How would you feel if Jack comes back for 26?

Lets say marketing and A&D decided to bring back the iconic Jack the Clown for 2016, would you be for it or against it?

I would be against it, I think we should see icons and houses we have never seen before.. then again we could go back to having no icons for a while (Just like 22 - 24)

I say, put away Jack for awhile and bring him back for the 50th anniversary. Introduce some new icons & let the other icons have some time in the spot light. What I would like to see in 27-29 is the use of the icons that "never made it" like Eddie (giving him the justice he was suppose to have in 2001), Cindy & Crowe. For 26, I would like to see the Usher as the icon.

Edited by hhnfan95
  • Like 1

I think we'll see him in some manner, but not necessarily as the main icon. I like the idea of doing underutilized/forgotten icons for 26-29 (Usher, Eddie, Chance, Crowe), then make HHN30 a huge year for the return of the Terra Queen (I want more than anything for them to bring back Terra Cruentus for 2020, since the story is that they come around every 15 years). I think having him make a cameo somewhere would be the best bet.

That's what I would love to see, but if they just make him the icon again, I wouldn't be that annoyed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'd like to see a new icon this year since the last one we had was Lady Luck and that was 4 years ago. On the other hand I'd like to see the other icons come back and each get a bit of a makeover/update like Jack got last year.

I would really like to see the Usher come back to be the icon. I wasn't around during his year and only got to see him through youtube and then last year's mini-kill stage. Besides Jack, he seems to be the most popular of the main Icons. 

Of course, to me, what makes Jack work was his stage shows. Having a 15-20 minute show featuring the Icon for the year really cements them as being the Icon. To me, having them just stand around a SZ or having multiple scareactors playing them in a house is not enough. I feel like the Usher could easily have a really good show. Give him a minion or two, theme the stage to a theater and have 4-5 people "break in", get caught and killed off one by one by the Usher. Similar in style to Jack's first show but just a new theme/setting. 

I feel like Jack needs to be put away for a few years. However, I would really love for Chance to be given the chance (no pun intended) to be the Icon this year as well. Could easily create a great story for why she is the Icon. However, they must get the same actress they had last year. She was incredible!  

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed  Jacks show , but I think Chance may have been a bit more popular with the show than they anticipated.

I could see Jack coming back for 26, but also with Chance being a bit more sinster as in wanting to be the star of the bizzarre

show. Kinda like a love/hate(kill) relationship. FWIW I felt when Jack said he had been gone far to long fromm HHN that implied

he's not done just yet.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, traveller said:

I enjoyed  Jacks show , but I think Chance may have been a bit more popular with the show than they anticipated.

I could see Jack coming back for 26, but also with Chance being a bit more sinster as in wanting to be the star of the bizzarre

show. Kinda like a love/hate(kill) relationship. FWIW I felt when Jack said he had been gone far to long fromm HHN that implied

he's not done just yet.

I agree with you. Personally I would love it if Chance could be the Icon for this year. The actress that played her was outstanding and she is the strongest female character they have created that I feel could lead the event as an Icon imo. Heck, I hope we just get an Icon! I don't want them to revert back to the non-icon days. Hopefully after seeing how powerful an Icon can be for marketing and merch, they will let them do another Icon this year. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Chance take over the show so to speak. She could say something about being tired of playing second banana and wants to prove herself as being just as capable of bringing chaos on her own without Jack. 

Since the two kind of have a Joker/Harley thing going on, it reminds me of an episode of the original Batman cartoon where Harley leaves Joker after he throws her out for botching an escape from Batman, so she tries a heist on her own, only to team up with Poison Ivy, all the while Joker is flat out helpless without her, to the point of losing his socks. They could do something similar here, like have Chance team up with another icon like Lady Luck with her time lord-like abilities to travel time and give people a chance, if you will, to make a decision. 

1 hour ago, AbeLinkedIn said:

I wouldn't mind seeing Chance take over the show so to speak. She could say something about being tired of playing second banana and wants to prove herself as being just as capable of bringing chaos on her own without Jack.

Christ, no. We don't need another circus theme or more from them. It's so overdone. She's not creepy.

I really wouldn't mind either.  He's the best of what they have...and the last time they tried an original Icon with Fear, everybody hated it so why bother trying to create a whole new one with a whole backstory (from their point of view).  So I don't see them bothering to make a new Icon in the arbitrary 26th year of the event.  Maybe the 30th will open some interdemensional portal and have a theme for a new icon.

