HHN 25 Report

Lego

I went down to hhn 25 the second weekend it was open. I thought it was honestly the best event so far. I went through all 9 houses both nights and saw the carnival of carnage show as Well. I also took an unmasking the fear tour as well. I will rate each house out of 10. 

I was staying at the royal Pacific hotel so I didn't have to wait but 5 minutes to get into the event at 630 since I used the onsite hotel guest entrance. 

A note first about express passes. I bought a rush of fear with express ticket. It was only 220 bucks and gets you into the event for the first 3 weeks and also gives you an express pass for those nights. It's a pretty good deal and I only waited in the express line but 10 minutes at most and that was later in the night. People complaining about going to the event and not buying one and seeing express pass people going ahead of them.......really? That is the privilidge of having an express pass, why should we wait in line more if we paid more. This is how capitalism works. There is no way in hell I'd wait in line for 75 minutes if I don't have to. Also this isn't universal treating non express holders bad it is just people who paid to not wait getting what they paid for. Not a hard concept to understand. 

HOUSES

The Walking Dead- 8/10

I like the show and I've been going to the event since 2012 and even though the house wasn't as big as last years there was still a lot of stuff in here. Nice scares and the walkers were more aggressive than normal. I have been reading a lot of flack about the hot tub thing and here's the deal. It gets cold in the later part if the month and in order to keep The actors safe and keep the appearance of the illusion they need to use a hot tub or else they will probably get hypothermia. Also I know some idiot in there will complain if they got water on them in that area so they probably held back a bit in that area. Overall it had a lot if good scares and memorable scenes from the show. 

Another note, The walking dead brings a lot of money from people who don't really know about the event.  The event wouldn't be here if they thought it wouldn't make money, it's not a fanboy only event, they have to cater to the general public. I recently watched a YouTube video where some kids were waiting in line and saw Michael roddy and Greg nikotero (executive producer for the walking dead) the kids waved at him and he waved back and they quickly yelled "Don't bring back walking dead." I was honestly angry and embaressed for them that They could be so rude and tasteless to a true professional in the business. Fan boys really ruin the event with a lot of unwarranted complaints about something they know nothing about. It takes a lot of work and effort to pull this event together and for mike and the gang to read some of the stuff they read or hear it must be infurriating. I think a lot of people have been spoiled by this event and don't know what a 5 or 3 out of 10 house or haunt really is. Just saying cut everyone some slack.

THEPURGE-7\10

Even though it was supposed to be a scream house I enjoyed the actor at the beginning taunting everyone. Also the scares were good as Well with chainsaws and some unexpected gun blasts. They even had anti PURGE rebels in there as well which was cool. People give universal a lot of flack for this house. You probably have no idea how hard it is to throw something togeather at the last minute on top of getting everything else in this massive event ready. Just be thankfull they didn't scrap a whole house and gave us this since the PURGE scarezone last year was pretty good.

INSIDIOUS-9/10

I am a fan of the series and was excited that Orlando got this house finally. The mood was great and scares were top notch as well. The facade outside was great as well. Many characters in this house as well as scenes from the movies. 

RUN-7/10 

I liked the 80s music and the facade was great as well. The actors were good and the varied rooms and kills were nice. A lot of unexpected scares as well. Very in your face scares.  

BODY COLLECTORS 10/10

This house was amazing. The lighting the facade and mood were great. The scares were very subtle and ramped up as the house went on. Very awesome and truly paid homage to both  houses and explained the origins of shadybrook and the body collectors as well.

FREDDY VS JASON 10/10

Great facades and sets. Has scenes from all the movies and the scares start as soon as you go in. The Jason's were huge and Freddie were great as well. The movie screens were a nice distraction from scares around the corner. Super cool famous Freddy kill scenes in the actual Freddy house. 

AWIL 9/10 

My only complaint was I thought it was a bit too dark other than that great house and the extra wolf was nice. The wolves this time were huge and looked nastier and evilbas well. The wolves motions were awesome and a nice upgrade. 

MONSTERS AND MAYHEM- 10/10

Aweomse house and has best of moments from all 25 years as well as classic monsters. This house has it all, the Jack's even had their wigs on so no need to worry about that. Super cool sets and had nightengales which was cool. 

ASYLUM IN WINDERLAND- 7/10 

Really disorienting and fun house, cool comic facade and had some nice scenes. The funny house this year. 

