Blumhouse maze

41 minutes ago, JZOMBIE said:

Thoughts/ideas/theories about the Blumhouse maze for 2017

Since purge is already overused, the only choices I think they have are Insidious since the new one is supposed to be coming this year? or The Conjuring is finally coming to HHN because so far that's the only one they haven't done from Blumhouse, there will probably be more but who knows when they will do them. Conjuring stands out and could be what Insidious was in 2013 and 2015, it would be a big house, obviously over here in Orlando, it would probably be where Texas Chainsaw Massacre was, with the facade being the house from the first Conjuring film 

The only problem is that we (Cali) are getting a Blumhouse maze, an insidious maze, and a conjuring maze. (This is from what I know. Correct me if I'm wrong). The only real options will prob be Get Out, Sinister, and maybe the purge

22 hours ago, HorrorUnearthed said:

Since purge is already overused, the only choices I think they have are Insidious since the new one is supposed to be coming this year? or The Conjuring is finally coming to HHN because so far that's the only one they haven't done from Blumhouse, there will probably be more but who knows when they will do them. Conjuring stands out and could be what Insidious was in 2013 and 2015, it would be a big house, obviously over here in Orlando, it would probably be where Texas Chainsaw Massacre was, with the facade being the house from the first Conjuring film 

What scenes from the Purge (If they do it) do you think they should do?

13 hours ago, JZOMBIE said:

The only problem is that we (Cali) are getting a Blumhouse maze, an insidious maze, and a conjuring maze. (This is from what I know. Correct me if I'm wrong). The only real options will prob be Get Out, Sinister, and maybe the purge

Well I mean as much as I love Get Out, I don't think it would be a maze, Sinister would work and hell tbh, you guys have only had scarezones for Purge but never really a haunted house, we had a haunted house for Purge out here at last minute because we originally were supposed to be have Scream but that's a long story but anyways, if you guys get a Purge maze, I say Purge wouldn't be overused but actually being put to good use because you guys could get a recreation of the first Purge film with little parts of Anarchy and Election Year in some way :) 

2 hours ago, JZOMBIE said:

What scenes from the Purge (If they do it) do you think they should do?

I honestly I could see them recreating scenes from the film The Purgers breaking into the Sandin's home and being attacked from either side by the Happy face purgers and maybe leading into somewhere that makes you feel like you are outside and coming face to face the Purgers somewhere raising hell and coming for you, same goes for Election Year, seeing the George Washington and Abe Lincoln Purgers trying to get you as well. Its really hard to pick out certain scenes because on film may look good but in person Murdy really knows how to paint a picture a way that it could be trippy or something that is very good and imaginative, I do love your Halloween II house last year and the fact that he used the pumpkin as symbol for Michael and the whole scene with the glow in the dark pumpkins jumping at you was really badass :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HorrorUnearthed said:

Well I mean as much as I love Get Out, I don't think it would be a maze, Sinister would work and hell tbh, you guys have only had scarezones for Purge but never really a haunted house, we had a haunted house for Purge out here at last minute because we originally were supposed to be have Scream but that's a long story but anyways, if you guys get a Purge maze, I say Purge wouldn't be overused but actually being put to good use because you guys could get a recreation of the first Purge film with little parts of Anarchy and Election Year in some way :) 

I honestly I could see them recreating scenes from the film The Purgers breaking into the Sandin's home and being attacked from either side by the Happy face purgers and maybe leading into somewhere that makes you feel like you are outside and coming face to face the Purgers somewhere raising hell and coming for you, same goes for Election Year, seeing the George Washington and Abe Lincoln Purgers trying to get you as well. Its really hard to pick out certain scenes because on film may look good but in person Murdy really knows how to paint a picture a way that it could be trippy or something that is very good and imaginative, I do love your Halloween II house last year and the fact that he used the pumpkin as symbol for Michael and the whole scene with the glow in the dark pumpkins jumping at you was really badass :) 

