Grime's Photos

Grime

Any scareactors looking for pics this year drop me a PM and we can arrange a night where I'll shoot you in your street for free :)

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Most recent update: Lots of cleanup on dead links, some more recent photo updates.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Welcome! I decided to make a thread for my own photography. I'll post updates here similar to my wordpress blog whenever I go to an event and take pictures :)

I'll start this off with just some of the photos I've taken over the last year or so. Feel free to critique anything you'd like, I'm always open to criticism. I'm also open to any questions you may have!

Q: Why photography?

A: Honestly, I just wanted something to do when I go to events and conventions. Too many times have I been sitting spectating an event and though "man, I'd love to take some cool pictures of this." Basically, it gives me something to do when I go out. And I love sharing my photos with people.

Q: What kind of equipment do you have?

A: I shoot a Nikon D7000 camera. I have several lenses. I primarily use my 17-50mm f/2.8 as my walk around lens. I have this on my camera 75% of the time because of its wide aperture and 17-50mm zoom range. It works for everything except telephoto. My 2nd most used lens is my 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6. This is my big lens for shooting wildlife and sporting events where the subjects are far away. My other two lenses are my 35mm f/1.8 prime for extremely low-light situations (like HHN) and my 55-200mm f/4-5.6 which has been pretty much taken over by my 70-300. I'll probably sell it soon. I also used an SB-600 external flash with a Gary Fong Lightsphere collapsible diffuser. I have a Manfrotto tripod as well but I don't even remember what model. I use two straps. One is a Crumpler Industry Disgrace for when I'm using my flash. The other is a Black Rapids R-strap that I highly recommend if you're not using an external flash.

Edit: Added a 50mm f/1.4 that will be my primary HHN lens alongside the 35mm f/1.8. Also added a 60mm macro lens.

Q: Nikon or Canon?

A: Doesn't matter. Both companies offer nearly identical bodies and lenses in nearly identical price ranges. Nobody will be able to tell what brand body or lens you used by looking at your photo. I went with Nikon only because the D7000 was the best camera available at the time in its price range. If Canon had a better camera in the price range, I would have picked Canon. It does not matter at all, do not let people tell you otherwise. Pick what's comfortable in your hands. Hell, I love Pentax bodies too. My friend shoots one professionally and his images are PHENOMENAL.

Photos

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

6824541644_88f74d6de6_c.jpg

6824542882_4e4216f25a_c.jpg

6970665849_cec375ae52_c.jpg

6457560007_39d70d1069_b.jpg

6457559491_1c8fc9a14a_b.jpg

6091435769_edbc98aaa8_b.jpg

6091437801_ee37dbe60b_b.jpg

6091438559_decc5f4b28_b.jpg

6091979028_b6420ccfa3_b.jpg

6278177527_792845566c_b.jpg

More to come! Stay tuned!

Edited by Grime
  • Like 1

Thanks man :) You know I took some last year, but there just weren't that many great opportunities as compared to previous years. But back then I had also had my camera for just over a few months. I've done a lot of shooting between then and now so hopefully I get some better results. And of course, hopefully we get some better scarezones.

I'm trying to get my hands on an 85mm f/1.8 before September as well for portraits.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks guys :)

Those are some amazing photographs, specially the Harry Potter ones.

I see that you have a Manfrotto tripod, how do you like using it? I am thinking about buying a Manfrotto 055XPROB along with a 322RC2 head.

I haven't used too many tripods in the past, but I definitely like it. It's lightweight and very sturdy.

Wow, Grime, your pics are simply stunning. The HP pics are absolutely breathtaking! Uni should hire you for PR. I love the seal, too.. so adorable! I cannot WAIT to see what you do for HHN. When do you go? Hell, I'd follow you around. If you see a middle-aged woman with her face painted (with 2 friends in the same condition), and you think they are stalking you.. we are. :):hanibal:

• 3 weeks later...

Hahaha thanks for the support guys :) I went to Dragon*Con this past weekend in Atlanta and took hundreds of pictures. Here are just a few. The rest can be viewed on my flickr, to which there is a link in my signature.

*edited dead links*

Edited by Grime
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...