HHN 2011: Alice Cooper's Welcome to My Nightmare

Freak

I disagree! It's like calling Lord of the Rings original when it's based off a book.

Peter Jackson created it all from his vision BUT he had book art, pictures, maps and even a 80s cartoon to be inspired off of.

At the end of the day, it can take liberties all it wants but - - there's a source material, end of story :)

Words off a page or lyrics from a song, there isn't much difference.

I'm sure it will entail "originality" but I wouldn't label it "original" as all the mazes have some form of originality as well (e.g. 80% of the kills in Kill, Jason, Kill).

Better yet, a greater example would be music videos.

The creators are assigned the task to create images and visuals based on the music & lyrics within the song that best represents the video.

It's not an original piece as they had something else be the building blocks to form it.

If they created the video first and then placed the music on top of it (without influence from watching the video), that'd suffice the original creation agreement.

The way I see it, this will be like walking through a 3 minute and 30 second music video.

You pretty much didn't refute a thing I said. I didn't say it was 100 percent original. I said it was more original then making copies of movie sets. And turning a song into a haunted house is not the same thing as turning a book into a movie.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a step towards big-budget originality. Murdy has said that this is from his mind, what he's always imagined while listening to Cooper. So yes, it is based on something else, therefor not original. But it is a step towards embracing originality more. If Murdy can put together a kick-ass maze out of this (the stuff from his brain) then I can see him pushing his bosses toward letting him come up with more original content. And they'd better start paying attention, because horror franchises are going to become few and far between. Check out this list of things done: NOES, F13, Halloween, TCM, Chucky, The Thing, Saw, Hostel, MBV, HoTC, and (possibly) Scream. Now, there may be a few franchises that can carry this thing for a couple of years (assuming they can get the rights), Evil Dead, TrT, etc, they will eventually run out of BIG names. Sure, new horror pops up every year, but anything big enough to carry the event? Not really. They need to move toward making the event itself the big name, like HHNO. Original icons and such. Alice Cooper may not be original, but it may give Murdy the opportunity to prove he has the cojones to pull off big budget unfamiliar fare.

You are absolutely correct. All of the big horror franchises have already been used and everything left has some cult following, but certainly aren't as iconic as Halloween, F13, NOES, TCM, Saw. The event needs to become its own brand instead of relying on certain movie brands. I do hope this shows Murdy and company that it's ok to branch out and do something new instead of, as Trev said, just recreating sets from famous movies.

And I was agreeing with you Trev! lol

There is originality, will be moreso than anything else before (except for the Asylum).

There's also a several pieces of source material to work from.

It'll be vastly original, I'm sure but it can't be 100% original and if it's not 100% original, then it's not original.

No debate required but I don't wanna be throwing out the term "original" loosely here as some people are.

One can take simple ideas from source material (Dracula, Frankenstein) and make them their own.

But Murdy is working with AC to get the maze to reflect the source material as oppose to Murdy working with Bram Stoker (uh... impossible but...) or using any films based on it as an influence.

I suppose the difference is the mythology and Murdy and co. can tweak what they want out of the Dracula legend, create new environments and characters without ever looking into the mythologies, stories or films to get inspiration.

However, Murdy HAS to go to the AC albums as inspiration as there is no general mythology of WTMN.

I hope we all understand what I mean! lol

I think what trev and me and some others are trying to say is it will have probably more original content than stuff based completely off his work. A.C is something out of the blue so its not something we will instantly recognize. So for ME personally judging by how i know nothing about his work i wont know what to expect....another thing common in original mazes. Even murdy tweeted how he's using his songs to create characters/scenes.

@HorrorNights I started designing the Alice Cooper maze by writing down lyrics to his songs that could inspire a scene/character. Will share some today.

Murdy creating HIS OWN characters and scenes are from a original standpoint to me. Therefore i stand by freakazoid when he says " this is a step towards originality "

So what we feared is true... all the monsters will be Alice Cooper (notice the paint around the eyes... that wasn't in the mold we saw)... someone just STOP this project now, geez.

