HHN "Coffee Table" Book

Talk of a Halloween Horror Nights "Coffee Table" Book has come up again with the 20th Anniversary of HHN upon us next year. If we start some mature discussion of what we would like to see in such a book, maybe the Universal higher-ups will let A&D create such a collectible.

I'd love it to include the history of HHN 1-19, with some inclusion of 20.. from thr fisrt "thoughts and concepts" of creating Fright Nights, and then involving to what we know it has today, Halloween Horror Nights. Inclusions of Concept Art, Blueprints, Set Design, Behind the Scenes pictures, etc. How they came up with the idea for an "Icon" and the creation of them.

Even a DVD/BluRay to go along with the book would be awesome, with footage from the shows (B&T, Main Stage, RHPS, etc), House and SZ footage. Planning of the Webpage design, and interviews with the A&D team, former and current. A 20th Anniversary Documentary so to speak.

What would you like to see?

I agree with both of you on what I'd like to see in it. I would be very interested in seeing all the "making of" details and house pictures. I think this would be an amazing book to have. Maybe a bio and background of all the icons and mascots that we've had, along with pictures.

I agree with both of you on what I'd like to see in it. I would be very interested in seeing all the "making of" details and house pictures. I think this would be an amazing book to have. Maybe a bio and background of all the icons and mascots that we've had, along with pictures.

yea like a inside look on house construction,the process of interveiwing scare actors,process of custome making and make up.i think they should have been doing that evry year same with makeing a video,i know all of us on here would buy them,plus UO will be making extra money off it!

yea like a inside look on house construction,the process of interveiwing scare actors,process of custome making and make up.i think they should have been doing that evry year same with makeing a video,i know all of us on here would buy them,plus UO will be making extra money off it!

I just don't know if they would see it as enough extra money to go through the process of making them. Because I know there are a lot of people on here and on the vault that would buy it, but what about the general public? They would probably think about that too, because if only a minority will buy it then I don't think they would even bother. I think they should no matter what though, because this would be a kickass book.

I'd love to see as much concept artwork as possible. I'm fascinated by the event design process and the steps it takes to get to the end product. As someone else said, nice high-res pictures and more in-depth info on the icons would be great, too.

• 3 weeks later...

I think if they do start this (which would be A-MAZING) they should do it after this year, so its kinda like the first 20 years-ish? Kind of a collector's edition anniversary thing. No matter how many years they include, it would be EPIC.

The dvd is an even better idea, just a lil peek of the back stage, actors, how it all came together...*sigh* if only if only.

I think if they do start this (which would be A-MAZING) they should do it after this year, so its kinda like the first 20 years-ish? Kind of a collector's edition anniversary thing. No matter how many years they include, it would be EPIC.

The dvd is an even better idea, just a lil peek of the back stage, actors, how it all came together...*sigh* if only if only.

It would be too big of an expense for them to do it every year. But I think the 20th anniversary of HHN would be a great year for it.

The "20th Anniversary" idea would be great for HHN as a coffee table book. It would be pretty cool to see 20 years in the making. As most die-hard fans of HHN would do whatever they could to get a hold of one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The idea of an "archive book" has been thrown around for quite some time.

It's an intriguing concept, in theory, but the execution of it would be a nightmare in terms of securing the rights to mention past icons and aspects of the event that are copyrighted.

Factor in the overall price that the book would need to be set at to turn a profit and you have an idea that has a slim chance of ever observing the light of day.

There's this book about the making of the movie "Trick 'r Treat" called "Trick 'r Treat: Tales of Mayhem, Mystery, and Mischief". I only mention it because the execution of the book is absolutely wonderful and intriguing, with pull-out comics, masks and various other goodies (I mentioned this in a thread in the vault). There's a video on the book's product page on Amazon.com that really shows a good example of what's inside.

I think if uni A&D were to take some notes from that book they could create something truly amazing. Besides, who says people wouldn't buy it? Look at "Cirque Du Soleil: 20 Years Under the Sun" thats almost exactly what everyone has been asking for with the hhn book, and it still sells relatively well to tourists in vegas and orlando (and this is a book that can be ordered and bought at ANY book store)

The HHN 20 Years book could be limited edition (say 10,000 to 100,000 printings) Since this is the kind of obscure product that not many average tourists would buy uni could easily slap the "limited edition" card on it then jack the prices up to $60(give or take) a pop. Being smart they'd expect the major fans to rush and buy a copy as quickly as possible for fear of missing out on the opportunity to own "a piece of Horror Nights history" even regular passing tourists with extra dough would likely be interested. If they kept them on the shelves at both Uni and IOA, during and after the event, they could make a killing.

Edited by the follower

• 8 months later...

Not that this is exactly what people are talking about, but I've been mulling over the thought of self-publishing a book of HHN photos. I only have photos from the past few years, and I certainly don't have access to the HHN "Archives," but I think it might be a nice way to commemorate each year of the event. I'd thought about trying to get a few other HHN photographers involved so it's not just my work (there are a lot of great photos and photogs out there).

I can't speculate on cost or things like that, as this idea is embryonic at this stage, but would there be any interest in something like that?

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm. Interesting find. From the jacket description, it seems to encompass HHN Orlando, HHN Hollywood and HOS. I'd be curious as to whether it's a travel book, a history-of-the-event type book, or a photo book. Then again, for $50, it's a little difficult to take that leap of faith and try it out.

There is this book linked from the HHNrumors site.

Its a bit pricey for an 84 page paperback... But I would really like to see this one.

As Chip said, it does seem to include most FL Halloween Events, thus making it nothing official from Universal. I'd like to see more information on it though, even a cover and back cover.

As Chip said, it does seem to include most FL Halloween Events, thus making it nothing official from Universal. I'd like to see more information on it though, even a cover and back cover.

Right well The good doctor did some research on it. Looks like the company who makes the book has a habit of stealing wiki sites, making books, and selling them really expensive.

• 3 weeks later...

Right well The good doctor did some research on it. Looks like the company who makes the book has a habit of stealing wiki sites, making books, and selling them really expensive.

I bet anyone who spends the cash and purchases that would be very upset to know they could've found the same information for free online...LOL I tell ya some of these companies out there!

Thanks for sharing, very interesting find none the less.