Harry's coming...and he came...

Harry Warden

Alrighty. This is my first review of any HHN event after attending for 5 year (working 3 of those.) I'm one of the biggest chicken $#!%s you'll ever know. I am really jumpy and easily scared. At least I was. Heck I didn't even go through one house the 1st year I ever attended HHN I spent all my time at the Bill & Ted show (Sweet 16 btw). Over the next couple years I did more and more houses. When I started working them as a scareactor then I managed to get the cojones to see every house.

Only problem is I think I'm now becoming desensitized because I've worked it for 3 years. I don't know, of course it could be that combined with a lot of alcohol and it was very hard to scare me on Saturday.

So this was my only day off...my reviews might not be completely spot on. I just know I want to go through them at night and completely sober and not exhausted from scaring all night, but unfortunately I do not foresee me being able to change many of them since I probably wont be able to get another chance in them.

Lets begin....Scarezones first…

Esqueleto Muerte:

I liked it. Very creepy. I avoided it until nightfall because I wanted the full effect of the blacklights. I liked the scareactors coming out of the coffins. One made me jump. I love the costumes, so cool looking. Scare factor not high (though I had one good startle.) But then again, it was designed to be more creepy than scary, and they got that.

B+

Coven:

I had high hopes for this one, but it never really met them. I really liked the concept of it but it was not pulled off right. There are too many random types of witches in there when you have at both ends a guy burning on a stake and he looks like he's from the Salem Witch Trials. I was hoping for those kind of witches. I mean there are a few, but I don't get or like the one by the pillar and the many shtrigas in there. I liked picking on the guys on the stakes, they were fun and (from a guy's POV) there was eye candy in there...

B-

Zombie Gras:

Almost worthless. I should be in favor of this one since its connected to my house directly, but my one big BIG problem is not enough scareactors. It doesnt feel like a zombie infestation. And one zombie (can't remember what she looked like) it was a screamer. Would walk up behind people, scream in their ear and scamper away...ZOMBIES DON'T SCREAM...worst scarezone as most comments I've read agree.

D

Chainsaw Drill Team:

Wow...more worthless than Zombie Gras. Come on! I take back my previous comment about ZG being worst scarezone…

The Drill Team has been talked up so much in the past to have it ruined this year. Everytime I walked through they weren't doing "drills". And why the hell was it put right next to Saws and Steams...there are chainsaws all over there! Why not put it in Kidzone where there is NOTHING!

D-

Saw and Steam:

Definitely one of my top scarezones. Everytime I go through here a chainsaw gets me good...in fact I think it’s been the same guy too! I think it’s a great combination and amount of "show", victims, fog and scareactors. I love the "minions". The guys with the goggles that look like the minions from Despicable Me. (Not bias because one is my girlfriend's roommate)

A

Fear Revealed:

Ok...lets hype this guy up for a HUGE let down. Loved the concept. I don't like him. He looks stupid. I can't say anything more about that.

D (only because he's the Icon)

20 Years of Fear:

My other favorite. How can it not be good with all the memorable characters from the past? Yes...some were from well before my time, but most I can relate to and they are awesome! I saw some of the best scares here. The lone chainsaw guy rocks! I love that I could finally get me some pics with Icons. Had to see the Usher since I was in his house last year. Overall I love this zone.

A

Now for the Houses…

Catacombs:

Loved the historical aspect of the house. Read the signs outside, they’re cool. I love history. Great façade, just not very scary to me. Again I loved the historical stuff as far down as the doctors’ costumes. This house was better than I expected it to be. I have only one question…where was the white Spy?

B-

Havoc

Stupid concept, but I had one really good scare in there. And I give the scareactors, especially the women, major props for shaving their heads. I found myself trying to push buttons, literally, in the house trying to find something like in Psychoscarapy.

C+

Hallowed Past

Much of this house made no sense to me because it was before my time at HHN. But there was a lot in there that I could relate to so it made it cool. Had a couple friends in there that attacked me so I had a lot of fun. I can’t remember too much I was kind of inebriated when we went through. But I know I had fun…and for Invaderbutters who would get this…I saw him! OH, PIGFACE!! (or at least the costume)

B+

Orphanage

A little let down…no pun intended with little. When I heard about “live fire” I was excited to see what they did. I thought it was kind of lame. I went through twice, I’d like to go again because I really feel like these “kids” could scare the crap out of me. But I want to go through at night and not drunk.

