Save the HHN Wikipedia Page

Just went to look at the HHN Orlando page on Wikipedia to check something, and it turns out that the page is a candidate for deletion. According to the discussion, someone tried to vandalize the Hollywood event page. When a moderator was called in to fix the damage, he decided that both HHN articles should be deleted.

The moderator in question, PhantomSteve, stated that he could not find any reliable, independent sources that proved that Halloween Horror Nights was a major Halloween event. In all honesty, it's difficult to NOT find reliable, independent sources with a simple Google search.

So, seeing as how the mod can't even be arsed to check for sources, I think it's our responsibility to ensure that these pages don't get deleted!

I'd like everyone to try and find as many sources as they can and place them on the Wiki pages for both events (both are in equal danger of deletion). Eventually, the deletion order will be forced to be canceled.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just went to look at the HHN Orlando page on Wikipedia to check something, and it turns out that the page is a candidate for deletion. According to the discussion, someone tried to vandalize the Hollywood event page. When a moderator was called in to fix the damage, he decided that both HHN articles should be deleted.

The moderator in question, PhantomSteve, stated that he could not find any reliable, independent sources that proved that Halloween Horror Nights was a major Halloween event. In all honesty, it's difficult to NOT find reliable, independent sources with a simple Google search.

Must be a Knott's fan. Or a moron. Possibly both?

That's so bogus. So exactly what do you need? Reviews of HHN, or just articles about HHN? I'm not really into the whole wikipedia editing thing (wouldn't know where to start) but I can post stuff here if I find it. I actually like the fact that the HHN wiki page is so detailed - my memory is horrible so it's a big help! lol

This is the Biggest Bull... Ever!!!

I liked going to wikipedia, i never cared that everyone around me said it was not accurate, or that the information was false, never cared about that, But This! i can't believe they would say this, besides i have seen the Stupidest and dumbest things in wikpedia, like internet celebirty bios and stuff like that.

If they take out HHN, i will just stop going, this looks totally biased,

and you are right MahB, the page has the whole history of HHN, what type of sources do they need, i call boycott.

Edited by black7mask

Yeah Kris, sounds good, hopefully it would work, But it seems they have their minds made up, whatever, im really not going back if they do,

ok this is what HHN orlando says:

(This article is being considered for deletion in accordance with Wikipedia's deletion policy.

This article needs reorganization to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. There is good information here, but it is poorly organized; editors are encouraged to be bold and make changes to the overall structure to improve this article.)

and now this is what Howl-O-Scream says:

(This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. Please improve this article if you can.

This article does not cite any references or sources. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed)

so they are giving HOS a change to fix up the page but just deleting HHN?i guess HOS has better sources? i would think they are equally important

I just realized, First the Vault dies off, now Wikipedia is going to delete the info, What's going on this year? :blink:

i dont like this one bit

Edited by black7mask

I made an account on wikipedia and I want to add to the discussion but I'm not sure how, it doesn't seem as simple as pressing "comment" to add your thoughts. I have to wonder if the rock this guy is living under has a TV, for if he did, he'd see the COMMERCIALS for the event that air constantly. I'd link to as many of those as we can find, as well as the official Universal Orlando website. Assuming he's heard of such a place. If all this comes down to is that he's looking for a "reliable source" to confirm or deny that BeetleJuice is NOT the presenter for Hollywood this year, tell him he'll get his source in a few weeks when the official website run by the Universal Orlando Resort Updates.

I made an account on wikipedia and I want to add to the discussion but I'm not sure how, it doesn't seem as simple as pressing "comment" to add your thoughts. I have to wonder if the rock this guy is living under has a TV, for if he did, he'd see the COMMERCIALS for the event that air constantly. I'd link to as many of those as we can find, as well as the official Universal Orlando website. Assuming he's heard of such a place. If all this comes down to is that he's looking for a "reliable source" to confirm or deny that BeetleJuice is NOT the presenter for Hollywood this year, tell him he'll get his source in a few weeks when the official website run by the Universal Orlando Resort Updates.

You just go onto the discussion and edit the page to include your input, then put ~~~~ at the end as a kind of signature.

Earlier in the week on the HHN Hollywood side, some jokester said that Beetlejuice was going to be the main icon for this year's event; obviously that proven a hoax. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?

According to the person who's having the fight with the moderator, he contacted the mod after seeing that vandalization and asked him to fix it. The mod, after fixing it, looked at the pages and decided to make them candidates for deletion. He claimed that he couldn't find "independent, reliable sources" and wants the person who contacted him to look for them. Totally bogus answer, since one page of Google has at least three sources.

You just go onto the discussion and edit the page to include your input, then put ~~~~ at the end as a kind of signature.

According to the person who's having the fight with the moderator, he contacted the mod after seeing that vandalization and asked him to fix it. The mod, after fixing it, looked at the pages and decided to make them candidates for deletion. He claimed that he couldn't find "independent, reliable sources" and wants the person who contacted him to look for them. Totally bogus answer, since one page of Google has at least three sources.