Yeah, that Skull scene was awesome

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JZOMBIE said:

Yeah, that Skull scene was awesome

Yeah seeing stuff like that, Murdy could really play with the ips abit, and does a really good job, sometimes I wish for some of that over here and we do for certain houses, obviously not always the classics you know, but for example Exorcist last year, was badass, they had a scene of what it looks like in Regan's head or the hell that she is trapped in and you see Pazuzu itself in all of its glory before exiting out with one more scare by Regan, it was perfect. :) 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, HorrorUnearthed said:

Yeah seeing stuff like that, Murdy could really play with the ips abit, and does a really good job, sometimes I wish for some of that over here and we do for certain houses, obviously not always the classics you know, but for example Exorcist last year, was badass, they had a scene of what it looks like in Regan's head or the hell that she is trapped in and you see Pazuzu itself in all of its glory before exiting out with one more scare by Regan, it was perfect. :) 

I really enjoy when they get a little artistic in the storytelling. It's a little abstract but I really enjoy it. The staircase facade-thingy in the Orlando Exorcist maze was amazing and really creative. I hope they do this kinda thing with more of the mazes, including the Blumhouse of Horrors

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JZOMBIE said:

I really enjoy when they get a little artistic in the storytelling. It's a little abstract but I really enjoy it. The staircase facade-thingy in the Orlando Exorcist maze was amazing and really creative. I hope they do this kinda thing with more of the mazes, including the Blumhouse of Horrors

Yeah same, both coasts did a phenomenal job with it, you guys had a fantastic Krampus house as well, ours was good but not so much as what I think we expected but it was still good through out and well we've gotten a lot of House of Horrors back in the day and you had guys once had the House of Horrors attraction which sucks that its gone, it was a really cool attraction had and would have been a good home to place Blumhouse characters in any way. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Even if it might be a little difficult to conceptualize, "Get Out" was such a huge critical and box office hit, to not use as part of the Blumhouse compilation house would be an INCREDIBLY foolish move. My guess? They'll use Get Out, The Conjuring, Split (another success at the box office this year, I'd be really surprised if they didn't utilize it) and The Purge (since they've already used this property before, it would be pretty easy to slide in.)  We've already seen Insidious so that's another easy one to already use existing props in but I'm thinking that might be getting a standalone house in order to tie and promote the upcoming sequel. I wouldn't be surprised if they used Paranormal Activity either. Personally, the one I'd like to see the most would be "Sinister."  Aside from "Get Out" I think it's the best and most pleasant surprise I've seen from Blumhouse. "The Belko Experiment" also came out from Blumhouse this year but it didn't really do so hot so I'd be a little bit surprised if that one made it in but who knows. Bottom line though: if they don't utilize "Get Out" that would be *the* very definition of a "missed opportunity."

2 hours ago, mwilder said:

Even if it might be a little difficult to conceptualize, "Get Out" was such a huge critical and box office hit, to not use as part of the Blumhouse compilation house would be an INCREDIBLY foolish move. My guess? They'll use Get Out, The Conjuring, Split (another success at the box office this year, I'd be really surprised if they didn't utilize it) and The Purge (since they've already used this property before, it would be pretty easy to slide in.)  We've already seen Insidious so that's another easy one to already use existing props in but I'm thinking that might be getting a standalone house in order to tie and promote the upcoming sequel. I wouldn't be surprised if they used Paranormal Activity either. Personally, the one I'd like to see the most would be "Sinister."  Aside from "Get Out" I think it's the best and most pleasant surprise I've seen from Blumhouse. "The Belko Experiment" also came out from Blumhouse this year but it didn't really do so hot so I'd be a little bit surprised if that one made it in but who knows. Bottom line though: if they don't utilize "Get Out" that would be *the* very definition of a "missed opportunity."

