The "Official" Annual Discussion On The Fate Of HHN

Ande

So from that Q & A session mike had, looks like no icon this year (hhn is more the icon and the houses are separate), all scare zones are back (don't think there will be any roaming), and chainsaws are back featured in the purge SZ! There is a lot more questions he answered on his twitter.

• Like 2

I hate the lame answer that "HHN is the icon". What does that even mean? HHN is the event.

An icon is:

• a person or thing regarded as a representative symbol of something.

That's like saying HHN is a representative symbol of itself. If the thing being represented is the icon of itself... It is simply itself.

• Like 6

So from that Q & A session mike had, looks like no icon this year (hhn is more the icon and the houses are separate), all scare zones are back (don't think there will be any roaming), and chainsaws are back featured in the purge SZ! There is a lot more questions he answered on his twitter.

No icon, and no theme this year, either.

"what is the theme this year? If there is one.. last year's theme wasn't really clear"

"this is one of those Pandora's Box type years where HHN itself is the theme and the content stands alone."

Sigh...well then who opened Pandora's Box and let all of this evil out, Mike? Even a simple icon & theme like that would be better than nothing. Oh well, here's hoping they do it up big for the 25th anniversary.

• Like 1

I hate the lame answer that "HHN is the icon". What does that even mean? HHN is the event.

An icon is:

That's like saying HHN is a representative symbol of itself. If the thing being represented is the icon of itself... It is simply itself.

I feel like marketing is keeping A&D from implementing an icon...

• Like 2

Is it me or does there seem to be in inordinate amount of leaks this year? This will be my 10th year going to HHN, and I've never experienced a time when all of the first announcements were trumped by leaks.

Also, I was SO hoping for a little promo video about Halloween coming to HHN - you know, like the video they made promoting Silent Hill? I love those little videos. The Silent Hill one would give me chills every time I watched it - and I was never even a Silent Hill fan (in fact, I didn't even know what it was until you all explained it).

Sorry, I'm behind on my reading here - so I'm trying to catch up and I see that Hollywood is getting AWIL? Is this true?? Holy mother of god.. I'm seriously considering trying to shoehorn a trip to LA into this season just for that house. It was my fave of all time, and I MISS IT.

While I"m yapping - has anyone been on the LT page (aka hhn23experience) lately? I'm sure you all realize the games level is now denied.. how long has that been down?

• Like 1

An icon is:

I think it means that they can't think of anything to tie all of these IPs together with. Although HomemadeHaunt may be right. Higher ups may not want one.

• Like 1

I think it means that they can't think of anything to tie all of these IPs together with. Although HomemadeHaunt may be right. Higher ups may not want one.

My biggest problem is that Singapore is getting a really cool idea for their event and its seems like we just continue using "Hollywood" model for ours when we should be doing what Singapore is doing and use the "Orlando" model of an HHN event... I still refuse to except this is our eternal fate and that we are just going through a dark period in HHN. I should have prefaced by saying I have enjoyed every year I've been I just feel 09 and 11 where I could connect with the event before going and still look back fondly on those characters means something more to me...

• Like 6

My biggest problem is that Singapore is getting a really cool idea for their event and its seems like we just continue using "Hollywood" model for ours when we should be doing what Singapore is doing and use the "Orlando" model of an HHN event... I still refuse to except this is our eternal fate and that we are just going through a dark period in HHN. I should have prefaced by saying I have enjoyed every year I've been I just feel 09 and 11 where I could connect with the event before going and still look back fondly on those characters means something more to me...

If we don't get some sort of theme and/or icon next year for the 25th anniversary, I'll be very surprised. Especially if TWD doesn't make a 4th appearance. It seems like they started the "Hollywood" model when TWD showed up. Who needs an icon when they can plaster zombies all over their website, billboards and t-shirts. Hopefully we will see next year if this has all been the fault of TWD. Fingers crossed.

But I really do think this will be a good year, icon or not. At least we have our SZs back. That's a step in the right direction.

• Like 3

Remember that year when HHN uh had the zombie crawling out oF a prison cell... yeah just isn't all that cool

Regardless, even without an icon, this year is a year to remember. Even TWD will be completely amazing with a lot more surprises than have been revealed yet. Good stong original houses, solid IPs, and Scare zones. Can't wait.

• Like 7

Honestly, does not having an icon make the event any worse? The houses is what makes me buy tickets and express passes. Some random icon promoting the event is a waste of time anymore IMO. It's my opinion but the IPs are what are selling tickets now. New people coming to HHN is because walking dead, Halloween, AVP.,,,

• Like 2

I mean what i see a icon as is what scare zones are more based on. The houses don't really relate to the icon or theme. We are finally getting scare zones and I have no doubt they'll be amazingly nostalgic! No over-arching theme.... Who cares we're getting scare zones back and as well we have a great line up ahead of us!!

