2010 Scare Zone Reviews (Hollywood)

DTH316

I havent heard anything on La Llorona. What going on there??

I'm not trying to crush anyones excitement for La llorona but please don't have your hopes up!PLEASE DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO HEAR NEGATIVE FEEDBACK. This SZ was the worst of the night for me. It just NEVER scared me. Her make-up had a decent job but besides that she was either sitting down with her head down, turned around facing the opposite way of everyone or strolling around hardly talking. The TT did a better job with her than the SZ! Everyone will have their own opinions but thats mines.

Okay, so I just got back home from my day and Horror Night at Universal and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. So in no particular order...

Nightmarez

This really didn't appeal to me, Go-Go's don't appeal to me and the crowds gathering around the girls was a little annoying to have to go through. Statue Freddy was okay.

Klownz

I missed the opening scaremonies, but I did put aside a little time to watch what was going on around me and I thought the klownz themselves were good as far as chainsaws go. The ringmaster was constantly talking, the others wandering around with chainsaws and axes in hand... it was pulled off better than I was expecting. Loved the masks, I thought they were produced very well against their production art.

Lunaticz

Again, the masks here were well executed and from what I saw, the scares directed at other people seemed to work pretty well with what they were given, plus the massive amounts of fog always gathering in this section.

Freakz

I'm a little more partial to this scarezone, despite it being a repeat. It was a lot of fun to watch the Freakz going about back and forth, chasing people, sneaking up on people, etc. Given the time I had spent there, I enjoyed this one very much.

Pigz

I really don't care for this 'zone, the decrease in Pigs was fairly noticeable between this year and the previous one.. I guess its a good filler to pump you up for Saw but that's about it.

La Llorona

I liked this area, despite La Llorona herself not doing much of the scaring.. only the victims were put on that spot. Despite that being said, I liked it.. it was a nice little show kind of area with La Llorona pacing back and forth at the stairs of the "Candy" shop facade and the wagons, and every so often interacting with one of the victim characters. I like it for what it is.

So now in my personal order...

Freakz, La Llorona, Lunaticz, Klownz, Nightmarez, Pigz

Nightmarez was basically the SZ in 2008. Go-gos, freddy statue etc. Still was cool to set the theme.

Klownz although it was similar to WTH with fire, I can say this was my best SZ of the night. AMAZING scareactors with energy, new decorations and even though at times the music was kinda low, it fit the SZ. I enjoyed the fire being back.

LA llorona nothing scared me including the kids and herself.

Lunaticz had massive amounts of fog to the point you couldn't see what was in front of you. Thats mostly how i got scared by the scareactors.

Freakz was similar to last year with new actors.

Pigz had no decorations and fewer scareactors but amped you up for Saw.

Freakz was def SZ of the year for me. That was the only SZ that gave me scares, so much so that I wet myself with the bottle of water I was holding in my hand! LOL. I'm pretty sure I ran into Trev aka Lizard Boy, hes actually the one who scared me, along with this freak ass clown. That SZ was fogged to death! Def my favorite SZ, awesome costumes + amazing talent = SZ of the year!

Nightmarez = repeat.

Pigz = repeat. (Look @ the floor when walking through this SZ)

Klownz was great! The clowns looked amazing, and that stiltwalker was great. Didnt get any scares, but it was nice to look at.

Lunaticz was another maze that was fogged to death. But didnt get a single scare.

La Llorona - disappoints horribly. (I will give this another chance when I go back later in the event) Lack of scares, and lack of La Llorona for that matter. And I think water sfx would have been fitting but there were none.

Edited by electro_killer

NIGHTMAREZ

Unfortunately because of the way we entered the park, I totally bypassed this area and didn't think think to walk through until the end of the night when it was pretty much empty, so....I can't tell you much about this area.

LA LLORONA

This was probably the zone I was looking forward to seeing the most because of my history with the character and because of the prospect of bringing in material that had never been touched upon before. The mood and atmosphere were perfect. It became eerily quiet with a subtle music choice and a soundtrack of La Llorona crying for her children in Spanish. Unfortunately it was put in the smallest place so you got through it rather quickly and weren't really confronted with much. There were a few creepy kids running around and La Llorona herself worked on being creepy rather than being straight out scary which I think was effective for her character. In a lot of ways she reminded me of the Witch in Left 4 Dead. She wasn't an imposing character, but she left you feeling like you'd rather avoid her altogether.

LUNATICZ

This one was interesting, because we had just left the Eyegore Awards and walked directly out into this mess. I was still a little buzzed from the drink I had and to be confronted by a man with a scythe was no laughing matter. There were quite a few good scare-actors wandering this section and laughing maniacally. My favorite though were the guards running up to you and warning you not to go in.

FREAKZ

Probably one of the most creative zones featured in the park, featuring uniquely designed characters and a well decorated section, this one will really keep you on your toes, especially considering how shrouded in fog this section is. Things just seem to materialize out of the dense fog. I also almost got my head taken off by one of the Freakz carrying a mallet, it was awesome.

KLOWNZ

We probably walked through this section a dozen times (mostly cause my photographer is afraid of clowns and I kept making up excuses to go through). While I thought it was well down and loved seeing the stilt walking Harlequin, I felt this area was a bit more empty and not as packed with scare-actors as the other areas. This could be because it's a more open area though that's a lot more brightly lit.

PIGZ

Okay this was one that really didn't have much of an atmosphere to me, it always seems to get recycled to be the same kind of zone every year, but I still love it because they do a good job of populating it with Sliders and Chain Saw guys. Plus, this year they got me really good. One of the Pigz hid behind a trash can as I was leaving the restroom area and just screamed and shot his chainsaw out at me. Holy shit, I'm glad I had just left the restroom or else I would've pissed myself.

( Order from best to worst) (Nightmarez doesn't count as a Scare Zone, in my opinion... But just wanna say the go-go dancers are always a good part of HHN haha)

#1 - Klowns: This was definitely the best scare zone , not just from this year, but from all 4 years I have went. The actors were phenomenal, especially Burny the Clown and Harlequin Stilt Walker. There was also a massive Chainsaw clown that was at least 6'4 and 300 pounds that popped out of the metal crate and scared the shit out of me and the people I went with... The costumes looked great, and the fire returning was a good choice.

#2 - Lunaticz: The atmosphere, fog filled streets, and the actors were really good. I did not get any scares, but that doesn't happen often in Scare Zones to me anyways.I still like that they tried to scare me, unlike the scare actors in Freakz ( I'll go into detail in a bit)

#3 - Freakz: The costumed and props are good, but it still is a repeat zone... Every monster that walked by me completely ignored me, and did not even try to scare me. How lame is that?

#4 - La Llorona: Complete crap. Not scary, La Llorona just walked around not saying anything, little kids not scary, BORING!!!

#5- Pigz: Same shit, different year

#6- (not really a SZ but the area in front of T2 that had sliders) Sliders did a great job. Masks looked amazing for the sliders.. Except one guy that didn't wear a mask, which is dumb...

( Order from best to worst) (Nightmarez doesn't count as a Scare Zone, in my opinion... But just wanna say the go-go dancers are always a good part of HHN haha)

#1 - Klowns: This was definitely the best scare zone , not just from this year, but from all 4 years I have went. The actors were phenomenal, especially Burny the Clown and Harlequin Stilt Walker. There was also a massive Chainsaw clown that was at least 6'4 and 300 pounds that popped out of the metal crate and scared the shit out of me and the people I went with... The costumes looked great, and the fire returning was a good choice.

#2 - Lunaticz: The atmosphere, fog filled streets, and the actors were really good. I did not get any scares, but that doesn't happen often in Scare Zones to me anyways.I still like that they tried to scare me, unlike the scare actors in Freakz ( I'll go into detail in a bit)

#3 - Freakz: The costumed and props are good, but it still is a repeat zone... Every monster that walked by me completely ignored me, and did not even try to scare me. How lame is that?

#4 - La Llorona: Complete crap. Not scary, La Llorona just walked around not saying anything, little kids not scary, BORING!!!

#5- Pigz: Same shit, different year

#6- (not really a SZ but the area in front of T2 that had sliders) Sliders did a great job. Masks looked amazing for the sliders.. Except one guy that didn't wear a mask, which is dumb...

they didnt make enough masks for us so we will always have at least 2 ppl without them.....

The scarzones were great this year, except for... La Llorona. For it being on the promos, it wasnt anything special just half assed. Freakz was really good, also lunaticz. Klownz was ok, welcome to hell was alot better. Sliders also were on top of their game.

glad we were up to your standards.....

Time for the scarezones!

La Llorona

Pretty good sets, mediocre scareactors. Well, its a scarezone.

C+

Nightmarez

It was nice to see the Freddy statue back, but once again I find the freddy go go dancers confusing. On the one hand, with my horror idol worship I already kinda want to bang Freddy, so it makes sense. But on the other hand... it's freddy. Yeah im not sure what I'm talking about either. The go go's were worse than last year and worked better in the Welcome to Hell zone next to the fire.

C

Klownz

This has become the scarezone to beat with a great talking character, an impressive stilt walker and fire. Not much to complain about this year. Last year worked better with more appropriate music and the go gos, but this was still a great way to enter the park. The opening scareamonies were decent.

A-

Lunaticz

The costumes were cool, but from what I saw somewhat similar. Still, liked the theming and the scareactors seemed to have enthusiasm.

B

Freakz

My favorite scarezone of last year besides welcome to hell, I didn't feel this year lived up. Not sure why. I did walk through this once with not so much as a scareactor approaching me, but they were all busy with others. My 2nd time someone did get me by growling in my ear. Don't remember seeing Trevler here, and I think I preferred the old costumes over the new ones. Still a good zone.

B

Pigz

There were a few Saw pigs with chainsaws. It sucked.

F

Edited by 00nightcrawler