Lambier's Most Excellent Halloween Adventure

Lambier

Alright, so seeing as this is my first HHN that I'm a member of the forum, this will be my first event review :] As some of you may have noticed, I've been pretty absent the past month or so. This is because

A. I was worried about succombing to temptation and reading something about the event before I went.

and

B. Going to the event, spilling my guts, here, and ruining it for some other easily tempted soul.

But I'm back >;) And ready to dish about the amazing weekend I spent at HHN. I was somehow, by the grace of God, able to do all the houses and shows on the Saturday I went. Showing up early really pays off ;) (PS...if this gets a little lengthy, I apologize. Sometimes when I start writing I can't stop hah)

I attended HHN XX on October 2nd. I had actually been at HowlOScream the previous night, scoping out the competition(and seeing if it was as big a fuss as some of it's loyal Tampa clientel made it out to be) So I was already in the ready-to-be-spooked spirit by the time Saturday night rolled around....

Hallow'd Past:

This was the first house I went into and let me just say, I had some very high expectations for it. I had heard so many rumors, so many ideas floating around about it, that I could barely contain myself when we got into the line. We didn't wait long (5 minutes at the most) then rushed inside. The first room, the warehouse room, was very impressive. My inner fangirl was sqeueling when I saw the Terra Queen's motercylce and all the Freddy Hats hung neatly on the wall. I was actually verbally pointing things out as we walked along to the people I was with :] Anyway, as we ventured into the actual haunted house part, I was not let down. Every corner had me frightened and it was a delight to see the return of some old favoites (Alice, the Body Collectors, and so on.) And the last room? FORGET ABOUT IT. All the icons in there scared me shitless!!! It had always been a dream of mine to be scared by the Director in an actual hoiuse, seeing as I have never been during a year where he was present. I got that wish. :D Overall, probably one of my favorite houses of the evening. I had actually planned on going back and doing it again, but alas, time didn't permit us. But still <3 What a wonderful house it was.

Catacombs: Black Death Rising: I had absolutely no opinion either way about this house before I went in. I actually assumed it would be one of my "filler" houses (aka the houses I wander into only if time permits me and I've done everything else on the list.) But seeing as it was right beside Hallow'd Past and my group was eager as ever, we wandered in. The wait time was also 5 minutes, even though we got a bit of a show in line. We actually watched them parade the scareactors by to do a cast change for Hallow'd past. I think it was SO CLEVER of Universal to put the icons in robes. Not only did it give them such an eerie feel, but it added to the effect of the event.

Anyway, my opinion of Catacombs changed instantly when I walked inside. I can honestly say I have NEVER been afraid inside of a house the way I was afraid in there. I screamed as though someone were actually trying to kill me. The house felt very fast paced (though I wonder if it's because there were still very few people in line; the night had just begun, after all.) I felt like scareactors were popping out of every corner. By the time I got out, my heart was pounding and I was dizzy. What an incredible house!!!!! My hats off to the cast who worked in there-bravo.

Havoc: Dogs of War: Ok so I'll be honest. Before going to the park, Havoc was the house I was least excited for. I thought the idea of it was very clique and I didn't expect anything but a couple of so-so scares inside. As a matter of fact, seeing as I usually don't have time to go in all the houses, I was willing to skip it for the sake of time. But after Catacombs and all the adreniline pumping through out systems, it seemed like a horrible idea to waste a house. It was only 7:30 and I figured that if anything, a quick walk through Havoc would get my heartrate back down to a normal number. Boy was I wrong. Havoc turned out to be one of the most, if not the most, intense houses in the park!! It was nothing like I thought it was going to be. And let me just say, to all the women in Havoc who shaved yoiur heads, that is true dedication and I have the utmost respect for you. You made a sacrifice for Fear and it was well worth it, let me assure you. Every actor was on their A-Game and there wasn't a single room with a disappointment in it. Those guys in the sewer drains scared me witless (I even got patted on the head by one, which would count the first time me getting touched by a scareactor at HHN. COOL! hah) Needless to say, I came out of Havoc a rabid fan and only wish I could have had more.

Orfanage: Ashes to Ashes: this was my most anticipated house of the night. We have been waiting for Cindy for so long after all; I was anxious to finally meet her. This was probably the second longest line we did all night (30 minutes) and right before we went in, we witnessed yet another cast change. The fact the scareactors stay in character, holding hands, and I think one of them was singing lol, really added to the effect.

Once inside, we got held up only twice in the rooms. It was very smokey in the there and a little hard to breath. I think maybe it was because the cast was still getting situated, but we didn't have as many scares as I would have liked. I think maybe my sky-high expectations for the house also had something to do with it. However, I was pleased as all get-out with Cindy. She was adorable, creepy, and so cute! While I left the house a little sad the orfanage wasn't what I had in mind, I took pleasure in the fact Cindy was everything I dreampt of. I have a definite feeling this is not the last we've seen of HHN's little sweetheart...

Zombiegeddon: The Zombie Awareness Program: Alright, I knew this was going to be the cheese house before I even came to the park. I mean...look at the name. If that doesn't say it all, then I don't know what does. The queue was fan; I guess because of it's location that I was having severe Leave it to Cleaver flashbacks. The video was laugh out loud funny though; my friends and I now use the word "badassery" in our everyday conversation lol. However, once inside, I feel like it fell flat. There were no big scares and the whole time, I found myself recalling LITC, only I actually enjoyed that house more. I mean, it was fun and very creative, just not as scary in my book. Which was a shame because I feel like there was a hell of a lot you could do with the idea they presented.

Hades: Gates of Ruin: Ok, so interesting story. About two weeks before HHN, my best friend forced me to watch Clash of the Titans with her. I ended up loving the movie and when I realized alot of the themes could probably be seen in the upcoming Hades house, we both flipped out. Now fast forward to that wonderful Saturday.......I was having nostalgia walking back to the line for this house because it was reminding me so much of my first year (2008) and the Body Collectors house. Once inside the house, I found myself getting terrified and excited around every turn. It was fun to point out the beasts as we saw them (cyclops, medusa, the fates) and still managed to get the bejesus scared out of us. One of the memebers of my party got so scared, she accidentally clawed me in the face. I had a lovely little mark there for a week or so to remind me of the fun fear we encountered. The house itself was gorgeous, A&D really outdid themselves. There were a couple times I had to look up at the roof and remind myself I wasn't really in hell...

Psychoscarepy: Echoes of the Past: I had mixed emotions about this house. I had never had the pleasure of going inside a Psychoscarepy house before, so I was excited for that. But at the same time, I wasn't sure what to expect. Was it going to be ghosts? Or inmates who have long since been forgotten in the empty hallways of ShadyBrook? My questions were answered as we approached the beautiful house and ventured inside. From the very first room with the very eerie receptionist, I knew we were going to be in for a treat. The hallway with all the hands sticking out of the cells was brilliant (There were people in front of us who refused to go down the hallway at first becuase they were so terrified.) And.....did anyone else notice the woman who bore a striking resemblance to Mary Agana in the room with the electroshock therapy? It could have just been my imagination...

Legendary Truth: The Wyandot Estate: Longest wait of the night, seeing as they were only letting 20 people in at a time, but wow was it worth it. The house was stunning and there wwere things inside that, while they scared me half to death, made me marvel at what could be in the years to come. The people in the floor and in the walls, that "floating" ghost, and the girl in the bed.....oh my. OH MY. Talk about a scaregasm. If this is any indication of what's to come in the future, then I cannot wait!!

As for the scarezones, I was very imprressed with the HHN: Twenty years of fear (I was unexpectedbly snuck up on by the wolfman and I enjoyed watching people's reactions to the crypt keeper. Hehehee....) and of course, how could I not love Fear Revealed? The Icons were on their game and so much fun (even though Jack the Clown refused to take a freaking picture with me -___- I followed him around his zone, trying to get him to do it but alas...No picture. We did get a good one of me following him though....). To be honest, the only disappointing part of Fear Revealed was FEAR!!! He stood there in his green robe and did nothing. I actually thought his little lantern minions were scarier than he was.

As for the rest of the scarezones, they were fun, but not so scary for me. I got only one scare in the two times I wandered through ZombieGras (which was probably the biggest let down for me of the night.). The Coven scarezone was super creative and well done, but the location of it was miserable. I feel it would have been alot better if it had been elsewhere. And the Esquelto Muerte was more gorgeous than scary. I was too busy being impressed by the colors and the costumes to really get spooked. As for Saws and Steam....well....they tried. The chainsaw drill team was as fun as ever though :D It's always such a riot to watch them chase after the unsuspecting little girls...I love it!!!

Bill and Ted, dispite all the negative rumors I heard, really pulled it out for me. Thanks to our friend who had insisted on using a wheelchair because she feared hurting her back (she had surgery a few months back.), we had front row seats and lots and lots of cast interaction. Best part of the show? Getting a high five from Linsey Lohan, being seranated by Robert Pattinson, and watching Ted push Bella away when we sceamed we loved him. In short? MOST EXCELLENT. I hope whoever takes over directing duties next year understands they have some big shoes to fill.

I also got to catch both Brian Brushwood shows. I was surprised at how short they were, but I do take back the negative things I said about him. He turned out to be a really fun entertainer and really goood at what he does. I hope if he graces us with his presence at next's year's festivities, it'll be with a longer show.

Well, there you have it: my review. I know not all of you will agee with what I had to say, and that's alright. What's a good scare without a little controversy, am I right? ;D And hell, I don't know about you guys, but I'm pretty much ready to start speculating on next year ;) hehe Happy Hauntings <3

And, about Jack in Fear Revealed? Yeah, he was kind of a dick about taking pictures. It was very annoying especially because ALL the other icons were so cool about it. Even Eddie!

He could have, quite possibly, been told not to take pictures with people, considering Universal was charging for pictures with Jack across the park.

He could have, quite possibly, been told not to take pictures with people, considering Universal was charging for pictures with Jack across the park.

Ahhhhhh.... Didn't even think about that. Interesting. I just thought he was being one of those "I'm here to SCARE, not take pictures" SA's. But you very well could be right. Hmmmm.

Ahhhhhh.... Didn't even think about that. Interesting. I just thought he was being one of those "I'm here to SCARE, not take pictures" SA's. But you very well could be right. Hmmmm.

I would strongly suspect this is correct. I got a photo with him opening night, pretty sure it was cast A. And I've had a TON of other interaction with him, especially in the last weekend. But I don't think I started hearing about the "no photos" until after photo op Jack was on the scene.

Anyhoo, I think all the SA's did an awesome job of doing their primary scaring, and still being nice enough to stop for some photos without it turning into a Scooby Doo meet and greet line.

Not that there's anything wrong with Scooby Doo, I wub him too.

Scooby.jpg

Funny thing is, I saw him taking pictures with some other people! My friend and I did come up with a theory though......I had heard a rumor that wearing a Disney shirt to the park would get me more scares, so we conducted a little expieriement. I put on my nightmare before christmas tee and she had on a HowloScream one. We got quite a few people hounding us, but we wondered if maybe that's what repelled the clown king of terror lol