SCAREZONES

SCREAMPUNK 7/10

Although they didn't look that much like steampunk it was still good and had some good scares and photo ops. 

ICONS 10/10

Had icons and icon minions. Cool death scenes and another great photo op area.

ALL NIGHT DIE IN 10/10

Cool drive in facade. Had black and white and color monsters. Very nice scares and photo op area. 

PSYCHOSCAREPY 10/10

Cool sets and nice little scenes. I liked the exploding gazebo and the actors were great as well, including the blue window up in one If the new York apartments where a guy pulls a girls wig off. 

CARNICAL OF CARNAGE 10/10

Awesome show, had the laughs and the gory deaths and the actors we're great as well. Don't miss this show. I loved that it wasn't for kids and had foul language and adult jokes. 

Unmasking the fear

Super cool except for the annoying fanboy family. The tour was supposed to be maybe 2 hours and lasted 3 due to these two kids chiming in on Everything and  interrupting the tour guide to the point which she had to tell them to save all questions until the end. Afterwards she apologized to me and my gf since those two punks shoved her out of the way to see something and generally ruined the experience. Other than that it was fine, we saw body collectors Freddy vr Jason ans the 25 years house. 

Over all the event was 9/10. 

• Like 5

I love your review, and you keep it real with some of the comments about fanboys & the idea of express. 

You pay to get into the park and be able to experience everything. That's what you paid for at the gate, to come in. Others pay to experience things faster. It's really not discriminatory, it's a PERK anyone can get. If you don't have the money budget and maybe next year you will. It's like complaining that someone got a nice steak dinner and you got a hamburger because they paid the price difference and you did not <-- one of my biggest complaint pet peeves. I will never buy express/fastpasses I'll wait up to 30-45min or I'll skip it. But I understand them. 

Your house/zone reviews are nice too! Thank you for your time and awesome attitude. I would've been really upset about the guys in the tour. I also would've gone to guest relations to give the guide a nice word for trying her best with dealing with such a hard group. Sorry you had to deal with that though.

• Like 2

A note first about express passes. I bought a rush of fear with express ticket. It was only 220 bucks and gets you into the event for the first 3 weeks and also gives you an express pass for those nights. It's a pretty good deal and I only waited in the express line but 10 minutes at most and that was later in the night. People complaining about going to the event and not buying one and seeing express pass people going ahead of them.......really? That is the privileged of having an express pass, why should we wait in line more if we paid more. This is how capitalism works. There is no way in hell I'd wait in line for 75 minutes if I don't have to. Also this isn't universal treating non express holders bad it is just people who paid to not wait getting what they paid for. Not a hard concept to understand.

Seeing how this is pretty much directed at me I'll respond.
Only $220.00? For a Halloween event? Guess not all of us are made of money or have the ability to go more than once. But hey way to go on the upper-class "I'm better than you" mentality.

Sure it is a privilege to have more money than the other guy I guess and you are entitled to your opinion. All I think is the event should be accessible to everyone who pays to come in... Like it used to be. Not an event for the "elite". After all it is just a Halloween event. When you pay to come to an event you should be at least entitled to have a good time. It isn't set up that way. It's an exercise in frustration.

But to each his own. I've realized many things this year about this event. I realized I can have a great time at other events that cost a fraction of the price, are just as good, and don't piss me off nearly as much. I'll leave HHN to you rich folk.

If you don't have the money budget and maybe next year you will. It's like complaining that someone got a nice steak dinner and you got a hamburger because they paid the price difference and you did not.

Wow thanks for that. Maybe I should hire you as a financial planner for a Halloween event? Sure you get your steak. But I should at least get to eat. Regardless... have fun. That's the bottom line. I didn't and that's that.

• Like 1

Wow you're b

Seeing how this is pretty much directed at me I'll respond.Only $220.00? For a Halloween event? Guess not all of us are made of money or have the ability to go more than once. But hey way to go on the upper-class "I'm better than you" mentality.

Sure it is a privilege to have more money than the other guy I guess and you are entitled to your opinion. All I think is the event should be accessible to everyone who pays to come in... Like it used to be. Not an event for the "elite". After all it is just a Halloween event. When you pay to come to an event you should be at least entitled to have a good time. It isn't set up that way. It's an exercise in frustration.

But to each his own. I've realized many things this year about this event. I realized I can have a great time at other events that cost a fraction of the price, are just as good, and don't piss me off nearly as much. I'll leave HHN to you rich folk.

