2010 Scare Zone Reviews (Hollywood)

DTH316

Can't wait for the fog!!! WOOHOO!!!

God, I love the smell of that fog. It smells like Halloween and I LOVE it!

Anyway- I wanted to chime in on my thoughts on the Scarezones. However, in the interest of full disclosure, I don't spend tons of time in the Scare Zones. I'm usually too busy running from maze to maze. SO my thoughts on the SZ's are more impressions than anything else:

La Llorona- This SZ seems to be catching a lot of flack from the boards but I really enjoyed it. It's not exactly scary but it has tons of atmosphere. The Wild West street makes for perfect theming, it's nice and narrow which helps you be enveloped in the setting, lots of fog and, most importantly, completely original. More creepy and atmospheric than terrifying, but I'm ok with that. It's also much better later in the night when crowds are dispersed and this isn't such a bottle neck. I'm probably giving it bonus points just because it is COMPLETELY NEW. B+

Nightmarez- A complete rehash from the opening Zone in 2008. Just lazy. However, hot chicks gets it bumped up a tiny bit for me. C-

Clownz- Very well done but it seemed like it was the same as last year, just with clowns this time. All the scenic elements seem the same. But still effective and fun. B

Lunaticz- I only breezed through this zone so I didn't get a very throrough experience. But I still thought it had great atmosphere, lots of fog, good theming. I'm looking forward to spending more time here this weekend. B+

Freakz- My favorite SZ of the night. It helped that it's a quiet street which really helps the overall mood to it. Great masks, good scareactors, lots of fog, excellent theming, original content. Just worked for me on all fronts. A

Pigz- Another rehash from last year. Does the job, I guess, but nothing special about it. C-

Overall- I do love that there are 6 complete scarezones fit into such a small park. It really makes it feel like Halloween is EVERYWHERE and there are no dead areas (no pun intended... well, maybe a little). It realy helps the feel of the entire event. See you all there on Saturday :D

Edited by Creeper06

Alright here we go.. Scarezone reviews

Nightmarez: Same thing that has been said before. Nothing new but they were playing rock music.. Which is always good lol. Grade: C

Clownz: Great scarezone but felt a little too similar to WTH. Loved the scareactors though.. very aggressive. I was standing around the ice cream truck waiting for John Murdy and they kept coming at me! Got to meet him though.. Very nice guy, and he had his wolfman cane!!

Grade: A-

La Llorona: thnk I only saw her once and saw two of her dead chldren just walkng arond. Wasn't as good as the other scarezones.. It was just, ok. Grade: C+

Freakz; Amazing scarezone.. Again. Alot of fog just the way I like it. My group was the only one walkng it.. No other people around!! I got starker by one scareactor who I walked past and thought I would never see him again! Grade: A+

Lunaticz: Great scarezone. The talent was excellent. Loved the way they moved and walked. Didn't get scared or anythng but it was good. Grade:A

Pigs: only good thng is that I heard Hello Zep being played, so that raises it's grade lol. Grade:D

I havent heard one thing about la lorena or whatever it's called ? Not a thing mentioned on any you tube clips either ? WTF ?

Well, I think that may be because the scarezone stinks on ice. Seriously, walking down any street in Pacoima at night will have about the same atmosphere, but will be much scarier.

In the beginning of the season, the La Llorona characters wereacting ghostly - trying to float around the streets. That didn't work, so out came the shaker cans and it's pretty much a "Boo!" type of scarezone now. The La Llorona's now act more like vampires, hissing or screeching at you. It just doesn't work, but it was a cheap attempt to lure Hispanic guests (as if they get scared for different reasons).

Lunaticz has definitely earned the spot of my favorite scarezone this year! I love the pigs, but last year's scaring was a lot more consistent and aggressive down there. Anyways, Lunaticz go hard. The scareactors there will NOT leave you alone! I can't even drink water without a lunatic slamming his hammer on the fountain, scaring the thirst out of me! :lol:

One lunatic in particular has a saw and one bare hand.. that guy chases me like crazy so he can feel my afro, lmfao! He gets me every time. If I don't let him, I either get trapped in the bathroom or end up trapped in the phone booth getting harassed by him AND sliders. *Death!*

Lunaticz is my favorite scarezone without a doubt. ^^

I also enjoy Klownz/Nightmarez due to some of the scareactors recognizing and targeting me.

Lunaticz was freaking awesome with those strobe lights and the thick fog. I couldn't even see where I was going! Plus Freakz was awesome.

I just want to give a shout-out to Lizard Boy (aka Trevler). I saw you man! I was the guy in the black and gray stripped jacket also wearing the HHN XX shirt randomly yelling "Zoolander! Zoolander!" I told my two buddies to shout that and suddenly, they gained up on us! Even the stilt walker which was pretty freaky! :lol:

I loved the fact that even in the "dead areas", there were a couple of roaming Chucky soldiers in front of the Animal Actors show and a hidden bushman by Shrek. That's something Orlando hasn't done!

Edited by Freakazoid

Lunaticz was freaking awesome with those strobe lights and the thick fog. I couldn't even see where I was going! Plus Freakz was awesome.

I just want to give a shout-out to Lizard Boy (aka Trevler). I saw you man! I was the guy in the black and gray stripped jacket also wearing the HHN XX shirt randomly yelling "Zoolander! Zoolander!" My told my two buddies to shout that and suddenly, they gained up on us! Even the stilt walker which was pretty freaky! :lol:

I loved the fact that even in the "dead areas", there were a couple of roaming Chucky soldiers in front of the Animal Actors show and a hidden bushman by Shrek. That's something Orlando hasn't done!

I totally agree that it's cool how, because Hollywood is such a small park, there is very little space that's not used for HHN. Makes it feel like a more complete experience.