Flying in from San Diego;Need help

So I will have an opportunity to go to Orlando for Halloween Horror Nights on either the weekend of October 23rd or 30th. I would be arriving Friday morning and staying through Sunday evening. So I thought I would ask you guys what the best weekend to go is, and further if it would be better to go on a Friday or Saturday, or if it wouldn't matter. I am planning on getting an express pass so I can do everything and then go through the best stuff again. I should have a friend with me so a meet up shouldn't be necessary, but any tips you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks.

See, I've always found it the other way around - I think the 23rd is classed as a 'hell week' where a bunch of schools are out, and Halloween weekend people usually make other plans... like they'll go to the event earlier in the month, and go to a friend's party on Halloween weekend.

Either way, Fri and Sat will be very heavy days.

In the parks before HHN I've never noticed huge lines, however this year there's the "Potter Factor" so I don't know what to expect :mellow:

See, I've always found it the other way around - I think the 23rd is classed as a 'hell week' where a bunch of schools are out, and Halloween weekend people usually make other plans... like they'll go to the event earlier in the month, and go to a friend's party on Halloween weekend.

Either way, Fri and Sat will be very heavy days.

In the parks before HHN I've never noticed huge lines, however this year there's the "Potter Factor" so I don't know what to expect :mellow:

I'm leaning towards Halloween weekend. I'm getting an express pass, but flying all the way out there I want the chance to do some of my favorite mazes twice. And I hope Potter isn't too crowded. Haven't seen it yet.

Halloween Weekend is not a really busy one at all. I went on nov. 1st back in 2008 and all of the waits were either nonexistant or at most like 5 mins or so. Then last year I went on October 30th and it was slightly worse than november 1st but not by much, worst wait all night was probably 30 mins and that was only one of them I think.

Is it possible to go through a house at the beginning of the night, not have your pass scanned and go back when the line is longer to use it?

If you take advantage of Stay & Scream (i.e. enter the studios with your regular park admission before it closes to guests to prepare for the night), you'll be able to hit a majority (if not all if you walk fast) of the houses with no or very little wait. Most definitely do not use your express early on or if you are only looking at a minimal wait. I see people use their express passes every year when there is no wait and it makes no sense.

Once the lines start getting long, use your express pass.

Edited by JPH

If you take advantage of Stay & Scream (i.e. enter the studios with your regular park admission before it closes to guests to prepare for the night), you'll be able to hit a majority (if not all if you walk fast) of the houses with no or very little wait. Most definitely do not use your express early on or if you are only looking at a minimal wait. I see people use their express passes every year when there is no wait and it makes no sense.

Once the lines start getting long, use your express pass.

How would I get both Stay and Scream and express pass? Isn't it one or the other?

How would I get both Stay and Scream and express pass? Isn't it one or the other?

No - as long as you have regular day time park admission and any form of HHN admission (obviously get the stay and scream ticket if you have regular park admission since it's cheaper), you can wait in a special holding area (usually in NY/Finnegans area and Kidzone) and get a head start on the houses. Stay and Scream is just a discounted ticket for those who have daytime park admission.

Express is extra and like I said, you wouldn't use it until the lines get longer.

No - as long as you have regular day time park admission and any form of HHN admission (obviously get the stay and scream ticket if you have regular park admission since it's cheaper), you can wait in a special holding area (usually in NY/Finnegans area and Kidzone) and get a head start on the houses. Stay and Scream is just a discounted ticket for those who have daytime park admission.

Express is extra and like I said, you wouldn't use it until the lines get longer.

Thanks for the help. I may still get an express to ensure I get the most out of my trip, but I will be sure to stay in the holding area. And lastly, what weekend/day do you think would be the best to go, JPH?

Edited by 00nightcrawler

Thanks for the help. I may still get an express to ensure I get the most out of my trip, but I will be sure to stay in the holding area. And lastly, what weekend/day do you think would be the best to go, JPH?

Yes, definitely go for Express if you want to make sure you get to see houses twice if you want. Just make sure you are in the park in plenty of time before they close the gates around 5 or you'll have to wait to get in with everyone else.

It's usually slower the week of Halloween as others have said, so I'd go at that time. As far as what actual day, it's hard to say. I was there the entire last week last year and didn't really notice any difference.

Adding in my two cents to agree with Halloween weekend being fairly dead (pun intended) -- it's been that way for years, Halloween is infamous for being a slow day. : ))

I would have to agree with that statement. I was surprised, however, last year that Halloween was as busy as it was. I am not saying it was as busy as it gets during the middle of the run, just that it was busier than I expected for a Halloween night.

I would have to agree with that statement. I was surprised, however, last year that Halloween was as busy as it was. I am not saying it was as busy as it gets during the middle of the run, just that it was busier than I expected for a Halloween night.

Halloween being on a Saturday last year may have had something to do with the crowd.

One more thing, I am going to be arriving around 4am Friday morning. Since I'm have an express pass, will do stay and scream and the parks attendance isn't that much different, would it be better to go on the Saturday so I won't wipe myself out? And if I extend my trip a day would going Sunday be best? It closes at midnight on sunday, but would I really miss those 2 extra hours? Thanks for all the help.

Edited by 00nightcrawler

So I will have an opportunity to go to Orlando for Halloween Horror Nights on either the weekend of October 23rd or 30th. I would be arriving Friday morning and staying through Sunday evening. So I thought I would ask you guys what the best weekend to go is, and further if it would be better to go on a Friday or Saturday, or if it wouldn't matter. I am planning on getting an express pass so I can do everything and then go through the best stuff again. I should have a friend with me so a meet up shouldn't be necessary, but any tips you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you have a friend in Florida that is an Annual Passholder you'll save on the price for either day and on the express pass.

A lot of good information posted already.

I fly in from So Cal every year, but have learned to go no later than the 2nd weekend. By the 3rd weekend, kids are out of school and the park is slammed.

As mentioned, your best bet is to either do the Stay and Scream, or get to the park entrance NO LATER THAN 6:00. Get through security and wai in the holding area right before the gates. Once you get in, head straight ahead to go to the SoundStage houses. Do NOT stop to even look at a scarezone. Do NOT stop and get a locker.

Go to each of the SS houses - the queues are horrifically long (plan 5 minutes minimum walking from exit of one to entrance of the next).

NOTE: EVERYONE goes to the SS houses first, so if the park promises to be especially full, you might want to bypass the SS houses and rush to the back of the park (Disaster/Amity) and do those first.

For the first approx 20 minutes of opening the gates, you will have free-reign, but after 30 minutes, the wait times will hit 15 minutes. After a hour, forget about it. They will stay that was all night - but will back off between 1AM and 2AM.

Another word of advice - always be aware of when B&T show lets out, and AVOID houses in that area for at least 45 minutes after the show.