Wow thanks for that. Maybe I should hire you as a financial planner for a Halloween event? Sure you get your steak. But I should at least get to eat. Regardless... have fun. That's the bottom line. I didn't and that's that.

Wow you're being kind of a jerk towards people who buy express. The event IS accessible for everyone who pays to come in. They aren't saying "no you can't go into that house unless you pay $$" You get to experience the same exact things as the next person, it's just a matter of how fast you experience it. If not buying express ruins your night, you should definitely budget for it. Not everyone who pays for that is rich or elite, they just save up all year round so they can partake in it. Even just taking 5 dollars a week and putting it aside will give you enough to buy a full price non discounted ticket + express and money left over for food/merch. I've never bought express or anything and I'm fine without it. I understand it's a perk to pay for and I'm not entitled to a useful feature without shelling out a little extra money. Just like I shouldn't be entitled to a VIP tour unless I shell out extra money for it. I get to see the houses just like anyone else who comes to the park, express or not. I just have to patiently wait my turn. You can be poor as dirt living minimum wage and still have the desire to save up (or even splurge and make up for it working overtime) for express because you wanted to. 

Stop condescending people who choose to spend money on something to make things go a little bit faster/easier acting as if they are rich or elite because that may not be true at all. It's highly rude and distasteful towards people who try to make the most they can out of this event. I find it incredibly disparaging towards those who choose use it. 

If you want to call HHN a rich folk event, by all means I guess. But it's far from true. I don't know anyone who is rich that goes. They just save up or find discounts where they can. Sure there's rich people but lumping all together? Yeah no. 

• Like 3

Seeing how this is pretty much directed at me I'll respond.Only $220.00? For a Halloween event? Guess not all of us are made of money or have the ability to go more than once. But hey way to go on the upper-class "I'm better than you" mentality.

No offense but if the shoe fits. This wasn't directed at anyone in particular, just gets old hearing people complain that people who pay more get preferential treatment. That's what you are paying for. It isn't anything personal on the parks part, it's just how business works. Especially when I go through the line and hear an unwarranted lecture from someone in the regular line complaining about waiting when they don't have to. 

Also this event is here for only 1 month out of the year.  There are a whole 11 months to put aside 10 or 20 dollars out of every paycheck to go to this if you budget for it. 

I never said I was better than anyone, you are projecting your own personal bias into what I wrote. 

The event isn't a small time thing any more like it was back in the day, it's a major competitor with other major parks and haunt attractions as well now. The park is going to get crowded and it will get busy. do the big houses first and then everything else if you don't want to buy an express pass then. 

Well that's what great about the free market, if you don't like what someone offers you can go elsewhere. HHN isn't catered to the elite, it just has options to wait or not wait. 

I love your review, and you keep it real with some of the comments about fanboys & the idea of express. 

I've spoken with a few employees and a lot of insiders aren't fans of the uber fanboys complaining about any and everything. Especially when they are downright rude to them and or their working partners. 

I'm not a fan of people being rude in general, especially when I know these guys work hard and put their all into the event. 

I remember in 2013 when a former Artist left the company and posted on the actual HHN facebook page for orlando getting onto people about the complaints when they have no idea how the business works or how things go internally. 

• Like 3

I'm being a jerk? Telling me that I should budget better because I feel the extra money is not warranted. That's super cool though.

For the record I am not poor. Nor am I saying people who buy express are always rich. I was responding to the elitist attitude and the fact that the poster all but called me out by name. Then you backed it up and insinuated that those who don't feel the event is worth $220.00 should probably budget better. I am many things but one thing I don't do is sugar coat how I feel. Both your comments pissed me off. I've been going to this event since '91. I no longer feel like it is worth it. I still love the creativity put into it, the great sets, and the great people who work it. I have put a lot blood sweat and tears into this event and this forum. I know that matters little to you but to say I'm invested is an understatement.

We are all entitled to our opinions. Never once have I ever faulted a person for buying express (until I was attacked). In fact the system is designed so that you almost are forced to if you want to see the whole event... My reviews simply stated that the system has become a greedy money making machine and my tipping point to how much corporate B.S. I can handle has been met.

Regardless, I think it's time to move on for me. You're right there Lego, if you don't like it go somewhere else. This year was a good year to end it. Nice quarter-century mark.

I'm also stepping down from moderating and admin. I've tried before (the last two years actually) but I'm always roped back in. But I must insist now. It will be most beneficial to everyone if I'm not forced to come here and moderate everyday. I'll be happier to close this chapter of my life and, as you both said, your tired of hearing from people who don't think the event is 100% stellar.