Although, I do like this art better than the executioner dude.

Edited by DTH316

I dont think we should worry much about repeats of alice cooper throughout the maze. Anyways at first i was skeptical on this maze but now im excited for it. The fact its a "Nightmare" can give Murdy almost endless things to work with. I love to see how this will turn out. I'm not familiar with his music so everything will be a surprise me

I am totally excited for this maze! Probably right behind The Thing on my list of stuff I am most pumped for this year. Haters gonna hate but I for one can't wait to see what Murdy and Chris do with what pretty much boils down to a blank slate. I am also hoping that this maze marks the return of large scale puppetry to HHN. Way back in the day (before the hiatus) I was a maze actor (at that point USH only referred to street monsters as ScareActors) in Clive Barker's Harvest. For those of you who never went through, it was a maze dreamt up by Mr. Barker and Chris and it was sort of a cross between Alien and (a non cheesy version of) Plan 9 from Outer Space in which nasty little aliens called Vipex were incubating their eggs and young in the corpses within an ancient cemetery. While incubating the alien larvae would control the corpses and would eventually hatch out of their stomachs, infiltrating the sewers and growing to imense size. There were two large puppets used - a giant slimey Vipex "vagina" that would pulsate disgustingly and spray water on guests and a huge fully grown Vipex with amoving jaw that would attack from a darkened tunnel at teh end of the maze. Imagine the mining vehicle gag in MBV but way cooler. At any rate, I would love to see this type of thing reintroduced. Giant spiders and snakes would fit the bill perfectly in my estimation.

And to all the haters: you ought to do your Alice Cooper homework before counting this maze out. His music is totally kick ass (and I am not even particularly a fan of the style) and his on stage theatrics are legendary and ridiculously cool. Even just seeing Wayne's World should be enough to prove to anyone that it is the perfect fodder for a haunted attraction. There is no reason to be bummed about a maze before you go through it. Uni hasn't let us down yet so I don't expect they will now. :)

And to all the haters: you ought to do your Alice Cooper homework before counting this maze out. His music is totally kick ass (and I am not even particularly a fan of the style) and his on stage theatrics are legendary and ridiculously cool. Even just seeing Wayne's World should be enough to prove to anyone that it is the perfect fodder for a haunted attraction. There is no reason to be bummed about a maze before you go through it. Uni hasn't let us down yet so I don't expect they will now. :)

well we never doubt it would be good or noit its just although for myself as a fan of horror rock (misfits, Rob Zombie, and even more modern bands like aiden and Motionless in White) I give Alice cooper the most credit for what he did for the genera I just would of rather something else and I know Im gonna enjoy this its just it dont appeal to much to me.

http://themeparkadventurenews.blogspot.com/2011/08/exclusive-universal-halloween-horror.html

More artwork, with another Alice Cooper monster, as expected.

Well to be fair there IS a non-Alice monster and yes, Alice as a mad doctor which looks awesome. Again, I don't know what the problem is with having multiple "versions" of Alice (or Alice monsters or whatever) throughout the maze. Was there a problem with having mutiple Jasons or multiple Shapes in their respective mazes? Not at all. If anything, this maze is going to give us cooler and more original monsters than ever - some based on Alice himself and some not. I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be the best maze of the year.

Um, the problem is Alice isn't a flippin monster of horror as Jason and Michael Myers were.

And to create him into one looks stupid. Not scary at all.

Haha... an Alice Cooper monster? IDK, it was already enough that most of the monsters in the maze are based off the lyrics in his songs and Cooper's own "nightmares." Seeing a Cooper Monster is ridiculous at this point.

If Uni's gonna do another maze based on a musician, they ought to create a one called "Rebecca Black's Friday the 13th."

THAT would be terrifying! :lol: