HHN 2011: Alice Cooper's Welcome to My Nightmare

Freak

It's official. Alice Cooper is coming to this year's HHN. What are your thoughts? I'll post mine soon.

First of all, this spells out no Scream maze this year which makes me a VERY sad panda. :( On the bright side, I'm actually looking forward to this maze a LOT and I'm actually excited. We've wanted wanted originality and we GOT IT. I'm stoked for this!

Also, now that this rumor is true....La Llorona anybody?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you think there is no Scream maze cause of Alice?

Think about it. All we have left are Soap Opera and Trivia. We already know HoTC is returning because of the construction evidence. It can't be in HoH for obvious reasons and it can't be Soap Opera because I don't recall there being a forest or a tomb. Boy, I hope I'm wrong. If I'm not and we do get La Llorona or something, then I won't complain.

Ok this is my thought. I'm glad to have an original maze but out of all the other movies to choose from why this? I'm just mad that we got this over scream. I mean scream is still a possibility but you would think its common scense to do scream as a maze. It makes me wonder what other celebs john decided to be buddies with. Eli roth, alice cooper, and rob zombie who else?

71 days ago, I tweeted to Murdy: "Please tell me that Steven means that Alice Cooper will design an original maze based on Welcome to my Nightmare".

He tweeted back: "I can neither confirm nor deny this".

So I don't recall reading that he flat-out denied A.C. being part of the event. Unfortunately, my tweets to Murdy were outside "the window", or I'd be getting the prize.

I just tweeted Murdy again today:

"Great theme, but a few words of warning from the past: WWF presents... Just be careful with this one."

He tweeted back: "You won't see that, don't worry..."

I had a ball reading DTH316's rant against an A.C house. He sounded like me railing against Murdy for not having original content. Almost everyone here has agreed with me that the movie based houses are getting a little long in the tooth.

Which is why I'm having such a tough time seeing why W2MN is being met with such resistance. It promises nothing but original content.

Yeah, I know that the Brutal Planet was a disaster, but that was Six Flags. They haven't done a decent maze since forever.

The way I see it, Murdy can take several different approaches to this house:

1) Stepping into the mind of Alice Cooper (similar to what Orlando did with Psychopath in 2006). That house was really not what people expected because it was essentially a funhouse. You enter into the mind of Norman Bates by walking into a vortex tunnel, and then it goes totally funhouse from there. That was a love it or hate it maze. In this case, Steven was a big part of Alice's Nightmare, Steven being the inner child/voice that brings the only sanity to Alice. That being said, it would be a complete disaster if Murdy somehow made Steven into scareactors. Personally, I'm hoping this will NOT be the approach he takes.

2) Basing the house in the Brutal Planet/Dragontown timeframe. I sincerely doubt that this will be the case, since this is clearly supposed to be W2MN and not BP. However, the themes in Brutal Planet timeframe really lend itself to a maze.

3) Based on his last clue of being a Carny, the house could be based on some of the content in The Last Temptation of Alice. That entire album was centered around Steven, who is lured into a carnival by a sideshow barker who turns out to be the devil. Every time I listen to that CD, I feel like "this could be a great theme for a haunt". It's one of his most under-rated albums. But once again, this is W2MN...

4) Along Came a Spider CD told a story of a serial killer. Steven makes an appearance in the epilogue song, being the voice in his head that made him do the things he did. There's a lot of themes in that CD that also lend itself to a haunt. But still not W2MN.

5) Basing the house on the original W2MN and whatever new content he has created for the new CD. Aside from the title song, you have "Steven", "Cold Ethyl", "Years Ago" and "Escape" that make sense for a house. "Department of Youth" and "Only Women Bleed"?? Those don't exactly work, as good as they are. If this is the path Murdy chooses, one prop I'm absolutely predicting that we will see again is the frozen woman from Saw - she will be "Cold Ethyl". 101% certain on this.

An to Trevler: How can you NOT like Alice's music? Are you crazy? You seemed like such a level-headed guy when I met you. :)

Edited by zombieman

I'd like to add that Alice Cooper is clearly not the creative mind behind this maze.

He might have influenced it, but this is is all John Murdy's sick invention.

This is going to be the first maze john "created" with little outside influence since Asylum in 2006.

I'm excited just to see what he can do, I mean we all know he can work well off of other people's material, but this maze is going into the psyche of nightmares.

There's a lot of room for originality in that.

I think it'll be great.

Well original content is good! So that element of the maze excites me. And this certainly excites me more than Hostel. Just hoping that there's a good variety of environments and monsters and you'll be able to enjoy it without being a Alice Cooper superfan.

And still, why this instead of so many other viable options out there?!?! Isn't AC a bit.... um, past his prime? From Murdy's FB: "Very happy to annouce today I'm colllaborating with my childhood hero Alice Cooper to bring "Welcome to My Nightmare" to Halloween Horror Nights 2011. He even made a video for me. Check it out." Oh yeah... that's why :rolleyes:

Edited by Creeper06

I don't -dislike- it. And to be honest I haven't heard very much. I'm just saying that I wasn't a fan. I'm Alice Cooper neutral.

I was A.C. neutral until I was in Vegas one weekend and saw that he was in concert at Texas Station. I thought "why not?" and got tickets. I hadn't ever heard much of his stuff before (pretty much all I knew was that he did the song "Poison" and another for a Jason movie).

The concert blew me away. By the end I was hooked, and on the way back to my hotel I stopped by a 24 hour store and bought a few CDs. Since then, I've been to a few of his concerts and got to meet him backstage.

And still, why this instead of so many other viable options out there?!?! Isn't AC a bit.... um, past his prime?

If you went to a concert and saw all the young people in attendance, it would shock you. He's active as hell onstage, too. The guy is definitely not past his prime. No more than Steven Tyler.

If you went to a concert and saw all the young people in attendance, it would shock you. He's active as hell onstage, too. The guy is definitely not past his prime. No more than Steven Tyler.

I was talking more about his popularity. If he's still got a (young) following, I certainly wasn't aware of it. I didn't even know he was still creating original stuff. But good for him!

And his Jason song (Man Behind The Mask) is badass.

This is the one and only time you guys will see me post in this thread.

And all I have to say is...

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

- _ - WHAT?

Im gonna have to side with DTH although Ill give this a chance Im kinda dumbfounded how alot of other movies where thrown out for this and please tell me this going into HOH.......

Well, if DTH has indeed made his one and only post on this thread, then it gives the rest of us license to taunt him. :D

As the person on this board who has given Murdy the most flack for doing just movie-based houses, I am the first to give him big kudos for choosing this house theme. It's the last thing in the world I'd have expected from him.

Now, in all honesty, had the theme been La Lorona, I'd probably be sounding a lot like DTH and Grindhouse, even though La lorona would have also meant original content. I'd probably have complained, calling it a rip off of Knott's Mexican maze. There's a joke there somewhere, but I'm not going to fish for it.

But I gotta tell you, even if the maze had been La Lorona, I'd take it in a second over a movie I'd seen a dozen frickin' times. That's why I'm looking forward to The Thing in hopes that the new movie (and therefore the maze) will break some original ground, offering a chance at actual scares.

Someone posted on the speculation thread that they envisioned the W2MN maze containing Alice look-alikes, and it sucking out loud. If that was the case, I'd call that a suck-fest, too. I'm envisioning more along the lines of how Freddy appeared in areas of his mazes - using video and scrims. So I'm guessing Alice will make a couple of appearances via video only, and they will use their best effort to disguise the video. But scareactors dressed as Alice? I'm praying that's not going to happen.

Someone posted on the speculation thread that they envisioned the W2MN maze containing Alice look-alikes, and it sucking out loud. If that was the case, I'd call that a suck-fest, too. I'm envisioning more along the lines of how Freddy appeared in areas of his mazes - using video and scrims. So I'm guessing Alice will make a couple of appearances via video only, and they will use their best effort to disguise the video. But scareactors dressed as Alice? I'm praying that's not going to happen.

Oh jeez. If the scareactors are all just versions of AC in different outfits, that would suck! I'm praying along with you. My hope is that they use the flexibility of this theme to give us some really unique, original places and monsters (like the mask that Murdy posted). I want this to free them to use their imaginations, instead of just walking through a loud AC music video. This could really go either way.