Conjuring isn't blumhouse. Also until recently it was rumored to come as a separate house but now rumor has it that it's been scrapped from the lineup 

I just don't see Get Out being a successful part of a maze. It's just a bunch of old white people running around. I'm shaking in my boots. Split, I'm not so sure about either. They going to just have scrawny bald dude in different outfits delivering boo scares? Even his 24th identity isn't that scary at all. The Purge has been overdone for the past 3 years and I think Murdy knows that, so I doubt they would put that into it. They just had an Insidious maze in 2015 that was a mashup of all 3 movies, and the 4th installment isn't set to release until January 2018, so I highly doubt that will make an appearance this year, but probably next year. Sinister is a good choice, The Town that Dreaded Sundown could be decent and I, personally, would love to see an Oculus room.

My mistake on The Conjuring not being a part of Blumhouse. Not sure why I thought it was for a moment. 

Personally, I wasn't a fan of "Split" but I can still see why the HHN team would want to find some way to tie it in...not saying I want that to happen...but just saying that I can see them wanting to capitalize on a recent, popular film. Same reason why I see them including  "Get Out" although I *would* be excited for that. I know everybody is saying that they don't think it would work but I have faith that they're creative enough to find ways to make it work even if we can't imagine how. We've gotta remember they do this for a living and have made seemingly impossible houses work really well in the past. It just doesn't make sense why they wouldn't want to  capitalize on the most popular horror film of the year...

Personally, I hope they don't include "The Purge" because I find those movies to be incredibly stupid/not scary but they're super popular somehow lol so I wouldn't be surprised if we saw it milked for another go round. I  guess time will tell...

Edited by mwilder

Yeah, they were both very popular and successful movies, but it just does not make sense conceptually to put them in a maze. Again, what characters would they use to scare us? The HHN team is amazing and they done incredible things, but not once have they done an IP that is anything like Get Out or Split where there are no solid, terrifying villains. There's nothing there for them to work with

I don't really think you're giving either film enough credit. Just because "Get Out" and "Split" didn't have "traditionally" terrifying villains doesn't mean they weren't scary...plenty of people found them to be frightening hence why they were such successes.

I think there are plenty of other factors that go into creating successful houses than simply having "traditionally" terrifying villains, for example, I think atmosphere can go a long, long way and both films were successful in establishing unsettling, creepy atmospheres. In the past, we've had a few really solid houses that relied more on creepy atmosphere than "traditionally terrifying" villains.  

In any case, I totally agree that a standalone "Get Out" or standalone "Split" house would be super difficult if not nearly impossible but one of the great benefits of being in a mashup house means they would really only have to figure out how to make them work in a single scene. I think the concept of "The Sunken Place" in "Get Out" could have  some potential...I'm not going to deny that it would be challenging...but I wouldn't write it off the table just yet. 

Edited by mwilder

In no way have I said or am I saying the films weren't scary! I thought they were amazing and absolutely terrifying, some of the best horror movies that have been released in the past decade! However, I just don't think they would make good parts of a mash-up maze. Sure, of course it could still happen (I don't know, I'm not Murdy!). I still stand by my statement that I don't think they would bring anything to the table, so to speak, as components to a Blumhouse mash-up. I just don't see it working out well. But this is just my opinion!

• Like 1

Apparently Orlando's version will use Insidious, Sinister, and Get Out. While our version will use Purge, Insidious, Sinister, and Get Out. Insidious will no longer be a Full Maze and will be apart of the Mashup due to chapter 4's release date moving from October to January.

• Like 1

On 6/3/2017 at 6:47 PM, HHNManics said:

Apparently Orlando's version will use Insidious, Sinister, and Get Out. While our version will use Purge, Insidious, Sinister, and Get Out. Insidious will no longer be a Full Maze and will be apart of the Mashup due to chapter 4's release date moving from October to January.

Hope this is true!!

• 2 weeks later...

Surprised no one has brought up Happy Death Day yet as part of the Blumhouse mashup... it's getting released in October and I'm sure they'd love to promote it with HHN if possible: