at an affordable price was a great surprise. I really thought we had saw the end of that thing and fans should be pleased. Regular tickets, however, took a major bump up. About 10 dollars more. Which is fine but I just hope discounted advanced tickets never reach the General Admission price of $60+ or even $50, as those are both just too much. FOL took a bump as well because of the inflation which is expected. The cheaper end of the spectrum at $79 is a good deal. However, $109 is just ridiculous. But they're a business and they gotta make money and people will pay for it.

Entrance - Okay, well... no scarezone here this year, at least not officially but we do get "clown related" go-gos. Doesn't sound sexy at all but who am I kidding? This isn't necessarily important. I am curious as to what the statue will be though.

Klownz - UGH, again?! I understand clowns being a staple but can we put them elsewhere other than front and center? Clowns in London would be interesting. Even clowns on the lower lot could work well. But the NY Street needs to flex its creative muscles. Glad there will be some new stuff this year in this zone but it's still a bother.

Universal Monster Remix - Really the dumbest thing HHN could have possibly done this year. I understand being new, different and taking chances but WTF is this? There's a dozen other ways to do something edgy and risky... like a maze that looks like it's made from claymation or is based off a cartoon or something! Darkcore, dubstep, whatever you wanna call it -- I'm just not on board with the idea of this. Can't wait to see how bad it is or how surprisingly well done it turns out to be.

Toyz - Really looking forward to this as this can be done in many different ways. It could be a blacklit scarezone or just simply dark. Either way, it has potential. I'm also looking forward to the soundtrack of this zone and not to mention, what should be the best designed scarezone monsters in the park with hybrid toy-humans. I hope there's plenty of props and I think putting this on London street is a perfect fit!

The Walking Dead: Dead Inside - Been slightly losing anticipation for this since the Terror Tram announcement. I love TWD and think the zombies will look rad but this property is truly being stretched thin. However, I look forward to this one for being our first zombie maze and I'm hoping it can exceed my expectations.

Witches - Okay, I'd like to mention it now but can we get a WEE BIT more creative with the scarezone names? Anywho, great concept and French street has the perfect gothic feel for what this zone could be. Nothing less than dark, I'm sure with what I'm assuming will be some great decor on this street. Not to mention the fog that builds up here should make this very spooky.

Alice Cooper: Goes to Hell 3D - Not a fan of WTMN and not a fan of 3D mazes but there's been a lot of interesting ideas floating around concerning this maze. I think it has great potential to have some dark, twisted and scary elements in it but my fear is the scare factor may be lost from the 3D's brightness and the hokey-ness of Alice Cooper. On the website, you click on all the areas and they're accompanied by a scary sound but then you click on the amp and you get AC doing his most PG-scary voice. Granted, WTMN had some good ideas with a well crafted horror soundtrack so if this succeeds, I won't be surprised and if it fails, I won't be totally heartbroken. Funny enough, this will also be the closest we'll ever get to a Se7en maze :-P

La Llorona: The Child Hunter - Favorite from last year and I actually have gone through the original version of this maze three times, which is more than I have for any other HHN maze so I know the original maze pretty damn well. I thought this was easily the scariest maze last year and this year, it has a lot to live up to. Murdy saying it wasn't as scary as it could've been just blows my mind as there was nothing creepier even at the event but with that said, maybe he can add more to this terrifying creation. My only hope is him adding to it just doesn't mean making it more "extreme" or over the top, as this idea works best as a classical spooky ghost story instead of a gory, thrill show. The ending was my favorite part and it seems they're getting rid of it, and they're actually advertising that on the site, so it better damn well be a great substitute!

Terror Tram: Invaded by the Walking Dead - No new location, which isn't that big of a deal but Murdy claims the drop off area and route will be tweaked around a bit. Chucky and Scream were really big failures so there's a lot on the line with this one. There NEEDS to be more props and decor. The sets already standing simply just can't be it. This NEEDS to go back to its 2006 - 2009 roots. It has to implement what made those years so damn great. Lots of props, lots of story and lots of "scenes." I'm afraid this will play it safe, change some of the route but keep everything else the same. With zombies being only mildly scary, this could end up just a big a failure or even more than '10 and '11. And for the love of God, upgrade the production value on the TT's videos. They've honestly never been that great but since '09, there's been some decline. Just sayin'!

Bill and Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure - Another year with only one show. Considering we have the same amount of mazes as last year, the same TT problem and same show problem, expect crowds and lines to reach similar heights. As for the show itself, its always a hit or miss but still at the very least fun.

Silent Hill - Not to be confused with the maze, I'm speaking of the scarezone here. And I'll say what I said in the scarezone thread: "the scarezone should be titled 'Welcome to Silent Hill' with the maze being titled, 'Silent Hill: Random Subtitle." It only makes SENSE, right? Anywho, this sounds like a great idea but the lower lot isn't known for that good of fog build up which this zone is in desperate need of considering there won't be much decor down there to make it more Silent Hill-ish. With that said, I think this might be the dud scarezone. However, it is better than just rehashing Repears.

Welcome to Silent Hill - I think this maze has potential to be the best of the night. Dark, gritty, terrifying monsters, unsettling environments and a fuckin' great soundtrack. I'll actually be downright SURPRISED if this isn't pulled off right. I'm not even a fan of the property and I still know this should be fantastic. It's also a nice change of pace for that location and the switcheroo of the facade should be interesting. Really looking forward to this one.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Saw is the Law - Looking forward to revisiting this theme as it was my favorite all those years ago. With a new tone and new environments, this could very well find its way at the top of many people's lists. Highly looking forward to being pit in some of the film's iconic scenes.

Overall - Fairly decent looking year. Some things definitely need some work but I'll hold full judgment of that when I see it opening night. I'm really hoping this year knocks it out of the park instead of falls on its ass. Last year's lineup sounded amazing but it merely delivered on a sub-par level. With some mixed feelings on this year, I'm hoping I can be proven right & wrong and hoping I can finally say HHN is back to its heyday.

Anticipation Level (from most to least):

Welcome to Silent Hill

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Saw is the Law

Alice Cooper: Goes to Hell 3D

The Walking Dead: Dead Inside

Terror Tram: Invaded by the Walking Dead

Toyz

Witches

La Llorona: The Child Hunter

Silent Hill

Universal Monster Remix

Klownz