People saying that universal treats non express pass holders bad has been said for a couple years now and my comments weren't directed at anyone in particular. If I want to direct a comment at someone I'll just do that, I'm not above naming names when I feel it's warranted. 

The tour guide confirmed what I suspected that Universal Creative members from low to high get on the forums and read what people say and take things into account. 

Just want them to know that I enjoyed the event and will continue to come. 

• Like 1

Everyone can experience the houses. There is no "system" to make people get Express, it's a laughably counter-intuitive idea. When everyone can have Express then no one will want it because then THAT line becomes the line. Goodbye demand for the product. It's priced at such a way where people will see value in obtaining it but won't be too available, nor too exclusive. Supply and demand. I think the price is absolutely reasonable and should be taken advantage of by people visiting only for a day or two. It's not a "you're rich" or 'you're poor," frankly if you can get a ticket to the event you can budget a very modest amount of money to get the Express pass.

I'll be happier to close this chapter of my life and, as you both said, your tired of hearing from people who don't think the event is 100% stellar.

Absolutely agree there. This forum is now, "Everything HHN does is perfect." 

Edited by criticalanalysis

Everyone can experience the houses. There is no "system" to make people get Express, it's a laughably counter-intuitive idea. When everyone can have Express then no one will want it because then THAT line becomes the line. Goodbye demand for the product. It's priced at such a way where people will see value in obtaining it but won't be too available, nor too exclusive. Supply and demand. I think the price is absolutely reasonable and should be taken advantage of by people visiting only for a day or two. It's not a "you're rich" or 'you're poor," frankly if you can get a ticket to the event you can budget a very modest amount of money to get the Express pass.

Absolutely agree there. This forum is now, "Everything HHN does is perfect." 

The tickets are definitely reasonably priced, especially compared to our event here in Hollywood. Our employee discount ticket with front of the line ranges between $130 and $180 PER NIGHT. It's ridiculous. I bought the pass for Orlando so I can attend Thursday - Sunday this upcoming week with FOL for $220. If I lived in Orlando, I'd be able to attend even more nights with the pass I bought. It's a fantastic deal. I could've paid $100 or so for the regular multi-night pass without front of line but I SAVED my money and splurged in order to not wait in line during my vacation. I get paid $11.25 an hour. I'm not rich, I just worked a lot and saved up in order to fly out to Orlando, pay for the hotel, and get my HHN tickets. Keep in mind I'm 21. 

Also, I don't think this forum or any of its members think it's wrong to express your thoughts on the event, even if some thoughts are negative. The event isn't perfect. I just think people get frustrated by those that have nothing nice to say, and continue to trash the event saying it's not worth attending. Why even post in an HHN forum if it's not worth attending? If it's not worth attending , I don't think it'd be worth posting about but that's just my logic... This isn't directed to you Critical. I'll admit at times I would get frustrated reading your comments about how the event isn't what it used to be, but lately you've seemed reasonable when discussing the event and you've even commended the strong points of this years event. It's totally cool not to like everything the event has to offer, and it's great to see so many people that are passionate about this event on one website. I enjoy talking to all of you, so I'll finish rambling now. Lol

• Like 4

Wow! Never seen a review invoke such a range of emotions. I think the responses are just a testament to just how passionate of fans we are to the event.  If we're posting on here (HNN) it's because we want to share our experiences (both positive and negative) and also hear other's perspectives.  That in turn opens discussion.

JDW - I know you've been attending HHN since the beginning and that's why I always enjoy hearing your take and perspective. You, Legacy and Doc have seen what the event started as, what it was, what it's become and can see where it's heading. I know you were getting disenfranchised during the burned speculation period and wanted to step back.  At the time, I mentioned that I understood and hoped you'd take a breather and then come back...and you did.  I'm hoping you can do that again.

My take lately is that the event is expensive and last year was my first express year after 10 without. Did it again this year. Mainly it's because I hate lines, in general, anywhere. I do think the Fla resident FFP w/express is a great deal, but it is expensive to me.  Even budgeting it. And I'm not an AP holder so I'm also hit up for parking every night I go and then for any F&B. It adds up. So with that, yes, I'll always have high expectations for the event. But I mainly go just to have fun. It's a great escape to know during the week on multiple nights I can head over for a bit and unwind after work.  I've tried to temper my expectations. Having done a FFP for going on 6-7 years now, I also think I've become desensitized to the event some and I try to stay open minded as a result.  It's easy to see what I used to like no longer being done and get pissed about it.  And I hate saying "it is what it is," but that pretty much sums it up. But I also won't stop expecting bigger and better.  And I worry that up-charge houses will be the next wave. HHN is and has been in a Bull Market right now, but everything's cyclical and a Bear awaits in the not too distant future.