• Like 3

I don't really have a great memory so the icons gave me something to instantly remember a year by... sure certain houses I can still picture major elements of but most of the houses aren't in my head quite like I wish. Instead Icons gave me something or more importantly someone that I could look back and say that was cool, and if I begin to forget I can reread their biography that was created and instantly feel that connection again... It may sound lame to some of you I guess idk, I just know that even my favorite houses will never give me the same feeling I have when I hear Julian Browning ask for my tickets or hear Jack tell me I don't know him... I guess what I'm trying to say is they have also had the houses perfected and probably always will, but the event feels a little less without that main figurehead there to take us on their journey through horror...

So they were not tied to the icon really. So all she was, was a face on billboards and a house. I am the oppsite, I much prefer the houses and remember them very well and do not care about an icon. I remember all the details that went into Gothic two years ago, Scary Tales in 2008, and so on. Everyone is different, but I can easily see why they don't worry about it any more. The IPs are what brings in the money so they are the icons.

• Like 3

I know the houses are what draw certain people in, but I think the scare zones set the whole atmosphere of the event. With that being said, 2012 was bar far the worst year I've attended.

So far, things definitely look like they are getting better compared to the last couple years. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

The year they stop putting on the Bill & Ted Show is the year I stop going.

Edited by ThNdIzNiR
  • Like 1

Ya know, I honestly find this whole icon thing pretty funny. Alot of people tend to like to yell that they dont listen to the fans, but I think they definitely do. Think about it.. HHN 21 had Lady Luck and the reaction was overwhelmingly negative. Maybe they figured "hey they didnt like our last idea, lets just focus on bringing the best environments to the event to build and set our houses in" for a few years.

• Like 5

Guest kiwisoup

Ultimately what I go for is the houses. People get so tied up in the Icon, the website, Legendary Truth, commercials, scare zones, etc...I'd rather just have the budget put towards the houses. When the Icon has been used more effectively, like with Bloody Mary, the icon has an effect on the entire event and things start to get really similar in theme, when I'd rather have a variety of vastly different experiences.

I've always thought it would be cool if each house or like 6 out of the 8 houses at least had their own surrounding "scare zone" themed to the house...combined with a really cool facade and of course the house, it would make a much more cohesive and immersive experience to me than an Icon.

Edited by kiwisoup

I enjoyed seeing the icons roaming the streets. Especially Jack.

He had such a dark but humorous personality that was always fun to watch and listen to him pick on people. I miss the element of interaction that these spooky characters added to the event. It's changed a bit, but I'm sure over the next couple years, we'll get originality back on our side, especially if next year truly is an anniversary year.

Think about it: I would rather not have Jack this year, but see Jack AND a bunch of other past Icons next year. It would be worth the wait. Especially if icons like Eddie, Jack, or the Caretaker are involved!

Just wait! I'm 99% sure the icons will return next year.

As for this year, I think the lineup is AWESOME! Yes, I wish it were 4/4 , but come on! AVP, Halloween, and strong based originals! The lineup is looking very good, and at least the Scarezones will be returning! That's one step closer to the right direction, guys...

Edited by JackTheREAPER
  • Like 2

Ultimately what I go for is the houses. People get so tied up in the Icon, the website, Legendary Truth, commercials, scare zones, etc...I'd rather just have the budget put towards the houses. When the Icon has been used more effectively, like with Bloody Mary, the icon has an effect on the entire event and things start to get really similar in theme, when I'd rather have a variety of vastly different experiences.

I've always thought it would be cool if each house or like 6 out of the 8 houses at least had their own surrounding "scare zone" themed to the house...combined with a really cool facade and of course the house, it would make a much more cohesive and immersive experience to me than an Icon.

I really like your scare zone idea. But what I think you are missing is the fact that icons, the website, LT, commercials, etc. are what help the fans connect to the event. You can't dismiss those elements from the event. There can still be strong focus on houses whilst having continued focus on icons, the website, LT, and other elements. Just my take on things.

• Like 1

It's funny how some talk about "originality" but ask for the clown, director and so on and so on. Those characters have been over done to death, even worse then the walking dead. How is that original? The last icon was lady luck and she was bashed to kingdom come, in hhn 20they had all of your beloved icons and everybody especially here bashed the event for whatever reason. So some cry bloody murder because they "plaster" zombies in the streets, merchandise, billboards, and everywhere in between, yet silence rules when they "plaster" the same tired overused icons in merchandise, billboards, and streets. What draws me like a few others are the houses, and don't lose anysleep over icons, backstories, or some "overarching theme". Does that make me any less of a fan? I rwally don't think so.

• Like 4