B

Zombiegeddon

I’m kind of partial to this house. But still not my #1. It is my unbiased #2. I love my cast they rock! I haven’t had the privilege of seeing our counterparts yet. But this house was such a well put together house from story to execution. I love the little “zombie homages” in there. From George Savini and Tom Romero to Ash’s chainsaw on the wall in the gun room. A frozen zombie in an S-Mart uniform (its kind of hard to notice) and my personal favorite…a sign in the gun room under the register saying “Free Twinkies with every purchase”. Epic. I also love our Zombie baby who I hear has been named Steve. But going into there seeing that stuff, and listening to Scott going off on his megaphone…I still think its Universal’s best and worst idea giving him a megaphone (love you Scott!). You go in thinking its going to be all humor and then, literally, BANG! (float crash) and everything turns 28 Days Later. It’s a great combination.

One last thing…please look for me in the Carnival room. I’m on the right as soon as you go through the “car wash curtain”. I’m the one trying to bite everyone.

A

Psychoscarapy

My only complaint is I wished I could see more of the scareactors instead of just arms. That being said, set is amazing, make up on the scareactors is what I would have rather seen on those in another house as well, in which I’ll talk about soon. I have a ton of friends in this house, so yea, I’m a little biased. I love there’s a “Bloody Mary” in there…that, and I even openly admit, was my house during Reflections…I know it sucked. I had a few good startles in there so I wound up really liking this house, friends or no friends in it.

A-

Hades

My favorite house of all. I went in thinking I would love it and it did not let me down. I love, love, LOVE Greek Mythology, so my inner geek comes out in there. Some of the costumes are a bit cheesy but it doesn’t bother me because I’m too busy getting the crap scared out of me. Cyclops got me, a couple soldiers got me. I’d have to quote Bruce Campbell. “I’d hate to break it to you big guy…you’ve got harpies…” They got me. Medusa in both spots everytime. My two favorite scares was the Minotaur (I don’t want to ruin the scare for anyone) and, as my Facebook status has said…Damn raptors…The lizardman scare the living…you know what out of me. My girlfriend and bestfriend were cracking up so much over that one.

Let me tell you…go through there during the day because you’re eyes won’t adjust and you cant see anything…makes it even scarier!

My only complaint is the same as most…There’s a throne but where is Hades?!

A+

Legendary Truth

Worse thing about HHN this year. Ya know, by hobby, I’m a ghost hunter or seeker or whatever you want to call it. So I was totally excited by this house. For me this was the biggest let down of the entire event. Hearing about all these great effects that were going to be use but I thought there was nothing special about it. I don’t get what people like about it. My group that I went with still argues with me.

I’m going to first say what I didn’t like about it, then end this on a good note. Those masks are TERRIBLE. I thought I took a wrong turn and found myself in the Magic Kingdom watching Spectromagic. Ya know those funny looking things playing the horns. Why does every ghost’s face look the same? It would have been better to ditch the glowing masks and use some kind of glowing makeup. The kid in the bed…wow so scary waving a bed sheet at me…ha! Just like the stereotypical ghost! I love the façade. That, the chair and statues are the only saving graces of this house. So much potential lost…

D (and that’s being nice)

As for the shows. I didn’t, don’t, and probably never will go to Brian Brushwood. So I can’t comment on that.

Bill & Ted:

…wow…well it IS the worst one I’ve seen. To me it’s just gone downhill a little every year. This one just slid down the rest of the way. Don’t get me wrong, I was entertained. Some of the choices on skits and characters left me wondering…why? I don’t want to spoil anything from it. My only suggestion…go in with very low expectations like me and my buddy did, and you, like us, might find yourself liking it a little bit.

C-

Well that’s my 2 cents. Take it how you will. Some of it I wish I had the opportunity to reconsider but I don’t think I’ll be able to give those areas a chance to change my mind. I don’t have any more days off. If by some chance I do take another day maybe I will update this with more positive reviews.

Overall event grade: B+

Chainsaw Drill Team:

why the hell was it put right next to Saws and Steams...there are chainsaws all over there! Why not put it in Kidzone where there is NOTHING!

Hades

Let me tell you…go through there during the day because you’re eyes won’t adjust and you cant see anything…makes it even scarier!

Legendary Truth

I love the façade. That, the chair and statues are the only saving graces of this house. So much potential lost…

Yep.

