Halloween Horror Nights 2013 Planning and Tips

so whats the gameplan now? for the people who went to employee night.

I was thinking Insidious, Evil Dead, backlot, Walking Dead, Black Sabbath, then go back up to take a small break, go Terror Tram, el Cucuy, and then Remix. (If there's not enough time for remix, then go finish the night with Bill and Ted)

Black Sabbath had the longest line at the top of the night and it stayed that way the whole night. Hopefully its not like that when the event actually starts though. But ya know, these are people in the know, and so they all figured to do the backlot first. It'll be a much more mixed bag with the GP involved.

I'm still sticking with my lower lot first gameplan, UNLESS the entire crowd is herding to the backlot. This is also depending if there's Transformers early access. So I have 3 gameplans that can be used, depending on the circumstances.

Who knew going to HHN would be so hard :( haha

Edited by DTH316

I'll be keeping track hard tomorrow. One thing I noticed is that the sign for El Cucuy is right by Survive the Night, which is certainly going to suck up some of the crowds early on.

I'm trying to think about which house has the most to gain from being the center of the scares. I think Insidious and Black Sabbath are going to be more scenery based compared to Evil Dead and Walking Dead.

I'll post mine in a bit, but he's absolutely right.

You

Must

Do

The

Backlot

First

MUST

I promise you

TWD and BS both reached 2 hours and 30 minutes at some point.

And had an hour long line at least by 8.

Must - do - the - backlot - first.

And if at all possible, do early access.

HEED MY WARNING!

Well, not necessarily. I wanted to early entry, but ONE person in my group wanted to see the opening, when we weren't even close to the front when we were lined up at the gates, so we didn't go... (My whole fucking group was just a bunch of fucking retards tonight.)

Pre TL;DR: We did Lower lot first, then backlot. Had all of that done excluding Jurassic Park (Which we could've done if we wanted to) by 8:30.

ANYWAY, we ran straight to lower lot. And for the first year ever, a LOT of people ran to the lower lot first. The most of I've ever seen BY FAR. It was kinda scary. We went to Insidious first since the line had this weird shape to it, even though I meant to do Evil Dead first. We just stuck it out 'cause we were in line. I expected Evil Dead to have a huge line after that. It didn't, 10 minutes.

We did:
- Insidious
- Evil Dead
- Walking Dead
- Black Sabbath (Had like a 30-45 minute wait by this time, I think)
- Transformers
- The Mummy
- Simpson's Ride
- Monster's Remix
- Chucky and Clownz scarezones
- El Cucuy
- Bill and Ted's

By the end, it started getting stupid. My group decided they wanted to sit down for no reason at all, and when I started leaving, and they slowly got up, my girlfriend and I separated from them. We went to Monster's, even though I wanted to go to El Cucuy, but I wasn't saying anything. Then we went through the scarezones, then onto El Cucuy. We got out by like 11:00. Could've easily done the Terror Tram and had time to make it to the 12:30 Bill and Ted's. But we decided we wanted to meet up with our friends again. Who in that time (About a full hour), got food and went into the no wait Monster's remix. We caught up with them by 11:30 in front of Bill And Ted's. They decided they wanted to wait the full hour for the show. -.- I wasn't talking tonight for other reasons that I won't go into on this thread or possibly ever, so I just sat there with them. For an hour. When we could've done the Terror Tram...

So, in the end. I would recommend backlot first, too, but if you hustle, you can do lower lot first and not have that much of a problem. That being said, I'm going again tomorrow and will be doing the early entry to the backlot. With only my girlfriend and I. So no stupid shit group decisions.

Edited by Kurseddragon

So my maze/scare zone order was:

Scarecrowz

Dead on Arrival ( a little after 6:30. Our tram was empty except for car 3)

TWD: No Safe Haven (maybe a 5 min wait, maybe even less than that)

Black Sabbath (10-15 min wait)

Insidious (About a 5 min wait)

Evil Dead ( About a 5 min wait)

Jurassic Park ( walked right in)

Ate at Jurassic Cafe ( the mummy had a 0 min wait at this time so we could have done it but decided not too)

Transformers ( 25 min wait)

Went though all upper lot scare zones which led us to

UMR: (10 min wait)

Terror Tram: 45 min wait

El Cucuy: 50 min wait

Then the simpsons to finish the night

Also to correct myself we finished everything above at 12:30.

Okay guys I got 4 mazes done by 8 o'clock and I didn't do the early entry, I watched the opening scareamonies. I ran to the lower lot did took the tram to the back lot waited like 10 mins for black sabbath then walked into walking dead litterly!!!

Then went back to the lower lot and walked into insidious and evil dead :o not kidding guys!!!!! I should note that I did run from the opening scareamonies to the back lot tram though.

Anyways that just left El Cucuy and Terror Tram left :) so you guys can do it all in one night especially if you do early entry :P

But yea towards the middle of the night like at 12 the lines in the back lot were insane!!! DO THIS FIRST!!!!!!!

Literally they were almost 3 hour waits :o

Early entry confused me last year too, but I get it now. It needs some good explaining, so here it is.

Its RIGHT AFTER SECURITY CHECK.

Go all the way to the right.

There will be a few signs that say EARLY ACCESS.

There's a will call/VIP pick up area and you'll know you're in the right place.

Then there's a line where they scan your tickets and you're held in front of WATERWORLD. From there, they let you in closer and closer and then finally they let you go at 630.

The way it was explained to me last year is I thought I actually go in Universal the normal way and then just go to the right by Waterworld and there'd be some line. Apparently not.

Your night does start off weird though with no scares. It didn't feel right. But I prefer being done early and not worrying about lines. However, it did make arriving at DOA all the more epic as that was the first real scarezone (sorry Scarecrowz) that you see.

I'm noticing something a bit strange. 9 o clock and the upper lot mazes are less than 10 mins.

Cucuy and UMR with a 10 min wait each. TT with a 5 min wait.

Looks like the backlot and lower lot are a vortex for crowds now at the beginning of the night. This is very strange!

Opening Night we did Insidious first (I got the very last Spectral Sightings card), Then Evil Dead, Black Sabbath, Walking Dead. We finished the first four by 8! We did Terror Tram after, then El Cucuy with a posted 45 minute wait but it was about 30. Then UMR which was a walk on. We finished with pleanty of time to line up for the 11:15 Bill and Ted. So that game plan worked out really well for me.

Opening Night we did Insidious first (I got the very last Spectral Sightings card), Then Evil Dead, Black Sabbath, Walking Dead. We finished the first four by 8! We did Terror Tram after, then El Cucuy with a posted 45 minute wait but it was about 30. Then UMR which was a walk on. We finished with pleanty of time to line up for the 11:15 Bill and Ted. So that game plan worked out really well for me.

You were literally right in front me if you got that card.. ):

Idk if they stop you, but times dramatically drop at 1 am, that's for sure.

Also, a planning tip. Listen to the people around you. Everyone on Friday was talking about Black Sabbath. Whether it was they heard good things about the maze, or knew to head there first, or just plain liked Black Sabbath in general. That line was the longest and filled up quickest. On Saturday, all I heard was Walking Dead. Nothing but Walking Dead. That line filled up and nearly doubled Black Sabbath that night. Which was weird 'cause the Walking Dead Terror Tram was walk-on the entire night. Never passed 10 minutes, but still. LISTEN AROUND!

Edited by Kurseddragon