I feel like a bit of an ass saying this... but... I LOVE THIS! Music is so damn subjective... and to put it bluntly Murdy almost has a fetish for Alice... he loves the guy. Give Cooper some respect... he is the original shock star... the original person who combined horror elements with hard rock... like him or not give him some credit, because there would be no rob zombie or Marilyn Manson without Alice Cooper. Also even though we(as a group) didn't like Vampire it still scared the hell out of me and I jumped SEVERAL times... give Murdy's twisted mind a chance. With the quality he's brought to HHN do any of you really think he'll be okay with something like brutal planet? REALLY? This is Universal... quality is key... quit you're bitching and lets all be happy.

Okay, here it is.

The DTH316 HHN 2011 Address in regards to Alice Cooper's Welcome to My Nightmare:

I'm sure all of you know of my dissatisfaction with this announcement. If you have read the speculation boards, you can see I hated this idea. But I took a moment to recollect myself. And within that time frame, I journeyed over to Murdy's Twitter page. I read through all of his postings and I can see he is VERY excited about this. It struck a chord with me, I can only imagine how he feels being able to fulfill a life long dream. So with that said, I'm on board with this idea that he is VERY passionate about but NOT for the content but because this is Murdy's dream... er, nightmare. So as a fan of John Murdy and Halloween Horror Nights, I have decided to be more optimistic about the prospect HHN 2011 presents us with Alice Cooper's Welcome to My Nightmare. I fully back Murdy's decisions and hope him the best that this maze comes out magnificent. However, I am still NOT excited about what the maze is but I am exciting for Murdy and team on what this maze represents for them - - a childhood dream come true. I am willing to give the maze a chance, as I do with all the other offerings every year but I'm still not convinced this is a good idea. And I'm still angered about the lack of choosing some of the more obscure properties that I'm sure as hell would've made an awesome maze. It's like someone else said, it's like a slap in the face when talking about demand and criteria. He MAY be doing this JUST for himself and just for Alice Cooper but I'm sure he's going to do the best of his abilities to make this a crowd pleaser not just for the fans but also anyone who may attend HHN this year. With all that said, consider this at the VERY bottom of my anticipation list for this year and from what we've seen and heard (Alice scareactors everywhere? Good God...), I'm only convinced that this can only come out in disaster. But I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt that it has the potential to be nothing short of amazing. Since this will be on the Lower Lot (I'm pretty sure, if it's in the HoH consider all my negative feelings erased...), this will be one of the very first mazes I hit since I like to save "the best for last." The sooner I get it out of the way and see the truth once and for all, the better. Thank you for your time if you have read this and I hope we can all look forward to the much more brighter aspects of the year. Whether you're excited for this maze or not, let's have another kick ass and fun year at Universal Studios Hollywood. God speed and good luck to Murdy and his team, in hopes he can pull this together and it can be something great.

Whether you're excited for this maze or not, let's have another kick ass and fun year at Universal Studios Hollywood. God speed and good luck to Murdy and his team, in hopes he can pull this together and it can be something great.

Here here!!! You have every right ot be disappointed just as the AC fans out there have a right to be psyched. I've said it before but variety is good. The odds of everyone loving every theme for the mazes is nil and none. Hopefully there's something for everyone. No need for these people lashing out at each other. We're all on the same side here :)

Only 50-some days until HHN 2011 :D

This is Universal... quality is key... quit you're bitching and lets all be happy.

just like the people who dont like this idea are respecting the opions of the people who like this idea please do the same for the ones who dont like it any futher "Quit Bitching" statements will be deleted from this point on.

DTH makes a good point yet again the more of the anger is that this was picked over other things and Murdy's rules have been broken by himself, Fact: yes I not a fan of Alice Cooper, I am a fan of Rob Zombie and other modern horror rock bands of today and I respect Alice Cooper for what he has done but Im not a fan of Alice Cooper and I dont like this concept that my opion but iI am a fan of Murdy's work and HHN so for the Millionth time I will give this maze a chance Im just saying its a big slap in the face when Evil Dead TrT and Scream has been shot down for this idea.