Jack is the most popular and recognizable figure for the event so it gives marketing the most bang for their buck.  I think many people feel HHN without Jack is like Halloween III:  A Halloween movie without Michael Myers.

I get it and would be fine with it....certainly more so than years that didn't have any IconS and just had IPs in all the promotional materials. 

Of course, watching The Walking Dead recently (I haven't read a single comic so I know nothing about him) and keeping away from any potential spoilers and not mentioning anything that's not in the current commercial running about the season finale....t wouldn't surprise me if they had Negan as the Icon, taking over the park with his bat slung over his shoulder, and doing crap for his own entertainment.

That could be interesting....and cause Criticalanalysis to spontaneously combust.

Was Lady Luck well received? I think she was the last icon they made and I liked her story. Granted the concept of Lady Luck isn't really original 100% like Fear was, but in his case he was generic. Lady Luck had that versatility that allowed her to be in the backstory for all of the houses that year in some way, but I digress.

For Jack, like it or not, he's the face of HHN. The other icons get equal billing sure, but Jack is the Ronald McDonald of Horror Nights, while everyone else like Chance, Caretaker, Usher, etc. are like Hamburglar, Grimace, Birdie, etc. but the difference is they have their time to shine unlike Ronald's confidants. But just because he's the face of HHN doesn't mean he needs to be there every year. I still stand with my original post, but it doesn't have to be this year or even next year, maybe save it for 30 and expand it to the other icons who feel overlooked by Jack and want their time to prove themselves with out the clown. 

4 hours ago, criticalanalysis said:

Christ, no. We don't need another circus theme or more from them. It's so overdone. She's not creepy.

I see this brought up quite a bit and I really don't understand it. Besides Jack's stage show there was zero "circus" theming in the park last year. The street near jack had those banners which were kinda circus like, but that would be a stretch. Just because a character is an Icon doesn't mean the whole event will be themed around that Icon and his/her backstory. 

I agree that Jack and Chance are not creepy but I think that is what makes them so popular. They are twisted characters that inflict harm/death on others in the name of entertainment. All the other Icon's are sorta "one trick ponies" in a sense. They murder people in one way and that's about it. Back when we had detailed websites that really dug into the backstory of the past Icons, it made sense in how they tied into the whole event. However, characters like Usher and Storyteller could not put on a show like Jack and Chance do. They became so popular because they do more stuff than the other Icons. 

Now, it is all about marketing. It's been clear for awhile that marketing is the ring leader of the event. Why create a brand new character that NOBODY knows and stick him/her on billboards to try and sell the event? It's not going to get as much attention as a face that the Orlando area has seen multiple times in the past years. After the Lady Luck and FEAR flops, Marketing stopped using Icons. For 25 we got one back and it was a HUGE success. I would much rather have a central Icon to promote the event and put on some merch than using random IP's to promote the event. 

What got my hopes up about a Chance only year was what was said at The Entertainment Designs Forum last month. They wanted to put the focus of the show more on Chance last year to gauge fan reaction. They wanted to build up her character more. As they were talking, it really made sense when you look back at the show. She did everything. She killed the first guy. She "picked the fate" of everybody. She killed the guy with the bat and pulled off his head. She opened the show. Jack was just there to oversee what Chance did. She is more than capable to step up and run things for a year. They designed the show around Chance to see if she could go out on her own and A&D seemed really pleased with the fan reactions to Chance. Heck, even the guy who plays Jack wanted last year to shift the focus more towards Chance. I think it is only a matter of time before we get a Chance themed year and as long as they get the same actress (who really made Chance a standout character imo), I think it will be great!  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I like Jack, so I wouldn't mind if he returned. He is the embodiment of HHN, but I wouldn't mind if he didn't return for next year. I could go for either or. 

On 3/31/2016 at 6:13 PM, Badge said:

I see this brought up quite a bit and I really don't understand it. Besides Jack's stage show there was zero "circus" theming in the park last year. The street near jack had those banners which were kinda circus like, but that would be a stretch. Just because a character is an Icon doesn't mean the whole event will be themed around that Icon and his/her backstory. 

Well... They were also pumping in a version of this song throughout the park the whole night. It also added to the circus/clown theme. I do like the beat, but definitely not scary.