Will HRRR be availible during HHN XX?

last year they didn't open HRRR during HHN even though it was on our AP holder flier we received in the mail about HHN 19.

I was reading the express pass information for during the day and they are still not allowing express passes on HRRR.

that being said, I wonder if they will have the ride open during HHN XX.

what you guys think?

Rumor seems to suggest they will have it open...and not just because the nets they put up, someone (supposedly in the know) said they were bending over backwards to open it for HHN. Not sure if it was here or another site, but I saw that looking for HHN rumors a while ago.

Last year, they were still testing it every night with the water dummies. Someone at the park said something about with the number of cars running at once they need all break areas which really break up the ride, and they were testing to see what they could change to make it a smoother ride. It was just a regular employee that we asked and told us that, so take it with a grain of salt.

I really hope that was true...because every time you get going on the ride, you hit the break area and slow way down. I was personally really disappointed with the ride. We had the 5-day pass for the parks and did it twice the one AM with no line and didn't do it again for the rest of our stay.

This is all speculation on my part...other than the fact that I didn't care much for the ride :P

I was thinking about his a lot, but I never said anything because I thought it was already discussed, I really wonder, it would be a great thing for HHN, not only lines wise but for entertainment, I haven't gone in it, If they open it for HHN then I could write it.

Just got a text from a team member that I worked with who has been there for a few years (who is also in a position to know gritty details about the attractions come HHN), that there's a rumor going around that no attractions will be open. I seriously doubt it, but I'm just posting it here to say "told you so" if it does happen :P

I'll update as I hear more.

Considering the official HHN site specifically lists in the FAQ section:

3.Will the rides and attractions be open?

Select rides and attractions will be open during the event.

I wouldn't count on all the rides being closed. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nope, it won't be.

ORLANDO, Fla.

The Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit roller coaster at Universal Studios Florida will remain closed indefinitely, theme park officials said on Monday.

Officials insist the maintenance is not related to a Sept. 2 safety warning from Maurer Sohne, the German steel company that makes the ride’s vehicles. The company warned that the coupling that holds the two cars together may not be “fatigue endurable.”

Universal Orlando said the safety concerns from Maurer Sohne would have been addressed soon after the memo’s release and the ride’s closure was not related to the safety bulletin. However, Maurer Sohne said the repair solution or new design would not be available for two to three months.

Universal closed the attraction last Wednesday and said it was undergoing unrelated maintenance. It said the closure was temporary.

Universal Orlando spokesman Tom Schroder said on Monday that the ride’s extended closure was due to the park’s decision to do annual maintenance on the attraction.

“The Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit was operating safely when we closed it for maintenance and it will be operating safely when we reopen it,” said Schroder.

No timeline was given for when the ride might reopen.

"We don't forecast when an attraction will reopen from annual maintenance due to the fluid nature of the maintenance work,” Schroder said.

Rip Ride Rockit opened in August 2009.

I had posted this in the XX Discussion thread first before finding this topic on the second page...had updated that entry with the links below. Sounds like it might not be closed 2-3 months, they might just do some routine maintenance and then shut it down for an extended period of time later to do the "big fix". Not sure really, but I live in NY and leave for HHN a week from today so I'm 99.9% sure it's going to be closed the whole time I'm there :(

Couple stories...maybe it's not 2-3 months right now...that might just be when they implement the big fix with the car links. Not sure.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/state/universals-rip-ride-rockit-roller-coaster-to-remain-928579.html

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-09-20/business/os-universal-rip-ride-rockit-shutdown20100917_1_roller-coaster-coaster-trains-universal-orlando

http://www.examiner.com/insider-travel-in-orlando/florida-s-newest-roller-coaster-rip-ride-rockit-shut-down

I'm in the same boat you are. Every time I try to ride this damn coaster it's no dice for whatever reason. I've lost all interest in this ride.

If it makes you feel any better, it's pretty lame. The customizable music aspect is pretty cool, and the initial vertical climb is really unique...but the rest of it is just blah. Every time you get going, you hit the break area and it slows you down...really breaks up the ride. We were told the break areas were needed because of the number of cars that can be travelling at any one time and they need to be sure they can stop them if one breaks down. At the very end, there's a cool little section before it flies out of the park, but that's about it.

Last year we had a 5-day pass doing the parks before HHN and we ran in the first day and rode it....and were COMPLETELY underwhelmed. Ran it again to try a different song and that was it. We didn't ride it for the next 4 days

Some may love it, but as old as Hulk is (and as annoying as the back part that just keeps on going and pretty slow) my whole group found it MUCH more enjoyable to start the mornings out by jumping no Hulk when there was zero wait time and ridding it 3 or 4 times in a row .

I just got my HHN tickets by fed-ex yesterday and I noticed on the back in the express pass information it says "Express not valid at Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket"

Why would they put that on the tickets unless the ride would be open during the event.

TicPicCrop.jpg

Simple. The ticket was printed before they updated the express pass texts. As of today nothing running on the HRRR.

The post you quoted was from August 7th and HRRR was open then..

The post by whom? The news article I have and posted on another board is from the local news stations from last week with information provided by Universal media relation.

Universal Studios 'Rip Ride Rockit' Coaster Shut Down - News Story - WFTV Orlando

Edited by DesertBear

The post about the ticket with the express pass access, that's from August 7th before HRRR was closed. You pointing out that the ticket was before they updated the texts doesn't matter since when it was posted the ride was still up and running.

Universal made a statement about 2 hours ago concerning HRRR on their FB page. Here is what they said:

"Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit is temporarily closed because we’re doing maintenance work that includes its annual maintenance. Due to the nature of work, we find it’s best not to announce a re-opening date until we're absolutely ready. We’ll be sure you're among the first to know. Meanwhile, please continue to enjoy the many other exciting attractions & experiences you can only find at Universal Orlando Resort."

That's basically a Bowdlerized way of saying that it's indefinitely closed. The ride has enough problems from bad manufacturing, but Universal rushing the opening kept them from fixing even some of them. Hence the constant problems last year that resulted in severe testing during HHN and now the coupling bar issue.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ride goes the way of Jaws and gets a major revamp.