To close, I don't think anything in the review here was aimed at anyone, it was just a review. If people need to take some time away from the board, please do, but only if that will cement your future return.

• Like 3

I appreciate the kind words. Honestly, I guess I mistook his comments about "People complaining" but I've been the biggest detractor lately and my recent review stated my unhappiness with said express issue. But I do apologize if that was not geared at me. The sentiment is still the same though.

I'm floored people think those prices are "good deals". Maybe I'm just old... or I just don't value the event to the extent everyone here does. I guess there in lies the rub. No offense to anyone who lives and breathes HHN. (The 2005-2010 version of me would be yelling at me too). But I did call that I would not like it... got talked into going.. and I didn't really. So yeah a bit ticked I wasted the money. Then again, still glad I went but my idea of a "good time" is not how many drunken belligerent clowns you can cram into a park and make wait. Really a perfect storm for me: Expensive, wait times, and people. If anyone of those were lessened I think I would have enjoyed it a great deal more. But they weren't and my enjoyment was outweighed immeasurably by my frustration.

So it is time for me to move on. I have bigger things to concern myself with. I want no animosity with anyone and you all will be better off with an admin/mod who shares your love of the event. I'll stay a member to post elsewhere on the forum but I have no interest in HHN or dealing with it.

Anyway, this is Lego's review and I'm clogged it up enough. If you want to discuss it further with me just message me or hit me up on FB.

Cheers/

• Like 1

My Comments weren't aimed at anyone in particular. I get that people don't want to pay for an express pass and want to wait for how over long. It's a business. I don't live in orlando so I'm going to buy an express pass to make the most out of the event when I'm there. 

As for the walking dead, yeah I get that a lot of people don't want it back. Some people love it. I personally don't mind it and enjoyed this years as well as last years. I'm sure that the people at creative fought tooth and nail to not do it again either, but they get their marching orders from someone else who in turn gets their orders form someone else, so they are going to do the house to the best of their abilities.  As for rating it as a 5/10 or 4 or even 0's, I take offense to that since I think some of those people don't know what a 0 or 1 out of 10 house really is. Some people have been spoiled by this event and think that it only caters to them when it's about getting as many people as they can to come to the event and have fun at the same time. 

The bill and ted show, people should be thankful that Orlando still has one since hollywoods got axed and probably won't come back. It's a good show and has some talented people writing and choreographing it. Again people rating it as a skippable show is a ridiculous exaggeration. I've seen some pretty crappy shows and bill and ted isn't one of them.

I feel like the community has bred some pretty elitist/hipster characters that think because they went to all the years or even the earlier years that there word is somehow gospel truth and that anyone else who is new to the event or hasn't been going for as long opinions doesn't matter or is wrong. I've had someone tell me that I wouldn't know a good HHN since I haven't been to any old events.

I've watched kids tell Greg Nikotero (Executive Producer for Walking Dead and Veteran Special Effects Legend) to not bring back walking dead. I attended a HHN Q and A panel and basically heard complaint after complaint directed at Universal Creative and everyone including someone basically complaining about the inclusion of classic movie monsters (Which is what got Universal their start in the movies and are favorites of many employee at Universal)  at the event which I thought was pretty rude.

It must be pretty disheartening to put your all into something and only receive complaint after complaint, even about something that they can't control. Especially with AWIL. That was a house that they tried for years to do and knocked it out of the park when they did it. Brought it back this year only to more complaints about it or saying to just skip it in general. An extra wolf was added and the wolves looked better than 2013's. 

The event isn't just for veterans and it isn't an exclusive club where only a certain few are allowed to enjoy it. The events for everyone and that's why there are new ip's for the general public and original houses that cater to the experienced crowd who enjoy the lore and characters they make. Maybe someone might go through and begin to inquire more about the past events and characters. Might win over some lifelong fans in the process. 

Just saying, cut them some slack, not every house is going to be knocked out of the park but they aren't crap and they aren't terrible. 

• Like 3