I added a reply and pointed this rube to the official HHN Website, a commercial from last year, and an interview with Roddy. What other proof does this nozzle need?

I added a reply and pointed this rube to the official HHN Website, a commercial from last year, and an interview with Roddy. What other proof does this nozzle need?

Unfortunately the Wikipedia gnomes disregard primary sources. Thus any information about HHN that actually comes from Universal or anybody involved with HHN is disregarded.

This is allegedly to prevent people and companies from using Wikipedia for self-promotion.

In order to show them that HHN is "notable" we must provide secondary sources, especially mainstream media articles and stories about HHN.

Unfortunately the Wikipedia gnomes disregard primary sources. Thus any information about HHN that actually comes from Universal or anybody involved with HHN is disregarded.

This is allegedly to prevent people and companies from using Wikipedia for self-promotion.

In order to show them that HHN is "notable" we must provide secondary sources, especially mainstream media articles and stories about HHN.

We've already got a number of independent sources. We've got Amusement Today, Fox Central Oregon, The Art of The Scare, Screamscape, and the Orlando Sentinel in the references section.

P.S. I'd like for anyone who's found sources to look up the proper method of referencing and post them in the references section of the article. I have a feeling that if this idiot is too lazy to do any searching for himself, he'll be too lazy to put in any sources when they're handed to him.

Unfortunately, even if you can convince him that HHN is "notable", he'll still want (secondary) sources for basically every nugget of information on the page. That's how Wiki works. With the Vault gone, there's no place to find all that info. Practically everything in that article was originally sourced from the Vault. It was being used like a crutch. The article will probably have to be rewritten with a lot less information.

Well this grinds my gears we have so much publicity all around southeastern part of the U.S.A and we won so many awards and praises... I don't know the whole editing this on wikipedia all i do is get the useful information... but has he ever just googled Halloween Horror Nights and saw the sites dedicated to just one event?

Yeah Kris, sounds good, hopefully it would work, But it seems they have their minds made up, whatever, im really not going back if they do,

ok this is what HHN orlando says:

(This article is being considered for deletion in accordance with Wikipedia's deletion policy.

This article needs reorganization to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. There is good information here, but it is poorly organized; editors are encouraged to be bold and make changes to the overall structure to improve this article.)

and now this is what Howl-O-Scream says:

(This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. Please improve this article if you can.

This article does not cite any references or sources. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed)

so they are giving HOS a change to fix up the page but just deleting HHN?i guess HOS has better sources? i would think they are equally important

I just realized, First the Vault dies off, now Wikipedia is going to delete the info, What's going on this year? :blink:

i dont like this one bit

Watch. In the future HHN will NO LONGER EXIST. I can feel it in my gut, but mostly it's what my mental illness tells me...

Watch. In the future HHN will NO LONGER EXIST. I can feel it in my gut, but mostly it's what my mental illness tells me...

I KNOW, I feel it in my heart too! :lol:

I don't think it could happen, Well, it could but i hope and pray to the dark gods that it never does, I would have nothing to look forward in October, Oh my dark lord, that would be horrible, no HHN!.

i guess Howl-O-Scream is there, but is so far away.

About the Wikipedia page, I just Saved the Whole page in pictures, it took a while but i have all the info, if they wanna delete it, Fine! i already saved all the stuff from there, Ha-Ha :angry:

Also, the only reason i Go to the Studios is HHN, but the park itself, if there was no HHN i would have no reason at all to go, unless they make a new ride. I would go to Islands probably, but not to the other

Edited by black7mask

Unfortunately, even if you can convince him that HHN is "notable", he'll still want (secondary) sources for basically every nugget of information on the page. That's how Wiki works. With the Vault gone, there's no place to find all that info. Practically everything in that article was originally sourced from the Vault. It was being used like a crutch. The article will probably have to be rewritten with a lot less information.

Even if it's ineffective, I think shotgunning him with sources would at least be a good way to annoy him.

Agreed, when I stumbled upon the notice of deletion a week or so ago, I got sooooo pissed. This guy is obviously hating on the event. He must be receiving money from Disney. :P Also, I saved the whole page to a word document, just in case HNN decides to have a HHN archive page... (consider this a suggestion. xD)

Edited by ohaaron

About the Wikipedia page, I just Saved the Whole page in pictures, it took a while but i have all the info, if they wanna delete it, Fine! i already saved all the stuff from there, Ha-Ha :angry:

Yay! Good idea. :)

BTW, I found the following links that may help if anyone wants to post them as arguments to keep the article (I tried to see if I could do it on there, but I refuse to make an acct. for yet ANOTHER thing online I barely use, and it was confusing to me to edit... and I'm tired. LOL)

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-blog/index.php/universal-studios-ho-7109/

http://www.canmag.com/nw/14919-universal-halloween-horror-nights

http://popwatch.ew.com/2009/09/02/universal-studios-halloween-horror-nights-saw/

http://www.horror.com/php/article-2137-1.html

http://trifter.com/usa-canada/florida/halloween-horror-nights-19-ripped-from-the-silver-screen-low-ticket-price-secrets/