Zombiegeddon

Im kind of partial to this house. But still not my #1. It is my unbiased #2. I love my cast they rock! I havent had the privilege of seeing our counterparts yet. But this house was such a well put together house from story to execution. I love the little zombie homages in there. From George Savini and Tom Romero to Ashs chainsaw on the wall in the gun room. A frozen zombie in an S-Mart uniform (its kind of hard to notice) and my personal favorite…a sign in the gun room under the register saying Free Twinkies with every purchase. Epic. I also love our Zombie baby who I hear has been named Steve. But going into there seeing that stuff, and listening to Scott going off on his megaphone…I still think its Universals best and worst idea giving him a megaphone (love you Scott!). You go in thinking its going to be all humor and then, literally, BANG! (float crash) and everything turns 28 Days Later. Its a great combination.

Psychoscarapy

My only complaint is I wished I could see more of the scareactors instead of just arms. That being said, set is amazing, make up on the scareactors is what I would have rather seen on those in another house as well, in which Ill talk about soon. I have a ton of friends in this house, so yea, Im a little biased. I love theres a Bloody Mary in there…that, and I even openly admit, was my house during Reflections…I know it sucked. I had a few good startles in there so I wound up really liking this house, friends or no friends in it.

A-

Hades

My favorite house of all. I went in thinking I would love it and it did not let me down. I love, love, LOVE Greek Mythology, so my inner geek comes out in there. Some of the costumes are a bit cheesy but it doesnt bother me because Im too busy getting the crap scared out of me. Cyclops got me, a couple soldiers got me. Id have to quote Bruce Campbell. Id hate to break it to you big guy…youve got harpies… They got me. Medusa in both spots everytime. My two favorite scares was the Minotaur (I dont want to ruin the scare for anyone) and, as my Facebook status has said…Damn raptors…The lizardman scare the living…you know what out of me. My girlfriend and bestfriend were cracking up so much over that one.

Let me tell you…go through there during the day because youre eyes wont adjust and you cant see anything…makes it even scarier!

My only complaint is the same as most…Theres a throne but where is Hades?!

A+

Legendary Truth

Worse thing about HHN this year. Ya know, by hobby, Im a ghost hunter or seeker or whatever you want to call it. So I was totally excited by this house. For me this was the biggest let down of the entire event. Hearing about all these great effects that were going to be use but I thought there was nothing special about it. I dont get what people like about it. My group that I went with still argues with me.

Im going to first say what I didnt like about it, then end this on a good note. Those masks are TERRIBLE. I thought I took a wrong turn and found myself in the Magic Kingdom watching Spectromagic. Ya know those funny looking things playing the horns. Why does every ghosts face look the same? It would have been better to ditch the glowing masks and use some kind of glowing makeup. The kid in the bed…wow so scary waving a bed sheet at me…ha! Just like the stereotypical ghost! I love the façade. That, the chair and statues are the only saving graces of this house. So much potential lost…

D (and thats being nice)

Great review!

So it's so interesting that the Zombies in your house are freed by the crashed float. I completely did NOT get that by walking through the house. It's a great idea and makes the house so much better. But I don't think it's nearly clear enough.

Where was Bloody Mary in PsychoScareapy?

Hades- great house but, yeah, what's the deal with the empty throne. What an odd decision!

And I liked Legendary Truth far better than you but I completely agree about the masks!!! They took away from the experience so much! I said the same thing: "why didn't they just paint their faces with glow in the dark paint?" It would have been far creepier!

Edited by Creeper06

Great review!

So it's so interesting that the Zombies in your house are freed by the crashed float. I completely did NOT get that by walking through the house. It's a great idea and makes the house so much better. But I don't think it's nearly clear enough.

Where was Bloody Mary in PsychoScareapy?

Hades- great house but, yeah, what's the deal with the empty throne. What an odd decision!

And I liked Legendary Truth far better than you but I completely agree about the masks!!! They took away from the experience so much! I said the same thing: "why didn't they just paint their faces with glow in the dark paint?" It would have been far creepier!

Thanks for the compliment.

Technically its not "Bloody Mary" since Universal doesnt have the rights to her. But there is a female scareactor near the end that is dressed and looks like Mary Agana from 08. She is in the same room as the dummy in the electric chair

Technically its not "Bloody Mary" since Universal doesnt have the rights to her. But there is a female scareactor near the end that is dressed and looks like Mary Agana from 08. She is in the same room as the dummy in the electric chair

Ahhhh. Missed that. Damn!

See i saw he is the final padded room. From the UMTH tour, they alluded to Agana but said the message scrawled in feces was about her. Great review :)